BT Sport - Managers Match Reaction

Saying that it proves we can compete at this level, i think tonight proved we can't. We have too many inconsistencies in our side. The only player who is consistently at this level is McGregor. We lose too many silly goals and give away chances that are not punished at SPFL level. Always thought the goals against stats meant nothing.

Saying that it proves we can compete at this level, i think tonight proved we can't. We have too many inconsistencies in our side. The only player who is consistently at this level is McGregor. We lose too many silly goals and give away chances that are not punished at SPFL level. Always thought the goals against stats meant nothing.

Our dreadful goals against record in Europe shows two things
1.we do not have a good defence and
2. our excellent defensive record in SPFL last season is down to the dreadful finishing of domestic opponents.

Think he’s trying to be upbeat but I can understand that. It was a stroll for Lyon.

We’ve previously been able to raise our levels in Europe but we can’t seem to do that currently.

Plus, we concede way too many goals from distance in Europe. It’s a persistent failing.

I'm sorry but he's absolutely at it. We created very little and Lyon never got out of 2nd gear. We were poor, call the players out for that.

I mostly agree with his assessment here. Today was two mistakes being exploited ruthlessly in key moments in a 50/50 game with few chances being created by either side.

Against other teams we get away with the first mistake because they generally don't have the individual quality to nick the ball, take two/three players out of the game and finish that opportunity from that far out. Against other teams, the keeper doesn't get to Kent's strike and we even the score/take the lead.

Lyon do, though. Lyon did, though.

What must be mentioned is the second goal. Poor.

We turn the ball over just outside our box, McGregor makes a good save, nobody clears, ball gets hit in again and the panicked clearance rebounds off Tav and into the net. Poor all around aside from McGregor's save.

People might disagree with the overview by the manager, but we did our standard "grind them into nothing and be clinical" approach in Europe and it took an absolute worldie and a defensive brain-melt to break through us. Personally, I don't think it was a poor performance. A poor result, but it was nowhere near the desperate performances we saw against Malmo and Alashkert.

With all due respect Stevie that’s a pile of poo.

We didn’t show we can compete at this level.

There was not a narrow gap between the teams, there was a gulf.

And banging on about high standards doesn’t sit well when you play two or three players that have hardly kicked a ball this season.

we hit the post and their keeper had a great save from Kent, 1st strike was out the top drawer and their second was an unfortunate rebound, we were unlucky at times, and poor at other times, Kent has struggled since the start of the season, tonight he loses possesion twice and they get two goals. On another night it stays 0-0 or we sneak one. Lyon were always going to be tough opponents, we have to beat the others and aim for second place. Its changed days at Ibrox now, losing tonight upsets us whereas a number of years ago, with Albertz, Laudrup, Gazza etc we expected to lose games like this.

With all due respect Stevie that’s a pile of poo.

We didn’t show we can compete at this level.

There was not a narrow gap between the teams, there was a gulf.

And banging on about high standards doesn’t sit well when you play two or three players that have hardly kicked a ball this season.
With no respect.

How many shots did McGregor make. must have been 20 or was it 30?

If it was an easy game for them why were they falling over at every opportunity? If it was that easy they would have scored a couple more.

Their first goal is sensational - we simply don’t have that quality at this level. The second goal is a disaster/unlucky. On another night Lundstrum or Kent’s efforts go in and it‘s a different game. We (crowd and team) just didn’t get lift-off tonight. Worth remembering they’re worth tens of millions more than us. Bit of perspective required.

With no respect.

If it was an easy game for them why were they falling over at every opportunity? If it was that easy they would have scored a couple more.
If you don’t think they won that game comfortably, I suggest you go back and have another look.

Was weird - need to see the game on TV but I came away thinking we didn’t do too badly- 2 mistakes cost us.
Just back home from the game and I totally agree with you, will watch it and perhaps reassess my opinion but as it stands at the moment, I'm not sure what the hysteria is all about on here tonight.

Was weird - need to see the game on TV but I came away thinking we didn’t do too badly- 2 mistakes cost us.

They controlled most of the game and looked pretty comfortable for large parts, however in terms of actual chances it was very evenly matched. Tav's free kick was almost a worldie.

Losing the ball in cheap areas has killed us (again).

I think he is kidding himself tbh.

Far be it for me to question Gerrard who has seen and done it all in Europe as a player an manager, but to say that score line flattered them is the stuff of fantasy.

Screenshot-2021-09-17-at-01-16-43.png

SG was correct though, nothing between the sides bar two individual mistakes.

Considering how off the boil we are atm, I think we did not bad at all. So in that regard I agree with him. The thing that concerns me is Gerrard not making changes when people are looking so far off it.

Wright was a breath of fresh air when he came on & has been every time he has. Otoh Kent's been toiling since the start of the season, what needs to happen for Wright to get a run? There were other folks not at the races today (Aribo, Davis etc.) so I'm not pinning it all on him but Kent was, & has been, the stand out underperformer this season. SG needs to be more pro-active with our squad instead of waiting until it's too late.

With no respect.

The difference in quality of link up play between the sides was massive I thought.

Hes looking at the upside but hes experienced and smart enough to know the game got away from us a little bit and if we are going to get better results in games such as last night there needs to be improvements.

An honest while being optimist take which is what we always see from him. Be thankful for that as a lot of Coaches will just make excuses and try to kid everyone on.

Again some so called fans seem only too prepared to have a go at Rangers whilst praising the opposition to the extreme (abject, strolled it etc)
Lyon are a team that less that 2years ago put Man City out of CL 1/4 Final.
Tonight a wonder goal after Kent gifted possession massively changed the game.
Does strolling it mean Lyon kicking the ball out of play severally times before going ahead.
Does strolling it mean Rangers having 2 real chances to score with their keeper making to excellent saves
Does strolling it mean Kent gifting possession again for them to go 1 up with an own goal that really was bad luck

Listen & watch BT highlights where Owen Hargreavea gives a more balanced review of the game.

Small margins in this game changed the outcome, can we do better, of course we can. Did they stroll it, far from it. We're Rangers abject, never.

They had 3 or 4 lighting quick players who upon going 1 up were able to take advantage of that.

I'm sorry but he's absolutely at it. We created very little and Lyon never got out of 2nd gear. We were poor, call the players out for that.
Good shout. He should have chucked the lads under a bus. Standards an that.

I agree, but the first goal was a belter. I initially though McGregor could've done better at the time, but watched the highlights when I got home and it was a tremendous goal.

Second goal comes about after about 15 deflections.

Lyon had all the luck last night but no doubt, they are a top side.

Good shout. He should have chucked the lads under a bus. Standards an that.
Aye let's just stick with the usual we'll be back stronger, we'll learn etc. You know the one's we've been hearing after poor results this season that have had little to no effect on the players ?

I did watch on TV and I agree with you. They definitely are a step above and I don’t think we created enough clear cut chances. But I also don’t get the drama going on here.

They scored a worldy and we lost a silly own goal. Kent didn’t cover himself in any glory but we probably should have had a penalty imho at 1-nil. Who knows what would have happened if we scored.

I can only imagine how fucking mental this place would be if we had qualified for the Champions League and got our arses handed to us by the elite teams.

If we don’t have everyone fully on it against teams like Lyon then last night happens.

Aye let's just stick with the usual we'll be back stronger, we'll learn etc. You know the one's we've been hearing after poor results this season that have had little to no effect on the players ?
Nah mate you're totally right. The post match press conferences are not good enough. They are definitely part of the issue. Out of curiosity, how do you think we could improve them?

Back