'Brilliant' Borna hailed by Croatian media

a near season long rough patch is a new one.

He needs to buck up his ideas or he's out the door. Gerrard basically told him as much in that press conference last week.

All well and good playing well against a poor side, lets see how he does next weekend if selected v that lot. A much truer test of him

Admittedly he didn't look up for a challenge against Aberdeen, but I still reckon he'll turn out to be a key player for us.

I'm happy to see this season as a bedding in learning curve period for the team. It's about time we showed a bit of patience.

The Warburton & Pedro seasons being wasted shouldn't curtail Gerrard's plans.

So how long do we give him based on performances against us for a past club and the fact he plays international football?
That’s all well and good but he’s hardly shone for us. Until he does then of course people are going to be on his back.
He's not actually been bad for us, just not as impressive as the player we thought we were getting from Osijek.

This is his first season with us and it's been an injury hit one so he's not really got a run - I'm expecting better but if we write off every player who doesn't come flying out the traps we'll be continuing this cycle of having to buy near enough a whole new squad each season

a near season long rough patch is a new one.

He needs to buck up his ideas or he's out the door. Gerrard basically told him as much in that press conference last week.

All well and good playing well against a poor side, lets see how he does next weekend if selected v that lot. A much truer test of him

Who is telling SG that he has to buck up his ideas?

I am concerned that the main people he has criticised has been Barisic, Grezda and Katic while the likes of Tavernier, Worrall, Goldson, Jack, Candieas, Kent etc have received none despite having many poor games.

He's not actually been bad for us, just not as impressive as the player we thought we were getting from Osijek.

This is his first season with us and it's been an injury hit one so he's not really got a run - I'm expecting better but if we write off every player who doesn't come flying out the traps we'll be continuing this cycle of having to buy near enough a whole new squad each season

My issue isn’t his attacking play, he looks so slow at times it’s horrible to watch but when he gets the ball in it’s usually good. It’s his defensive awareness. Doesn’t block crosses, saunters back when caught upfield and people seem to get past him far too easily.
Maybe it’s a confidence thing but in all honesty the thought of nae neck against him gives me the fear

My issue isn’t his attacking play, he looks so slow at times it’s horrible to watch but when he gets the ball in it’s usually good. It’s his defensive awareness. Doesn’t block crosses, saunters back when caught upfield and people seem to get past him far too easily.
Maybe it’s a confidence thing but in all honesty the thought of nae neck against him gives me the fear
Apart from Stewart at Pittodrie in the league, I'm struggling to think of a game when he's been roasted at the back - he's mostly been solid enough IMO.

If anything I'd say it's attacking areas where I'm expecting more - his crossing is good but he's not getting into the right positions through a combination of either not taking his man on enough or not being picked out on the overlap.

They seemed pretty shocked that someone recognised him. This was the Friday before the old firm at the shit pit in September. Remember thinking 'youve got no idea what you're in for son' haha. Just a young guy. He'll learn.
Aye, it was December when I him. I just started talking away to him 'awrite Borna, how you doing pal?', he was happy enough to chat away, if a bit surprised a stranger is calling him by his first name!

Hopefully he'll turn things around,if he stars for Croatia,which says much,then we have a decent player on our hands,still getting to grips with this tin pot league. I think we'll see the best of him next season and also Grezda.

Posted a while ago that I think he's still in the the "WTF?" stage. Our corrupt refs condone a form of thuggery against us in particular and in football here in general, except for one team. that really is criminal and genuine footballers struggle to adapt.
The above is why I fear for Gerrard's task. Unless King gets up off his arse and appoints a CE who will champion the club's interests on and off the pitch we will not be allowed to succeed.

Well in Big Borna!!!

At least we'll make a few quid on him now because he'll never cut it at Rangers.

Always looks to me that he doesn't want to be here.

I don't buy this argument. When the hammer throwers of Scottish football go and play international football, they're roundly beaten by all sorts who outclass them with no issue.
In those instances the Bornas don't have corrupt refs condoning assaults and they are surrounded by better players on the same wavelength.

One thing I will say is we need to give players time to bed in.

Walter Smith always said it took player a year before he would decide, and most of his 2nd stint signings started flourishing after the 1st year.

Morelos in his second is a far better player, It is a massive shock IMO players who come to us and then have to deal with the expectation and crowd.

