'Brilliant' Borna hailed by Croatian media

Recoba

Official Ticketer
I know he has been frustrating for us but clearly the guy has ability and we may just have to bide our time for a while, i hope we see the best of him next season.

'Brilliant' Rangers star Borna Barisic hailed by Croatian media
The left-back has yet to hit the heights at Ibrox but excelled alongside the likes of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic to bag his first international goal.

Rangers defender Borna Barisic was hailed as Croatia's star man as he bagged his first international goal against Azerbaijan.
The left-back lined up alongside Ballon d'Or winner Luka Modric and Barcelona star Ivan Rakitic as the World Cup finalists opened their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign with a 2-1 victory.
Barisic netted the equaliser after Azerbaijan took a shock lead in Zagreb, reacting first to stab home after Duje Caleta-Car's header was saved.
It then took a late strike from Andre Kramaric to give the hosts three points.

Borna Barisic in action for Croatia against Azerbaijan (Image: AFP/Getty Images)
Hindered by injuries, Barisic has yet to hit the heights for Rangers since his summer move from Osijek.
Steven Gerrard has appeared frustrated with the 26-year-old on occasion but he was described as the best player on the park on Thursday night.

That's no small praise considering the illustrious company he was keeping.
Ivica Medo from gol.hr wrote: "Borna Barisic played an excellent match on the left-wing position. He was perhaps the best player of the game.

"He was brilliant and easy to defend, with just a few minor mistakes, and besides being very dangerous in the attack. He kept his side well, several times came from another plan and threatened dangerously."
Barisic, winning his fourth international cap, admits the goal was a dream come true but regrets being unable to celebrate as his side chased a second goal.

He said: "I was dreaming of a goal for Croatia and I did it against Azerbaijan.
"I immediately turned for the ball, there was no time to celebrate, that's just a little regret for me.
"I wanted to push the second goal as soon as possible. We all wanted that."

Last edited:
Chuffed for borna obviously a player in there. Met him and his girlfriend in George Square just after he signed seemed a really nice bloke although admittedly probably didn't have a scooby what I was saying.
I met him at Glasgow airport. His and my Mrs were disembarking from the same flight (from Budapest). Nice bloke, I hope it works out for him here.

I met him at Glasgow airport. His and my Mrs were disembarking from the same flight (from Budapest). Nice bloke, I hope it works out for him here.
They seemed pretty shocked that someone recognised him. This was the Friday before the old firm at the shit pit in September. Remember thinking 'youve got no idea what you're in for son' haha. Just a young guy. He'll learn.

Borna is without doubt the best left back at the club.

It's really difficult to pin down where it's going slightly wrong at the moment. As this game for Croatia would appear to suggest, he performs really, really well in a national side packed with world class stars. Is it just that he's held back by playing with players of a lesser standard or is it that he isn't properly motivated? I honestly don't know. It could also be that injuries have hampered him, or it could be that the hammer throwing allowed in this shithole league by truly shite referees has him concerned for his career.

Whatever it is, he should come back from this international experience full of confidence and realise that the quickest way out of Scotland and into a league where footballers are protected by referees is to put in blistering performances.

I agree he’s disappointed for us. But people really need to remember that footballers are human beings too, they’re not robots, they experience homesickness, they need time to settle, they can suffer lack of confidence etc.

We need to at least give these guys some time and support, especially when we’re talking about players who have had injury struggles etc. I won’t say what I really think of those types of fans, but needless to say I think they can do more harm than good.

i think his confidence (with us) is shot
hopefully this starts rebuilding it

i'm expecting a big player next season

Why do we never get the best out of players?
Maybe it's time to stop questioning their desire and start questioning the style of the league. Rangers should be above needing to field 8 destroyers to compete with the hammer throwers. They should be getting outclassed.

I’m pleased for the big man, he will come good. Next season would be my guess, as he will have played against everyone and be more aware and comfortable with what’s expected.

There's a player definitely in there and if he plays to his potential will be a very important player for us hopefully next season . Grezda is the same in my view both excel in there national teams so why not with us ? . Doesn't help the hammer throwers in our league being allowed to stamp all over us , but I think the main problem has been our system we have played the vast majority of the season . Hopefully buffalo stays next season at least but we have to play with a front two and give him some help up there and a true quality number 10 to run our midfield to dictate the game . Then we will see the true Barisic perform.

I agree he’s disappointed for us. But people really need to remember that footballers are human beings too, they’re not robots, they experience homesickness, they need time to settle, they can suffer lack of confidence etc.

We need to at least give these guys some time and support, especially when we’re talking about players who have had injury struggles etc. I won’t say what I really think of those types of fans, but needless to say I think they can do more harm than good.
THIS X 1000
Finally someone who gets it.

Why do we never get the best out of players?
Maybe it's time to stop questioning their desire and start questioning the style of the league. Rangers should be above needing to field 8 destroyers to compete with the hammer throwers. They should be getting outclassed.

