Bring Ross McCrorie home

BelfastRanger

I have been watching Rangers my entire life. And for as long as I have been watching us any successful Rangers team have always had a series of midfielders that do different things.

We have always had players who may not of played every game but were in and around the squad and played in certain games when needed. Whether it was guys like Terry Hurlock or Ian Ferguson or Stuart McCall or Kevin Thompson the list is endless we have always had that one player who we can bring on to win tackles, win the ball and shut down teams momentum and that is their role. Ross McCrorie is that player.

Our midfield this season had been immense, however that does not denude the fact that at times and in certain games we have needed something different and we have had no one to bring on and give us that different.

Yesterday we were crying out for him to replace Kamara at half time but we had no one because he's out on loan playing right back when he should be in our squad to stomp all over people just like he did last season against Aberdeen and against Celtic when we needed him too.

This talk of his passing ability not being up to standard is over complicating his role and is frankly bullshit. And besides I haven't seen him commit as many howlers that have cost us goals as Kamara has yet few talk about that, and besides he wins the ball and passes it forward. Simple.

How we set up won't always work and we need options that can change that so that it does work. To crunch into tackles to win the ball and shut down momentum and stop people playing. We have four adequate midfielders for three positions yet I've been hearing all season how we are "loaded" with midfielders, we aren't! Yesterday we had no one to bring on to shut down their attacks.

He should be recalled and he should be used when needed.

And please don't say Edmundson can do it, he is a centre back who has never played in midfield and anyone who says he can is basing it on nothing more than conjecture. We know what Ross can bring and he is a useful player to have.

We could of been doing with him against Aberdeen away when we allow them to run all over us and get back into the game after being 2-0 up. We could of being doing with him both times at Tyne castle and any other time we need to change it. We are thread bare in midfield and are only a couple of injuries or suspensions away from a crisis.

Disagree all you want. I'm still right

I have a large collection of butt-plugs. He never shoukd of been loaned out in the first place.

Last edited:
Agreed. People don't seem to understand things like suspensions, injuries and loss of form on here. Ross will play his part if recalled

Reactions: R-M
Agreed. People don't seem to understand things like suspensions, injuries and loss of form on here. Ross will play his part if recalled
All transfer talk has been about wingers yet we don't even play with wingers. We should of been signing at least one midfielder as soon as the window opened. I said it then and I'll say it now.

It's irresponsible to expect to play a full season with four midfielders for three positions. Polster hasn't been played and was getting loaned out a week ago. King is gone Doc apparently is going to. It's irresponsible by management and it needs rectified sharpish.

If we consider him a midfielder we really need to recall him. We only have Davis, Jack, Kamara, and Arfield. Aribo is now a forward.

I wish one of our esteemed journalists could actually ask a useful question. We need to know if we have enough midfielders in SGs opinion, if not what's he going to do about it.

We already know Docherty isn't fancied.
We don't have enough midfielders mate, especially if we're getting rid of what we have. It's irresponsible to have four players to fill three such important positions, especially after already playing so many games. Then there's injuries, suspensions loss of form etc. It's madness.

We don't have enough midfielders mate, especially if we're getting rid of what we have. It's irresponsible to have four players to fill three such important positions, especially after already playing so many games. Then there's injuries, suspensions loss of form etc. It's madness.

King has left and Doc is expected to leave. Neither of them have featured so it's no great loss. It really depends how the manager views things but the fact Barker and Jones are expected to be leaving suggests we'll be looking at bringing in someone who can play out wide, or the right sided ten role which is what Gerrard has described Aribo's role in the team. Aribo can play central midfield so we'd have enough cover in there. We'd have Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield and Aribo with Halliday and Polster as two options if there's an injury crisis.

King has left and Doc is expected to leave. Neither of them have featured so it's no great loss. It really depends how the manager views things but the fact Barker and Jones are expected to be leaving suggests we'll be looking at bringing in someone who can play out wide, or the right sided ten role which is what Gerrard has described Aribo's role in the team. Aribo can play central midfield so we'd have enough cover in there. We'd have Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield and Aribo with Halliday and Polster as two options if there's an injury crisis.
Aribo has been playing as part of a front three. Halliday is shite. Sorry he has fan boys on here but it's true. Polster was being sold or loaned last week. He's unknown. We have Jack, Davis, Kamara and Arfield. If Aribo drops into midfield then we are weaker up top.

