Bring Ross McCrorie home

Start by reading what I've said mate. That might help!

I have read what you said. I just happen to disagree. Ross needs game time. Not 20 to 40 minute cameos from the bench when we need to shore things up in the occasional game. He'd only be needed for a handful of fixtures a season if we utilised him as you've suggested. I think we are all forgetting, Ross wanted to go out on loan and wanted to try to gain experience by playing regular football. We didn't force him out on loan. He opted to go, rather than sit on the bench all season.

He was outstanding in the 1-0 win against the filth at Christmas last season. After that game Gerrard said the jersey was his.

He hardly got a sniff after that though and was then sent out on loan.

He’s a good player but he needs regular 90 minutes to develop properly.

He doesn't fit the system that's why he was told he wouldn't be getting much game time this season. To throw him into tough away fixtures when he hardly plays and changing the system to suit is asking for trouble.
We absolutely slated Warburton for not being able to change tactics when plan ‘A’ wasn’t working.
Having three very similar players in midfield is a problem in certain games,it’s one of the reasons why there’s a lot of the support asking for a more attacking midfielder brought in.

No reason why we shouldn’t have more of a ball winning player able to step in for certain games either.

Souness did an interview once about the type of balance required in midfield,he was of the opinion you needed a ball winner,playmaker and one or two players prepared to support the attack depending on what system you operated.Now I appreciate the game is always evolving,but there’s a degree of truth to what he said still today I would suggest.

His career development is better served playing. Full stop. He won't get that at Ibrox until he improves. Its hardly unusual for a young player to play in different positions. If I recall McCrorie played right-back at Ayr (how dare they!) in addition to his stints for us at centre-back. Regardless of position, you asked when he was physically dominated and I gave you a valid answer.

What we needed on Sunday was for our team to turn up and simply play an 'average' game. That would have been enough. Hearts offered nothing but effort, it was nothing to do with strength, power or whatever else you want to call it. All we had to do was get our foot on the ball and play OUR game.

Your obsession with Ross McCrorie is quite something. I'm honestly beginning to wonder if you are just trolling us. He's nowhere near the level you seem to see him at. He has the potential to be a good player. Let him develop rather than warm the bench.
None of that matters. The team didn't play average and we had nothing on the bench to change it. Ross would've given us something at half time that we needed yet didn't have on the bench. As he would've other times this season and will do again.

It was everything to do with us losing the physical battle because they wanted it more because we're too arrogant to realise that we won't have it our own way all the time and sometimes we need go to battle and win it.

The point again is to have options when things aren't going well. He gives us an option we don't have from the bench. I don't understand how people don't realise this.

I have read what you said. I just happen to disagree. Ross needs game time. Not 20 to 40 minute cameos from the bench when we need to shore things up in the occasional game. He'd only be needed for a handful of fixtures a season if we utilised him as you've suggested. I think we are all forgetting, Ross wanted to go out on loan and wanted to try to gain experience by playing regular football. We didn't force him out on loan. He opted to go, rather than sit on the bench all season.
And we need midfielders capable of coming off the bench and doing a job when things aren't working. To put their foot in, break up play slow down momentum and stop people from playing.

That's what a bench is supposed to be for, to give options to change things and stop things that are hurting us and on Sunday as on several other times this season we needed it and didn't have it on the bench.

He's a rangers player we pay his wages our bench is weaker without him. So he should be with us doing a job when required.

Why?
so he can run about flinging himself into tackles and if he gets the ball he’s like a dear in the headlights?
Docherty can’t get near the team and he’s a far superior football to McCrorie.

He's easily the most athletic and mobile midfielder we have btw.

I'd be twice as athletic and mobile as Ross mate, but you wouldn't want me starting in the midfield.

Gerrard likes all his midfielders to have high technical ability and he should know a thing or 2 about midfielders.

Our midfield has outplayed everyone in Scotland and some very good European teams.

You don't change everything because of one bad result mate.