He has the ability but needs to convince us more . He is probably more use to a slicker and more skilful style of football Hopefully he realises he’s going to be involved in battles here and adds a bit of muscle to his game.
Don’t think he should worry about Shinnie stealing his place after his performance this week

Borna is without doubt the best left back at the club.

It's really difficult to pin down where it's going slightly wrong at the moment. As this game for Croatia would appear to suggest, he performs really, really well in a national side packed with world class stars. Is it just that he's held back by playing with players of a lesser standard or is it that he isn't properly motivated? I honestly don't know. It could also be that injuries have hampered him, or it could be that the hammer throwing allowed in this shithole league by truly shite referees has him concerned for his career.

Whatever it is, he should come back from this international experience full of confidence and realise that the quickest way out of Scotland and into a league where footballers are protected by referees is to put in blistering performances.
Possibly twenty percent of league and cup games on plastic pitches, playing with players that are less technically gifted, playing in a blood and thunder environment which discourages football, Scottish referees, impatient fans. There’s your starter for ten.

Last edited:
It’s difficult to imagine that this is the same guy who wandered off the pitch at one point against St Johnstone last month.

He was incredible in the European matches against Rangers but I’ve been far from impressed since then... then he pulls out a performance like this.
Rangers really need to work out how to get the best of this guy on the pitch. As an aggressive, attacking fullback he was a standout last summer.

I'm of the opinion Gerrard handled the Barisic situation poorly.

He's been as inconsistent as most of our squad, but because Gerrard said he has to toughen up, his performances are put down to some sort of fear or cowardice.

Halliday has been really poor in his last 2 starts, but doesn't get that level of criticism. Consider how he's described by the manager. Had Gerrard not been as vocal about that, I'm not sure we'd hear as much about Barisic as we do.

And I'm not saying Barisic has been excellent or anything like that. Only that the focus on him compared to others is unfair.
I’d imagine the gaffers comments were in part based on what he sees in training every day.

We were all excited when we got him but so far he’s been like an Xmas toy missing the batteries

The only think lacking in his game here is he needs to toughen up. He fights for his place against Halliday. Barsic is a far better footballer than Halliday but until he goes in and through a player like Halliday does then we won’t see it. I’m sure it’s in there and when he’s settled and it comes out we’ve got a player on our hands! Be fearless no one remembers a soft touch!

They seemed pretty shocked that someone recognised him. This was the Friday before the old firm at the shit pit in September. Remember thinking 'youve got no idea what you're in for son' haha. Just a young guy. He'll learn.

I saw them in town a couple of days before that, but I bottled it and didn't speak to him. I'm sure it was when the rest of the squad were away to Russia for the Ufa game.

He’s still adjusting to a league where you can be kicked up and down the park with impunity. And we wonder why our national team is so shite?

Not again. This is tedious. Maybe he is taking some time to adapt to a new country language, football style, bigger club, increased expectations etc etc? Maybe we need to give him a wee bit of time? Instead of wetting your pants?
I’m willing to give him time however I’m not sure he has the mettle for the Spl I hope he proves me wrong

It's a different game than playing against the hammer throwers of scotshit football who are aided and abetted by hopeless referees who allow any good player(of ours)to be kicked off the park without consequences.

I’d imagine the gaffers comments were in part based on what he sees in training every day.

We were all excited when we got him but so far he’s been like an Xmas toy missing the batteries

I'm sure they were.

But for me they were ill-advised. The only real criticism I have of Gerrard is his tendency to speak like an emotional fan rather than a manager, and I think this was an example of that.

If we are giving borna all this time, how can anyone question any of gerrards signing or gerrard?

They might all need time to settle,

Ejaria being the main one, alot of fans said he wasnt good enough anyway. He gave us something in midfield tht we dont have now.

He gave us 2 goals and 1 assist, and lots of spinning about.

He realized that signing for Rangers was a bad move. Scottish league can’t produce players gifted with technique, Croatians have football in their veins unlike Scots. Borna is probably on Robertson level, has much more raw talent, Robertson is just overrated like any other UK player. Hopefully he will change the league after this season.

I dont know what's happened with him... in the last st johnstone home game he was like bambi on ice. Tripped over the ball twice, stood on it and fell once, looked like hed never seen a football before nevermind played the game.
However, there is obviously a player in there. Get him to the end of the season with no further injuries and get a good pre-season under his belt and hopefully we'll see the real player next season.
Fingers crossed loyal

Apart from Stewart at Pittodrie in the league, I'm struggling to think of a game when he's been roasted at the back - he's mostly been solid enough IMO.