What happens if one or two or three of them gets injured, suspended or loses form?

Our midfield is so thinned out that Glen Kamara can give one of the worst performances in midfield for Rangers that you'll ever see and still can't be dropped because we have one injury. That's the reality.

Aribo has been playing as part of a front three. Halliday is shite. Sorry he has fan boys on here but it's true. Polster was being sold or loaned last week. He's unknown. We have Jack, Davis, Kamara and Arfield. If Aribo drops into midfield then we are weaker up top.

What happens if one or two or three of them gets injured, suspended or loses form?

Our midfield is so thinned out that Glen Kamara can give one of the worst performances in midfield for Rangers that you'll ever see and still can't be dropped because we have one injury. That's the reality.

The point was we could sign someone who can play the Aribo role behind Morelos. Certainly if Jones and Barker were to leave I would be amazed if we didn't sign someone for that role. It would then be up to Aribo to fight for that postion but he would also be an option for central midfield where he has featured many times this season.

The point was we could sign someone who can play the Aribo role behind Morelos. Certainly if Jones and Barker were to leave I would be amazed if we didn't sign someone for that role. It would then be up to Aribo to fight for that postion but he would also be an option for central midfield where he has featured many times this season.
He couldn't cut it in midfield. Polster will be playing right back tomorrow night. And besides Aribo is a totally different player to Ross. We need a guy like Ross in the squad. We have a midfield of players that are all similar and nothing on the bench to change it when it's not working. We have left ourselves short and it's a mistake.

I think at the time we all recognised we lacked a destroyer type.

We’ve done well without it, tbh.

However, I’d argue, Hearts x 2 and Sheep away, that’s three games where you bring him on go stamp some authority.

Davis isn’t a tough tackler. Kamara is neat, but again, no physicality. Jack needs help at times.

Ferguson doesn’t boss the second half at Pittodrie with McCrorie on him. Sibbick doesn’t get to run round putting out fires with a McCrorie there on Sunday.

I have been watching Rangers my entire life. And for as long as I have been watching us any successful Rangers team have always had a series of midfielders that do different things.

We have always had players who may not of played every game but were in and around the squad and played in certain games when needed. Whether it was guys like Terry Hurlock or Ian Ferguson or Stuart McCall or Kevin Thompson the list is endless we have always had that one player who we can bring on to win tackles, win the ball and shut down teams momentum and that is their role. Ross McCrorie is that player.

Our midfield this season had been immense, however that does not denude the fact that at times and in certain games we have needed something different and we have had no one to bring on and give us that different.

Yesterday we were crying out for him to replace Kamara at half time but we had no one because he's out on loan playing right back when he should be in our squad to stomp all over people just like he did last season against Aberdeen and against Celtic when we needed him too.

This talk of his passing ability not being up to standard is over complicating his role and is frankly bullshit. And besides I haven't seen him commit as many howlers that have cost us goals as Kamara has yet few talk about that, and besides he wins the ball and passes it forward. Simple.

How we set up won't always work and we need options that can change that so that it does work. To crunch into tackles to win the ball and shut down momentum and stop people playing. We have four adequate midfielders for three positions yet I've been hearing all season how we are "loaded" with midfielders, we aren't! Yesterday we had no one to bring on to shut down their attacks.

And please don't say Edmundson can do it, he is a centre back who has never played in midfield and anyone who says he can is basing it on nothing more than conjecture. We know what Ross can bring and he is a useful player to have.

We could of been doing with him against Aberdeen away when we allow them to run all over us and get back into the game after being 2-0 up. We could of being doing with him both times at Tyne castle and any other time we need to change it. We are thread bare in midfield and are only a couple of injuries or suspensions away from a crisis.

I have a large collection of butt-plugs. He never shoukd of been loaned out in the first place.
Agreed.

I think at the time we all recognised we lacked a destroyer type.

We’ve done well without it, tbh.

However, I’d argue, Hearts x 2 and Sheep away, that’s three games where you bring him on go stamp some authority.

Davis isn’t a tough tackler. Kamara is neat, but again, no physicality. Jack needs help at times.

Ferguson doesn’t boss the second half at Pittodrie with McCrorie on him. Sibbick doesn’t get to run round putting out fires with a McCrorie there on Sunday.
Exactly. We had no one on the bench on Sunday to shut down the game because he's out on loan. We've focused too much on attack in our squad and forgotten that having someone to sit in front of defence can be just as important as bringing on someone at the top end of the pitch. We've needed someone like that several times this season and will do again and haven't had it. And we also need cover for injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc.