All part of the meltdown from Sunday.
Nothing to do with a meltdown I've been saying this all season, said it after we beat Celtic when everyone was talking about how great the squad is. Not saying that now though are they?

We need different options from the bench to to make our subs more effective and to change things when it isn't working. Ross is a very effective player at doing a very specific thing which we don't have on the bench.

I'd be twice as athletic and mobile as Ross mate, but you wouldn't want me starting in the midfield.

Gerrard likes all his midfielders to have high technical ability and he should know a thing or 2 about midfielders.

Our midfield has outplayed everyone in Scotland and some very good European teams.

That’s not what he’s saying mate.

Look at the BS Warburton took for years for not having a Plan B. Every top business in the world has contingency plans so why not football teams ?

To me no matter what Gerrards Plan A is there will be times that compromise is required, such as both games at Tynecastle & Pittodrie.

I have raised the issue for 18 months or so about our midfield group being ‘samey’ and we still should consider having BOTH defensive & attacking alternatives to our norm to cope with different circumstances.

I know you’ll say well that’s not Gerrard etc but I’ll say to you, it’s healthy to be able to react to things in life, football or not. Gerrard is a young manager who may change his view as he gains experience.

But interestingly enough, not the manager and the coaching staff who worked with him every day.
The management who only the other week were saying they were happy with the squad and you were agreeing that we have the squad to win the league? Are they still happy with the squad? -)

As far as I'm aware management were happy to keep him around. I'm not saying he's a starter I'm saying he's useful to have in the squad.

That’s not what he’s saying mate.

Look at the BS Warburton took for years for not having a Plan B. Every top business in the world has contingency plans so why not football teams ?

To me no matter what Gerrards Plan A is there will be times that compromise is required, such as both games at Tynecastle & Pittodrie.

I have raised the issue for 18 months or so about our midfield group being ‘samey’ and we still should consider having BOTH defensive & attacking alternatives to our norm to cope with different circumstances.

I know you’ll say well that’s not Gerrard etc but I’ll say to you, it’s healthy to be able to react to things in life, football or not. Gerrard is a young manager who may change his view as he gains experience.

I agree you need to mix things up on the odd occasion if it's not working, although I don't think Klopp ever has at Liverpool.
He sticks rigidly to his formation, irrespective of how the game is going.

We can add physicality if required though Grigo, but not to a major detriment of our technical ability.

It then just becomes a physical battle and you are playing to the opposition's strengths.

Both Polster or even Edmundson could add every bit as much physicality and athleticism as Ross, but with superior technical ability.

I'm not arguing about adding physicality, I'm arguing that there are superior technical players that could do that for us than Ross.

I agree you need to mix things up on the odd occasion if it's not working, although I don't think Klopp ever has at Liverpool.

We can add physicality if required though Grigo, but not to a major detriment of our technical ability.

It then just becomes a physical battle and you are playing to the opposition's strengths.

Both Polster or even Edmundson could add every bit as much physicality and athleticism as Ross, but with superior technical ability.

I'm not arguing about adding physicality, I'm arguing that there are superior technical players that could do that for us than Ross.
We don't have the squad Liverpool have and this is the problem. We have been at times when things aren't working shoe horning players into a system they aren't good enough to play.

Instead of adapting the system to the reality of who we have on the bench and who we are playing and what we need to do to win.

Sticking rigidly to one system is fine if you have a full squad to play it we dont. This is why Barker was continually brought on before Stewart yet Stewart is a more effective player. We should adapt the system to suit Stewart rather than the other way around sticking to a system to play Barker or Ojo or any one else who time after time fails to perform.

Anyway all opinions of course -) I'm away!

The management who only the other week were saying they were happy with the squad and you were agreeing that we have the squad to win the league? Are they still happy with the squad? -)

As far as I'm aware management were happy to keep him around. I'm not saying he's a starter I'm saying he's useful to have in the squad.

I certainly don't think they are evaluating the whole squad because of one defeat after an outstanding 6 months mate.

