Brighton's disallowed goal what a farce

Lewis Dunk looking to get himself a ban there.

In saying that, typical TV grabbing the guy while emotions are still running high.

I'd be more raging with Gross and Welbeck for those fanny attempts at penalties.
What do they expect? ‘Ref’s got a difficult job and obviously we have to cut him some slack what with him being a fucking moron and all’
Mind you, he might be better looking at his strikers. One goal in 65 chances created. I genuinely hate Neil Maupay. With quarantine hotels, Potter can’t even get Maupay’s mum flown over from France so he can practice trying to hit her arse with a fucking canoe paddle. Have to make do with swiping at and missing a coo’s erse with a banjo instead.

Last edited:
All the shenanigans in that game probably cost me and my pal a tidy sum 2 1-1 draws each we pick(8500), we had West Brom , killie, Birmingham and Blackburn , if brighton score or one of their pens gets converted we were only waiting on Birmingham, had a cash out of 600 with 10 to go after Birmingham equalise , would have been 4 or 5 grand if one of the pens counted, absolutely gutted.
Yes I know birmingham went on to win 2-1 but if all 4 were 1-1 with 5-10 mins left we would had that tidy cash out.:mad:

Aside my personal view of Lee Mason. The Referee doesn't have to blow the whistle to restart the game. He only has to give a signal.
However, when the attacking team want the defenders the full 10 yards away, and not a quick free kick, it is common practice by the Ref to tell them to wait on the whistle to restart.
That’s not true.

otherwise players would either take a touch before hitting it or try to dribble it toward goal
I remember years ago taking a penalty keeper saved it came back to me I took a touch the keeper moved out the way and let me slot it in. He had a big smug grin on his face at first then couldn't understand why the goal stood. He thought the taker wasnt allowed to touch it again even if the keeper saved it

Is that the excuse though he blew his whistle thinking the GK was ready? And then again when he knew he'd fucked it? Poor officiating whichever way this is put
There is no rule the ref has to wait for the goalkeeper or defending team to 'be ready'!
They have been penalised for a foul!

Just about the craziest decision ever. Blows for the free kick to be taken and then when it’s about to cross the line for a goal, blows his whistle again.
Edit..... just listening to Allardyce now. What a slug that man is.

If I’m not mistaken I remember giggs scoring one of these for Man U and it stood

the ref shouldn’t be blowing the whistle until the go is ready or what’s the point

Aside my personal view of Lee Mason. The Referee doesn't have to blow the whistle to restart the game. He only has to give a signal.
However, when the attacking team want the defenders the full 10 yards away, and not a quick free kick, it is common practice by the Ref to tell them to wait on the whistle to restart.
He did blow the whistle!

There is no rule the ref has to wait for the goalkeeper or defending team to 'be ready'!
They have been penalised for a foul!

You're right and you're wrong here.

There is no rule that the ref has to wait for the defending team to be ready but if the attacking team ask for the 10 yard rule to be enforced then the game restarts on the referees whistle. So if the referee has walked out the 10 yards for the wall then the quick free kick cant be taken.

This to me is just referee error and it should've (wrongly) been a goal.

When the referee marks out the 10 yards then he should allow time for the defending team to get organised. In this case, he didn't, and when he blows his whistle the ball is back in play and the goal should stand.

When the free kick is hit, the players they say are offside are nowhere near the eyeline of the goalkeeper so can't be deemed offside.

The free kick shouldn't have been allowed to have been taken until the defensive team were organised but the referee blew his whistle so the goal should stand.

There's so many errors that it's actually quite laughable.

The bit I find strangest about the whole thing is why the %^*& is Lewis Dunk hitting free kicks from just outside the box?

I remember years ago taking a penalty keeper saved it came back to me I took a touch the keeper moved out the way and let me slot it in. He had a big smug grin on his face at first then couldn't understand why the goal stood. He thought the taker wasnt allowed to touch it again even if the keeper saved it
What a stupid keeper!

Ref blows the whistle = good to go.

The two players weren't offside either, no chance.

