Broomhill and Open Goal to part ways

ferguson

Hilarious how it's all unfolded. Ferry talks a good game and clearly rates himself very highly (ma teams goat an identity like) but has completely flopped as a manager. No doubt there was significant investment with Broadfoot arriving and several others from the Scottish lower league's. They currently sit 11th, 24 points off the top. Teams with a fraction of their budget miles in front of them.

Open Goal are set to end their partnership with Broomhill FC after just a year.

The podcast and entertainment brand - fronted by former Celtic and Swindon Town star Si Ferry - entered into the revolutionary agreement with the Lowland League club last summer. Ferry took on his first management job along with his fellow podcast star Paul Slane and attracted former pros including Kirk Broadfoot, Derek Lyle, Ryan Conroy and Gary Fraser to the club.

But the company are set to pull out at the end of the season, with Ferry and his management team departing. A source close to the club said the split was “amicable”.Players were told the news on Tuesday night with just five games remaining in their Lowland League campaign.

Hopes were high that Ferry and his staff could mount a challenge after a bright start to the season. A move from Alloa's Indodrill to Broadwood Stadium saw crowds rise with a record-breaking 1500 attending the third round Scottish Cup clash against Alloa Athletic.

But form tailed off and the club currently sit 11th in the 19-team division - 24 points behind leaders Spartans. The team’s highs and lows have been documented throughout the campaign in a popular YouTube documentary ‘Crossing the Line’. Broomhill hierarchy now face a rebuilding job with question marks hanging over where they base themselves and who will be in charge next season.

That would make sense.

They were clearly quite tight.

Kennedy will then apply for a league job and Ferry will get the Darvel gig.
Might be sooner rather than later as it looks like Darvel will be stuck in that league for another year, which means they’ll be at least 2 years behind schedule

Ill go for he gets the peterhead job. Lads who have it just now will be in charge till end of the season then he will get it

Hard to take Ferry seriously as a manager with his hands covered in bling like a high school ned and that ridiculous Tash and hairdo.

Exactly, I actually enjoy the podcast and some of the nonsense they get up to on it, but how can you be expected to be taken seriously as a manager when that's what you're getting up to on the side?

Ferry needs to make a decision if he's serious about managing a team, either quit the podcast and focus on that or continue with the podcast and be happy with coaching/managing at the lowest level.

Another who talks a good game but can't deliver, just like his pal Simon.
They won the league and missed out on the lowland league by losing the final game

This season they were doing well until they went deep in the Scottish cup. Absolutely pumped Montrose and beat Aberdeen. They should be doing better with the squad but the standard of that league looks not too bad, remember Pollok beating a league team too

Really?

I mean they won the league last season, beat Aberdeen in the cup this season. I'd say that's pretty good going.

I am quite sure with their budget which is reportedly bigger than teams in league one and league two they would expect to get out of the West of Scotland league. The cup was great but they'll be disappointed if they don't go up.

I would recommend watching the 'Crossing The Line' documentary series about Open Goal Broomhill. Its like a behind the scenes following them over the course of the season, there has been about 7 or 8 episodes released so far and I think its an interesting watch.

I can't say I'm surprised at how it has worked out to be honest. Ferry has got some good ideas as a coach as to how he wants them to play but for me it was never going to work in that league.

Really?

I mean they won the league last season, beat Aberdeen in the cup this season. I'd say that's pretty good going.

They were doing pretty well until they beat Aberdeen this season. Since then their form has taken a bit of a dive, suppose they have become an even bigger scalp for everyone else in the league. For me they should probably still be winning that league comfortably given how much money they are apparently chucking around.

Yeah of course it's amicable. He wants to fcuk off and the players want him to fcuk off. Maybe a year ago l had the misfortune of listening to his podcast. He sounds a pr1ck that loves the sound of his own voice and his sidekick numbskull slane who likes to act the village idiot really doesn't have to act.

I would recommend watching the 'Crossing The Line' documentary series about Open Goal Broomhill. Its like a behind the scenes following them over the course of the season, there has been about 7 or 8 episodes released so far and I think its an interesting watch.

I can't say I'm surprised at how it has worked out to be honest. Ferry has got some good ideas as a coach as to how he wants them to play but for me it was never going to work in that league.
Watched them a few times as my daughter in laws brother plays for them. They can play some cracking stuff. However defensively they are niave and a shambles all season. Agree the documentary is a good watch.

