'Brilliant' Borna hailed by Croatian media

Apart from Stewart at Pittodrie in the league, I'm struggling to think of a game when he's been roasted at the back - he's mostly been solid enough IMO.

If anything I'd say it's attacking areas where I'm expecting more - his crossing is good but he's not getting into the right positions through a combination of either not taking his man on enough or not being picked out on the overlap.

My biggest frustration is his unwillingness or inability to beat a man.
When he gets the space his crossing can be top drawer.

He's not actually been bad for us, just not as impressive as the player we thought we were getting from Osijek.

This is his first season with us and it's been an injury hit one so he's not really got a run - I'm expecting better but if we write off every player who doesn't come flying out the traps we'll be continuing this cycle of having to buy near enough a whole new squad each season
Exactly, he has been nowhere near as bad as suggested on here, same as grezda,both need an extended run next season and if it becomes clear it's not working then make a decision

Probably helped that he wasn't worried about knee high leg breakers coming at him every few minutes
That's exactly what I think is wrong with him. He'll be trying not to get injured plus with Gerrards comments a couple months ago the lad will definitely be under a wee bit of added pressure which he doesn't need. The lads got my backing 110% and I hope his confidence improves soon but I'm more than happy to wait till next season to see him firing on all cylinders as it should be with every new player coming from a different country.

No surprise that this class footballer shines at international level whilst Scotland are yet again embarrassed.
Borna is kicked up and down the park here and gets no protection from referees as the thug rules in Scottish football.

Scotland gets the team they deserve.

Barasic is an incredible signing for us that has unfortunately suffered from a few injuries since joining.
There's absolutely no doubt that he's a quality footballer and I'm quite sure he could be a major success for us in the years to come!
Great he got such fantastic recognition for his country yesterday...well done Borna!

can't help but get the feeling that there is a very good footballer in borna barasic just waiting to evolve,,i would not be in any rush to judge him too harshly for what has been a very stop start first season,, i think next season we will really see him shine

He plays better when he has space to get in behind and whip balls in. He’s not great at beating a man from a standing start and teams with 10 behind the ball leave him with nowhere to go.

I think he’ll come good with a bit of time in a similar vein to Tav but hopefully more solid at the back

No surprise that this class footballer shines at international level whilst Scotland are yet again embarrassed.
Borna is kicked up and down the park here and gets no protection from referees as the thug rules in Scottish football.

Scotland gets the team they deserve.

I can hardly remember a tackle on BB to be honest...nearly always behind the ball but to be old school a defender that gets kicked? Really?

Glad BB got a goal-he has looked well short of confidence so it must help but beyond that if he can remain a Croatian internationalist then even if he doesn't settle then he will retain value.

I can't help but think though a technical player in a team of genuine talent against absolute mediocrity is not the same pressure he faces at Ibrox.

Good to see any Ranger win plaudits for a good performance on international duty. Good for the player. Good for Rangers. Can only help with his confidence. I think he lacks a little belief in a Rangers shirt at the moment, he’s still settling in to a new club, culture and environment and seems a wee bit intimidated by it all. No doubt that he has quality though, he’s very quick and can deliver brilliantly with his left foot. I hope he settles, grows in confidence and we get to see the real Borna.

Barisic and grezda will come good for us

Don't know what it is with barisic playing for us. I think it's just confidence, the ability is definitely there.

He plays better when he has space to get in behind and whip balls in. He’s not great at beating a man from a standing start and teams with 10 behind the ball leave him with nowhere to go.

I think he’ll come good with a bit of time in a similar vein to Tav but hopefully more solid at the back

This is absolutely spot on.

He's not got that burst of pace that Tav has to beat his man, and that's absolutely essential when he's playing (9 times out of 10) against a defence that's sitting way back on their own 18 yard line with 10 men behind the ball.

Who is telling SG that he has to buck up his ideas?

I am concerned that the main people he has criticised has been Barisic, Grezda and Katic while the likes of Tavernier, Worrall, Goldson, Jack, Candieas, Kent etc have received none despite having many poor games.
I think it was more Barisic and Grezda who were to buck up and it was more to do with injuries, he maybe thought that both didn’t have the same mentality as the British players towards little niggles, candies being one of the few foreign exceptions

i think his confidence (with us) is shot
hopefully this starts rebuilding it

i'm expecting a big player next season

Unconfident players don't put the most crosses in during a game.

He has been better than some on here would have you believe.

Barasic is an incredible signing for us that has unfortunately suffered from a few injuries since joining.
There's absolutely no doubt that he's a quality footballer and I'm quite sure he could be a major success for us in the years to come!
Great he got such fantastic recognition for his country yesterday...well done Borna!

I feel exactly the same, I am sure Borna will prove to be an excellent LB for us. Signing the Croatian LB is exactly the kind of player we should be in the market for. Hoping his performance and goal helps his confidence, and is able to finish the season on a high!

I can hardly remember a tackle on BB to be honest...nearly always behind the ball but to be old school a defender that gets kicked? Really?

Did you not see the last minute assault on him last game? He has took some nasty late challenges as have all of our players he just isn’t used to it.
Hope we can find a way of getting the best from him in Scottish football.

a near season long rough patch is a new one.

He needs to buck up his ideas or he's out the door. Gerrard basically told him as much in that press conference last week.

All well and good playing well against a poor side, lets see how he does next weekend if selected v that lot. A much truer test of him

Well he's good for Croatia and was good for Osijek. Whose to say Gerrard isn't part of the problem?

Hope he kicks on and hopefully shows us what he is capable of. I believe he is a good player, but to argue that he hasn’t been a disappointment for us this season is pure mental. That mini tantrum in the Helsinki friendly had me in shock. No matter how homesick, or unhappy he may be he should be ripping up this league.

Back