BT3 at 6pm Leeds V Rangers 1992/93

Cheers for the heads up OP. Enjoyed that.

The thing that always sticks out for me about Hateley’s goal, notwithstanding the fantastic strike itself, is Durrant out-leaping big Fairclough for the headed flick-on. He wasn’t exactly renowned for his aerial prowess but what a time to pull one out.

No two games have ever shook me like those two. Physically sick going past the Govan in the first game, was so wound up. The media really pumped it. Once they scored I calmed down but we gave it laldy that night. The team reaction was superb but they definitely fancied it down there. Big Ron’s voice with 5 minutes to go when Brian Moore said they deserve to go through “they are definitely tighter than Leeds and probably yes” What two nights those were. McCall waving to the Leeds faithful down there. So many highlights. Btw last English manager to win the league!

You have to wonder if McCoist would have scored 60/70 goals that season if it wasn't due to injuries before the leg break ending his season in Portugal in April 1993

Had scored 29 goals in all competitions after beating Leeds on 4th November 1992

Between then and 29th April 1993, date of Portugal v Scotland game he scored another 20 goals

We still had 6 club games after that 5 League and the Scottish Cup Final so getting 50+ was still there

Last edited:
It’s tr
Can this be confirmed please.

My mate who is a Dundee United fan just messaged to say he watched it and how good the Gers team were that season. I was saying that the respective home legs were not shown in their ITV region. He doubt this but I am sure I had to listen to the first leg on the radio.
ue 1st leg Was on up here with that skankie %^*& Gerry McNee as comentator. I was living in the borders and got Brian Moore and Ron Atkinson and their voices at the end were akin to a state funeral commentator. Fuckin lovely

When I left the first game, believe it or not I met 2 Tim’s that drunk in The Montrose bar where I had been before the game. They had went to the game and assured me Leeds would murder us in the second leg.
I enjoyed going back in there after the result we got.

The build up was relentless and all saying that we’d get humped, the first leg a fluke. 3 mins in, Hateley put the sniffy journos in their place.

My mate who is a Dundee United fan just messaged to say he watched it and how good the Gers team were that season. I was saying that the respective home legs were not shown in their ITV region. He doubt this but I am sure I had to listen to the first leg on the radio.
I think he is right

Half the Leeds midfield no longer with us.
My thoughts too when I was looking at their line up. Watched the Rangers Archive footage of St Johnstone cup tie against us in 1981 and 4 of ours from that day are no longer with us. Pretty shocking when you think these games are relative recent history.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

My thoughts too when I was looking at their line up. Watched the Rangers Archive footage of St Johnstone cup tie against us in 1981 and 4 of ours from that day are no longer with us. Pretty shocking when you think these games are relative recent history.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Sadly, it was 5 of them.

Sandy Jardine, Colin Jackson, Colin McAdam, Ian Redford, Davie Cooper.

I watched 2nd leg live on tv in Scotland

The build-up to the second leg was tremendous. No point in us turning up, apparently. To be fair to the Leeds fans, they knew they'd been beaten by the better side and had no complaints.

One of the things I remember most about that season was the evening Times printing the English newspapers reports on all our games.

It was like the mostly the whole of football in the UK was behind us and willing us on.

Goram was incredible that night. Made loads of saves from Cantona but the best one was from a certain Rod Wallace that he tipped onto the post.

Bumped into Ron Atkinson in a restaurant in Marseille the night before our game there. He was full of praise for us...

English press full of it before the game and big Ron couldn’t believe he would have been watching Rangers toy with Leeds for the last 10 minutes.

just watched it, well done the Bears what a team we had then full of battlers amongst talent too who knew how to get the job done, typical english commentary totally shocked how good a scottish goalkeeper could possibly play so well against the english elite only to point out that our Andy was actually english

Watched this the other night and given it was from the 3 foreigner rule era, how were Leeds able to start with McAllister, Strachan, Speed and Cantona?

Legendary game. My first experience of football was watching the Battle of Britain VHS when I was around 8 years old. What a season that was!!

Watched this the other night and given it was from the 3 foreigner rule era, how were Leeds able to start with McAllister, Strachan, Speed and Cantona?

Gary Speed was deemed 'home grown' after coming through the Leeds Youth system that UEFA allowed, same with Ryan Giggs at Manchester United

Never bothered with football as a kid,that was the game that captured me,was 21 building the welcome break services at abington M74,the firm building it was from Leeds as were 70% of the workforce they were all so confident they were wiping the floor with us,what a team we had back then

McCoist being interviewed and asked if they would be celebrating tonight ? ......No says the bold Ally "we've got a big game up the road on Saturday" ......... priceless and pure McCoist.

Behind the glass at Elland Rd that night. The hotel had opened its big bar that night because of anticipated demand. After the game there were three of us In the bar, but no locals. Apparently the celebration has been cancelled.

Back