Bruno Alves v Jordan Rossiter

I've said it before - it's too early for Haliday to be giving it the big reminiscing chat - leave that for when you are at least 15/20 years off the scene.

Let's say he wants to become a coach or something in next 5 years - whose going to sign for him knowing the stories will be out there in next few years.

I was a big fan of Halliday through his time with the club he had some great moments that felt like it was us all enjoying them but just the simple comments he now makes about players for us pisses me off. The rossiter was out for about "6 year" and when he did train comments are pish

I was a big fan of Halliday through his time with the club he had some great moments that felt like it was us all enjoying them but just the simple comments he now makes about players for us pisses me off. The rossiter was out for about "6 year" and when he did train comments are pish

It’s just a bit disrespectful as much as anything, and disrespectful to a lad who wanted to do well but just had horrendous luck with injuries.

He was rotten and he went down without a fight like the rest of them; the tantrums etc were just fan service as far as I’m concerned. Being one of us has bought him some serious leeway over the years, of course doing half decent in the early days of Gerrard meant people were willing to just pretend everything that came before never actually happened.

I thought Gerrard would see right through his “boss, boss” act but seemingly not.

In the Hampden game, he was jogging around the park with his thumbs in the air. You’d think he was having a Barry Ferguson in the 2002 Cup Final performance the way he reacted. Histrionics for the simpletons in the support who lap that shit up.

I like Halliday but what great moments? A semi final that we went onto lose the final

I like Halliday but what great moments? A semi final that we went onto lose the final

the goal at hibs the day being in the stand the celebration was my 1st thought

we were all there for the times but in my head it wasnt all shite had some great days and moments with mates and he felt like one of us out there

I understand some might not class it as that and the memories maybe are more towards success and trophies

the goal at hibs the day being in the stand the celebration was my 1st thought

we were all there for the times but in my head it wasnt all shite had some great days and moments with mates and he felt like one of us out there

I understand some might not class it as that and the memories maybe are more towards success and trophies
Aye that was good tbf as we actually looked like we were a football team again lol

I thought Gerrard would see right through his “boss, boss” act but seemingly not.

In the Hampden game, he was jogging around the park with his thumbs in the air. You’d think he was having a Barry Ferguson in the 2002 Cup Final performance the way he reacted. Histrionics for the simpletons in the support who lap that shit up.

Without defending Halliday's performance, Murty could've waited 4 minutes and made the change at HT. Instead he humiliated the player, hung him out to dry and gave that mob's support an open goal(pardon the pun) to take the piss out of him with absolute glee.

We were never coming back from 2-0. Just make the change at HT and get the game over with.

It was a cowardly act from a cowardly manager whose true colours were shown post match when he ran to the board to grass two players in to them. Halliday wasn't the only one who had a go when he was subbed that day. Candeias gave him a mouthful as well.

Without defending Halliday's performance, Murty could've waited 4 minutes and made the change at HT. Instead he humiliated the player, hung him out to dry and gave that mob's support an open goal(pardon the pun) to take the piss out of him with absolute glee.

We were never coming back from 2-0. Just make the change at HT and get the game over with.

It was a cowardly act from a cowardly manager whose true colours were shown post match when he ran to the board to grass two players in to them. Halliday wasn't the only one who had a go when he was subbed that day. Candeias gave him a mouthful as well.
I agree with all of this. Wait and don't humiliated him, they took as much joy in that sub as any goal as he's one of us.

I agree with all of this. Wait and don't humiliated him, they took as much joy in that sub as any goal as he's one of us.

They sure did. Halliday was shit, but then again he was out of position at LB. The idea that at 2-0 down THAT Rangers team was making a comeback by subbing Josh Windass on in the 41st minute is sheer fantasy.

I have absolutely no idea what Murty was playing at.

Yeah that was hilarious. Played at the highest level for years but shat it at the piggery. Was also seen with a protective boot on the following do to fly out and see his personal physiotherapist. Classic FF though.

You trying to tell me that a man who had played for top clubs in Greece, Turkey and Russia wasn't a total shitebag? The FF armchair psychologists are some of the best in the business. You must be jesting.

They sure did. Halliday was shit, but then again he was out of position at LB. The idea that at 2-0 down THAT Rangers team was making a comeback by subbing Josh Windass on in the 41st minute is sheer fantasy.

I have absolutely no idea what Murty was playing at.
I left that game thinking how could we be anymore gutless other than the 5-1 season before, fast forward to Parkhead and it was 5 going on 10, Alnwick keeping score down.

