Burnley chairman says they will go bust in august

I find it utterly shocking, with all the money thrown at these clubs that they live hand to mouth the way they do.

I have little or no sympathy with a club who’s financial model/ profligacy in terms of wages is entirely designed to keep them in a league for the financial reward. Where’s the ‘sporting integrity’ in that! Especially when it is an overhyped, piss poor league with little or no competition for the title.

When I see Monday night football Burnley v almost anyone in that league, I despair! They have an £87m wage bill for what? To make sure they maintain their tenure at the big table no matter the cost...Hell mend them!!

The PFA in England has been quoted as saying that "proposals for a 30% pay cut for Premier League players would be "detrimental to our NHS".

I dare say the many hundreds of thousands of people furloughed and laid off recently would prefer to be paying their share of of tax and NI. When I compare the behaviour and attitudes of this country's key workers with the bloated world of football, the risks they are taking for relatively low wages, I'm quickly losing interest in the overpaid world of top football and I'm not sure I will ever get it all back.

We'll see what happens to future TV contracts. It is going to take many, many people years to recover their finances. Some will be able to defer mortgages and other liabilities in the short term but they will need to be paid sometime. Faced with that, I suspect that there will be mighty few prepared to pay subscriptions to any combination of Sky, BT, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Even the EPL lower clubs get more a year from the TV deals than the whole of Scottish football from all its sources. I have no sympathy for the clubs and even less for the players.

Amazed at some of the crass comments on this thread after all we’ve been through.

If many of you lost your income tomorrow, how many could financially survive until August? Yet people are claiming burnley live beyond their means? I’d bet most individuals and businesses would be struggling come May/June time, never mind August.

I wish them nothing but the best in these unfortunate times.

Clubs should start laying off players who have a transfer value less than the cost of their wages over the next 3 months.

Pretty sure I read that the TV companies won’t pay out if the season doesnt finish. So I’d imagine most EPL and Championship clubs will be similar to those kind of numbers.
Wonder if they would pay back their subscriptions though. Doubtful.

TV companies would surely have to pay for the percentage they have watched or they'll watch their product suffer badly.

Football is set for a reset after all this is over.

Folks just won't have the money and sky sports will be the first to be ditch.

You‘re correct mate. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the UK will lose jobs and income as a result of Covid so, people won’t be spending precious money on sports subscriptions to Sky and BT. If the numbers are high enough then there maybe a change re what is paid to the English leagues.

As has been mentioned I wouldn't particularly like to see any team go bust as such but hopefully this is a massive wake up call that they can't continue to operate in their own wee bubble down there. Maybe a bit more parity from here

Everyone knows it’s been obscene for years.
I don’t want to see Clubs hitting the wall, what a precarious nature.
People have been predicting a burst bubble for a long time - it is absolutely horrific now - people are dying and suffering for that to start transpiring into reality. It is certainly shining a big light on the money floating about. It is not the players fault that for being good at kicking a ball about Clubs are handing out contracts on astronomical wages.

Don't want them to go bust but shows you just how fragile the whole thing is. If clubs can't survive for a few months.

Sky/BT and the EPL are getting what they deserve if the bubble bursts they have been taking advantage of the working class by selling subscription's into the 100s of pounds per month which has allowed the EPL teams to go around spending without a care thinking they are untouchable personally I hope it's more than just Burnley that croak it

Burnley have surely made enough from their few years in the EPL to see them through these strange times? If not it’s completely their own fault if they go bust

I hope they don’t go bust but there has to be a reality here. Thy aren’t a big club. They are a very small club in a big league.

There won’t be but I would hope this brings about a balance back into football.

Last year when spurs played Ajax in the semi final of the UCL and spurs were the bookies favourites it was just another example of the absurdity of modern money ball.

Not sure of your point about spurs being favourites, they went through

I have little or no sympathy with a club who’s financial model/ profligacy in terms of wages is entirely designed to keep them in a league for the financial reward. Where’s the ‘sporting integrity’ in that! Especially when it is an overhyped, piss poor league with little or no competition for the title.

When I see Monday night football Burnley v almost anyone in that league, I despair! They have an £87m wage bill for what? To make sure they maintain their tenure at the big table no matter the cost...Hell mend them!!
What would you do if you were Burnley? Try and stay in the EPL or just accept being in the championship or league 1 every year? Somehow I dont think as a fan you would accept the latter.

Burnley should aim for mid table championship spot for eternity, shouldnt they? Sounds fucking terrible mate.

Anyone in any doubt as to the severity of this issue only needs to consider this:

At the end of last season, Burnley made a profit of £36m.

Their annual wage is £80m.

The Filth's annual wage is just 23% less and they have nowhere near the income stream of Burnley owing to the EPL TV deal.

This is going to be a war of attrition. We need to make sure we get through it.

Small clubs hooked up to life support machines. When that life support is taken away then those clubs are at serious risk of death.

