Bristol Rovers boss Joey Barton 'should consider future' after Holocaust analogy

He is an absolute cretin, and an out and out wanker. It's shameful he ever got to pull on our jersey, a scum player every day of the week.

He’s a clown but I don’t think there’s any malice in what he’s said there despite some questionable incidents/comments in the past.

I’ve heard ‘Chernobyl’ used in the same way.

People on here must really live a sheltered life if they've never heard that term used to describe a cluster feck personal or someone else's. I know people live to be offended nowadays but some are ripping the absolute pish out of it now.
Amazing we’re not being given any examples just we have to accept it’s a form of language used to describe a cluster fûck

But you know us bed wetters always looking to be offended

Amazing we’re not being given any examples just we have to accept it’s a form of language used to describe a cluster fûck

But you know us bed wetters always looking to be offended
Yes you are. I have heard it used to describe a feck up or personal disaster all my life. Barton will be from a similar working class background as myself similar age will be the same.

OK, we all know Joey is not the most intelligent of people, but for goodness sake. Breckels as an associate member of the Jewish Labour Movement is walking on thin ice here.

Labour's anti-semitism reputation goes much deeper than anything Joey could come out with.

Last edited:
Barton is wańk, but I’d be surprised if his comment was said with any malice.

I am sure that’s not the first time I’ve heard the word holocaust cited in relation to a team’s capitulation either.

Not the first time I’ve heard it. It’s a bit of a tasteless term to use.

However there’s a difference between A holocaust and THE holocaust.

Don’t think there’s any genuine malice behind it if I’m honest.

Man's a prick but ffs sacked for that?
It’s a highly inappropriate metaphor to use but it’s never a sacking offence. He’s not the sharpest tool in the box a simple apology is surely sufficient? I highly doubt (but clearly this is supposition) that he meant anything offensive.

Doesn’t really make sense. If he was referring to an injury crisis as a Holocaust then at least he’d be using the word properly but it doesn’t really work in that context.

Also it’s not for us to say if it’s acceptable or not.* Much like what we’re dealing with, with the St. Mirren chairman right now, the opinion of those who it affects are the most important.

*by us I mean non-Jewish Rangers fans obviously for anyone on here that is Jewish

Yes you are. I have heard it used to describe a feck up or personal disaster all my life. Barton will be from a similar working class background as myself similar age will be the same.

In Glasgow? I never heard it growing up or into my twenties. I recall hearing it a few years ago, though, in a football context so maybe it has been around.

Barton is just a bit of a twat. Nothing more in this instance.

Holocaust wasn't used as a term for wartime events until the TV program of that name in the late seventies, I think it was.
Nonsense
Term was applied to Hiroshima and fire bombing of Dresden during or just after they happened
Was widely (and more exclusively) used to describe the slaughter of Jews and others since early 50s
Earliest use is believed to be New York Times in 1943

As strange as it to use the term holocaust in that context , if someone used that term in private you wouldn't be offended. So get off the bandwagon

Your not a Jewish Auschwitz survivor so stop getting offended on their behalf.
Aye but you are a prat

Some people might want to think about the various attacks against us recently before jumping on board with this one.

I mean really, think about it.

Hes saying it as if its football jargon thats common.
Ive never in my life heard anyone describing a players performance as a holcaust.

Idiot.
It was a stupid thing to say. That said the word has multiple meanings and wasn't used to describe the Jewish situation until the late 1950s. The words actual meanings refer to sacrifice and catastrophe. For Barton his injury crisis is a catastrophe or Holocaust in its original form. However he really needs to think before he speaks, he surely knows the sensitivity surrounding the word. An acknowledgement of that I think should be enough to move on.

Chernobyl is used as well. And “nuke”. It’s another term for a nightmare, bad performance.

It’s very common with players at every level in Britain. Although, I think most people know these terms shouldn’t be used in interviews.
Its not very common at all. Evidently going by this post its been used before but its the first time for many on here of ever hearing it.

Stupid thing to say given hes a public figure imo.

So if they are offended let them tell us. don't treat them as idiots and get offended on their behalf. Are you an Auschwitz survivor? No your not. You don't even care you just don't like Joey Barton
I'm not an Auschwitz survivor either mate but I absolutely dislike Barton. A clown of a man who should never been anywhere near our club.

I'm not an Auschwitz survivor either mate but I absolutely dislike Barton. A clown of a man who should never been anywhere near our club.
I dont like him either, I think he's a scummy guy
I just think there's an over reaction here to his holocaust comment

Back