If anything I'd say it's attacking areas where I'm expecting more - his crossing is good but he's not getting into the right positions through a combination of either not taking his man on enough or not being picked out on the overlap.

he wasnt roasted at Ibrox in the cup game however the sheep spent the previous game going down his side and last tuesday they sent every punt, keeper punt, free-kick down his side as its our weakest spot and it worked.

He needs to vastly improve in my eyes.

Posted a while ago that I think he's still in the the "WTF?" stage. Our corrupt refs condone a form of thuggery against us in particular and in football here in general, except for one team. that really is criminal and genuine footballers struggle to adapt.
The above is why I fear for Gerrard's task. Unless King gets up off his arse and appoints a CE who will champion the club's interests on and off the pitch we will not be allowed to succeed.
Agreed, the silence from Rangers is beginning to grate,they should be going after all bodies and departments of the authorites in this country and giving them both barrels,highlighting the corruption going on. What's the worse they can do. At least if they went public with it and they fine us,it means we were spot on to call their bluff. Something has to be done.

Certainly getting a lot of good media coverage here in Croatia. Main sports paper front page below:
Typical, scores a goal, gets MOM, full page pic on front of paper - with a big wad of tissue sticking out of his nose - one for the wall of fame :):)

Obviously the jury is still out - may just be that he can't adapt to the physical British game. At the very least with these good international performances we should be looking to make money on him in the summer if he isn't up for the fight.

I don't think Gerrard will wait any longer for him to start showing his true form for us as that position should be earmarked solely for him and that hasn't been the case all season.

He should start against the scum and if he isn’t up for it and going through the motions etc then he should be sold in the summer.
He’s nearly had a full season and hasn’t really impressed so he’s in last chance saloon

We all know he has ability. Hopefully he'll improve, and have more luck, next season once he's had a year to settle.

Borna is without doubt the best left back at the club.

It's really difficult to pin down where it's going slightly wrong at the moment. As this game for Croatia would appear to suggest, he performs really, really well in a national side packed with world class stars. Is it just that he's held back by playing with players of a lesser standard or is it that he isn't properly motivated? I honestly don't know. It could also be that injuries have hampered him, or it could be that the hammer throwing allowed in this shithole league by truly shite referees has him concerned for his career.

Whatever it is, he should come back from this international experience full of confidence and realise that the quickest way out of Scotland and into a league where footballers are protected by referees is to put in blistering performances.

I think last nights Scotlands performance shows that guys who excel in our, technically poor, league struggle at international level.

Maybe the opposite is true with Barisic??

I’m sorry but people blaming the fans for Barisic under achieving aren’t living in the real world

Basically if you listen to some it is the fans, the manager, the poor team-mates, the poor technical opponents, the ref, artificial pitches.

Some of you guys need to venture into the real world ffs.

I agree with those who say our refs allow a level of thuggish behaviour which is not seen elsewhere, thereby causing ball players to struggle.

In Scotland you need eleven animals, and unless you're Rangers the refs will let you kick anything that moves and book anyone that complains.

Is it any wonder Scotland can't produce a player of Borna's ability?

It also shows how remarkable Kent has been for getting back up and going again and again. I just wish he'd add goals.

Scotland is full of animals, teams, and managers who have no interest in playing football. Good players like Morelos, easily the league's best player, are mocked by the idiot media instead of praised.

Foreign refs who don't allow this thuggish behaviour would improve the product no end. Our ones think assaults are part of the game. They are not.

The cynic in me thinks he saw it as an opportunity to shine in the shop window with a view to getting a move am afraid.... Despite being a bit underwhelming for us, he's clearly a good player.

We have signed a number of players who have struggled with the kick and rush style of football played here ., it tells a lot about why Scottish football is sub standard .

Underwhelming and generally needs to toughen up that's how i would describe Barisic. There appears to be a confidence issue with the lad and i understand he needs to settle and needs more time but if there is no improvement between now and into pre season during the summer he will be binned by Gerrard.

Also i think many folk got carried away with his performances when he was with the Croatian team. I do think he has talent but it's hard to see what he genuinely offers us so it will be intriguing to see what happens with Barisic.

Back