You're completely correct what Murty was thinking is a mystery shut up shop, as bad as it sounds and try keep it from an embarrassment. If upto me Murty wouldn't have been kept on in his previous role

Reactions: SDF
Don’t think Halliday says anything overly bad there to be honest. I do agree that OG is pretty pish in general, some of the interviews used to be good though.

They should drop Slaney, I can barely listen to it due to his vacuous rambling.

There is nothing wrong with an accent, but that podcast butchers the English language in a cacophony of inarticulate babbling.
It would be easier to unravel the bedlam from Mumbai Railway Station.
The very essence of a podcast is surely to be understood by those listening?

The three/four of them spend an hour shouting 'Listen' at each other and recycling the same Jim Jeffries patter every week before bursting into song.

I used to stick up for it a bit on here but can't be doing with it anymore.

I don't see the issue with what Halliday has said there?

Although I must say I find that open goal painful viewing at the best of times.
Bunch of neds with a microphone.
Halliday's above this crap and should chuck it before it come backs to haunt him.
And save the stories about fellow payers for when you're finished playing.

If alves was kept once gerrard came I genuinely think he’d of been a right important player, probably wouldn’t be with us now right enough but could of slid into a similar role as Defoe

The love Rossiter got for a guy who played about a dozen games in 5 years on a heavy heavy wage is madness.

Myself included, suppose he just comes across as an honest young man who would run through a brick wall or in his instance papered door frame so he wouldn’t get injured.
Maybe it’s because he came across like wanted to do it.
Desperately wanted to be a player for us.
Compare with a few others who took the hefty wage, enjoyed the adulation, but did very little in the latter part of their contract to justify it.
Played, or acted, like they didn’t want to be here.

“Aw they caps for Portugal n that but I jus never. Just in games he couldnae dae whit he usually diz.”

Or something like that. Good insight there. If they really were smashing into each other all the time you would have thought the manager would have stepped in. You don’t want that, particularly when one of them clearly needed protection from injuries.

Is there worse patter on FF than someone trying to take the piss out of Glaswegian slang by typing it out like this? It’s not even accurate.

If you can’t understand what he’s saying then I’m assuming you’ve never stepped into a working class pub before. The horror of a Govan lad talking excitedly with his mates.

I expected him to be getting tore into Alves going by some of the comments, yet it’s not even close to that. The constant need to be raging at basically everything really does get tiresome at times.

Don’t really see what Hallidays has done wrong there? Not any different from Ally telling the story of Souness and Durranty going at it in training etc
I think giving it a bit more breathing space is important, IE wait for your teammates to retire then start telling stories about them to your heart's content

In David Bates' first Old Firm game he replaced an injured Bruno Alves.

In David Bates' first old firm game, Bruno Alves was still playing his football in Italy.

Think the poster was talking about McCrorie's old firm debut. Couldn't comment on where Alves was the night before the game.

“Aw they caps for Portugal n that but I jus never. Just in games he couldnae dae whit he usually diz.”

Or something like that. Good insight there. If they really were smashing into each other all the time you would have thought the manager would have stepped in. You don’t want that, particularly when one of them clearly needed protection from injuries.
Problem is, the Manager was Murty. Who the %^*& would listen to him if he'd even be brave enough?

Is there worse patter on FF than someone trying to take the piss out of Glaswegian slang by typing it out like this? It’s not even accurate.

If you can’t understand what he’s saying then I’m assuming you’ve never stepped into a working class pub before. The horror of a Govan lad talking excitedly with his mates.

I expected him to be getting tore into Alves going by some of the comments, yet it’s not even close to that. The constant need to be raging at basically everything really does get tiresome at times.
Aye, people from Glasgow posting the linmy picture to take piss out of literally any other Scottish accent.

It’s not patter it’s a quote. I can’t believe anyone would actually be paid for saying it. He’s not sitting in a pub with his pals he’s working in the media. I’d also be surprised if it’s true. Allowing Alves to kick lumps out of Rossiter every session when he was struggling badly to stay fit? The thought of Rossiter repeatedly and deliberately smashing into Alves full stop!

I really, really disliked Alves, players like him are the worst signings we make, only ever looked like someone who was here for a wage, horrendous habit of missing OF games, a massive no for me when it comes to Bruno.

Rossiter was so close to be being a modern KT for us, he would have been so well suited to our support if his body had let him.

I enjoy Open Goal find Halliday quite funny personally, no issue with him having digs at sides from the Murty and Pedo era even if he was in them most of it is just inoffensive stuff with little harm meant by it, players rib each other all the time.

The best thing that you can say about halliday is that the fans came up with a catchy song for him.

A massively average at best footballer who only got to play for us because of the journey up.

Will struggle to remember him playing for us in 10 or 15 years.

It’s not patter it’s a quote. I can’t believe anyone would actually be paid for saying it. He’s not sitting in a pub with his pals he’s working in the media.

