British nationalism is a racial identity...

Thatcher Loyal

I don't think I've ever read as much nonsence as I have in this blog. If this is what JASON MICHAEL @RPJblog from Dublin/ Glasgow thinks of the pro- union movement then it's music to my ears as he so far out of touch.

BY JASON MICHAEL

THE CONNECTION BETWEEN BRITISH NATIONALISM/SCOTTISH UNIONISM AND RIGHT-WING RACIST STREET POLITICS IS NOT NEWS TO THOSE OF US IN THE SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE MOVEMENT, BUT IT IS BEING HIDDEN FROM EVERYONE ELSE. THIS MUST BE CALLED OUT.

Given that independentistas tend not to follow British nationalist or Scottish unionist accounts on social media – the latter being the Scottish cognate of the former, we find ourselves in a developing echo chamber. We read and share opinions and attitudes that broadly conform to those which we hold ourselves. This is compounded by pro-independence and British nationalist users frequently blocking one another. Rather than the internet and social media opening up the world to us; facilitating bigger conversations, we are fast becoming tribes, locked into limited digital spaces.

Over the past nine months, in an attempt break out of my own social media bubble, I have been monitoring about three hundred influential British nationalist and Scottish unionist accounts on Twitter with the help of a “lurker” account. It never tweets or retweets. This account simply follows, allowing me to see what is going on in the world of British nationalism in Scotland.

z-002
British nationalism, Scottish unionism, and Islamophobia in a single tweet.
What quickly becomes obvious is that this is an entirely different twittersphere from the one familiar to us in the independence movement. Misogyny and sexual swear words are ubiquitous. What passes for parody is more aggressive and offensive than it is tongue-in-cheek and light-hearted, and the iconography of Ulster loyalism and Rangers football club is everywhere. There is no clear delineation between British nationalism and Scottish unionism. They are essentially the same thing, with the exception that Scottish unionism focuses primarily on British nationalism in the context of the Scottish constitutional debate. Moreover, both British nationalists and Scottish unionists have a tendency to align themselves with so-called alt-right accounts in the United States.

Observing this British nationalist timeline, replete as it is with right-wing political viewpoints, overt racism and Islamophobia, and alt-right memes, has led me to the conclusion that British nationalism is a social expression in the UK of white supremacist identities and a highly racist ideology. In the same way that we have witnessed race hate groups in “Ameri-KKK-a” construct false equivalences between the white supremacists and the leftist counter-protesters, British nationalists have done the same by comparing the Scottish National Party to the Nazis.

Nicola Sturgeon is routinely depicted as an SS officer. This has been crystallised in at least one popular meme used by the “Nazi Nic” account with the Islamophobic handle “@jockystan.” Nazi Nic is followed by other well-known British nationalist troll accounts, including “UK Union Voice,” the now exposed Russian government account “David Jones,” “Agent P,” and the foulmouthed “Ayrshire Lass.” Yet a cursory glance at any British nationalist timeline is enough to show where the right-wing and openly racist sentiment in Scottish politics lies.

Tommy Robinson, one of England’s most infamous and outspoken racists, is not followed by this lurker on account of him not being related directly to Scottish politics. Still, he is a common fixture on the timeline; with a number of accounts retweeting him daily. No fewer than 52 of those followed by the lurker follow Robinson – that’s almost 20 per cent – and these include “Agent P”, “Mary Connor,” and “British Sauce.” In fact there is never more than two degrees of separation between mainstream Scottish unionists on Twitter – Effie Deans and Jill Stephenson for example – and the angry racist fringe of British nationalism.

Before discussing these observations further it is important to emphasise the distinction between a No voter and a Scottish unionist. By definition, all British nationalists in Scotland are No voters, but not all of those who voted No in September 2014 or who currently intend to vote No in another independence referendum identify as British nationalists or Scottish unionists. People opposed to Scottish independence oppose it for a plethora of reasons, but – sadly for them – they are forced to keep some rather unsavoury company. Racism, bigotry, and intolerance are endemic features of the No voting online community.

z-001
Nicola Sturgeon depicted as an SS officer.
Scottish unionism qua British nationalism – often masquerading as “patriotism” for fear of the more overt rightist connotations of nationalism – is saturated with oftentimes violent Islamophobic opinion. It is frequently racist and intolerant in its stance against immigration, the protection of refugees, and in its negative attitudes towards non-UK EU citizens, members of the Traveller community, and a whole host of other people it identifies as members of out-groups.

