Budge will take legal action if Reconstruction Fails (Hootsman)

jaws73

Official Ticketer
Two Q.C.s have looked at the original decision. Interesting.

Hearts chief Ann Budge has warned that she will have no option but to follow through on her threat of legal action if the Tynecastle club is left languishing in the Championship when the new season finally kicks off.
That would throw Scottish football into even greater turmoil and could derail the resumption of competitive action, but the retired businesswoman insists she would make a stand if something is not done to mitigate a decision she maintains is “unfair” and “wrong”.
Criticised for the reconstruction paper she submitted to clubs earlier this week, she says the creation of a 14-team redresses the decision by the SPFL clubs in April to relegate Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer.

The proposition is to be discussed by the current four divisions next week, with Budge desperate for a decision that would allow everyone to move on.
“It could drift and drift and drift and I for one don’t want that anymore than anyone else,” said Budge. “As if there weren’t enough uncertainties about.
“I know some people will say ‘just give up then’ but that takes us full circle to me saying ‘I’m not giving up because this is wrong’.”
The initial grievance of being relegated with eight matches of the league campaign remaining has been compounded by the consequences of that decision, most pertinently the possibility that they may have to sit out half of next season as several of the second tier sides have said they are unable and unwilling to complete a season which will start behind closed doors.
“If it unfortunately becomes clear that we will be starting the season in the Championship I don’t have any choice but to go ahead with a legal battle,” reiterated Budge.

“Do I want to do that? Absolutely not. We could have done it straight away but I didn’t do it because it wasn’t the right thing to do without exploring other options.
“Other clubs have admitted that we should be given financial compensation but who benefits out of that? If it is the clubs compensating us then they are basically admitting that something wasn’t fair.
“We have already got two QCs who have looked over that original decision and that is just one angle. If we are in the Championship and the Championship isn’t playing then it is effectively a restriction of trade.”
But she refuted that her pursuit of justice was driven by a fear that the club would be unable to survive the drop.

“No, I’m still fighting because it is wrong. I have said before that we had planned to make sure we could see ourselves through to late August/Sept, when we hoped we would be able to return, but we have revised that and now have a business plan that takes us through to next year.
“So, it isn’t so much about that, it’s because it is wrong and, at the end of the day, if I have exhausted all other avenues then I think I owe it
I think I owe it to the supporters to say we will not take this lying down.”

She would come across much more convincing if she ignored reconstruction and simply took them to court for throwing her club out of the league.

If she's had two Q.C.s looking over things the advice might have been to seek re-dress via the SPFL first and once that is exhausted the courts are more likely to entertain a case. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

I am not entirely sure why so many on here want to put the boot into Budge. Yes, she has been a bit naive and yes she has tried to look out for her own club via reconstruction (and why shouldn’t she?) but Hearts are the one club who have consistently supported us throughout all of this. They joined us and Stranraer in proposing the EGM resolution, they were supporting us prior to that in our proposed resolution which Mackenzie and co put the kaibosh on re loans, they voted with is on the EGM resolution and they have consistently slaughtered the SPFL. Best of luck to Budge and Hearts in any legal challenge.

It’s “ unfair and wrong “ apparently.

But it’s fine if we get reconstruction.

She’s a complete waste of space and an embarrassment.
This in spades
Ridiculous from her now because the reco"get hearts back in"nstruction has been kicked out

Firing threats in before(during/after) the vote worked for the SPFL so it seems she's taking a lead from their playbook. Any legal act would drag the SFA into the fold from under their slimy rock and more importantly bring a UEFA key point into play when calling league's - there is a public perception of unfairness in the qualification of the club.

I don't get the vitriol towards her, she is trying to look after her club who have been shafted more than most in this situation.

If it can happen in a manner without having to resort to expensive legal action on their part then of course she'd pursue that option first.

I think people here just expect everyone to share the exact same passions as they do in this and it's not possible.

Irrespective of how we feel about the decision to hand out titles (that I won't ever recognise), Hearts fans feel a hell of a lot worse than we do right now.

Budge will Fudge.
The dogs on the street know that the reconstruction is doomed to self-interested failure yet again - already seeing the dissenters to it.

So just stop talking and get on with it.

Back