Burnley chairman says they will go bust in august

I feel for the Burnley fans. It’s going to be a worrying, uncertain, time for them. We know what’s it like to come close to losing your club.

I don’t feel anything for the club though. They cared not a jot for the likes of us, Bury, etc. incredible mismanagement.
It isn't though because the last accounts showed they made something like £45million pound profit however given he circumstances if the TV money and prize money aren't paid because of Covid 19 then they are goosed.

I am living well within my means too but if I lost my job because of Covid 19 I'd be in trouble too. fortunately I'm a key worker so it won't happen but there but for the grace of god. And I would doubt that I'm the only one that would be in that position.

They've been coining it in from the EPL for several seasons now. How on earth have they only got money to last till August? That's horrendous mismanagement if true.
it's not really. every football club works off the same cycle. Burnley will have budgeted for either staying in the EPL or relegation to the championship, not for a pandemic. very little clubs have any cash left in the bank at the end of the season, including ours. edit: they have something like £47m cash in the bank, good management, it's just that the wages they usually can afford to pay are going to skin them without any TV revenue money, which won't kick off again till seasons are decided.

When all this is over football as we know it will be gone, I think that the UK will see the most change, the bringing together of clubs from other leagues is a thought, by invite, don't forget were are the fans going to find money for football, life will come first, above every thing.

I can sympathise with clubs that have problems (with some exceptions). After all we could have difficulties ourselves, unfortunately. My guess is that most clubs will be OK, one way or another.

BURNLEY chairman Mike Garlick has warned they will go BUST in August if the football lockdown has not ended by then.

The Clarets boss revealed they stand to lose £50MILLION if the current season is cancelled — and warned other Premier League clubs face losses of as much as £100M.

Garlick said the situation is so dire that his club — one of the best run in the top flight — will be potless later this summer unless the deadly Covid-19 pandemic has eased by then.

He said: “The fact of the matter is, if we don’t finish the season and there isn’t a clear start date for next season, we, as a club, will run out of money by August. That is a fact.

“I can’t speak for other clubs, I don’t know their financial positions.

“All I can speak for us our club and our position.

“That’s why we’re very determined that when of course it is safe to do so, we really want to finish this season.”

Garlick, speaking to Sky Sports News, added: “We voted unanimously to finish the season, so it’s clear everyone wants to get the job done.

It is crystal clear that finishing the season is by far the best outcome for all the Premier League clubs.”

The 20 Prem clubs still hope to complete the campaign, even if that means playing behind closed doors and cramming the remaining fixtures into the spell of a few weeks.

Yet the longer the lockdown goes on so long, the greater the fear they will eventually have to admit defeat and call if off.

That will cost top flight clubs a fortune in lost revenue – especially those without megarich benefactors – plus the possibility of having to repay TV money to rights holders.

In Burnley’s case that means around £5 million in lost revenue from the remaining home games.

Failure to finish the season means it is highly unlikely it could be recouped, owing to the likely prospect of these fixtures being played behind closed doors.

Missing out on cash payments from the Premier League would be a hit of up to £45 million in broadcasting revenue and other items, while for some others it could be double that.

Garlick continued: “It’s a completely unprecedented situation facing us and other Premier League clubs that no-one could have foreseen just a few weeks ago.

“It’s not just about Burnley, it’s the whole football ecosystem from the Premier League downwards and all the other businesses and communities that feed from that ecosystem.

“As a club, fans, staff members and a town, we are all in this together and I’m sure we can get through by sticking together and helping each other in every way possible.

“We all need to do our bit, however small.”

A Burnley statement added: The club is keen to be transparent with supporters, staff and stakeholders.

“It is therefore able to confirm that due to the continued suspension of Premier League games this presents some significant challenges for the football club.

“Burnley FC are set to lose around £5 million in lost revenue from the remaining home games which in the event that the season finishes would be unlikely to be recouped owing to the likely prospect of these fixtures being played behind closed doors.

“In addition, the Clarets face missing out cash payments from the Premier League of up to £45 million in broadcasting revenue and other items if the season is not finished.

“It is believed that other clubs could be looking at up to a £100m shortfall.”

Burnley’s admission comes after yesterday’s stark warning from West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady in her SunSport column that clubs could be “ruined” by the current crisis.

Urging the PFA to reach an agreement on pay deferals, she said: “Across the country all football clubs’ operations have effectively ceased. There is no matchday revenue, no sale of season tickets for next season, no retail outlets open and online retail businesses have closed as it is not essential work.

“With no date for restarting the league, this is having severe financial implications. Without any revenue — and no games being played — how on earth do we ensure the ongoing business survives? And, take it from me, unless a pay cut is put in place a number of clubs will be ruined
I can't wait to see the EPL and Sky collapse. It's greed beyond compare. It's been disgusting for a long time. The players actions and notes this. Week deserved karma

Sky's model is based on the EPL rights

Doubt they will let it unravel

That's what I find odd about this insistence that television income is driving the decision. Sky aren't going to walk from the EPL and demand refunds that crush the League. Surely they'd be open to negotiation.

Liverpool are effectively Champions. Not much excitement for Sky. Wrap up the season and start again.

I'd be very sorry if this came about, Burnley are my English club, having family ties there.
Condolences if this comes about,but...we are a FAR,bigger team than Burnley,geographically they are were the money is,Brighton,Bournemouth,tiny compared to our fan base and world reach.tv money keeps them on tv.give rangers Burnley's money per season,wow.no disrespect by the way.

If clubs in uk could only use there only revenue streams,the landscape would change dramatically,man u,run a continuous debt of 600 mill correct?mental.man city,middle league team then sugar daddy.