It is worrying in the extreme that nothing of this is covered by the British media. Considering that the evidence is so easily accessible online, it has to be thought that the BBC and the rest of Britain’s establishment media are aware of the racism within British nationalism in Scotland yet choose to ignore it. This is the case, one would imagine, because the racists of the British nationalist movement in Scotland and the British establishment are both on the same side in the fight against Scottish independence. Thus British nationalism in Scotland is being used as a cat’s paw, sowing division and drawing support to unionism by appealing to racist and bigoted opinions.

The danger of this racist ideology to the health of Scottish democracy is obscured by the fact that much of it is hidden behind the pretence of protecting the unity of the United Kingdom and further obfuscated by a state media unwilling to expose it. In effect then a vicious form of racist politics is being pushed into the mainstream of Scottish politics largely under the radar. While this is not particularly news to those in the independence movement, we must appreciate that this is being concealed from everyone else.

We have an obligation, not merely to Scotland but to the rest of these islands, to call this out wherever and whenever we see it. A way must be found to bring this to the attention of the wider public before it is too late. Such ideologies, once they have gained a foothold, are not easy to uproot and remove from the body politic. We simply cannot afford to tolerate this menace to our society.

British Nationalism: “Putting the Great back in Britain”

032 001

Advertisements
Rate this:
2 Votes
Share this:
Share on TumblrMore

RELATED
Unionism’s Straw Man Scottish Nationalism
Unionism’s Straw Man Scottish Nationalism
In "Politics"
Scottish Unionism and Racism
Scottish Unionism and Racism
In "Islamophobia"
Politics of Grievance and Hatred
Politics of Grievance and Hatred
In "Politics

Last edited:
One-sided drivel from yet another hater of anything British and to the thoughts of people who have a democratic right to view and share any views they may hold.

I wonder if him and phil 3 names are bum chums as this is the piss he would try to come out with.

No doubt the deluded scum bag will be offered a bigger platform in Scottish media to spout his unbalanced crap

The irony for me is that they just don't see British nationalism, Scottish nationalism are two cheeks of the same ars*. Both have the same basis for their belief that Britain is naturally superior to the rest of the EU, or Scotland is naturally superior to the rest of the UK.

The truth is both are completely wrong. Both are likely to end in the same disaster for ordinary folks. Nationalism has the same flaws all over the world. America, First, Britain first, Scotland First. Same rhetoric. Simple solutions too complex problems. Never works.

their nationalism is always the right kind the best kind. Always inclusive. Except when you listen to the rhetoric it is far form inclusive. Always someone to blame of the ills of the country, Mexican Immigrants, EU immigrants, the bloody English. Always the same crap.

Scotland hopefully is moving on. Britain is starting to realise the mistake that has been made. America is yet to realise the full effect of its folly.

The irony for me is that they just don't see British nationalism, Scottish nationalism are two cheeks of the same ars*. Both have the same basis for their belief that Britain is naturally superior to the rest of the EU, or Scotland is naturally superior to the rest of the UK.

The truth is both are completely wrong. Both are likely to end in the same disaster for ordinary folks. Nationalism has the same flaws all over the world. America, First, Britain first, Scotland First. Same rhetoric. Simple solutions too complex problems. Never works.

their nationalism is always the right kind the best kind. Always inclusive. Except when you listen to the rhetoric it is far form inclusive. Always someone to blame of the ills of the country, Mexican Immigrants, EU immigrants, the bloody English. Always the same crap.

Scotland hopefully is moving on. Britain is starting to realise the mistake that has been made. America is yet to realise the full effect of its folly.

Very good post.

All that said, where do you even start with drivel like this from his blog .... "has led me to the conclusion that British nationalism is a social expression in the UK of white supremacist identities and a highly racist ideology" .... basically, if you fully support the existence of the United kingdom, you are a racist, white supremacist.

As the OP said, the skewed and one-eyed conclusions this dolt reaches are so far removed from the actuality of the pro-union movement in Scotland that it is bordering on laughable.

Oooooooo, he knows some fancy words!

Pompous arse.

They are a deluded bunch.

The nationalist agenda has created an environment in this country, Scotland, that is toxic. They tried to promote an anti English culture and failed.

They can look at as many social media accounts as they like, they duffed their once in a lifetime referendum opportunity. Time to deal with the outcome.

Where is this British Nationalist shit coming from, i am Scottish but when asked my nationality i am British, does that make me a British Nationalist not in my eyes. I have no time for neo nazis, or type of groups, but i am proud to be British.