Watched them a few times as my daughter in laws brother plays for them. They can play some cracking stuff. However defensively they are niave and a shambles all season. Agree the documentary is a good watch.

Surprised to hear how naive they are defensively with someone like Kirk Broadfoot playing at the back.

You can play all the nice football in the world but some of the teams in that league are a bit agricultural to put it nicely and its always a struggle against those kind of teams when you try and play nicely

Fair play to them trying it out, nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

I watched the documentaries following their progress and I think Si Ferry isn’t particularly cut out for management. It seemed like as time went on, he was apologising to the team for getting his selection/tactics completely wrong most weeks.

If that happens as a one off, it might be powerful and build trust, but otherwise you just look incompetent and weak as a manager.

Though perhaps not uncommon in young managers, he seemed bi-polar in his demeanour as opposed to a stabilising influence in the chaos for the players to follow.

Whilst he was clearly keen to dispel the public perception of him being a banter merchant/piss taker by laying down the law over standards, inevitably I think that persona seeps into the consciousness of his squad. Particularly when he’s doing the pod casts in such a style.

If you combine these three aspects, it’s unlikely to work. Seems like a great guy and would be a good assistant/coach, like Ally McCoist.

Not to be unkind, but passing off Paul Slane as some sort of serious coaching influence is ridiculous. Derek Lyle has credentials in the game but appeared to be a background figure most of the time. To have any hope of that project succeeding, an older, seasoned assistant at that level was essential.

Last edited:
That would make sense.

They were clearly quite tight.

Kennedy will then apply for a league job and Ferry will get the Darvel gig.
With the run Darvel are currently on he’ll be lucky to keep that job never mind get a job at a senior club.

Last edited:
Fair play to them trying it out, nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

I watched the documentaries following their progress and I think Si Ferry isn’t particularly cut out for management. It seemed like as time went on, he was apologising to the team for getting his selection/tactics completely wrong most weeks.

If that happens as a one off, it might be powerful and build trust, but otherwise you just look incompetent and weak as a manager.

Though perhaps not uncommon in young managers, he seemed bi-polar in his demeanour as opposed to a stabilising influence in the chaos for the players to follow.

Whilst he was clearly been keen to dispel the public perception of him being a banter merchant/piss taker by laying down the law over standards, inevitably I think that persona seeps into the consciousness of his squad. Particularly when he’s doing the pod casts in such a style.

If you combine these three aspects, it’s unlikely to work. Seems like a great guy and would be a good assistant/coach, like Ally McCoist.

Not to be unkind, but passing off Paul Slane as some sort of serious coaching influence is ridiculous. Derek Lyle has credentials in the game but appeared to be a background figure most of the time. To have any hope of that project succeeding, an older, seasoned assistant at that level was essential.

I think the McCoist comparison is a decent one. Ferry signed a good few players who he has played with over the years and his personality seems to be the joker type who gets the dressing room going.

Difficult to try and transition from that to being the gaffer, espeically with players you've shared a dressing room with for years

Genuinely amazed anyone thought this would have any other outcome.
How can any player with serious ambition take Ferry seriously? It must be nigh on impossible to separate the “banter boy” from a manger that commands respect. Also sounded a bit of a job for the boys type affair and it’s easy to imagine cliques forming.

A lot of the players took on contracts there as it was a project and bought into it. Bet they are raging it’s all been scrapped now.

A lot of the players took on contracts there as it was a project and bought into it. Bet they are raging it’s all been scrapped now.

I’m guessing they took contracts because Broomhill were offering better wages than they would get anywhere else. Managers move on all the time so I don’t think this is any different to what most players will experience.

I think "snorting the line" is Ferry's main issue!

Watched them all. Was looking forward to seeing the game our young team turned them over, not even just to see them take a doing but wanted to see what sort of reaction it would get at HT and FT etc. A bit disappointing to see they didn't bother with it.

The good thing about these football documentaries, like 'All or Nothing' is that you see the ups and downs.

Watched them all. Was looking forward to seeing the game our young team turned them over, not even just to see them take a doing but wanted to see what sort of reaction it would get at HT and FT etc. A bit disappointing to see they didn't bother with it.

The good thing about these football documentaries, like 'All or Nothing' is that you see the ups and downs.
The game at Dumbarton should be on the next episode, if they bother to continue the documentary.

Back