That is all that the SKY and BT contracts are to almost all of those clubs in the EPL, life support.

Amazed at some of the crass comments on this thread after all we’ve been through.

If many of you lost your income tomorrow, how many could financially survive until August? Yet people are claiming burnley live beyond their means? I’d bet most individuals and businesses would be struggling come May/June time, never mind August.

I have no problem with Burnley themselves. They’re a victim, not a cause of the bubble.

The cause was clubs overspending as a result of inflated TV deals and foreign money pumped in, forcing smaller clubs to overspend just to keep competitive.

It was always going to come crashing down at some point. I think people are welcoming of the overall pricking of the bubble, as opposed to having particular ill-will towards Burnley themselves.

Anyone in any doubt as to the severity of this issue only needs to consider this:

At the end of last season, Burnley made a profit of £36m.

Their annual wage is £80m.

The Filth's annual wage is just 23% less and they have nowhere near the income stream of Burnley owing to the EPL TV deal.

This is going to be a war of attrition. We need to make sure we get through it.
Interesting angle on things. I was wondering, out of us and Celtic - who is most affected? 2 different wage bills that are proportionately related to each clubs revenue, but in this circumstance who is worse off? They usually rely on a player sale of £20m last 2 or 3 summers to break even without CL. will any team be in a position to give them £20m this year? Mmmm

What would you do if you were Burnley? Try and stay in the EPL or just accept being in the championship or league 1 every year? Somehow I dont think as a fan you would accept the latter.

Burnley should aim for mid table championship spot for eternity, shouldnt they? Sounds fucking terrible mate.

Of course, Burnley are a symptom of the crass, greedy environment in which they play for which I have nothing but disdain.

When we played Burnley in a pre-season game I met a few Burnley fans up for game and golf.Sorry for the fans of clubs like this.But they sold their soul to t.v.

You should always have around 6 months salary in savings - sensible planning.

People are saying the TV companies should just pay but why should they. They are paying top dollar to secure those rights on the basis it will get them viewers. The minute this happened those viewers are calling up to cancel... No football...no payment.

The simplest thing to do would be for all parties to negotiate that 3 quarters of the season was played so you get that cash. Prize money is more difficult. If clubs want to keep their greedy players who will ditch them under these circumstances then they'll have to borrow against future earnings. It's not like they can't get a bank loan with that kind of revenue is it. Then cut their cloth accordingly.

People are losing their livelihoods over this pandemic and we need to listen to these snivelling millionaires complaining. It's pathetic.

BURNLEY chairman Mike Garlick has warned they will go BUST in August if the football lockdown has not ended by then.

The Clarets boss revealed they stand to lose £50MILLION if the current season is cancelled — and warned other Premier League clubs face losses of as much as £100M.

Garlick said the situation is so dire that his club — one of the best run in the top flight — will be potless later this summer unless the deadly Covid-19 pandemic has eased by then.

He said: “The fact of the matter is, if we don’t finish the season and there isn’t a clear start date for next season, we, as a club, will run out of money by August. That is a fact.

“I can’t speak for other clubs, I don’t know their financial positions.

“All I can speak for us our club and our position.

“That’s why we’re very determined that when of course it is safe to do so, we really want to finish this season.”

Garlick, speaking to Sky Sports News, added: “We voted unanimously to finish the season, so it’s clear everyone wants to get the job done.

It is crystal clear that finishing the season is by far the best outcome for all the Premier League clubs.”

The 20 Prem clubs still hope to complete the campaign, even if that means playing behind closed doors and cramming the remaining fixtures into the spell of a few weeks.

Yet the longer the lockdown goes on so long, the greater the fear they will eventually have to admit defeat and call if off.

That will cost top flight clubs a fortune in lost revenue – especially those without megarich benefactors – plus the possibility of having to repay TV money to rights holders.

In Burnley’s case that means around £5 million in lost revenue from the remaining home games.

Failure to finish the season means it is highly unlikely it could be recouped, owing to the likely prospect of these fixtures being played behind closed doors.

Missing out on cash payments from the Premier League would be a hit of up to £45 million in broadcasting revenue and other items, while for some others it could be double that.

Garlick continued: “It’s a completely unprecedented situation facing us and other Premier League clubs that no-one could have foreseen just a few weeks ago.

“It’s not just about Burnley, it’s the whole football ecosystem from the Premier League downwards and all the other businesses and communities that feed from that ecosystem.

“As a club, fans, staff members and a town, we are all in this together and I’m sure we can get through by sticking together and helping each other in every way possible.

“We all need to do our bit, however small.”

A Burnley statement added: The club is keen to be transparent with supporters, staff and stakeholders.

“It is therefore able to confirm that due to the continued suspension of Premier League games this presents some significant challenges for the football club.

“Burnley FC are set to lose around £5 million in lost revenue from the remaining home games which in the event that the season finishes would be unlikely to be recouped owing to the likely prospect of these fixtures being played behind closed doors.