There is no rule that the ref has to wait for the defending team to be ready but if the attacking team ask for the 10 yard rule to be enforced then the game restarts on the referees whistle. So if the referee has walked out the 10 yards for the wall then the quick free kick cant be taken.

When the referee marks out the 10 yards then he should allow time for the defending team to get organised. In this case, he didn't, and when he blows his whistle the ball is back in play and the goal should stand.

When the free kick is hit, the players they say are offside are nowhere near the eyeline of the goalkeeper so can't be deemed offside.

The free kick shouldn't have been allowed to have been taken until the defensive team were organised but the referee blew his whistle so the goal should stand.

The bit I find strangest about the whole thing is why the %^*& is Lewis Dunk hitting free kicks from just outside the box?
Well, FM Chester. Am I right or wrong. No forget that! Was the ref (he is the one that matters), Was he right or wrong?

No he’s not. He’s not in the goalkeeper’s eye line.
That has always been the bone of contention with the off side rule.
The right back beside the corner flag was playing everyone onside, whilst the forward beside the corner flag 'was not interfering with play'!

Nothing wrong with it, the Brighton players are ready, wall is ready and ref is ready so goal stands. It could be a season defining moment in Brighton's fight for survival.

Safe to say this entire game has been a shambles.

Ref poor at the disallowed goal.
Brighton poor at the penalties.
Commentators poor at the second penalty.

Ah, the EPL. Best League in the World!
Don't know if the standard has gotten better, but when I had a season ticket at Fulham a decade ago the referees in the English Premier League were no better than their Scottish cousins. Officiating is a thankless task, but feels to me that only a minority are consistently good at their jobs.

Ref blows the whistle = good to go.

The two players weren't offside either, no chance.
Wasn't the issue that the ref also blew the whistle again before the ball went in the net and that was supposed to be the reason that the goal was disallowed as it supposedly stopped play again?

Well, FM Chester. Am I right or wrong. No forget that! Was the ref (he is the one that matters), Was he right or wrong?

That has always been the bone of contention with the off side rule.
The right back beside the corner flag was playing everyone onside, whilst the forward beside the corner flag 'was not interfering with play'!

You're right in that there is no law that says the referee has to wait for the defending team to be ready.

However, when the defending team ask for the 10 yard rule to be enforced, which is when the ref walks to where the wall should be, the free kick can't be taken until the referee's whistle is blown. At this point the referee should allow the goalkeeper to set his wall and get in position before allowing play to resume.

Technically, as long as the defending team is 10 yards away then the referee can blow at any time but "in the spirit of the game" he should allow the defensive wall to be set and the goalkeeper to get into position.

The whistle to take the free kick shouldn't be blown (which means the goal wouldn't be scored) but it is. This means that the goal should stand as the referees whistle means the ball is back in play.

The offside isn't offside as the player isn't in the goalkeepers eyeline. We know this because the keeper is trying to line the wall up the the player is "outside" the wall.

I believe the correct outcome (in the spirit of the game) has happened. However, to get to that outcome (goal not counting) there have been 2/3 errors.

However, by the laws of the game, it was a goal.

Wasn't the issue that the ref also blew the whistle again before the ball went in the net and that was supposed to be the reason that the goal was disallowed as it supposedly stopped play again?

If that's what happened then the game should restart from the position that the game was stopped.

When the referee blow the whistle and Dunk hits the free kick, the ball is back in play.

If the referee blows for a dead ball before it hits the net then the game should be restarted from the position it was stopped (which should result in a goal).

The ref has had a shocker in this game. He gave a free kick against Wellbeck after he misses his pen for... we'll I don't have a clue what he gave it got actually. Ref is clueless and hopeless.
Wellbeck played the ball from the penalty mark then played it again when it rebounded from the post before another player touched it therefore indirect free-kick. Welbeck has been playing the game for at least a couple of decades but doesn’t know the rules of it, which is pretty frightening.

From MOTD Dunk asks to take the free kick, the referee tries to give him the benefit so blows the whistle but then sees something untoward so blows again to stop play.

