BT HDR for Champions League Final

mkgers

Just heard Gary linekar say bt are broadcasting the final in HDR. Does anyone know if this will just be on the 4k channel or if i have to do anything else? Cheers

What is HD HDR?

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and is the next big step forward for BT Sport following 4K UHD. Put simply, HDR will provide the highest quality TV pictures ever seen.

While 4K UHD provides stunning ultra-high definition with more pixels than ever before, HDR provides the same but with even ‘better pixels’.

Higher contrast between light and dark, more vivid colours and brighter images on screen are offered with HDR, which means an overall enhanced viewing experience.

Like an HDR camera, HDR resolution will produce images that have a greater contrast between light and dark. But unlike a HDR camera, it will not need to combine several separate photos.

Instead HDR provides a truer rendering of colour using better camera technology to capture the footage in the first place.

In a standard display, everything below a certain brightness is the same shade of black. In HDR TV, the display range is broader, meaning that you can tell the difference between those different shades of black.

It preserves the finest details in the darkest and brightest areas of a picture and creates colours that are closer to how we see them in real life.

And it’s also great news for fans of watching TV on a mobile device. HDR is a perfect fit because it delivers an improved viewing experience even on smaller screens – while 4K truly requires large screens to tell the difference.

Jamie Hindhaugh, BT Sport's chief operating officer, said: “BT Sport continues to offer our customers unrivalled choice, with the best content, the smartest devices and the latest technology, through partnerships with the world’s most innovative companies.

“The launch of HDR maintains BT Sport’s leadership in bringing fans the very best pictures and sound following its debut as Europe’s first 4K broadcaster in 2015 and its worldwide debut of Dolby Atmos sound in 2017.”

Thanks for the advice lads. Just downloaded the bt sport app onto my TV and got the HDR up and running :cool:

Watching on virgin 4k channel seems good enough what channel is hdr on for comparison?

Watching on virgin 4k channel seems good enough what channel is hdr on for comparison?
I downloaded the bt sport onto my Samsung TV and then it has the option of an HDR channel. Not sure about the other methods though. Tbh I can't notice a great deal of difference but I've had a few Glenn hoddles already

Watched a bit there on YouTube in 4k (Xperia XZ Premium) , the quality is unbelievable, could see individual beads of sweat on the players in some shots.

Go onto apps then search for bt sport and download it mate. Then the option is in the app
Tried that and logged in and when i selected the game it didn't have an HDR logo. I'll have a look at half time for it

Will that be on LG too mate, will give a bash at half time if so
I'm not sure mate I was just going off what others have mentioned in here. There's a link on the thread with instructions I think.
Tried that and logged in and when i selected the game it didn't have an HDR logo. I'll have a look at half time for it
That's exactly what I did. Before I logged in I only had the option of HD but once I logged in the home screen said watch in HDR. Maybe try logging in and out again

I gave up with the 4K YouTube stream on my Bravia tv. Picture kept breaking up and quality dropping out. Pretty certain it’s not my end as I’ve got 60meg fibre broadband.

Have swapped to the app on my phone and casting it to the tv and the picture is much better now HD and HDR, as opposed to the 4K stream.

I've switched between 4k and hdr a few times there is a clear difference. 4k is a lot brighter but HDR looks far more natural. Not sure that the actual sharpness is as crisp on HDR though

LG TVs dont have the BT app available, only Samsung

A lot of tvs have the youtube app nowadays ..

edit: im an idiot and didn't read the thread, ive got a samsung tv too, the glitching has calmed down a bit for the 2nd half. Good quality
No one has posted a link though?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've switched between 4k and hdr a few times there is a clear difference. 4k is a lot brighter but HDR looks far more natural. Not sure that the actual sharpness is as crisp on HDR though
Given a choice of one or other, I’d take hdr over 4K every day of the week.
You’re spot on.. it’s not as sharp but the colours looks better.

Given a choice of one or other, I’d take hdr over 4K every day of the week.
You’re spot on.. it’s not as sharp but the colours looks better.
I think I'd be that way inclined too. I thought 4k was great but the grass looks neon green when you compare to HDR. Seems there's going to be a lot more games in HDR next season.

Bear in mind unless you have a RIDICULOUSLY large TV (or sit ridiculously close to your TV) then humans with regular eyesight won't tell the difference between 4K and HD.

Back