“In addition, the Clarets face missing out cash payments from the Premier League of up to £45 million in broadcasting revenue and other items if the season is not finished.

“It is believed that other clubs could be looking at up to a £100m shortfall.”

Burnley’s admission comes after yesterday’s stark warning from West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady in her SunSport column that clubs could be “ruined” by the current crisis.

Urging the PFA to reach an agreement on pay deferals, she said: “Across the country all football clubs’ operations have effectively ceased. There is no matchday revenue, no sale of season tickets for next season, no retail outlets open and online retail businesses have closed as it is not essential work.

“With no date for restarting the league, this is having severe financial implications. Without any revenue — and no games being played — how on earth do we ensure the ongoing business survives? And, take it from me, unless a pay cut is put in place a number of clubs will be ruined

The EPL is awash with money, tens of billions and more since SKY decided to make it the richest league in the World.
It is therefore both a disgrace and shameful that almost all of the clubs have no contingency for a rainy day. The riches they receive from one season disappear in the obscene wages and transfer fees the next.

The obscene riches at the elite level of football is a bubble waiting to burst and perhaps this virus might just hasten that downfall.

Not going to happen but I would love to see a massive realignment of football back towards its working class roots.

Maybe now those down south will realise how tinpot they really are. We are a big club and we'll have our difficulties through this also, but, at the end of the day...we are a giant institution compared to the majority of those diddies down there. We'll survive this. Happy others wont tbh.

For the money these clubs take it year after year it's quite embarrassing that they would run out of cash in August. In many ways I hope alot of the EPL clubs go bust. Spoiled self entitled c-nts

I hope they don’t go bust but there has to be a reality here. Thy aren’t a big club. They are a very small club in a big league.

There won’t be but I would hope this brings about a balance back into football.

Last year when spurs played Ajax in the semi final of the UCL and spurs were the bookies favourites it was just another example of the absurdity of modern money ball.

Spurs were not bookies favs to go through in that though, was deemed a coin toss by kick off on Betfair I’m sure. Spurs certainly weren’t strong favs. It was the first time Ajax had got out the Group Stages in 13 years as well.

Last edited:
If they say Burnley are well run and they don't spend huge amounts on transfers and wages, what's it going to be like for the other clubs that do!

The likes of Bournemouth will be toast if they can't get TV money for the next season. low crowds high costs. they are absolutely dependent on sky

The EPL is awash with money, tens of billions and more since SKY decided to make it the richest league in the World.
It is therefore both a disgrace and shameful that almost all of the clubs have no contingency for a rainy day. The riches they receive from one season disappear in the obscene wages and transfer fees the next.

The obscene riches at the elite level of football is a bubble waiting to burst and perhaps this virus might just hasten that downfall.

Not going to happen but I would love to see a massive realignment of football back towards its working class roots.
Football clubs will always spend every penny of their income to complete. All that sky has done is to make even the average player, very very rich

I can’t take any joy in any club (outside of this country) struggling after what we went through.

What the Burnley example shows me by hook or by crook this season is getting completed at some point. Personally I don’t understand how they are going to do it, but they’re going to find a way no matter what.

It won’t be popular but I also get fed up with those going on about how players should be furloughed, and how it’s disgusting they get paid so much more than NHS staff. The harsh realities are no club will furlough staff and breach their contract as it would potentially allow them to walk for free on breach of contract. That would be financial suicide for any club to consider.

On the second point on salaries only a very small percentage of people have the skill and ability to play football at the top level. Many more people could become nurses for example, so it’s basic economics that those with a rarer skill set will be paid more.

When you also have millions around the world who are prepared to watch them it’s not difficult to see their is no comparison, and some demands on players in recent days have reeked of jealousy.

The PFA have made a mess of this from a PR point of view and could have easily recommended a 20-30% temporary cut, but even then I think some people would want more and seem to be baying for blood.

It would a shame for any fan to lose their club, no matter which level they are at.
The thing that will stick in the throat is if/when the club's that are struggling and furloughing go straight back to making £20million signings seem like an everyday occurrence.

Stay safe and healthy to you all.

People are saying the TV companies should just pay but why should they. They are paying top dollar to secure those rights on the basis it will get them viewers. The minute this happened those viewers are calling up to cancel... No football...no payment.

The simplest thing to do would be for all parties to negotiate that 3 quarters of the season was played so you get that cash. Prize money is more difficult. If clubs want to keep their greedy players who will ditch them under these circumstances then they'll have to borrow against future earnings. It's not like they can't get a bank loan with that kind of revenue is it. Then cut their cloth accordingly.

People are losing their livelihoods over this pandemic and we need to listen to these snivelling millionaires complaining. It's pathetic.
I agree with paying a percentage but as I said earlier the TV companies wont lose out as millions of households have paid their satelite packages already. Will all those payers be offered a refund by the TV companies?

Back