British nationalism = Bad
Scottish nationalism = Good

British unionism = Bad
European unionism = Good
It would be interesting to hear the mental acrobatics employed to accommodate this rationale.
On second thoughts, perhaps it is simply the concept of any thing British that causes them so much distress.

So an entire policitical campaign based on getting it right up the English not racist then?

Last edited:
Deep down they realise they are nationalist xenophobic intolerant small minded bigots and as such attempt to throw enough mud hoping some will stick.

The game is up, even their dear friends in the press realise that.

Sadly during the experiment, our education system has taken a doing, we are taxed more than our neighbours and our economy is flagging behind the rest of the UK.

Who's the roaster writing that pile of keech? He sums up everything I hate about Sinn'P, simply lies, distortions and hypocrisy. That he didn't manage to get "Tories" into his laughable rant is surely just an oversight.

This is a typical black propaganda piece from the nationalist 'intellegensia'.

Its all about trying to put 'No' voters into the same bracket as the extreme right national front types, because they think somehow this will appall enough voters to change their minds. They are trying a similar tactic with the Orange Order.

Thing is, the vast majority of right minded Scots see it for what it is - desperation

on twitter ive been called an orange bastard(not a member)%^*& off back to London(i was born in Glasgow)and a Brit Tory bastard(never voted for them).wonder if he will be monitoring Scottish nationalist accounts, you know just for balance.

The bottom line is they're trying to put up a barrier where none currently exists.

Divisions based on arbitrary lines drawn on maps of this small planet are no basis for an economic, social or cultural schism.

Absolute one sided drivel of the highest degree.

Firstly, I've followed Agent P for a very long time and have never once seen anything tweeted by him which is even remotely racist. He calls the Nats out for the hypocrites they are and that's just fine in my book.

Ayrshire Lass takes a barrel load of abuse from them for a variety of reasons, she likes to hit the gym so in the Nats view this means she's a man. She has had mental health problems in the past which they mock and they bring her children into their inane ramblings. No mention of that above.

I'm slightly disappointed that my pro UK twitter alias didn't get a mention. Just need to up my game I guess.

I assume this garbage article was published in the National?

Being patriotic in Britain is racist nowadays. You only need a couple of minutes with Channel 4 news to realise we are the bad guys in this country

Where is this British Nationalist shit coming from, i am Scottish but when asked my nationality i am British, does that make me a British Nationalist not in my eyes. I have no time for neo nazis, or type of groups, but i am proud to be British.
A few weeks ago Sturgeon admitted that the term nationalist was bad and not a great thing to be associated with.

They are now desperately trying to change "unionism" (they've been using the term Yoon since the result) into "British Nationalism".

The last desperate death rolls of a party and a support that had its chance, blew it, and refuse to accept it's over.

A few weeks ago Sturgeon admitted that the term nationalist was bad and not a great thing to be associated with.

They are now desperately trying to change "unionism" (they've been using the term Yoon since the result) into "British Nationalism".

The last desperate death rolls of a party and a support that had its chance, blew it, and refuse to accept it's over.
You the real Sasa from the old board?

The ill bigot of the many names and slow Joe have passed their shelflife, and the hag and the fake Rev are soon to follow

This bigot has obviously seen the gap in the market and fancies himself as the next sectarian crusader

the irony is the irish republicans and scottish national party supported the nazi's so much during world war 2 they contacted the Nazi's to tell them they would set up a puppet government if they invaded. they still support an open fascist in Arthur Donaldson. they think the best act of defence is to attack but the majority of people are getting sick of their pish. they always sing if you know your history but apparently they don't.

So to summarise: anybody who doesn't agree with ripping Scotland out of the uk is a swivel eyed racist who is a borderline member of the kkk and if you don't vote for separation you are guilty by association.

Just desperate desperate stuff.

They have given up trying to convince us and are now just going for broke and think we can be shamed and embarrassed into going their way.

A great many people in Scotland have had their mental health affected by the poison of Scottish nationalism and they should seek out professional help.

The bit about who's only two connections away is such a crock.

Anyone with a few hundred connections on Twitter must be only two connections away from just about everybody else. I don't follow any Nats, but I must be only two away from Sturgeon, Wings, and all the racial purity nutters.

Since helmet heid came out with her "I wish the party name was different" speech I've seen a marked increase from cybernats to paint anything pro British as British nationalism.

Back