Not all media these days has to be high browed and spoken in traditionally perfect English, they aren't hosting the news. The general theme of the show is one of mates down the pub, they literally have shows called "a pint with" it is little different to Soccer AM or Fantasy Football league. The template of shows like this has gone on for years.

The majority of guests on it simply speak as they would down a pub, including the likes of McCoist.

Yeah that was hilarious. Played at the highest level for years but shat it at the piggery. Was also seen with a protective boot on the following do to fly out and see his personal physiotherapist. Classic FF though.
Shat it at Celtic Park according to some on here.
It wasn’t just on here! At the game itself he was getting absolute pelters as he walked past our support.

He’d been struggling in the game, looked like he could barely move so wasn’t surprised when he pulled up and it looked a bad one.

Halliday is hamming it up to his target audience these days.

I'm glad I'm not part of his target audience.

I’m rapidly going off Halliday. Is he genuinely being snarky about Bruno Alves?

Yes, that’s Bruno Alves.

As for the needless sarcasm about Rossiter’s injuries? Twattish behaviour.
It might be unpopular but I can't stand Halliday and I hate everytime he opens his mouth.

Last edited:
It’s not patter it’s a quote. I can’t believe anyone would actually be paid for saying it. He’s not sitting in a pub with his pals he’s working in the media. I’d also be surprised if it’s true. Allowing Alves to kick lumps out of Rossiter every session when he was struggling badly to stay fit? The thought of Rossiter repeatedly and deliberately smashing into Alves full stop!

It's Open Goal, not Newsnight. The show's entire USP is that it's loose and tongue-in-cheek.

Alves is, by all accounts, an absolute nutcase, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a physical trainer.

100% spot on. Murty is a wetwipe.

Halliday talks a lot of pish though. He started off well on snyde but has slowly reverted to ex Rangers player in the meeja type.

Halliday has always been a woeful footballer and a bit of a ned.

I'm not sure there was ever that much to go 'off' from.
Don't know him as a person but woeful footballer he was not.

He had his level like all do but he wasn't shite and never gave less than 100%. He was superb when we beat the tramps on penalties at Hampden.

Don't know him as a person but woeful footballer he was not.

He had his level like all do but he wasn't shite and never gave less than 100%. He was superb when we beat the tramps on penalties at Hampden.

He was also excellent in the Final, one of the few trying to drag the arse of that failing team over the line, as he was when we beat them at Ibrox when Jack scored, as he was away to Maribor

Halliday was a player signed under freedom of contract from Bradford when we were in the Championship. He more than served his purpose for us.

In reality he was a holding player to get us out the Championship at best, it was the constant failures of others that played a decent part in his selection after that, he should have ben upgraded, others failed, he kept plugging away and making the best of his limitations.

By the time Celtic were running riot against us the issues in our club went far, far deeper than Andy Halliday.

And yes, I agree re the analysis of Murty and taking Halliday off, Halliday didn't play to the crowd that day, he was emotional and cared about the team he played for and the humiliations an incompetent arse of a manager had imposed on him, it was embarrassing from Murty. The reaction from Halliday and fallout from the game only served to highlight a deep running frustration and anger with Murty and our situation at the time which clearly all came to ahead that day and started with that change.

The reaction and anger from Halliday that day only mirrored how the majority in the stands felt.

Last edited:
He was also excellent in the Final, one of the few trying to drag the arse of that failing team over the line, as he was when we beat them at Ibrox when Jack scored, as he was away to Maribor

Halliday was a player signed under freedom of contract from Bradford when we were in the Championship. He more than served his purpose for us.

In reality he was a holding player to get us out the Championship at best, it was the constant failures of others that played a decent part in his selection after that, he should have ben upgraded, others failed, he kept plugging away and making the best of his limitations.

By the time Celtic were running riot against us the issues in our club went far, far deeper than Andy Halliday.

And yes, I agree re the analysis of Murty and taking Halliday off, Halliday didn't play to the crowd that day, he was emotional and cared about the team he played for and the humiliations an incompetent arse of a manager had imposed on him, it was embarrassing from Murty. The reaction from Halliday and fallout from the game only served to highlight a deep running frustration and anger with Murty and our situation at the time which clearly all came to ahead that day and started with that change.

The reaction and anger from Halliday that day only mirrored how the majority in the stands felt.
Gerrard full of praise for him as well with his contribution off the field and within the dressing room labelling him his unofficial captain. He lived the dream that all of us wanted to do as young kids growing up and contributed to get us back to where we are now and for that he will always get my support.

It's fine to disagree with what he says no idea why people have to go over the top with it.

Back