I can see that it doesn’t look very good because VAR initially says ball was over line before second whistle so needs to be given. Then that is changed and goal is denied. It all doesn’t look awfully good but my concern is that a referee tried to give the attacking team the benefit of the situation, got caught out himself, so he and his colleagues will probably take the safe option henceforth and avoid allowing quick free kicks, which will be a shame.

Referee is damned if his does and damned if he doesn’t.

Players trying fo claim a goal are a disgrace, keepers on the post ffs. Refs made a mistake, move on.
There should be no such thing as a free kick taken too quickly providing it’s taken from the correct spot.
Ridiculous that you should have to wait until “the defence is ready”.
Should do similar with corners?

Any referees in?

Here's a question for those VPN replay things off big leagues/tournaments for offsides.

Concerns us just now and it will do until UEFA boot all small nations into a Toytown Cup of Inconvenience in 2025 - matches at lunchtime on Mondays.

If a forward is behind the last defender, but there's a big green snotter still attached to his beak and it passes the line of the last defender, is that off or on?

Or does it depend on what benefits the English, the Spanish & the Germans?

There should be no such thing as a free kick taken too quickly providing it’s taken from the correct spot.
Ridiculous that you should have to wait until “the defence is ready”.
Should do similar with corners?
Wee bit of sportsmanship mate, direct fk of course the defence should have time to be organised with a wall. The point was the keeper being on the post. I take it you were frothing when morelos stopped the other night?

You're right in that there is no law that says the referee has to wait for the defending team to be ready.

However, when the defending team ask for the 10 yard rule to be enforced, which is when the ref walks to where the wall should be, the free kick can't be taken until the referee's whistle is blown. At this point the referee should allow the goalkeeper to set his wall and get in position before allowing play to resume.

Technically, as long as the defending team is 10 yards away then the referee can blow at any time but "in the spirit of the game" he should allow the defensive wall to be set and the goalkeeper to get into position.

The whistle to take the free kick shouldn't be blown (which means the goal wouldn't be scored) but it is. This means that the goal should stand as the referees whistle means the ball is back in play.

The offside isn't offside as the player isn't in the goalkeepers eyeline. We know this because the keeper is trying to line the wall up the the player is "outside" the wall.

I believe the correct outcome (in the spirit of the game) has happened. However, to get to that outcome (goal not counting) there have been 2/3 errors.

However, by the laws of the game, it was a goal.

Wee bit of sportsmanship mate, direct fk of course the defence should have time to be organised with a wall. The point was the keeper being on the post. I take it you were frothing when morelos stopped the other night?
Why? They are the ones that committed the offence.

Sportsmanship?
If you think it’s sportsmanship, fair enough.
Not for me.
When your opposition’s idea of sportsmanship is taking a full minute to take a throw in or a goal kick, or kicking/stamping/studding our player to get a reaction and him sent off, I’d refuse to extend the same courtesy.
And, yes, I’d just need to live with it if and when we’re the ones doing the time wasting.
Also, no frothing at Morelos.

Sportsmanship?
Not for me.
When your opposition’s idea of sportsmanship is taking a full minute to take a throw in or a goal kick, or kicking/stamping/studding our player to get a reaction and him sent off, I’d refuse to extend the same courtesy.
And, yes, I’d just need to live with it if and when we’re the ones doing the time wasting.
Yet
Sportsmanship?
Not for me.
Yer kinda muddying the waters here with talk of kicking stamping etc, you're basically arguing it's ok to take a fk when the keeper is on the post!

The attacking team have the right to take the free kick quickly if they want. However, if they ask for the 10 yard rule to be applied (which is when the ref walks from the ball and sprays a line for the wall) then they have to wait for the referee to blow his whistle before they can take the free kick.

The referee should allow the defending team to get set but on this occasion he just decided to have some fun.

By the laws of the game it was rightly ruled out as the ref blew again before the ball crossed the line. If we can't agree that the keeper should be allowed to be in his goal when a fk is taken then I'm at a loss.

Back