I don't buy this argument. When the hammer throwers of Scottish football go and play international football, they're roundly beaten by all sorts who outclass them with no issue.

International, European leagues/football are different to Scotland "brand" of football.

We might find he doesn't thrive here due to not wanting to be booted up and down the park.

There in lies an issue with the Scottish result last night. Our football hasn't moved on but the rest of Europe has. Even the Kazaks and Azeri's.

And to think there's people who don't want players away for International duty, yes there's a risk of injury but that is far outweighed by having back players on a high. That's now Borna, Davis and Lafferty who will come back with a spring in their step and a wee goal for Grezda and Morelos would do them the world of good...and us!

Just shows scottish football up for the corrupt shite embarrassment that it is, how many other spl teams had players performing brilliantly at the top level last night? But as long as some plodder that's signed for motherwell or kilmarnock from the vanarama national league can scythe down genuinely skilled players with impunity, they'll be lauded as heroes and full of heart.

I'm of the opinion Gerrard handled the Barisic situation poorly.

He's been as inconsistent as most of our squad, but because Gerrard said he has to toughen up, his performances are put down to some sort of fear or cowardice.

Halliday has been really poor in his last 2 starts, but doesn't get that level of criticism. Consider how he's described by the manager. Had Gerrard not been as vocal about that, I'm not sure we'd hear as much about Barisic as we do.

And I'm not saying Barisic has been excellent or anything like that. Only that the focus on him compared to others is unfair.

I don’t think Borna has been poor for us, he isn’t making mistakes causing goals.
He has just not been having prominent influences in games and at times struggling with the aggressive game here and the lack of protection from refs.

The abuse Grezda has got has been worse.
We signed him when he had been injured for about 4 months or so and he hadn’t done a pre season.
He needs to be given at least another season before people start shouting he isn’t good enough.

If players don’t start like Colin Stein or Brian Laudrup that’s it, not got it.
It’s uphill from there.
To use and old boxing phrase, they need a knock out to get a draw.

I don’t think Borna has been poor for us, he isn’t making mistakes causing goals.
He has just not been having prominent influences in games and at times struggling with the aggressive game here and the lack of protection from refs.

The abuse Grezda has got has been worse.
We signed him when he had been injured for about 4 months or so and he hadn’t done a pre season.
He needs to be given at least another season before people start shouting he isn’t good enough.
Agree with both your points here.

We're a fickle bunch at the best of times but the reality is the guys we're signing are not going to be the finished article (or they wouldn't be joining us) and we need to be patient in allowing these guys time to settle and show what they can do. Instead you have people writing players off after a few games and essentially hounding players before they've settled.

Barisic hasn't had many poor games IMO, but I'd agree it would be good if he could start having more influence. I don't think playing with Kent helps as he never uses the overlap and Tav seems to keep taking a lot of set pieces when Borna looks more dangerous from areas just outside the box in particular

He actually reminds me of Albertz when he first joined us. In his first season he was like a rabbit in the headlights and was regularly being labelled a shitebag.
I just hope it’s been a similar settling in period for Borna and he’ll come good once he’s found his feet.

So how long do we give him based on performances against us for a past club and the fact he plays international football?
That’s all well and good but he’s hardly shone for us. Until he does then of course people are going to be on his back.

I don't buy this argument. When the hammer throwers of Scottish football go and play international football, they're roundly beaten by all sorts who outclass them with no issue.
Probably because the ref's actually ref and do something about it in european/international games maybe?
Edit - When I used to coach youth football we always instilled the spirit into the kids that the first tackle was hard (fair but hard of course) so that the next time the opposition player had the ball he would be weary of running at you after THAT tackle - now imagine THAT tackle is every bloody tackle to be made against you because the ref's don't pull the opposition up for them. I think I'd be a little weary, trying to see all around where the next possible leg breaker is coming from!

Last edited:
Because the refs dont let them away with that hammer throwers shit.
They are booked instantly for tackles u don't even get a foul for in Scotland.
Hence Kazakhstan 3 Scotland 0

If we are giving borna all this time, how can anyone question any of gerrards signing or gerrard?

They might all need time to settle,

Ejaria being the main one, alot of fans said he wasnt good enough anyway. He gave us something in midfield tht we dont have now.

He's a cracking player going through a rough patch of form. We support and stick with him and we'll see the best of him.

A few bad games doesn't write someone off as the next Gary Bollan. Well maybe on FF but not in the real world.

He's a cracking player going through a rough patch of form. We support and stick with him and we'll see the best of him.

A few bad games doesn't write someone off as the next Gary Bollan. Well maybe on FF but not in the real world.

a near season long rough patch is a new one.

He needs to buck up his ideas or he's out the door. Gerrard basically told him as much in that press conference last week.

All well and good playing well against a poor side, lets see how he does next weekend if selected v that lot. A much truer test of him

Lets hope he does it for us, but how many have we seen from 1986( souness and beyond) that hasnt handled it.
One good thing is, we would get our money back plus some due to his international status and croatia players being the in thing at the moment.

Back