Brighton's disallowed goal what a farce

Any referees in?

Here's a question for those VPN replay things off big leagues/tournaments for offsides.

Concerns us just now and it will do until UEFA boot all small nations into a Toytown Cup of Inconvenience in 2025 - matches at lunchtime on Mondays.

If a forward is behind the last defender, but there's a big green snotter still attached to his beak and it passes the line of the last defender, is that off or on?

Or does it depend on what benefits the English, the Spanish & the Germans?

All depends on whether you think you can score with the big green snotter or not.

Seems like a case of the ref thinking he's made an error by blowing the first time when I'm fact it's not an error, it's just potentially against the spirit of the game, then trying to rectify this supposed error by blowing again which turns out to be the first error. He's monumentally f£ck£d up here. What chance do the players have to "play to the whistle" when the ref doesn't?

All depends on whether you think you can score with the big green snotter or not.
How can anyone tell if it's on the floor before the official has checked to see if the consistency is beyond wallpaper paste, meeting EU loop-the-loop regulation ISO standards?

If it's not in the rule-book they'd have to phone Grogger Stevens.

Players trying fo claim a goal are a disgrace, keepers on the post ffs. Refs made a mistake, move on.
The players claiming a goal after scoring a free kick after the referee had blown his whistle are a disgrace? What?

Easy to say move on from the outside looking in but they’re fighting for survival.

Did the EPL free kick rule change in favour of the defense after that quick Henry goal years back?
I remember the ref blowing then & the keeper not ready or still lining the wall

otherwise players would either take a touch before hitting it or try to dribble it toward goal
Whilst technically the same I’m sure you can see how that would be seen differently to someone attempting to attack a rebound off the post or bar :))

I’ve not seen MOTD but the guys on Soccer Saturday called it straight away as a double touch.

How can anyone tell if it's on the floor before the official has checked to see if the consistency is beyond wallpaper paste, meeting EU loop-the-loop regulation ISO standards?

If it's not in the rule-book they'd have to phone Grogger Stevens.

What if the snotted dripped all the way onto someones arm, would that be considered a handball if all three were in contact at the same time?

We need to get onto IFAB and get this clarified ASAP.

The mistake was that the ref should have checked the players positions before initially blowing his whistle. the end result was correct but he made himself look silly. The defence should be allowed to set their defence in these situations imo.

The players claiming a goal after scoring a free kick after the referee had blown his whistle are a disgrace? What?

Easy to say move on from the outside looking in but they’re fighting for survival.
Not for me mate, it's clear as day the ref realised he'd made a mistake. If relegation comes down to 1 dodgy decision then i think they're looking for answers in the wrong place.

Not for me mate, it's clear as day the ref realised he'd made a mistake. If relegation comes down to 1 dodgy decision then i think they're looking for answers in the wrong place.
If they get relegated they deserve it but you’re expecting players in that position to not get emotional about a shocking decision.

Don’t pretend you wouldn’t be raging if the same thing happened to us at a crucial moment.

The main argument is Dunk claims he asked the ref if he could take a quick free kick and the ref tells him he can, then the ref changes his mind after the ball is heading across the line. The fact that Dunk has scored from a freekick like this before should have given the ref a heads up into what he was thinking

If they get relegated they deserve it but you’re expecting players in that position to not get emotional about a shocking decision.

Don’t pretend you wouldn’t be raging if the same thing happened to us at a crucial moment.
Not the same circumstance but i was proud of Alfie the other night

I also watched a clip from the 90s recently, tims v hivs, ref mistake left hivs with nae keeper lol, tims scored and ref disallowed, their fans were booing at not being given the goal. No way i would react in the same manner.

No chance

I'd love it if they put it down to a failed experiment and canned it but it's never ever going away. Once that box is opened you were neve getting the lid back on it.

FWIW I do think there is a place for some sort of VAR in football, but the way it's been implemented in England has been a disaster. It was as if they got the technology then changed the rules to suit that, rather than using the tech to streamline the game.

Yet

Yer kinda muddying the waters here with talk of kicking stamping etc, you're basically arguing it's ok to take a fk when the keeper is on the post!
Yip.
Somebody else can organise the wall.
Actually, John Greig implemented this when Rangers manager for this very reason.

I think the whole thing could have been sorted immediately by the referee putting his hands up, saying I made a cûnt of that and restart the game with the free kick.

The ‘applied the laws of the game conversation is redundant, if he done that the game would have restarted at the point where the ball was at the second whistle (or on the 6 yard line in this instance).

As far as Dunk asking to go quick, his chance to do that goes as soon as the referee starts pacing out the required distance.

