German Football Trips / Pictures

Bazza1985

There have been a few threads in recent times about German football and everybody seems to have positive feedback (atmosphere, the way fans are treated, food and drink everywhere etc). Thought i'd post / share a few pictures of each of the matches i've been to in recent years.

*Edited, thread updated with the following games / pictures:
Post 1 - Hamburg v Schalke 04
Post 1 - Mainz 05 v VfB Stuttgart
Post 1 - Wolfsburg v Hamburg
Post 2 - Rot-Weiss Essen v Borussia Monchengladbach II
Post 2 - Borussia Monchengladbach v Eintracht Frankfurt
Post 2 - Borussia Dortmund v Mainz 05
Post 3 - Fortuna Dusseldorf v Hannover 96
Post 3 - 1. FC Koln v Augsburg
Post 4 - Schalke 04 v Darmstadt
Post 4 - Union Berlin v Arminia Bielefeld
Post 5 - Kaiserslautern v Holstein Kiel
Post 5 - Eintracht Frankfurt v 1. FC Koln
Post 6 - VfB Stuttgart v Borussia Monchengladbach
Posts 38 & 39 - Hertha Berlin v Bayern Munich
Post 48 - Bayer Leverkusen v Augsburg
Post 49 - TSG 1899 Hoffenheim v Bayern Munich
Post 55 - RB Leipzig v Borussia Dortmund
Post 66 - Schalke 04 v Mainz 05
Post 67 - Bayern Munich v 1. FC Koln
Post 68 - Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund
Post 73 - Augsburg v Mainz 05
Post 74 - SSV Jahn Regensburg v St Pauli
Post 92 - Wurzburger Kickers v Kaiserslautern
Post 93 - Greuther Furth v Borussia Monchengladbach
Post 94 - Nurnberg v Darmstadt 98
Post 95 - Alemannia Aachen v Rot-Weiss Essen
Post 102 - RB Leipzig v Rangers
Post 105 - Eintracht Braunschweig v Magdeburg
Post 106 - Dynamo Dresden v SSV Jahn Regensburg
Post 111 - SV Werder Bremen v Augsburg
Post 112 - Hannover 96 v Eintracht Braunschweig
Post 114 - St Pauli v SV Sandhausen
Post 118 - VfL Bochum v Hertha Berlin
Post 121 - SC Freiburg v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

Hamburg v Schalke 04 (0-3)

temporary image upload

Mainz 05 v VfB Stuttgart (1-1)

temporary image upload

Wolfsburg v Hamburg (1-1)

temporary image upload

Last edited:
Some cracking pics there mate.

I love the Bundesliga and an annual trip over to watch Hamburg. The whole match experience is amazing and blows everything in this country out of the water.

I'll post a few pics/videos later if I get time. I've got some from on the pitch after the final game of last season when Hamburg stayed up with a last minute winner.

German stadiums and fans are incredible. I was at a Dusseldorf game last year and am going to see Hamburg in May.

Would recommend a Bundesliga to any bear off to Dusseldorf April to see them play Bochum then up to Koln to take in there game

Would recommend a Bundesliga to any bear off to Dusseldorf April to see them play Bochum then up to Koln to take in there game

Area around dusseldorf is superb for football. So many great teams less than 1hr train journey away. Plus dusseldorf is a great base / plenty of good pubs for a night out.

Next season I'll probably do a weekend that allows me to do another two more big grounds. Thinking of one of the following:

Eastern area
Hertha Berlin & RB Leipzig

Northern area
Hannover & Bremen

Southern area
Bayern Munich and possibly Nuremberg

I've managed to get 3 matches on 3 trips previously (matches on Friday night, Saturday and sunday).

Last edited:
Next season I'll probably do a weekend that allows me to do another two more big grounds. Thinking of one of the following:

Eastern area
Hertha Berlin & RB Leipzig

Northern area
Hannover & Bremen

Southern area
Bayern Munich and possibly Nuremberg

I've managed to get 3 matches on 3 trips previously (matches on Friday night, Saturday and sunday).
That’s good going. How did you get all the tickets?

That’s good going. How did you get all the tickets?

Of the 13 German games I've been to so far, I've managed to get tickets for 12 of them via general sale / clubs own website's. Normally I buy them the morning they go on sale.

For Broussia Dortmund v Mainz I had to buy tickets on viagogo.

Would be interested to know if anyone has managed to get Bayern tickets via general sale.

Of the 13 German games I've been to so far, I've managed to get tickets for 12 of them via general sale / clubs own website's. Normally I buy them the morning they go on sale.

Would be interested to know if anyone has managed to get Bayern tickets via general sale.
I think unlikely. When I went to Bayern, it was via a colleague buying a membership and was going for a CL game. Midweek some can’t make it. I think the tickets went on sale to members about 2 weeks before the game.