I still think they want to bring in at least one quality addition and I believe they will.

The Jones and Barker situation is a bit of a red herring, as they've made a minimal contribution to the season so far anyway.

One quality signing will more than compensate for their leaving.

Regarding Ross, remember he wanted to go on loan if he wasn't going to be playing regularly with us.

That was never happening this season.

I don’t see the evidence to support your comment that Polster & Edmondson are better than Ross. They’ve hardly played for the first team & definitely not in places such as Parkhead & Pittodrie, where Ross has.

Ross scores the equaliser at Pittodrie & played in two shitty Rangers teams that got draws at Parkhead.

What evidence suggests the others will improve on that ?

Last edited:
I don’t see the evidence to support your comment that Polster & Edmondson are better than Ross. They’ve hardly played for the first team & definitely not in places such as Parkhead & Pittodrie, where Ross has.

Ross scores the equaliser at Pittodrie & played one two shitty Rangers teams that got draws at Parkhead.

Agree 100%! McCrorie will run through brick walls for Rangers and there's no chance he wasn't blootering that ball up the line instead of fannying about with it like Kamara.

Ross scores the equaliser at Pittodrie & played one two shitty Rangers teams that got draws at Parkhead.

Both players are way more comfortable with the ball at their feet and retain possession better Grigo.

I'm a fan of McCrorie and when he improves his technical ability and possession retention he's got all the tools for me.

To improve he has to be playing.

Both players are way more comfortable with the ball at their feet and retain possession better Grigo.

I'm a fan of McCrorie and when he improves his technical ability and possession retention he's got all the tools for me.

To improve he has to be playing.

Sorry mate, I’m yet to see evidence of that in games that matter.

You can criticise Ross’s lack of technical ability all you want, but that 21yo has gone into the lions den & come out thriving.

Time will tell who’s right and ill support them all until that point.

Agree 100%! McCrorie will run through brick walls for Rangers and there's no chance he wasn't blootering that ball up the line instead of fannying about with it like Kamara.

Its highly likely that the Manager doesn't want players 'blootering the ball up the park'. Take our goal on Sunday, would have been easy for the defenders (Polster/Goldson?) to blooter the ball up the park and out of danger. We didn't, we played the passes and got the reward. How many times do you hear Gerrard talk about the players 'being brave on the ball'?

Kamara should have played the ball back to Barisic and we should have built from there. He's always got a mistake in him but over the course of the season he has been one of our better and more consistent performers. The reaction to Sunday has been way OTT.

Last edited:
Its highly likely that the Manager doesn't want players 'blootering the ball up the park'. Take our goal on Sunday, would have been easy for the defenders (Polster/Goldosn?) to blooter the ball up the park and out of danger. We didn't, we played the passes and got the reward. How many times do you hear Gerrard talk about the players 'being brave on the ball'?

Kamara should have played the ball back to Barisic and we should have built from there. He's always got a mistake in him but over the course of the season he has been one of our better and more consistent performers. The reaction to Sunday has been way OTT.

Disagree. On a surface like that and in a stadium like that at 1-1 when the place was baying or blood, you get the ball up the park and regroup and get everyone back in position.

Then you can start playing football.

It's naive. Like not seeing a game out a 1-0 and losing a last minute equaliser.

Sorry mate, I’m yet to see evidence of that in games that matter.

You can criticise Ross’s lack of technical ability all you want, but that 21yo has gone into the lions den & come out thriving.

Time will tell who’s right and ill support them all until that point.

So will I mate.

The bottom line is we have to be guided by the coaching staff who work with our players each day.

Particularly Gerrard and McAllister, when it comes to midfielders.

I say this with absolutely no disrespect meant to Ross, but it has happened with a lot of players in the past - Steven Maclean, Ross McCormack, Ryan Hardie etc - they become better players when out on loan, or out of the picture.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that jazz.

Ross needs first team football, and to find a postion on the park to make his own.
He showed promise as a DM, but questions still linger over his retention of possession.

