BT Sport 2 on Sunday at 7pm - Rangers' Euro Nights

That's a good shout. We seem to always do well against the Portugese. Mind you apart from 2004, there hasn't been an exceptional Portugese team that I can remember. They have had good sides but not the top tier.
Agreed, even then 04 seemed a bit of an odd year. With all due respect Monaco and Porto weren’t legendary sides, we had 4 former players playing that night. The galactico project was failing, barca in transition and a couple of other teams rebuilding. Milan should have dominated that era and very nearly did. All in my opinion of course but other than Deco, Pepe and Paulo Ferreira I cant really think of anyone from that Porto team being top class.

Highlights of four matches back to back:

Rangers v PSV 1999/2000
Lyon v Rangers 2007/2008
Leeds United v Rangers 1992/1993
Rangers v Porto 2005/2006
Was at 3 out the 4 games. Had forgot how much we dominated PSV. Could easily have been 6 or 7

Rodriguez just followed the man into the net not even looking at the ball for 2-2

comical defending and really wound me up at the time

was just texting my mate about that. I was livid that night and it still annoyed me watching it back there. F*ckin turn round!!

I imagine of decent European leagues our best success has came against the Portuguese. Can’t think of us losing to any of them and beating them all. Porto, Lisbon, maritimo, braga and boavista.
Think one of the first euro games I was ever at in the early 80s was against Porto and we won 1-0 at Ibrox but went out 2-1 on aggregate.

Don't recall us losing to a Portuguese team since then. That said my memory is appalling these days.

Think one of the first euro games I was ever at in the early 80s was against Porto and we won 1-0 at Ibrox but went out 2-1 on aggregate.

Don't recall us losing to a Portuguese team since then. That said my memory is appalling these days.
That was the only one that came to mind but even then I wasn’t sure we had been beaten. Cheers :)

Think it was 2-1 at Ibrox. I have a feeling I'm suppressing a Peter McCloy "moment" that I was getting treatment for PTSD after

When I watch these games again, and lots of other of our domestic games from the 90s etc. which have been shown recently, it is really noticeable that, excellent teams though we had, we were never afraid to mix it up sometimes and hit long balls and play for the second ball etc. Nor were we afraid to mix it up physically in the middle of the park. I guess the game has moved on a bit but I do wonder whether we are a bit one dimensional nowadays. Maybe the possession based football we play nowadays under Gerrard is why we have done so well in Europe. But I have held the view for a while now that, particularly away from home in the SPL, and all the more so on the plastic pitches, there is a case for playing a bit less pretty, square ball type football and instead play a bit more aggressive, physical, get the ball forward early and often type football.

When I watch these games again, and lots of other of our domestic games from the 90s etc. which have been shown recently, it is really noticeable that, excellent teams though we had, we were never afraid to mix it up sometimes and hit long balls and play for the second ball etc. Nor were we afraid to mix it up physically in the middle of the park. I guess the game has moved on a bit but I do wonder whether we are a bit one dimensional nowadays. Maybe the possession based football we play nowadays under Gerrard is why we have done so well in Europe. But I have held the view for a while now that, particularly away from home in the SPL, and all the more so on the plastic pitches, there is a case for playing a bit less pretty, square ball type football and instead play a bit more aggressive, physical, get the ball forward early and often type football.
When you see our line up compared to that Lyon team,you wouldn't say that was a best
eleven. I think we've had better teams than that and lost,so clearly it's down to players attitudes today. What I'd give to see us battle the way we did back then. Big Eck didn't have great teams,yet he got us to the last 16 in the CL.

Loved re watching them especially the Leeds match in better quality than usual. The intensity of that match is something to behold and is the type of match I love but you never see any more ( maybe I’m old and cynical).

Agreed, even then 04 seemed a bit of an odd year. With all due respect Monaco and Porto weren’t legendary sides, we had 4 former players playing that night. The galactico project was failing, barca in transition and a couple of other teams rebuilding. Milan should have dominated that era and very nearly did. All in my opinion of course but other than Deco, Pepe and Paulo Ferreira I cant really think of anyone from that Porto team being top class.

that's the season when Milan were 4-1 up from the first leg against Deportivo and then they beat them 4-0 in the return wasn't it?

they had a great team at that point did Deportivo :cool:

that's the season when Milan were 4-1 up from the first leg against Deportivo and then they beat them 4-0 in the return wasn't it?

they had a great team at that point did Deportivo :cool:
I honestly don't remember that Tie , more evidence for a bizarre season. Deportivo getting beat 8-3 by Monaco then winning 5-4 against Milan on AGG :)

PSV game was amazing. They had a good team that year, Nilis, van nistelrooy, van bommel etc, how we beat them 4-1 I'll never know, had a good team that year and were unlucky not to qualify

Missed this due to nightshift, can't find a repeat among the 100s of other repeats currently shown on bt sport

Back