It was a mistake to loan him out and a mistake again not to recall him.

Is he not back at the Hummel doing his rehab for a bad injury sustained down at Portsmouth so he is not any use to us just now anyway

He couldn't cut it in midfield. Polster will be playing right back tomorrow night. And besides Aribo is a totally different player to Ross. We need a guy like Ross in the squad. We have a midfield of players that are all similar and nothing on the bench to change it when it's not working. We have left ourselves short and it's a mistake.
I said at the very start of the season we should've kept big Ross, as he is another option to have shuts down runs from certain players

Tremendous :D

-)

It's very frustrating when we get out muscled in midfield and drop points because of it, I can't stand it. Especially when our most physical midfielder who has dominated the strongest midfields in this league is out on loan.

A Rangers midfield should never be beaten physically by anyone. And I think what Ross brings is both needed and hugely under valued.

One of the worst passers we’ve had and when we are screaming out for someone who can score we have a clamour for a player who couldn’t hit the proverbial coo.

I'd like to see him back, he'd offer decent backup and we need squad players to cover for injuries and suspensions. If we beat Braga then the fixtures are going to be hectic and we'll need fresh legs for it

I totally agree with the op. While I agreed with Gerrard's opinion that Ross needed to play, I always thought that he was an important of our squad and should not have gone out on loan.

It's the beauty of football fans the world over. In what other profession do laymen challenge expert opinion with such authority?

I think we have to put aside personal preferences and appreciate that McCrorie lacks certain attributes Gerrard looks for in his midfielders, most notably the ability to be comfortable in possession.

I like the kid and agree that he offers us something different that might have been what we needed in a game like Sunday, but it shouldn't really mask the fact we have better midfielders ahead of him that have proven themselves more than capable of handling the roughhouse tactics the majority of SPFL opponents offer up this season, but simply failed to turn up.

Our squad is structured to accomadate our one and only way of playing. And that wont change. It didn't change on Sunday even though it meant our only fit striker, being an empty shirt. I dont think Ross is seen as complimentary to our one and only way of playing and therefore I think he will eventually be moved on. Unless our coaching team start to develop a few more strings to their bow.

One of the worst passers we’ve had and when we are screaming out for someone who can score we have a clamour for a player who couldn’t hit the proverbial coo.

That doesn't disprove what I'm saying, it's another area where we need options. It's not all about attack. Having someone in front of defence to shut down attacks and win the physical battle can be just as important. Aberdeen away and Sunday two perfect examples.

Having option to deal with any eventuality. Any successful Rangers team has not it.

Our squad is structured to accomadate our one and only way of playing. And that wont change. It didn't change on Sunday even though it meant our only fit striker, being an empty shirt. I dont think Ross is seen as complimentary to our one and only way of playing and therefore I think he will eventually be moved on. Unless our coaching team start to develop a few more strings to their bow.
It's a problem they need to realise and rectify.

That doesn't disprove what I'm saying, it's another area where we need options. It's not all about attack. Having someone in front of defence to shut down attacks and win the physical battle can be just as important. Aberdeen away and Sunday two perfect examples.

Having option to deal with any eventuality. Any successful Rangers team has not it.

no point in winning the ball if you can’t do something with it. The problem on Sunday was our passing.We hardly strung more than 3 passes together unless it was going back to McGergor.

no point in winning the ball if you can’t do something with it. The problem on Sunday was our passing.We hardly strung more than 3 passes together unless it was going back to McGergor.
You need to win the ball first and win the battle before you can do anything with it.

AfeckingMEN.

100% correct.

Ditto

Pointless ? You want to bring back an injured player ffs . I’m informing you it won’t do any good .
I'm saying he shouldn't of been sent out on loan in the first place. And besides he won't be out for long and we have the rest of the season and we need cover for midfield. So aye pointless.

I'm saying he shouldn't of been sent out on loan in the first place. And besides he won't be out for long and we have the rest of the season and we need cover for midfield. So aye pointless.

The fact is the manager deemed him surplus to requirements and felt getting games down south would be best for him .

I like mcrorie as a player but I’ll take Gerrards judgement over yours every day of the week if that’s ok , and as I Say it’s pointless thinking bringing him back just now while jack is injured would help , he’s going to be out longer than jack for a start .

Madness .

Back