Same thing happened in the rugby yesterday. Ref told England captain to have a word with his team about repeated penalties. As he was doing so ref blew whistle....Wales hit long pass to unmarked winger he scored a try. Absolute farce. Actual time given to England squad was 3.1 seconds?!?
Agreed, a similar error but Wales benefitted here. I think the knock on controversy try, the ref got that one technically correct . I found it a bit pathetic that the English pundits were basically blaming the ref for their defeat. They were well beaten in the end.

What if the snotted dripped all the way onto someones arm, would that be considered a handball if all three were in contact at the same time?

We need to get onto IFAB and get this clarified ASAP.
Is Prosinecki still alive? Must be about 55 so chances are 40/60.

He must spend an hour each morning coughing up something that's like a mix of Guinness and ridiculous amounts of cornflour. Year's worth capable of laying Serbia's first motorway.

He'll know. Unless he's dead. Which wouldn't surprise me.

If that's what happened then the game should restart from the position that the game was stopped.

When the referee blow the whistle and Dunk hits the free kick, the ball is back in play.

If the referee blows for a dead ball before it hits the net then the game should be restarted from the position it was stopped (which should result in a goal).
Should and does are two different matters, penalties should result in goals but twice they didn't yesterday :D

And it seems very rare that teams score prom free kicks in the box as the wall is usually so close and there is very little time for the second player to get a shot away.

Should and does are two different matters, penalties should result in goals but twice they didn't yesterday :D

And it seems very rare that teams score prom free kicks in the box as the wall is usually so close and there is very little time for the second player to get a shot away.

Would it be a free kick? I don't think it would.

The play would either restart with Brighton possession where the ball was when the ref blew his whistle or the last point a Brighton player touched the ball which would mean a re-take of the free kick?

I'm honestly lost now. They should've just given the goal and got on with it.

Ref does blow the whistle twice. What a clusterf*ck though. Disallows the goal, gives the goal, disallows the goal. Its his cock-up because he blew the whistle indicating they could take the kick too soon. Then immediately realised what he'd done when Dunk hit it and blew again.

He's clearly destined for a future in the SPFL, he's that good.:eek:
There is no such thing as taking the kick too soon.
The defensive wall was where it is going to be and when he blew his whistle....... game starts! He does not have to wait until the gk is ready
Until then he has done nothing wrong but he thinks he has, so he blows again, that is where it goes wrong. If he hadn't blown again....it is a goal.
He had a get out of jail card by going to VAR and could (should?) have given offside against the TWO players beyond the wall, but I don't think VAR allowed him that option.
Footie is great! There is always a talking point!

Lee Mason has pulled out of tonight’s Sheffield United v Liverpool game (4th official) with an injury.

The referees a mason!!!
Not necessarily.

Could easily be someone like that Kevin O'Donnell. Some of his decisions suggested incompetence at best, and honest mistakes of a dishonest nature at worst. He went on to boast about his contribution to the smellies Centenary Double in a Scots Catholic newspaper. He also suggested he was driven out of the game for sectarian reasons.

Seriously.

Thankfully this illegal matter was completely ignored, with the token hun writer knowing he'd lose his job and great seat at Ibrox if he didn't keep it shut.

Can you imagine that happening here?

That's the danger of yesterday, players have got to be alert at all times that includes goalkeepers especially.

The sheep nearly done it at shittodrie last game against us when they took a quick free kick which greegs saved from cratur face hayes.

Not necessarily.

Could easily be someone like that Kevin O'Donnell. Some of his decisions suggested incompetence at best, and honest mistakes of a dishonest nature at worst. He went on to boast about his contribution to the smellies Centenary Double in a Scots Catholic newspaper. He also suggested he was driven out of the game for sectarian reasons.

Seriously.

Thankfully this illegal matter was completely ignored, with the token hun writer knowing he'd lose his job and great seat at Ibrox if he didn't keep it shut.
No he was a mason, Lee Mason to be precise!

The goal should of stood, ref made a complete arse of it blowing early with the keeper on the post. I'd expect a ref to first signal to the keeper that they are about to blow the whistle in direct free kick situations

Well, FM Chester. Am I right or wrong. No forget that! Was the ref (he is the one that matters), Was he right or wrong?

That has always been the bone of contention with the off side rule.
The right back beside the corner flag was playing everyone onside, whilst the forward beside the corner flag 'was not interfering with play'!
Ahhh, the old days, when it was interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage.
If your not doing either, then you shouldn’t be playing any sport.

It has always been said that the reason football became so popular was that it is a simple game. Unfortunately when that was said there was no FIFA/UEFA.

Honestly baffling how it's even a discussion.

The morals of not letting the opposition set their defence is out the window as the ref blew the whistle to start the game. Then he shat it, pure and simple.

Brighton asked to take a quick free kick, the referee blew to allow this. Then blew again. However, I always thought that when a ball was struck it was still in play until it was brought under control even if whistle was blown.

Back