Budge out on a limb at 10.00am tomorrow

jaws73

Official Ticketer
She's going to need her lawyer's number on speed-dial I think.

Ann Budge could be left marooned on Monday as she battles to save Hearts from the catastrophic consequences of relegation.

The Tynecastle owner will take part in a 10am conference call with nine other Championship clubs to discuss whether or not Scotland’s second tier might be able to get up and running next season behind closed doors after being shut down by the coronavirus crisis.

Budge hopes to persuade them that the game can be re-started without fans but Record Sport understands the majority of those clubs are already convinced they cannot afford to play games until the government has given the green light for supporters to return to stadia.

That will ramp up the urgency of Budge’s attempts to reconstruct the SPFL and her proposal for a new look set up is also expected to be circulated around all of Scotland’s 42 clubs today.

As we revealed on Saturday, a number of sympathetic top flight clubs have privately pledged to support Budge’s proposals and vote to keep Hearts in an extended Premiership.

But we have also learned that the odds are stacking up heavily against the chances of any emergency reconstruction getting off the ground with one club chairman telling us: “It’s not a vote Ann needs - it’s more like a miracle.”

Any plan which proposes changes to the current payment structure to clubs in a new look league will require almost universal support, including 11 out of 12 top flight clubs.

And it’s almost certain that any attempt to restructure the top division without amending those payments would be doomed to fail from the start.

One source explained: “The prize money due to the club finishing 12th in Premiership is a great deal more than it would be for a club finishing in 14th place. In principle, who is going to vote for a reconstruction which could potentially see their own income fall?

“That’s why the payment amounts would almost certainly have to change if Hearts are to have any chance of getting this proposal through. The trouble is when the payments change, so too does the threshold of votes required.”

It is likely then that Hearts will need 11 top flight clubs to back Budge’s plan, even though six of them ganged up earlier this month to scupper previous reconstruction talks.

On top of that, they will also need a combined total of 75 per cent of clubs from across the Premiership and Championship - that’s 16 out of 22 clubs - to take their side.

Across all four divisions Hearts would need to secure the support of 32 of Scotland’s 42 clubs.

Seems like almost everyone except her knew this was bound to fail, - again.
Let's see if she follows through on her legal action statement.

Rumours in one of the rags tonight saying a 16 team league might be on the cards with a top 6 and bottom 10 split.

Guess now we now know what Dundee were bribed with to change their vote.

They aren’t even trying to hide how corrupt they are.

There is no way the top flight would countenance 16 teams next season.

Rumours in one of the rags tonight saying a 16 team league might be on the cards with a top 6 and bottom 10 split.

40 game league?

15 home & away. Then 10 matches in the split home and away.

Not going to lie I would like seeing the league reshuffled as the current format is boring. I actually quite like that proposal.

The one thing nagging me though is the way this whole situation has been manipulated to give them the title and keep Hearts up.

Hope we vote against but I don’t actually mind that proposal.

I like 16-team home and away. Why the split? The SKY deal isn't big enough to allow them to dictate the format of the Division.

It would rather stupid to try for a 40 game League season in 20/21. But it is Scottish football...

with one club chairman telling us: “It’s not a vote Ann needs - it’s more like a miracle.”

Where do they get this sh!t from ?

I like 16-team home and away. Why the split? The SKY deal isn't big enough to allow them to dictate the format of the Division.

It would rather stupid to try for a 40 game League season in 20/21. But it is Scottish football...

Would imagine the split would be a way to guarantee 4 old firms and keep Sky somewhat happy.

Also potentially scrapping the league cup and having a smaller Scottish cup of 16 teams as everyone else would be mothballed for a season might make it easier to fit 40 games into a season.

Would imagine the split would be a way to guarantee 4 old firms and keep Sky somewhat happy.

Also potentially scrapping the league cup and having a smaller Scottish cup of 16 teams as everyone else would be mothballed for a season might make it easier to fit 40 games into a season.

Ah, fair enough. Forgot about the Cups and how they will be affected.

All talk of reconstruction is driven out of desperation, not for the good of the game. Any reconstruction should only take place with a one season notice period to remove as much self interest as possible.

I don’t necessarily care if it’s 32/36/40 games a season. We need the right format, not the most appeasing format.

Major barrier to going over 38 games is space in the fixture list and complying with UEFA’s rules for top divisions, something the clowns running our game appear oblivious to.

[/QUOT

I’m calling nonsense on this one a 40 game season for top 6 and for the bottom 10 a 48 game season?? Nope ain’t happening

“With nine other champions clubs”, it could all have been so different if they followed through on the threat of court action. Instead of being a championship club (which they now are, however unfair) they’d have been an spfl club fighting for a fair resolution to COVID crisis but they were pacified with a pipe dream of reconstruction, hell mend ‘em.

Still needs the clubs to vote for it. Not happening for a 16 team league.

If this fails then Hearts go to court, hypothetically speaking they will argue that to call the season early on a average Pts per game basis was unlawful and that they way in which the member clubs in conjunction with the SPFL executive handled the vote and determination was lacking in governance to the point of being unlawful. So surely it must serve our purpose to vote Hearts proposal down, but then how do we support Hearts in their legal route in order to give it the best opportunity to bring this pack of cards down.?

I’m assuming our board have sacked the chance to bring our own legal challenge given the time that’s past since the unanimous vote was declared!!!?

The thing is when she gets screwed over tomorrow she can’t even go to court because there are no courts running.

i wonder could that be the reason we haven’t gone to court yet or could that simply be that we’ve bottled it.

She should have been concentrating solely on one thing to get her out of this mess and it sure as hell wasn't reconstruction talks.

F*ck them. She was stupid enough to believe that reconstruction could happen first time around when it was blatantly obvious it couldn't. I don't think they'll be back anytime soon

Don't forget the SPFL exec. steamrolled through their proposal, AKA Dundee's dirty deal.
They relegated Hearts no one else, it was them all for the sake of Peter and their team.
No team promoted no team relegated, and no title award for a three quarter season would have stopped all this rot.

Last edited:
The thing is when she gets screwed over tomorrow she can’t even go to court because there are no courts running.

i wonder could that be the reason we haven’t gone to court yet or could that simply be that we’ve bottled it.
I think we done our bit and made our point, we even offered to fund an independent enquiry.

It’s not our fight anymore and not our responsibility.

Going to court is a different ball game and a very costly legal bill if you lose.

Despite the obvious misdemeanours that have taken place there are no guarantees ( particularly in Scotland ) of justice being done.

Don't forget the SPFL exec. steamrolled through their proposal, AKA Dundee's dirty deal.
They relegated Hearts no one else, it was them all for the sake of Peter and their team.
No team promoted no team relegated, would have stopped all this rot.
And no team awarded a title.

You had enough games to survive as we did to win the title.
Don’t give a %^*& what happens to other teams tbh.

Back