Same with Dortmund.

My first Bundesliga game was part of a hockey trip. I had hockey Friday night and Sunday. Saturday was free and it worked out well with Frankfurt playing at home.

Would do Frankfurt again but I'd also consider Mainz, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, Karlsruhe or even a Mannheim game since I'll be in Mannheim for the hockey anyway.

My first Bundesliga game was part of a hockey trip. I had hockey Friday night and Sunday. Saturday was free and it worked out well with Frankfurt playing at home.

Would do Frankfurt again but I'd also consider Mainz, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, Karlsruhe or even a Mannheim game since I'll be in Mannheim for the hockey anyway.

I think hoffenheim is also in that area.

I went to Frankfurt V Dortmund in October, the atmosphere was incredible. Frankfurt came from 2-0 down to draw and the place was electric.

I was tasked with buying the tickets, which I did. We arrived at the stadium and all three of our kitted ourselves out in Frankfurt merchandise (not quite full kit wankers - don't worry)! We then walked around the stadium before deciding to go to our 'Zone' to take our seats... which was in the Dortmund end. Merchandise was quickly removed and hidden before we got in. :D

If anyone wants to visit a proper football match in Germany, go and visit the Grotenburg Stadion in Krefeld-Uerdingen. Not far away from DĂĽsseldorf Airport.

Schalke 04 v Darmstadt 98 (3-1)

temporary image upload

Union Berlin v Arminia Bielefeld (1-1)

temporary image upload

And now you know where my user name comes from :)

I have been privileged to be welcomed into the Arminia Bielefeld fold. Fabulous club. Fabulous fans.

Beat this. My last two visits. Arminia 2 - Munster 1 (local derby to virtually secure promotion to Bu 2) and Arminia 6 -Braunschweig 0 (to save Arminia from relegation to Bu3).

As the OP says, if you want to be treated like a valued customer, and enjoy excellent football, get yourself over the Germany :D

I'll be going to the Hertha koln game in April when I'm over. Been an avid fan of the bundesliga since I started watching in 06/07 the way that season ended got me hooked. Sadly in recent years Bayern have gone to a different planet.

Guy in my work got us Bayern v Hoffenheim earlier this season via member pre sale. He said they very rarely go to general sale for league games. Previous time I went to Bayern v Frankfurt I got them via getmein.

Also been to Leverkusen v Dortmund and Schalke v Wolfsburg. Both via general sale. Cracking atmosphere and experience in all 4 compared to the way we get treated like cattle over here.

Took in Wolfsburg and Mainz in October, good game, good atmosphere and a bevvey watching the match. Sausages outside the ground were magic as well!

213nfnk.jpg

Off to Oktoberfest next weekend and managed to secure tickets to the Bayern v Borussia Monchen Gladbach game next Saturday, in with the BMG fans - apparently 9000 will be in attendance.
My first Bundesliga game .... Cannot wait is an understatement :p

Stuttgart v Hertha for me.

The Frankfurt game will be moved due to their Europa participation. I've got hockey again this trip on Friday and Sunday so I only have Saturday available for football. Lower leagues will already be on their winter break.

Stuttgart v Hertha isnt the worse of games to go to. Should be an enjoyable day trip. Easy from Mannheim to Stuttgart HBF and then onto a tram or a regional train.

Some cracking pictures OP

I did the Dortmund tour 2 years back. I've vowed I'll take my son there for a game when he's old enough.

I can imagine it being a hell of an atmosphere, especially in the standing bit.

There's no such thing as a sh*te German football stadium is there? No wonder it's such a popular league, always good competition between teams, good crowds and good beer

Off to Oktoberfest next weekend and managed to secure tickets to the Bayern v Borussia Monchen Gladbach game next Saturday, in with the BMG fans - apparently 9000 will be in attendance.
My first Bundesliga game .... Cannot wait is an understatement :p

You picked a cracking game. Gladbach end must've been bouncing!!!!

Out of interest, did you have to use viagogo or similar for tickets? From what I understand Munich tickets never go on public sale.

You picked a cracking game. Gladbach end must've been bouncing!!!!

Out of interest, did you have to use viagogo or similar for tickets? From what I understand Munich tickets never go on public sale.
It was outstanding mate .. other than a few Rangers away games it was without doubt the best atmosphere I have been at.
BMG fans were outstanding.
One of my German friends (Hamburg fan) sorted the tickets for us ..

Another update of this thread. Managed to go to Hoffenheim v Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig v Borussia Dortmund at the weekend. Two more fantastic stadiums. Given it was the big two clubs, the stands were packed with away fans. It's amazing to see how away fans are accepted, in such large numbers, by home fans in their own stands in Germany (with the exception of the ultras behind the goal, that's a no go area for away fans)

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim v Bayern Munich (1-3)

Back