Brown Brogues - Between the Lines

Daily Record Hotline was amusing..

Angry Liewell is short changing them again after January's raid on Dundee LOL

"The key for successful teams is always to strengthen while they’re on top but Celtic's latest signing target Moses Odubajo isn’t a name that is exciting fans.

The former Hull City right-back has been out of the game for two years due to a knee injury but has joined up with the Hoops in their pre-season camp in Austria.

But some Parkhead punters on the Hotline are looking for better quality to build on their double Treble success and see off the challenge from Steven Gerrard’s Rangers.

Pat Thompson, Parkhead, said: “
Celtic fans were on a high after the double Treble and the club are bringing them back down by handing a trial to a right back who hasn’t played a game in two years due to injury. It’s embarrassing.”

Jim McKay, Shettleston, said: “Celtic have just banked £8million from the sale of Stuart Armstrong and now we’re looking at an injury-prone right back on a free. It’s not good enough.”
And a mhank the other day said WE are rent a dud!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Surely an insider would know that the Daily Record hotline is written by folk that work at the Daily Record?

Sorry but that's not true. I had a number of comments printed a few years ago. That's not to say that they dont make up their own comments as well.

Daily Record Hotline was amusing..

Angry Liewell is short changing them again after January's raid on Dundee LOL

"The key for successful teams is always to strengthen while they’re on top but Celtic's latest signing target Moses Odubajo isn’t a name that is exciting fans.

The former Hull City right-back has been out of the game for two years due to a knee injury but has joined up with the Hoops in their pre-season camp in Austria.

But some Parkhead punters on the Hotline are looking for better quality to build on their double Treble success and see off the challenge from Steven Gerrard’s Rangers.

Pat Thompson, Parkhead, said: “
Celtic fans were on a high after the double Treble and the club are bringing them back down by handing a trial to a right back who hasn’t played a game in two years due to injury. It’s embarrassing.”

Jim McKay, Shettleston, said: “Celtic have just banked £8million from the sale of Stuart Armstrong and now we’re looking at an injury-prone right back on a free. It’s not good enough.”

Jim McKay, Shettlestone...indeed he is.

Sorry but that's not true. I had a number of comments printed a few years ago. That's not to say that they dont make up their own comments as well.

FFS. Sorry mate I always thought it was Kevin's making it up. Didn't think anyone was sad enough to phone up a newspaper and leave a football message on an answer phone.

Interesting post B.B.!

What are you thoughts on the other big story affecting Rangers yesterday around Gordon Neely? Why a media blackout of the start of the actual trial for Jim Torbett? As a layman, it easy for conspiracy theories to take shape due to the timing of the Rangers story....
Its a court order mate banning reporting.

looks like jim is another who missed maths at school.
Jim never paid attention in school
spend nine million ( allegedly )
recieve eight million (allegedly)
you are now one million short in the bank not eight million up
Dont be like jim children go to school.

Its geat they will have an older weaker team this season having spent one million (allegedly)to keep it the same.To the carpark Jim :D

looks like jim is another who missed maths at school.
Jim never paid attention in school
spend nine million ( allegedly )
recieve eight million (allegedly)
you are now one million short in the bank not eight million up
Dont be like jim children go to school

Its geat they will have an older weaker team this season having spent one million (allegedly)to keep it the same.To the carpark Jim :D

Jim obviously did not like history either, he must shudder when he reads about his clans very close links with William of Orange.

"Part 1. Sneaky Pete

Mr Liewell plays the PR game very well. It certainly has not gone un-noticed that Celtics last two transfer windows haven’t really worked out well, and there is no sign of the Champions League war chest. Last Summer they recruited a second tier German CB, who if he was Glaswegian would have great grand weans by now. Marvin Compper is truly turning in to Celtic’s Prodan. In January they bought a kid from St Mirren to loan them back, Charly Musonda who never got many minutes, and to Chelsea’s annoyance, so much so Chelsea cancelled the £2M loan deal and have told Celtic not to bother asking again for another player on loan. They also added a young Centre Back from Dundee, and one of their Keepers on loan. Congratulations on Celtic losing Chelsea with one of the largest available selection of Development players available, as well as Liverpool who are firmly in Camp Gerrard.

