Bundesliga clubs allowed to return to training as of today

I'm sure I read something about this the other day. From memory, no heading the ball, no tackling, no contact, gloves on, groups of 4 or less, all observing social distancing, no more than 1 coach, everything sanitised before and after training. Along those lines anyway. And all for no purpose because they won't be playing anytime soon anyway.

Its 'training' but not as we know it Jim.:) Its also not universal for all Bundesliga clubs. Some area authorities have refused to allow clubs to return to training.

Last edited:
They clearly know something we don’t.

They’ll finish the seasons behind closed doors. Feels like an absolute certainty now.

I'm sure I read something about this the other day. From memory, no heading the ball, no tackling, no contact, gloves on, groups of 4 or less, all observing social distancing, no more than 1 coach, everything sanitised before and after training. Along those lines anyway. And all for no purpose because they won't be playing anytime soon anyway.

Its 'training' but not as we know it Jim.:)

It all seems absolutely pointless whilst such measures are in place. They would be as well just going running and kicking a ball about their back garden.

They clearly know something we don’t.

They’ll finish the seasons behind closed doors. Feels like an absolute certainty now.
Given the apparent 'UEFA ruling' around 3PM kick offs in the UK, I can see them try to do this behind closed doors.

Why they're saying it's a 'UEFA' ruling though is beyond me, I was always under the impression it was an old archaic UK law that stopped TV broadcasting UK 3pms in the UK to protect the lower league attendances.

Crazy decision. Although while Germany has the 4th largest number of confirmed cases it’s death toll is nowhere near the same as other nations with so many cases. Not that that makes it ok of course, money before health no doubt being pushed by Uefa.

The ordinary supporters hold the key to show the billionaire owners of clubs who are taking tax payers money to furlough staff and now put players lives at risk , while having the potential to spread a virus and potentially kill people ...
Season tickets sales are coming to these clubs with no morals .....the ordinary supporters can make their voices heard by NOT renewing season tickets or forever become a condoners....

Last edited:

First of the big nations to make such a call.

Germany have the 4th highest number of recorded covid cases in the world and more than double that of the UK.

If you read the amount of restrictions placed on the clubs and players in any meaningful sense it is training in name only, complete waste of time. Football in Europe is not going to be played in earnest untl August at the earliest.

Think this may actually be a bit of a political move by the Germans.
We can train but, due to social distancing, can't properly train for matches. Once social distancing rules are relaxed (which could be sometime away) they would still require a proper pre-season training. By which time you are into Aug/Sept and still no games played. So at some point the Germans can say to UEFA look we have done everything reasonably possible to meet your requirements but it can't be done without impacting next season so we are calling time on this one.
Either that or the German Govt steps in and tells them to stop and the German football Authorities are then in a position to say to UEFA that they tried to comply but couldn't because of Government restrictions.
Just can't see the Germans who are very methodical in everything they do taking risks/chances like this without there being something behind it.
They certainly won't be overly worried by UEFA's threats re next years competitions as they, the Italians and the Spaniards have been threatening a breakaway for years.

Crazy decision. Although while Germany has the 4th largest number of confirmed cases it’s death toll is nowhere near the same as other nations with so many cases. Not that that makes it ok of course, money before health no doubt being pushed by Uefa.

They have more identified cases because they have tested a lot more than most countries. We could have a similar amount of cases but will only be revealed when our testing picks up pace. Still seems very premature though. I wouldn't have expected anything to happen by late May at the earliest.

It was always going to be the outcome that the big leagues would be finished in one way or another. Folk on here were totally underestimating how much money would dictate things.

Bonkers decision

If any player gets the virus and is seriously ill the club better have a good insurance policy

Far too early given the virus is rampant in Germany

The Germans know what they are doing. It seems they have dealt with the crisis better than any other European nation.

We won't know that until it is all behind us. Every country is at a different stage in all of this and, some would have you believe, Germany are supposedly using a different methodology to record deaths. So far, the only 'believable' outlier is South Korea - the vast majority of other countries seem to be following roughly the same trajectory regardless of measures put in place. But that's for The Lounge mate.

This is horrible news.

I cant believe the ignorance in some teams. It's a world pandemic.

I want the world to return to normal ASAP. However, lifes matter not money.

Looks like it will just be fitness work. they can't resume full training and be in a position to play games. will just be keeping the players ticking over

Whi

They are down to under 100 deaths a day most of whom are elderly and would likely have died of normal flu. So how do they manage such a low fatality rate?

They have more identified cases because they have tested a lot more than most countries. We could have a similar amount of cases but will only be revealed when our testing picks up pace. Still seems very premature though. I wouldn't have expected anything to happen by late May at the earliest.
Ah ok mate that kinda explains it then. Definitely premature as you say, I wouldn’t have expected anyone in Europe to return to training anytime soon, certainly not this month.

Whi

They are down to under 100 deaths a day most of whom are elderly and would likely have died of normal flu. So how do they manage such a low fatality rate?
No idea mate, more proactive than most other countries in testing and possibly a better healthcare system? I honestly have no idea, same as I have no idea how China seem to have just turned off a tap and the death rate slowing to almost zero. Definitely a lot we are not being told about this whole pandemic.

I would assume the German government have given the go ahead on the advice of their health advisors who I would expect to be among the best in the world. The Clubs, then the players you would think would also not risk anything unnecessary to put themselves and their families at risk. If they are even, as intimated on here, “training” in name only I’m still taking it as a positive in the battle against this virus. Optimistic Loyal.

I would assume the German government have given the go ahead on the advice of their health advisors who I would expect to be among the best in the world. The Clubs, then the players you would think would also not risk anything unnecessary to put themselves and their families at risk. If they are even, as intimated on here, “training” in name only I’m still taking it as a positive in the battle against this virus. Optimistic Loyal.

Its not been sanctioned by the German Government. Its sanctioned by local government. Bayern have been allowed to return to training - with some very strict restrictions which render it training in name only - but other local governments have NOT allowed their teams to return to training.

Last edited:
I have said many times on here about rumminigge saying that it was all about the money, at least he was brutally honest and not hiding the truth like others.

As his own club bayern are back training, this makes me think somethings in the planning. Personally I think they're going to try a quick end to the seasons in june.

Its not been sanctioned by the German Government. Its is sanctioned by local government. Bayern have been allowed to return to training - with some very strict restrictions which render it training in name only - but other local governments have NOT allowed their teams to return to training.
Ok mate thanks for the info. I read the Op quickly which states “Bundesliga Clubs allowed to return to training”. I assumed that was ALL Clubs not just some.

Just one of those players catch it then the shit will really hit the fan

Ok mate thanks for the info. I read the Op quickly which states “Bundesliga Clubs allowed to return to training”. I assumed that was ALL Clubs not just some.

Can't find the source I was reading now. Doh! Most of the media stories are based on a PA report which, in turn, is based upon a tweet from Bayern saying they were returning to training. The Bundesliga had previously decreed no training until 5 Apr. However, I did read one report, which I can't find now, that expanded on the story by giving the name of a couple of teams who's local government had not allowed to resume training.

Who knows what to believe these days, its a minefield.

Back