Brian Rice

Quite a week for Accies. 3 points gifted to us by the SPFL, then 3 points won today.

6 points in a week is a big deal at the bottom of the league. We leapfrog St Mirren and Ross County, move out of the relegation spot, and above the play-off spot too.

I’m having a few glasses of wine tonight.
Nice one mate, happy for you! Hopefully you can keep it going.

I like Rice but would happily see the back of a plastic pitch and such a poorly supported club. A team like Dunfermline or Raith are far better supported and could offer much more to the division.

Brian Rice is a decent guy but let's not forget that horrible kunt Les Gray on their board so they can get to fuk like every other Scottish team.

Quite a week for Accies. 3 points gifted to us by the SPFL, then 3 points won today.

6 points in a week is a big deal at the bottom of the league. We leapfrog St Mirren and Ross County, move out of the relegation spot, and above the play-off spot too.

I’m having a few glasses of wine tonight.
Hopefully we do you the expected favour v County tomorrow

There’s absolutely zero justification for plastic pitches in our league no matter how you dress it up.

I’ve got no idea why you brought up a pitch from last season because that’s been and gone and it’s not the same now...... but if we’re speaking about St Johnstone’s pitch from last year..... just look at the state of our pitch last season (February time.... it was as bad as anyone’s)

Grass over plastic all day long for me.
Braga and Leverkusen passed us off the park on that pitch post-February. The problem with our pitch was pretty much just looking awful. There were players falling over mounds of dirt at St Johnstone.

We had problems with the pitch gouging at the start of the season a few years back but generally our pitch is great apart from some bald spots after bad weather.

I dont understand why a shite grass pitch is automatically better than a 'good' plastic pitch, other than wanting to be a traditionalist. If certain teams had plastic pitches in 2007-08 we'd have won the treble and been in a much better position to win the Uefa Cup.

Last edited:
I’ve got nothing against them. Or most clubs, for that matter.

I’m not that keen on either of the Dundee clubs. Or Partick Thistle. Especially Partick Thistle.

But I can rub along with most of the rest.

I’ve got family who are Rangers fans. And my grandfather was an Airdrieonian. And my son plays for Clyde (our local team, these days), at his age group. My English team is Spurs, and I like Crystal Palace because of the McArthur/McCarthy connection, and because they used to be my local team. So they all get plus points.
Quicker to tell us who you don’t have a soft spot for :p

Braga and Leverkusen passed us off the park on that pitch post-February. The problem with our pitch was pretty much just looking awful. There were players falling over mounds of dirt at St Johnstone.

We had problems with the pitch gouging at the start of the season a few years back but generally our pitch is great apart from some bald spots after bad weather.

I dont understand why a shite grass pitch is automatically better than a 'good' plastic pitch, other than wanting to be a traditionalist. If certain teams had plastic pitched in 2007-08 we'd have won the treble and been in a much better position to win the Uefa Cup.

I don’t understand why the condition of a specific grass pitch during a period from 2019/20 matters in a general discussion about pitches in 2020/21. When each and every grass pitch in the top flight right now is better than any of the plastic pitches on offer.

Maybe best ask the professional players what’s the preferred option. Fire up a link/comment for any player (or manager) that quotes plastic as being the surface of choice.

Edit: that’s a very bold prediction you made circa 2007 considering the types of injuries some of our players got back then (even on grass), with nothing other than opinion to back up your claim.

I’ve never met Mr Rice but he appears to be a genuine guy. I would like to see the Accies stay up despite their horrid pitch. Must be the Brit in me that loves an underdog punching far above their weight.

I don’t understand why the condition of a specific grass pitch during a period from 2019/20 matters in a general discussion about pitches in 2020/21. When each and every grass pitch in the top flight right now is better than any of the plastic pitches on offer.

Maybe best ask the professional players what’s the preferred option. Fire up a link/comment for any player (or manager) that quotes plastic as being the surface of choice.

Edit: that’s a very bold prediction you made circa 2007 considering the types of injuries some of our players got back then (even on grass), with nothing other than opinion to back up your claim.
Id rather football was played on grass. Which ive already said.

Games were called off due pitches, especially Motherwell iirc, during the really crap winter which caused the start of the fixture congestion, compounded by us reaching the final of every tournament.

If it wasn’t for the pitch I’d want them to stay up but not too bothered either way.

But with Brian Rice as manager I’d want them to stay up as he’s one of the decent guys out there and even more so considering his background.

Id rather football was played on grass. Which ive already said.

Games were called off due pitches, especially Motherwell iirc, during the really crap winter which caused the start of the fixture congestion, compounded by us reaching the final of every tournament.

Shïtey grass pitches aren’t great. Not at all. But those grass pitches aren’t shïte all year round and they can/could be repaired and maintained better (our own included).

Plastic pitches are shïte all year round, full stop. Some plastic pitches are better than others (accies in comparison to Livi for instance) but let’s not pretend one is good and one is bad. It’s just a different level of shïtness which lasts a full season.

Academical, I always remember the story when you beat us in 1997, one of your fans and his son were weating outside the broomloan front, when a Rangers fan appeared next to him expecting a slap, instead the bluenose gave his son a fiver and wished his team all the best.class.