Not that I really care what they do, but here is the observation:

Every time Celtic do not intend on spending money, a story comes out about Dembele or Tierney going for mega bucks to a big Club. Nothing ever materialises, but Celtic get to make out the biggest bit of the business they have done in the window is held on to one of these two. Yesterday it was Tierney to Atletico, Today it is “Tierney I am flattered but I will be at Celtic for life” Yawn!. Celtic fans suddenly forget their Board are short changing them but yell “Tierney for life” and the dumb are happy.

In summary if you follow the current trend, the same PR is being used for intended lack of spend this summer, as it has when we outspent them last Summer when the Dembele £60M Stories were on the go, and January when we were hearing of Tierney to Arsenal."

Taken from my first post on creating this thread and maturing like a fine wine! Tims are so predictable.

Last edited:
Many of you who know me on here, or before from twitter will know I have spent over 20 years in Marketing and Public Relations. As such you learn tricks of trade, ways to divert from other issues going on etc. So I have started this new thread called “Between the Lines” in which I will point out things you may have missed, second meanings in what people may be saying as well as attempting to dispel any myths from the Press or Bloggers. So thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the first entry.

Part 1. Sneaky Pete

Mr Liewell plays the PR game very well. It certainly has not gone un-noticed that Celtics last two transfer windows haven’t really worked out well, and there is no sign of the Champions League war chest. Last Summer they recruited a second tier German CB, who if he was Glaswegian would have great grand weans by now. Marvin Compper is truly turning in to Celtic’s Prodan. In January they bought a kid from St Mirren to loan them back, Charly Musonda who never got many minutes, and to Chelsea’s annoyance, so much so Chelsea cancelled the £2M loan deal and have told Celtic not to bother asking again for another player on loan. They also added a young Centre Back from Dundee, and one of their Keepers on loan. Congratulations on Celtic losing Chelsea with one of the largest available selection of Development players available, as well as Liverpool who are firmly in Camp Gerrard.

Every time Celtic do not intend on spending money, a story comes out about Dembele or Tierney going for mega bucks to a big Club. Nothing ever materialises, but Celtic get to make out the biggest bit of the business they have done in the window is held on to one of these two. Yesterday it was Tierney to Atletico, Today it is “Tierney I am flattered but I will be at Celtic for life” Yawn!. Celtic fans suddenly forget their Board are short changing them but yell “Tierney for life” and the dumb are happy.

In summary if you follow the current trend, the same PR is being used for intended lack of spend this summer, as it has when we outspent them last Summer when the Dembele £60M Stories were on the go, and January when we were hearing of Tierney to Arsenal.

Part 2. Scouse House

Mark Allen made comments at the McGregor announcement yesterday, which are being quoted in some papers today Allen claims meticulous planning means some business may not be concluded until the transfer window closes August 31. I then wish to take you back to a recent Gerrard interview in Dubai, in which Gerrard said “I asked certain things of Liverpool, which gave me the confidence to take on this job”. Now Gerrard may be referring alone to the Coaching Team he is bringing with him. Reading between the lines, could Allen’s comments be referring to having to wait until a certain German gentleman has done his business in the window before Stevie G gets what he wants? Could we see the like of Solanke and/or Ings join on loan at the end of the window? We shall see.

Excellent thread , interesting to read and content well explained and easy to understand. Keep up the good work.

Celtic could only Beat a bunch of Austrian Plumbers and Joiners 1-0. SK Vodwartd. Every first Team player got minutes FS lol
I remember 1987 when we won the league under Souness. The bheasts last friendly before the 1987/88 season began was Celtic 1 Arsenal 5 at Torbett Towers. How I laughed !
They won the league/cup double that season. Don't look too much into friendlies.

I had a mentally challenged lady's front bottom as taxi driver a good few months ago...I know I know....Anyway he started on about Celtic having all this money, are buying that scum bag Mclean from West Brom, spending more on new lights than we have for players, the new Celtic hotel complex will be ready for end of summer (must be some rapid brickies lined up for the job!!!!) and Gerrard will never come up here. Wire couldn't be bent into the shape of this lady's front bottom and he fitted into the stereotypical Celtic fan mould perfectly.

"Part 1. Sneaky Pete

In summary if you follow the current trend, the same PR is being used for intended lack of spend this summer, as it has when we outspent them last Summer when the Dembele £60M Stories were on the go, and January when we were hearing of Tierney to Arsenal."