Pompey fancy him as a RB, I personally don't see that as a long term position for him.

I would rather he finds a loan in a team like Motherwell and plays weekly.

he'd be great cover for DM an RB (far better option than flanagan)

problem is he's at an age where he needs game time, which he isn't actually getting on his current loan.

he probably would be better here unless he's playing week in week out elsewhere

Disagree. On a surface like that and in a stadium like that at 1-1 when the place was baying or blood, you get the ball up the park and regroup and get everyone back in position.

Then you can start playing football.

It's naive. Like not seeing a game out a 1-0 and losing a last minute equaliser.

We were winning 1-0, and relatively comfortable with it, when Kamara made his mistake. Also, at that point, the defence was already in position, we didn't need to regroup. His howler, and Goldson's slip, caused the goal. He had a fairly straight forward pass to Barisic that would have let Borna turn and play the ball back to McGregor.

Blootering the ball up the park is what we did later in the game - and the damned ball just kept on coming right back at us.

So will I mate.

The bottom line is we have to be guided by the coaching staff who work with our players each day.

Particularly Gerrard and McAllister, when it comes to midfielders.

Of course. They will decide a lot of these guys futures, not us.

And I do admit that I’m biased towards guys like Ross, Alfie & Morelos who wont back down to the hammer throwers in this country like others have over the years. To be a success at our club you need to be mentally strong as you know.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but with the way Gerrard does things, we'd recall him and he'd maybe make the bench at best and never be used.

He’s injured.
He got injured playing right back at a place he shouldn't of been.

Surely you are at it with this reply. He could easily have been injured somewhere else. Ross McCrorie isn’t the answer to our issues

No, but you do have a plan B for when those technically superior players are struggling - ie. Hearts.

People are also making out like McCrorie is terrible on the ball. There were a few games last season where he absolutely dominated...Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen spring to mind. That doesn't happen if you're just a big hammer thrower.

No, but you do have a plan B for when those technically superior players are struggling - ie. Hearts.

People are also making out like McCrorie is terrible on the ball. There were a few games last season where he absolutely dominated...Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen spring to mind. That doesn't happen if you're just a big hammer thrower.

Yep mate I agree, but if you want Ross to become the complete player, then he has to play regularly to improve his deficiencies.

We've already hammered Hibs (twice) , Aberdeen and beaten Celtic with a midfield that were way superior to anything they had to offer.

There will be the very rare game where Gerrard would want to go with a destroying midfielder, maybe 4 or 5 all season.
Ross told Gerrard he wanted to be playing regularly and that wasn't going to happen up here this season.

Ross has gone out on loan to make himself a better, more technical midfielder.

For the avoidance of doubt he's only just returned to training with his loan club after been back at Rangers for treatment (and Dubai) and isn't expected to play for them tonight.

He also seems to have a habit of getting caught in possession in our own half quite a lot but he's more fashionable than McCrorie these days.

Wasn't so long ago that Gerrard was calling McCrorie a future Rangers captain.

He may yet be - once he learns his trade. Half a dozen, at most, games per season at Ibrox isn't going to help his development. A bit more composure on the ball and a bit less rashness in the tackle would help. That's what he's gone out to learn - and promptly got sent off in something like his third game for Pompey.

He also seems to have a habit of getting caught in possession in our own half quite a lot but he's more fashionable than McCrorie these days.

Wasn't so long ago that Gerrard was calling McCrorie a future Rangers captain.
And saying the shirt was his. He's better than what give him credit for. And is a useful player to have we could be doing with him.

He may yet be - once he learns his trade. Half a dozen, at most, games per season at Ibrox isn't going to help his development. A bit more composure on the ball and a bit less rashness in the tackle would help. That's what he's gone out to learn - and promptly got sent off in something like his third game for Pompey.
Half a dozen games that could be the difference between seeing out a lead or not is all that we should be concerning ourselves with. He's an effective player at closing teams down. Something we don't have on the bench and should.

Back