BT Sport - Count The Negatives Describing Alfie

Also included in the same article are positives like prolific, adoring Rangers supporters, all-action, unplayable and top scorer.
Some people go out of their way to be offended it seems.

No, I didn't.

From a story regarding Alfie and getting his 10th goal in Europe this season, I listed 7 negatives.

You have countered with 5 positives.

Proof that it's in the main, a negative story.

The Gers' hot-headed marksman has cleaned up his act and has nine Europa League goals to his name already, but can he resist master wind-up merchant Pepe's antics to focus on bagging his tenth?

Thursday’s crunch Europa League clash between Porto and Rangers pits two of the competition’s most storied clubs together in what promises to be a fiercely contested encounter on the Iberian Peninsula.

At the heart of the battle, which will be shown exclusively live on BT Sport, an unmissable personal duel is set to take hold between two of the most combustible players in Europe in Rangers’ star striker Alfredo Morelos and Porto’s legendary centre-back Pepe.

Morelos, a Colombia team-mate of Porto midfielders Luis Díaz and Mateus Uribe, was the top scorer in this season’s Europa League qualifying phase with eight goals and has already scored in the group stage against Young Boys.

The prolific 23-year-old, dubbed El Bufalo by adoring Rangers’ supporters, has taken the Scottish Premiership by storm since a £1m transfer from Finnish club HJK Helsinki in June 2017.

Goalscoring exploits aside, Morelos’ spell at Ibrox has been marred by disciplinary issues.

The all-action marksman, who treads a fine line between unplayable and unpalatable, was dismissed a remarkable five times last season (although one was retrospectively rescinded).

Speaking after he was given his marching orders for elbowing Celtic captain Scott Brown in the face in an off-the-ball incident in the Old Firm derby, Rangers boss Steven Gerrard appeared to run out of excuses for his star striker. “I’ve gone above and beyond – I've backed Alfredo more than enough and I can’t defend him anymore,” he said.

Despite then serving a four-match suspension, Morelos finished as the top scorer in the Scottish Premiership with 18 goals.

With able deputy Jermain Defoe waiting in the wings, there was a school of thought that the tempestuous hitman was incapable of channelling his aggression and that his antics were wearing thin with the Rangers hierarchy.

Morelos may have been the main culprit but the Gers received 12 red cards in total last season, prompting a change in the club’s internal handling of disciplinary issues.

Since then, he has only received four yellows in 19 matches this season and has yet to be sent off, repaying Gerrard’s decision to persist with him.

However, the biggest test of his new-found restraint will surely come against Porto when he faces off against veteran defender Pepe.

The wily former Real Madrid star, now 36, has won three Champions League trophies, five domestic titles and the 2016 European Championship with Portugal during an impressive 17-year career at the top level.

Yet for all those accolades, his reputation as one of football’s most notorious pantomime villains, a veritable master of the defensive dark arts, continues to precede him.

The most notable item on a long rap sheet is the ten-match ban he received for kicking Javi Casquero and then raking his studs down his back after conceding a penalty for a foul on the Getafe star during a La Liga clash in April 2009.

Pepe, who also slapped Juan Albin shortly afterwards for good measure, was seen shouting “You’re all sons of bitches!” as he took his leave from the pitch following the inevitable red card.

His worst excesses were on display most consistently in a succession of titanic el clásico tussles with Barcelona, with a malevolent stamp on Lionel Messi’s hand in 2012 standing out as the nadir.

Then there was his farcical all-round display of gamesmanship and play-acting in the 2016 Champions League final, which Real eventually won on penalties against bitter rivals Atletico Madrid.
Pepe’s antics in the San Siro showpiece famously drew a pair of exasperated tweets from BT Sport’s very own Gary Lineker that quickly went viral.

They also made an instant internet meme out of Mark Clattenburg’s ‘disapproving parent’ face (and tongue) after one embarrassingly transparent attempt to con the English referee following a clash with Yannick Carrasco.

Yet while his ability to drive opposition strikers to distraction is beyond question, a career record showing just six red cards in more than 550 appearances for club and country suggests he’s also a dab hand at avoiding being caught in the act.

