Bristol Rovers boss Joey Barton 'should consider future' after Holocaust analogy

Ray Von

Joey Barton has been told to consider his future as Bristol Rovers manager after comparing a poor performance by his side to the Holocaust.

Bristol councillor Fabian Breckels, an associate member of the Jewish Labour Movement, said the former England player's comments were "appalling".

Mr Breckels also criticised the club which has so far refused to comment on Mr Barton's comparison.

He said they "ought to provide a considered response fairly soon".

Footage of the Rovers' manager's comments after its 3-1 defeat to Newport County went viral, and Mr Breckels was one of a number of anti-Semitism campaigners to criticise the former England international.

Dame Helen Hyde, a trustee of the National Holocaust Centre and Museum, believes his analogy showed a "lack of knowledge".

"The Holocaust was not a game," she said.

"I don't think Mr Barton knows what the word means and he is certainly not aware of the huge sadness and offence he has caused.

"Might I suggest he is encouraged to learn about these tragic events," she added.

Karen Pollock, chief executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said it was "clearly an inappropriate comparison".

During a post-match press conference on Saturday, Mr Barton told reporters: "I said to the lads during the week, 'the team's almost like musical chairs'.

"Someone gets in and does well but then gets suspended or injured.

"Someone gets in for a game, does well but then has a Holocaust, a nightmare, an absolute disaster."

The Holocaust, carried out by the Nazis during World War Two, claimed the lives about an estimated six million Jews.

When, how, where and by whom?

I've never heard that term being used in footballing terms in my puff.
I put a link to Perry Groves saying it.Heres Tony Cascarino saying it as well

When, how, where and by whom?

I've never heard that term being used in footballing terms in my puff.
There was a poster on here said he used it at fives all the time, was another thread, ams when pulled up didn't see the harm in using it. Unfortunately there are imbeciles who use words and dont know what they mean.

I put a link to Perry Groves saying it.Heres Tony Cascarino saying it as well
As I said never in my puff have I heard such a term being used.

Obviously you've proved it has been.

I just don't get the thought process behind using that word at all.

As I said never in my puff have I heard such a term being used.

Obviously you've proved it has been.

I just don't get the thought process behind using that word at all.
Yeah it sounds awkward and wrong and that’s a sign to not use it let alone think it’s appropriate . This specific fool really needs to understand he hasn’t anywhere near the capability he dreams of. Jot sure about the two ex-Arsenal guys who supposedly misused that too but it’s likely they too are fannies

Never ever heard anyone say something like that before either in football or in the street where people are wiser

Come on troops we were up in arms about the republican Labour MP comments on social media re Anne Frank and a drum kit did the quick out the traps Jewish councillor condemn the fellow Labour party republican member or is this just selective hypocrisy all round.

Yeah it sounds awkward and wrong and that’s a sign to not use it let alone think it’s appropriate . This specific fool really needs to understand he hasn’t anywhere near the capability he dreams of. Jot sure about the two ex-Arsenal guys who supposedly misused that too but it’s likely they too are fannies

Never ever heard anyone say something like that before either in football or in the street where people are wiser
I've been surrounded by Rangers fans all my life.

Obviously family, friends and acquaintances. Pals at school, pals at work etc.

I've been in more pubs and clubs pre and post match than I care to remember, but I've never heard that word or anything remotely associated to it in relation to football.

But as bud-light says, it has somehow and somewhere down the line been used.

A headshaker right enough.

Reminds me of this:

After the Ghana international clattered into City's striker Ched Evans, Pardew said: "He's a strong boy. He knocks him off." His fellow pundit Alan Hansen interjected to say, "he mauls him", before Pardew continued, "he absolutely rapes him". The comment was not spotted at the time by the host Adrian Chiles, Hansen or any of the programme's production staff who, it is understood, thought Pardew had said that Essien "rakes him".

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
It’s a term that’s been used by players and coaches for years so this never comes as a surprise when I hear about it happening. That doesn’t mean it’s right but it’s 100% used without thinking about the context and tragedy associated with the word. People should be educated on why it’s completely inappropriate and unacceptable but I don’t think it comes from a place of malice from anyone in the game, simply ignorance. People in the game also describe bad performances as a Chernobyl. Again, wrong but it’s said without thought.

I’ve heard players refer to having had a ‘nuclear’ which is a shortening of nuclear holocaust and/or nuclear disaster.

I’m assuming that Barton has just used training ground banter in the wrong circumstances. Joey isn’t exactly everyone’s cup of tea, but does he deserve to lose his job over the use of a word that people have suddenly deemed taboo if used in any other circumstances other than to describe the horrors which befell the Jewish people?

Appropriation - it’s a dangerous game.

Joey Barton likes to pretend he is intelligent, and speaks in a way that tries to mask the fact that he's an absolutely clueless bam.

Reactions: TN8
Can’t believe he thought he was the best midfielder in Scotland. He wasn’t even the best midfielder at Rangers, and we had Jason Holt and Emerson Hyndman playing for us.

It's happened several times. Clearly a poor choice of wording and tasteless, but not for one second do I think that anyone that's used the term has went out to cause offence. It's carelessness and lack of forethought as much as anything imo.
? thick as mince is what it is. The guy thinks he's clever.

Hes saying it as if its football jargon thats common.
Ive never in my life heard anyone describing a players performance as a holcaust.

Idiot.
Bomber Brown used it years ago, when talking about the kids on our “Blue Heaven” programme - I’d suggest it’s more common than you think.

Reminds me of this:

After the Ghana international clattered into City's striker Ched Evans, Pardew said: "He's a strong boy. He knocks him off." His fellow pundit Alan Hansen interjected to say, "he mauls him", before Pardew continued, "he absolutely rapes him". The comment was not spotted at the time by the host Adrian Chiles, Hansen or any of the programme's production staff who, it is understood, thought Pardew had said that Essien "rakes him".

Evans catching, not pitching?

Nothing to get offended about . Your allowed to use the word.
Try telling that to survivors and families of the people who didn't make it. Lack of education with people who think it is nothing to get offended about.

You’re allowed to compare a football result or player injuries to an event of mass murder and attempted genocide of a race of people?

%^*& right off
As strange as it to use the term holocaust in that context , if someone used that term in private you wouldn't be offended. So get off the bandwagon

Your not a Jewish Auschwitz survivor so stop getting offended on their behalf.

Try telling that to survivors and families of the people who didn't make it. Lack of education with people who think it is nothing to get offended about.
So if they are offended let them tell us. don't treat them as idiots and get offended on their behalf. Are you an Auschwitz survivor? No your not. You don't even care you just don't like Joey Barton

Back