I’ve got nothing against them. Or most clubs, for that matter.

I’m not that keen on either of the Dundee clubs. Or Partick Thistle. Especially Partick Thistle.

But I can rub along with most of the rest.

I’ve got family who are Rangers fans. And my grandfather was an Airdrieonian. And my son plays for Clyde (our local team, these days), at his age group. My English team is Spurs, and I like Crystal Palace because of the McArthur/McCarthy connection, and because they used to be my local team. So they all get plus points.

Mate

Can I ask why you come on here? As far as I am concerned, you are most welcome. You love your football and you have a decent grasp of politics and you are Unionist to the core.

Do you have an affinity for the Gers or the fans?

Your manager is a thoroughly decent guy, and for me, the perfect antidote for all of the sectarian bile that affects our country. He heaps praise on Rangers and even says that he aspires to create a team that plays like us.

I am glad you got your freebie points as your boys try to play football and well done on your win today.

6points in a week for Accies by winning 1 game ,well done. These are the rules I think'
Did the teams know these rules were in place or have they just been made up like the rules for awarding titles and relegation. Can't remember reading anything about the 0-3 awards apart from the league cup games . A mystery why celtic and aberdeen didn't suffer from these rules.

I don't mid the Accies.

I'd have St Boo doon and Morton up, Hertz can getae and do one...

Mate

Can I ask why you come on here? As far as I am concerned, you are most welcome. You love your football and you have a decent grasp of politics and you are Unionist to the core.

Do you have an affinity for the Gers or the fans?

Your manager is a thoroughly decent guy, and for me, the perfect antidote for all of the sectarian bile that affects our country. He heaps praise on Rangers and even says that he aspires to create a team that plays like us.

I am glad you got your freebie points as your boys try to play football and well done on your win today.
I’m a Timposter. o_O

Nah, I’ve been posting on here since season 2002/03. Lurking as far back as 2001. I’ve told the story many times. In the days of the Rivals portal you could use one sign-on and then jump from one club’s forum to another via a drop-down menu. Many of us did just that. I stayed here because I was made welcome, and I regarded FF (and still do) as the biggest and best football forum in Scotland.

I was genuinely shocked by the widespread hatred for Rangers I found in later seasons. I don’t hate any other club - even Motherwell. And it’s a shame it’s now seen as odd to post on another team’s forum.

Don’t like the Accies chairman but don’t mind their manager and hope they stay up.
Again, I think you mean Les Gray.

The Accies Chairman is Allan Maitland, our former manager, and a top bloke.

Our majority shareholder is Ronnie McDonald, who I understand is actually a bluenose.

I’ve thought so all season. And I’m usually an optimist. The last few days have given me pause for thought.

I thought we’d go down last season. COVID saved us, although to be fair we were having a bit of a mini-revival before the season stopped. If it had stopped a few weeks earlier, we’d have been gone.

There’s not much at all between Accies, St Mirren and probably 1 or two others.

I despise the pitch but have nothing much against Accies as a club, they have a very good record of developing and selling good young players.

I’m a Timposter. o_O

Nah, I’ve been posting on here since season 2002/03. Lurking as far back as 2001. I’ve told the story many times. In the days of the Rivals portal you could use one sign-on and then jump from one club’s forum to another via a drop-down menu. Many of us did just that. I stayed here because I was made welcome, and I regarded FF (and still do) as the biggest and best football forum in Scotland.

I was genuinely shocked by the widespread hatred for Rangers I found in later seasons. I don’t hate any other club - even Motherwell. And it’s a shame it’s now seen as odd to post on another team’s forum.
There used to be a few fans of other teams post on here often. There were a few Hearts fans and Jamboreid still posts on here , a Hibs fan, a Dunfermline fan iirc there was even a Celtc fan on here at one stage. He let the mask slip quickly though.

Youre one of the most level headed posters on here, its always good getting an 'outsiders' opinion as well. And if you hadnt been here during the independence referendum most of us wouldve gone nuts.

Your team are my locals and they are my brother's second team.

Your attitude and that of Brian Rice has made me comfortable to wish you and your team all the best.

One of the few games where I am pretty much guaranteed an away ticket, so I am well pleased for them to stay up. Add to that, Accademical is a class guy whose commentary on the referendum was spot on. I just hope it is a long time before he needs to do it again

Again, I think you mean Les Gray.

The Accies Chairman is Allan Maitland, our former manager, and a top bloke.

Our majority shareholder is Ronnie McDonald, who I understand is actually a bluenose.

I have one more question, and answer this one carefully.

Firstly I appreciate that most fans of other clubs hate Celtic and Rangers equally. I am being careful not to mention the "Old Firm" as that died when the Jungles refused to accept that we had survived.

Arithmetically, its still possible for your team to win league. If this does not happen and there was a stark choice between Rangers and Celtic, who would you choose?

I have one more question, and answer this one carefully.

Firstly I appreciate that most fans of other clubs hate Celtic and Rangers equally. I am being careful not to mention the "Old Firm" as that died when the Jungles refused to accept that we had survived.

Arithmetically, its still possible for your team to win league. If this does not happen and there was a stark choice between Rangers and Celtic, who would you choose?
Stop being a dick. He is a long time poster so that in itself should answer your question

Back