Buchanan Street beggar James Campbell sentenced for raping woman

BlueMeanie

A STREET beggar who raped a 57-year-old woman after she stopped to offer help was today handed a life sentence.

James Campbell, 32, admitted raping the woman, on August 16, last year, around 6.30pm in a lane between West Nile Street, and Nelson Mandela Place, Glasgow.

At the High Court in Glasgow, judge Lady Stacey imposed an Order for Lifelong Restriction – similar to a life sentence – on Campbell.
Judge Lady Stacey imposed a punishment part of three years.
Campbell, who lived with his mother in Paisley, Renfrewshire, was out begging on August 16, last year, in Buchanan Street.

The woman noticed he was not wearing a top – although it was cold and raining.
She asked him if he was alright and chatted to him for about 10 minutes. Campbell then followed her and refused to go away.
As the woman walked past the lane, Campbell demanded a kiss before restraining her and raping her.
Campbell, who dressed in Celtic Football club clothing and draped himself in an Irish tricolour, regularly begged in Buchanan Street and made up to £100 a day.
The court heard that the woman struggled with Campbell and repeatedly told him: “Please don't” and “There is no need for this.”

Officers arrived to find Campbell raping the woman and dragged him off her. He had fresh scratch marks on his outer thighs.
The woman was visibly shaken and upset. She had bruised legs and grazes on her private parts.
Campbell told police: “She wanted rough sex so I gave it to her.”
The brutal rape was captured on CCTV and was described by Miss Gray as 'graphic' and added: “It includes images of the woman and the accused in a state of partial undress.”
Campbell, who has been in custody since August, last year, has been placed on the sex offenders' register.

Jeez. Utter scum. Remember seeing that reprobate on a couple of occasions, and for the tricolour alone I was surprised he'd not been filled in, never mind this level of degenerate behaviour.

Jeez. Utter scum. Remember seeing that reprobate on a couple of occasions, and for the tricolour alone I was surprised he'd not been filled in, never mind this level of degenerate behaviour.

I always give a beggar/homeless a quid whether they ask or not. The only exception is if they’re wearing the colours of a football club that covered up child abuse. I never give them anything. I feel a bit less guilty about that now.

I always give a beggar/homeless a quid whether they ask or not. The only exception is if they’re wearing the colours of a football club that covered up child abuse. I never give them anything. I feel a bit less guilty about that now.

Unfortunately for this lady, the old adage that 'no good deed goes unpunished' is true.

Brilliant news. What a complete down and outer of a man.

A nasty rapist beggar, who still lived with his mum at 32, couldny get his hole so had to force it on some poor woman who was only trying to help him. Then he has the audacity to say "she wanted it rough so I gave it to her"...

I know what I'd do if I was locked up with him. :)

That is what the SNP's gross negligence is doing to this country. Filth like this feel like they can just do whatever comes into their sick minds without fear of punishment. I mean "she wanted rough sex". Is that some sort of heinous attempt at banter with the arresting officers?
So is a life sentence 3 years now?

This order means he will
Be in custody for a long long time. At least 20 years.

This order means he will
Be in custody for a long long time. At least 20 years.

I don’t think it does. Anything under 4 years and he only has to serve half. If he’d been given 4 years and this order then I could maybe see your point but 3 years and he’ll be out in 18 months.

I instantly thought "wrong'un" when I saw that piece of shit begging!

I never give healthy, able bodied beggars anything, never mind one covered head to toe in filth!

So 3 years in jail and a lifelong tag, whoop de do. A tag isn't going to stop him attacking and raping someone.

Where is this 3yrs coming from?

OK read it again that is fecking unreal I thought there was minimum for rape?

I think there is a misunderstanding of what the judge has done here. She has sentenced him for 3 years for the rape but has additionally imposed an Order for Lifelong Restriction (OLR). The OLR is defined as:

The Order for Lifelong Restriction (OLR) is a unique sentence. It is not imposed for the crime committed but for the risk that the individual is assessed to present to the public. It is only imposed following conviction, and only after the preparation of a detailed Risk Assessment Report (RAR) can it be considered by a Judge in the High Court.

The OLR is a true lifelong sentence, meaning that all individuals sentenced to an OLR will be the subject of a Risk Management Plan (RMP) for the rest of their life.

What this means is not that he will be free after the initial 3 year sentence but that he will not be freed until he is deemed no longer a risk (likely to be 10-20 years) and that he will forever be subject thereafter to management which could see him re-imprisoned for any future transgressions.

Regardless of what football colours this fucking bastard had on he is utter utter scum, the fact it was the Beasts from the East makes it even worse if that's possible.

This bastard has ruined a innocent women's life who was just doing a good deid whilst going about her business.

Hope he gets battered from pillar to post inside and I'm sure a few bluenoses will be lining up to set about him.

I think there is a misunderstanding of what the judge has done here. She has sentenced him for 3 years for the rape but has additionally imposed an Order for Lifelong Restriction (OLR). The OLR is defined as:

The Order for Lifelong Restriction (OLR) is a unique sentence. It is not imposed for the crime committed but for the risk that the individual is assessed to present to the public. It is only imposed following conviction, and only after the preparation of a detailed Risk Assessment Report (RAR) can it be considered by a Judge in the High Court.

The OLR is a true lifelong sentence, meaning that all individuals sentenced to an OLR will be the subject of a Risk Management Plan (RMP) for the rest of their life.

What this means is not that he will be free after the initial 3 year sentence but that he will not be freed until he is deemed no longer a risk (likely to be 10-20 years) and that he will forever be subject thereafter to management which could see him re-imprisoned for any future transgressions.
Thanks for the explanation, it puts a little more weight on his sentence!
. . . I STILL hope he gets his cúnt kicked in regularly during his three years stay at Her Majesty’s pleasure!

It says it commences after a conviction. So does it simply not mean he’ll probably have to be on report to social work every week and shit like that? Surely it’s similar to the “life license” murders get post conviction and it just means they’ll be monitored and have strict conditions to meet. Not entirely sure it means he’ll not be released until they deem fit.

Anything under 4 years is an automatic only serve half your sentence.

It says it commences after a conviction. So does it simply not mean he’ll probably have to be on report to social work every week and shit like that? Surely it’s similar to the “life license” murders get post conviction and it just means they’ll be monitored and have strict conditions to meet. Not entirely sure it means he’ll not be released until they deem fit.

It says it is imposed "following a conviction" which just means that a conviction for a "serious violent or sexual offence" is required. It is not like the life licence which murderers receive.

Someone receiving an ORL can get parole but each prisoner's case can only considered by the Parole Board where the case is referred by the Scottish Ministers. What this means is that a Scottish Minister needs to be convinced that he is eligible to be considered for parole which is why it is more likely that he will be serving a very long sentence.

Finally, ORLs are very rare. In 2018/19 only 16 were handed out in hundreds of cases of rape and assault.

It's a special term. He got 3 years for the rape and this is an addition to hus sentence. He will serve 3 years for that and the restriction order starts concurrently. He has clearly shown no remorse or accountability as a risk so cannot be deemed fit for parole. He remains imprisoned after the punishment sentence expires .

So, he hasn't been sentenced to life at all. Is this the Scottish Justice's systems new way of trying to butter up their pathetic sentences. Really is a fucking joke the punishments handed out in Scotland. Everyone of the people behind putting the justice system should be put in a room with the victims, their families etc. and made to explain why they feel the committing crimes done deserve proper punishment.

Just about every single judge in this country need a massive kick in their balls or whatever. The whole thing needs revised and judges need to start feeling the pain of their disgusting behavior.

In the absence of hanging, this is better than the three years it comes across as.

Back