It all makes for a tantalising night at Estádio do Dragão as Pepe looks to crawl under Morelos’ skin and light the fuse that has, for the most part, been concealed so far this season.

Even Gerrard admitted in the build-up that he understands the appeal of the prospective duel.
“Listen, if Alfredo is selected to play it will be a fascinating battle,” Gerrard said.

“Pepe has been a world-class player throughout his career, a very decorated individual who I have a lot of respect and admiration for.

“But Alfredo is in a good place, he is playing well, he is in good form and I’m sure he will be itching to start. I’m sure he will be looking forward to testing himself against the best.

“There will be a lot of really intriguing key battles across the pitch but I’m sure all eyes will be on that one.”

Rangers’ meeting with the two-time European champions, who reached last year’s Champions League quarter-finals, is arguably the club’s most important continental assignment since their barnstorming run to the UEFA Cup final in 2008.

But it also carries an extra layer of significance for Pepe, who remembers suffering at the hands of the Glaswegians during his first spell at Porto.

He scored twice in a pulsating Champions League group-stage clash at Ibrox in 2005 but still ended up on the losing side as Sotirios Kyrgiakos’ late goal gave the hosts all three points.

Ross McCormack’s leveller in the return meeting in Portugal then earnt Rangers a vital 1-1 draw that helped them advance to the last 16 at Porto’s expense.

Fourteen years on and with Rangers, Porto, Feyenoord and Young Boys all locked together on three points after two games in Europa League Group G, Pepe is desperate to get his own back on the Scottish giants.

“I have played against Rangers before and they’re never an easy rival,” he told the Daily Record.

“I remember the matches in 2005. I scored two goals in Scotland but still suffered a defeat.

“Now, I have the chance to change that and I’d accept a win, without a goal for myself!
“It will be an intense match and I think we’ll need to show patience.”

Morelos will need to show plenty of patience, too, if Pepe is up to his usual tricks.

Whether he can ignore the physical and psychological bait and focus instead on notching a remarkable tenth goal in Europe already this season remains to be seen.

But one thing’s for sure: an unmissable box-office battle – one that could explode at any moment - is in store on Thursday night, so strap in and enjoy the ride.

The Gers' hot-headed marksman has cleaned up his act and has nine Europa League goals to his name already, but can he resist master wind-up merchant Pepe's antics to focus on bagging his tenth?

The Gers reformed marksman has 9 goals....

Can be worded better, no?

Not the worst article to be honest. What is written isn't exactly wide of the mark. It's easy to pick out negative words from a long article and say it's a disgrace.

This all day long. Some people just seem to go out their way to look for offence at everything

No problem with that article at all. It’s highlighting a likely clash between 2 players who both have previous form for being a tad “emotional”. It mentions Morelos’ lamentable disciplinary record from last season but also his vast improvement this season. Fair, balanced and impartial unlike their commentary is likely to be this evening.

When he speaks abt Alfie, he talks about what was and what's now. He was all those things last season, he has well cleaned up his act

If you want to find fault, you will.

To me it's a decent enough article and is night and day from the Scottish based media.

The thing is, I didn't set out to find fault.

On reaching the end of it, I went back and counted the shit words/terms as it left a low vibe with me.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have put it out there for discussion, would've added it to the Alfie/Pepe thread.

It says he elbowed Scott Brown in the face.

Are we still saying the article is fine?

It's far from fine but some won't see it, clearly haven't.

Alfie should be able to Rag Doll Pepe all night long. He's 13 years younger and fitter plus Pepe is a fcking Pussy and Shite Bag.

Will be very interesting to see albiet if I end up the same nick as last night I won't see much of it :D.

Threads like this are a wee bit embarrassing tbh.

People actively go and read news sites to look for something they can complain about.

There is much more to life than this.

As you haven't read the full thread, see post 20.

If your embarrassed by it, do what I would do and stay out the thread.

As you haven't read the full thread, see post 20.

If your embarrassed by it, do what I would do and stay out the thread.
The fact that it had more negative adjectives than positive adjectives doesn't prove anything other than counting them is a terrible waste of time when it's actually quite a nice day outside.