It would be a shame, Burnley aren’t a bad club. But the season will be cancelled. If your club goes bust, hey ho. No one gave a %^*& about my club in dark times, I don’t give a %^*& about any other club now.

Besides, you restart your season, we’ll restart ours. You cancel your season as null and void, we’ll do the same. I know what I’d rather.

So they have been reliant on TV dosh for however long? did they not have a contingency plan should, for talking sake, Sky went belly up? and a guy called Garlick? something doesn't smell right here:rolleyes:

It's rather Ironic they pitch towards china strips club mini-tournaments etc and ts the Chinese wet markets that might bring some to there knees and bankruptcy.

Crazy money in that league and nothing for a rainy day. The banks know the league and tv money will return so will probably be ok to deal with. Smaller clubs that don't have that tv money however.........

We always thought at some point that the EPL might implode, but not in this way..
When it gets back to normal (hopefully) maybe clubs will be a bit more prudent with wages and transfer fees.

The TV companies should be made to pay the money, it's exceptional circumstances that have put a stop to the football it's not like the club's just decided to stop playing.

I don't get why football players aren't being furloughed, why should they be any different than anyone else. Reading stories about not having enough pay for the doctors and nurses yet these privileges twats are still getting their £200k a week.

Maybe now people will realise who the real superstars are and start reassessing who should be on the big bucks. I doubt it

Knew the begging bowl would start to appear from certain EPL clubs before long - didn't expect Burnley to be the first and break ranks.

Wages are unsustainable in that league and the signing fees for even average players has shot through the roof these last few years. Gonna be carnage I think and it might be the only sporting entertainment we see for some time.

As somebody said earlier time for a recalibration in football and a rethink as to why clubs being handed tens of millions per year still don't have a pot to piss in.

Paying mediocre football players 6 figures per week just drains the game of money. The global impact of this virus is such that all businesses, SKY included, will see a major downward pressure on their revenues. Moreover, I really hope the general public begin to question the ethics of the current set up. To see how the game has reacted, with a few exceptions, has really shone a light on the values of professional players. Clearly, they exist in a bubble. Why anyone who is earning premiership money won't drop their wages for a few months is beyond me. Instead of 600k over 3 months, you get 300K...but guarantee your job. Think about that for minute.

Imagine being a business that gets hundreds of millions and you're going bust after a few months...

Sad for the fans during these times, but too many clubs live well outwith their means in the back of TV money. Instead of natural progression over many years, they all use the TV money to take on substantial debt in order to stay in the EPL.

It is a simple fact that if 'small' provincial clubs like Burnley - you could also add Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford - went out of business tomorrow, it would have little or no impact on the EPL. It would only become a serious issue if some of the heavy hitters from the top half of the table threatened to go belly up, such a scenario would seriously compromise the viability of the entire enterprise, undermining the league's marketability worldwide.

They've been coining it in from the EPL for several seasons now. How on earth have they only got money to last till August? That's horrendous mismanagement if true.

People know they have money. Wages , transfer fees , agents , everything gets inflated. They all end up relying on the money and when it goes , the bubble bursts.

No sympathy with any EPL club. In 1986 Rangers were able to sign the captain of England because we operated on a level playing field i.e. all clubs finances, England and Scotland, were mainly dependent on gate money. Sky TV changed that by paying ridiculous amounts to wee clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth, Norwich etc. Rangers were,are and always will be bigger than these clubs. About time we operated on a level playing field again. The best thing that can happen is that SKY, BT etc. don’t pay the ridiculous amounts they have in the past.

Absolutely shameful that 2 weeks into this horrible situation that the players, on a fortune, have not only volunteered to cut their money to save their clubs going bust, their standing back and letting the normal workers take the hit!!

Not wishing to see clubs go to the wall but provincial.clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth etc who have spent like they were Man U, were always going to get caught out if the TV cash was ever to dry up.

I’d like to hope that our players are prepared to take a cut, cause we are certainly not immune to this. I’ll be gutted if they don’t, and the staff get furloughed.

it's not really. every football club works off the same cycle. Burnley will have budgeted for either staying in the EPL or relegation to the championship, not for a pandemic. very little clubs have any cash left in the bank at the end of the season, including ours. edit: they have something like £47m cash in the bank, good management, it's just that the wages they usually can afford to pay are going to skin them without any TV revenue money, which won't kick off again till seasons are decided.

Bang on. People in general seem to have very little understanding of how a business runs and the effects of cash flow.

Just because of the figures swilling about the EPL, it doesnt mean anyone is sitting "wae pure mullions in ra bank"

I think the party line in the Scottish media has maybe co fused people on that matter.

Burnley will be in no much of a better or worse position than pretty much all the teams.

I also couldnt give two hoots if they or anyone else goes bust when people are dying in their tens of thousands.

The contract would also state the salary I'm pretty sure so unless they were paid that salary then surely the contract is null and void.

Employees on furlough are entitled to take up another job if they wish. Most employees won't as long as their Furlough pay is decent. Footballers are obviously different and them getting £2.5k per month isn't going to keep them
Where would they find other employment though?

giphy.gif

I find it amazing with all the money in this league that within a few months and yhese clubs could be finished.

Wonder if the EPL chiefs will accept an early application for spots left vacant by teams going bust? Get us out of the corrupt shit show in Scotland.

Annual wage bill 87 million that figure is everything that is wrong with modern football mind bllowing the wages that are getting paid to mediocre footballers,staggering!

I don't see why clubs should be paying players all their wages when they aren't working tbh. They are going to have to take a hit like the rest of us who can't work from home from home or there aren't going to be as many clubs around to get cushy contracts at.

Back