Taken from my first post on creating this thread and maturing like a fine wine! Tims are so predictable.
got to agree and there scummy supporters as thick as mince lapping it up which makes me happy

Did they actually get £8mil for Armstrong?
Doubt it.
To start off with, even if that was the transfer fee, it would probably include vat.
In all realism, I’d expect the headline figure to include taxes, signing on fee, agents fee and possibly even the players contract value.

I really want this lady's front bottom Rodgers to stay as he is in for a fukin showing up sooner rather or later

As they thick FENNIAN bastards really believe in his shite

We are coming and theses thick FENNIAN bastards are about to be put in a fukin corner for life

Well said mate.

Doubt it.
To start off with, even if that was the transfer fee, it would probably include vat.
In all realism, I’d expect the headline figure to include taxes, signing on fee, agents fee and possibly even the players contract value.

Good point.

There is always a difference between the 'top line' and the 'bottom line'. Celtic will have made money and probably never expected to make it on Armstrong. But there will be a big difference between what they say the fee is and what they actually net.

Hi All,

Last night could be frustrating at times, new Players getting to grips with their new Club and Team Mates. The 11 last night who started, compared to the 11 that will start the season will be significantly different again. When Gerrard took the job one of the first things he wanted to do was build from the back, he also wanted us to get the balance right and not be so gung-ho with our Wingbacks. Having been the side who scored the most goals in the League last year, his focus from the off was on the Defence with the addition of McGregor, Goldson, Katic and Flanagan. Now not because Gerrard thinks our frontline is honky dory, but with little time before this game crept up, and without panic buying in the window they concentrated on the area that needed immediate attention. Which worked, Bury a friendly or not, it is now 2 games where our defence has dealt with pretty much everything leaving our Goalie little to do. I am sure Gerrard will be disappointed not to have Coulibaly and Sadiq available. After all, like the defence they have been brought in to offer something different and add a central spine.

Allen, Scoulding and Gerrard continue their work behind the scenes to address the other issues, which clearly from last night was quality in the final third, and in particular service. He is also looking to add another CB, which may give him the option to go 3 at the back like the change he made with success with the Liverpool Under 18’s. For 3 years now Teams have come to Ibrox and play 5 -4 -1 camping in and hoping to hit on the break. It now looks like we have a CB pairing who will be able to deal with that threat of Teams sneaking a goal. Will we suffer as many Home defeats as last season? Absolutely not. But until we add more creative attacking elements, those losses will be converted to more draws than wins.

Gerrard seemed reluctant to dive in on forward players, I can only conclude it is because he is on to something more from Liverpool, and knows if he gets that he will need to be giving them a decent amount of game time. So by buying or loaning more than Sadiq or for example and Attacking Mid/Winger he would then have another issue to deal with, as he would be doing so to potentially then have to bench them to play what he really wants from Liverpool.

In conclusion, the plan appears to be, get by this round of qualifying as best we can, get Coulibaly and Sadiq up to speed for the next round along with anyone else he can get in now. While biding his time to get the greenlight to loan what Klopp is prepared to let go out on loan (end of the window, in time for League kick off). I also do not think Gerrard prefers the 4-3-3, we know from Goldson’s and Katic’s soundbites they have practiced a back 5, 4 and 3. I think he has kept the 4-3-3 to keep the familiarity for the front men who finished last season top scorers as not too implement to much of something in such a short space of time. I also get the feeling he knows he does not have all the personnel yet to change away to the system and formation that he really wants us to play.

Last night was a bit of a blessing in disguise, because what Gerrard got to see is what your hearts, Dundee’s and Kilmarnock’s come to Ibrox and try to do, and what reaction they get from the crowd when we struggle to breakdown stubborn lines. Still very confident, the final 11 come kick off for the season will be a far quicker, meatier and lethal machine.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Last night could be frustrating at times, new Players getting to grips with their new Club and Team Mates. The 11 last night who started, compared to the 11 that will start the season will be significantly different again. When Gerrard took the job one of the first things he wanted to was build from the back, he also wanted us to get the balance right and not be so gung-ho with our Wingbacks. Having been the side who scored the most goals in the League last year, his focus from the off was on the Defence with the addition of McGregor, Goldson, Katic and Flanagan. Now not because Gerrard thinks our frontline is honky dory, but with little time before this game crept up, and without panic buying in the window they concentrated on the area that needed immediate attention. Which worked, Bury a friendly or not, it is now 2 games where our defence has dealt with pretty much everything leaving our Goalie little to do. I am sure Gerrard will be disappointed not to have Coulibaly and Sadiq available. After all, like the defence they have been brought in to offer something different and add a central spine.