The fact that it had more negative adjectives than positive adjectives doesn't prove anything other than counting them is a terrible waste of time when it's actually quite a nice day outside.

Lets not highlight negative articles about our main asset?

Why are you wasting such a lovely day posting in a thread that has embarrassed you by your own admission?

You didn't make any sense regarding Firhills locale yesterday either.

No, I didn't.

From a story regarding Alfie and getting his 10th goal in Europe this season, I listed 7 negatives.

People see what they want to see.
To me it’s a decent article. All the negatives you listed are referring to last season and the positives are this season so I take it in the more positive light.

People see what they want to see.
To me it’s a decent article. All the negatives you listed are referring to last season and the positives are this season so I take it in the more positive light.

It says he elbowed Scott Brown in the face.

Are we still saying the article is fine?

What about the negative mentioned here by this fellow poster, decent? 8 minuses, 5 positives acceptable?

You are indeed seeing what you want to see or just stubborn.

I kind of enjoy his constant negative press. He's been as good as gold so far this season and his goal tally and low punishment record is outstanding. The fact they can't praise a player that has cleaned up his disciplinary act is laughable, desperate to slander the club, fans and players it just seems so desperate.

What about the negative mentioned here by this fellow poster, decent? 8 minuses, 5 positives acceptable?

You are indeed seeing what you want to see or just stubborn.
But he was red carded for elbowing Scott Brown. Whether the referee made the right call is a different matter altogether.
Enjoy your night mate.

I can't say I'm offended or even slightly surprised at this-
But equally I can't help thinking if Alfie was playing for almost anyone else - it would read much more positively

I only hope Alfie continues in the same vein for the rest of his Gers career (for as long as possible ) & if he does leave for pastures new - it's at the top flight as a top class player - making these type of articles totally ridiculous

Right now - these excuses for journalists can't help themselves & I hope Alfie rams it home by scoring barrell loads at will - to shut the wankers up

Be no negatives when he rag dolls the multiple Champions League Winner and European Championship winner like Gerrard does with our scum media

In no way defending Christie but over what period were his red cards shown to him?

Does it matter ? Alfie is demonised and depicted as a thug, while another player with the same amount of red cards is portrayed as acting out of character after a straight red at Livi.

No, I didn't.

Are you actually posting that story up as a negative and unhappy about it? The over-riding feeling I got coming out after reading that article was that it was a decent article and was positive on Alfie.

Are you actually posting that story up as a negative and unhappy about it? The over-riding feeling I got coming out after reading that article was that it was a decent article and was positive on Alfie.

Yes, it's negative.

When describing our prize asset, 62% of it has him in the negative.

That is a predominantly bad article for me, not for many others it seems.

Alfie is awesome and is the best striker we've had in years so who really cares what the other folk think of him.

In no way defending Christie but over what period were his red cards shown to him?
Looks like 1st red in Oct 14th 2014.

Last one October this year.

5 year period.
Does it matter ? Alfie is demonised and depicted as a thug, while another player with the same amount of red cards is portrayed as acting out of character after a straight red at Livi.
The issue with Morelos is that his red cards were in the same season - whether all right or wrong is another argument.

A player averaging a red card a season is not the same has having 4 in the same season (still higher than the norm I'd suspect). And for the avoidance of doubt I'm not claiming the treatment of Morelos is correct but you are not comparing like for like.

The thing that get's me - & I'm not talking offended - as per my previous post - & I can agree this article is not as bad as some already written - but most articles concerning Alfie are negative -
& I can't help thinking that all the stuff about Alfie's discipline wouldn't be quite as emphatic, if Alfie played for anyone else

It makes me wonder if he'll ever be known for his skill & ability or instead as a player who had the audacity to react against card happy refs in this hammer-throwing backwater

Alfie is not a dirty player like Pepe is - he's not committed one hammer-throwing act - but has naively retaliated to cheating bastards while a complicit set of untrustworthy officials have taken enormous delight in punishing him excessively - with a backdrop of a pathetic media who have lapped up every morsel of negativity they could clutch at

This article - while maybe not being the worst of it's type - still nevertheless is predominately about disciplinary & negative aspects rather than actually recognising or praising his obvious talents

Back