Allen, Scoulding and Gerrard continue their work behind the scenes to address the other issues, which clearly from last night was quality in the final third, and in particular service. He is also looking to add another CB, which may give him the option to go 3 at the back like the change he made with success with the Liverpool Under 18’s. For 3 years now Teams have come to Ibrox and play 5 -4 -1 camping in and hoping to hit on the break. It now looks like we have a CB pairing who will be able to deal with that threat of Teams sneaking a goal. Will we suffer as many Home defeats as last season? Absolutely not. But until we add more creative attacking elements, those loses will be converted to more draws than wins.

Gerrard seemed reluctant to dive in on forward players, I can only conclude it is because he is on to something more from Liverpool, and knows if he gets that he will need to be giving them a decent amount of game time. So by buying or loaning more than Sadiq or for example and Attacking Mid/Winger he would then have another issue to deal with, as he would be doing so to potentially then have to bench them to play what he really wants from Liverpool.

In conclusion, the plan appears to be, get by this round of qualifying as best we can, get Coulibaly and Sadiq up to speed for the next round along with anyone else he can get in now. While biding his time to get the greenlight to loan what Klopp is prepared to let go out on loan (end of the window, in time for League kick off). I also do not think Gerrard prefers the 4-3-3, we know from Goldson’s and Katic’s soundbites they have practiced a back 5, 4 and 3. I think he has kept the 4-3-3 to keep the familiarity for the front men who finished last season top scorers as not too implement to much of something in such a short space of time. I also get the feeling he knows he does not have all the personnel yet to change away to the system and formation that he really wants us to play.

Last night was a bit of a blessing in disguise, because what Gerrard got to see is what your hearts, Dundee’s and Kilmarnock’s come to Ibrox and try to do, and what reaction they get from the crowd when we struggle to breakdown stubborn lines. Still very confident, the final 11 come kick off for the season will be a far quicker, meatier and lethal machine.
Nice post BB.

Several of the other factors coming into play are simply the return of players from the WC and their subsequent stay or movement to other clubs playing a big part in addition to the general movement of the transfer market. Allen has already indicated player availability might mean waiting till right up to the end of the window.

Add to that we hopefully will need to wait up till end of evening 16th August to see if we have a guaranteed additional revenue stream to allow more expenditure and it's going to be a waiting game for a few weeks yet.

Logically (or hopefully, I'm not sure which), this might point to the highest caliber of players being the ones last to come in.

“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope”
-- Edmund Dantes - The Count of Monte Cristo

Nice post BB.

Several of the other factors coming into play are simply the return of players from the WC and their subsequent stay or movement to other clubs playing a big part in addition to the general movement of the transfer market. Allen has already indicated player availability might mean waiting till right up to the end of the window.

Add to that we hopefully will need to wait up till end of evening 16th August to see if we have a guaranteed additional revenue stream to allow more expenditure and it's going to be a waiting game for a few weeks yet.

Logically (or hopefully, I'm not sure which), this might point to the highest caliber of players being the ones last to come in.

“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope”
-- Edmund Dantes - The Count of Monte Cristo

You Cunning Linguist :D

Dearie Me. Have the Celtic PR Boys not learned after Tierney £25M nonsense. This is back

ajw39w.png

Last edited:
Tbf if you read it it says £40m for qualifying for the CL then sold for £20... which is about right

Aye except you don't get £40M for qaulifying

From UEFA webite

Share of TV and Sponsor in participation pot - Group stage - guaranteed minimum fixed payment of €12.7m each (£11.28M), to be boosted by bonus payments of €1.5m per win and €500,000 per draw in the group stage.

Considering they have won 1 game in 3 years at group stage, highly unlikely they will make anything near £40M. And £20M for Dembele, funny how despite their desperate attempts to inflate his value and market his sale no Club has so much as put in a bid enquired.

No wonder Sutton is bankrupt he clearly doesn't research financials. Liewell mouthiece, last week it was Tierney now Everton have walked away put off by their valuation they are talking up Dembele again. And so the cycle continues. 3rd window now the have talked up these two and their valuations have been laughed at by Clubs.

Back