Cake chaos - copper demoted for football banter over birthday cake

mdingwall

Administrator
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/devastated-top-cops-career-tatters-11545665

Celtic birthday cake bigotry row cop demoted over Rangers 'banter' claim
High-flying Ruth Gilfillan was booted down three ranks with fellow officers split over her treatment.
police.jpg

A row over a Celtic cake saw Rangers fan Ruth Gilfillan demoted from rank of Detective Chief Inspector (Image: Mark Anderson/Daily Record)
A senior detective at the centre of a religious bigotry row has been demoted to constable after an inquiry.

Detective Chief Inspector Ruth Gilfillan was one of Police Scotland’s most highly rated rising stars at the time of the incident in August 2015.

But after a colleague complained about a sectarian remark, she has lost three ranks and faces a massive financial penalty.

Friends say that she has been “absolutely devastated” by the demotion ruling.

040914_SOCAOfficer_05.jpg

Gilfillan was elite cop at the head of Police Scotland’s human trafficking unit. (Image: Mark Anderson)
At the time of the incident, mother-of-four Gilfillan was head of Police Scotland’s human trafficking unit.

The 45-year-old law and politics graduate will see her salary plummet from £55,000 a year to £38,000.

And it means she could lose as much as £100,000 in future pension payments when she retires.

The row erupted after one of a group of colleagues in her company had a Celtic birthday cake.

Gilfillan exchanged banter about refusing to eat the detective’s cake.

But she was also accused of making a joke about children being at risk of abuse in Catholic schools.

She was informed of the demotion decision at a disciplinary hearing earlier this month.

Gilfillan refused to comment but a friend said: “She is devastated by the decision and is struggling to come to terms with it.

“She understands that what she said was wrong and she is extremely apologetic.

“She wanted to say sorry in person to her fellow officer at the outset but was advised not to by the people carrying out the investigation.

“Ruth Gilfillan is highly respected as a detective by people she has worked with from all religious backgrounds. She is almost universally popular.

JS71547368.jpg

How we reported it at the time
“The remark that she made was wrong but Ruth and the majority of her colleagues believe the
punishment was excessive.

“There is also disquiet about the way the investigation was carried out, with the deliberation taking just over an hour.”

Gilfillan initially faced a criminal charge but that was dropped and she did not appear in court.

It is understood the charge against her at the disciplinary hearing was conduct unbecoming of a police officer.

The Scottish Police Federation said yesterday that they plan to appeal the decision by senior officers to demote her.

The row has caused a rift between officers, with many of Gilfillan’s colleagues believing she has been harshly treated.

The colleague who made the complaint has been relocated following a backlash from other officers.

Another source said: “It is a really bad case and has caused a real split among a group of officers who were very close.

“The person who made the complaint has suffered as well in career terms.

“It is understandable that a complaint was made. But the feeling is that it could have been handled better.

“Ruth is a big Rangers fan and everyone in the force is aware of this.

“Ruth apologised and was deeply sorry.

“She regularly worked 80 hours a week and was involved in numerous murder inquiries.

“This is an officer who has been dedicated to her job.

JS136746696.jpg

Row was sparked over remarks about a Celtic birthday cake
“She accepts that what she said was wrong but her punishment is too severe.”

Gilfillan led a team of officers who targeted prostitution and modern-day slavery and has been involved in operations against firms and individuals who are suspected of using smuggled workers.

While at the helm, she changed how the force dealt with people trafficking and made Police Scotland proactively identify victims while targeting organised crime groups.

She also introduced a policy that women working in the sex industry were no longer to be automatically arrested.

She has been ordered out of the elite Scottish Crime Campus in Gartcosh, Lanarkshire, and is thought to be performing administrative duties at the force’s HQ in Glasgow’s Dalmarnock.

Another source said: “Ruth made a difference while she was a detective.

“She worked hard and was always willing to learn. Ruth is a tough cop and had her run-ins with other officers over the years.”

Police Scotland have repeatedly stated their determination to tackle sectarian abuse and
offensive behaviour.

A Crown Office spokesman said yesterday: “The procurator fiscal received a report concerning a 43-year-old woman in relation to an alleged incident on August 20, 2015.

“After careful consideration of all of the available evidence, Crown counsel instructed that there was insufficient evidence in law to take criminal proceedings in the case.”

TNP_SDR_040615Copshop_01JPG.jpg

Police Scotland HQ in Dalmarnock, Glasgow (Image: Daily Record)
It is understood that after prosecution was ruled out, the Crown Office then referred the case back to senior officers at Police Scotland for possible disciplinary action.

David Kennedy, deputy general secretary of the Scottish Police Federation, said yesterday: “The Scottish Police Federation will be appealing the decision on behalf of Constable Ruth Gilfillan.”

It is understood that Gilfillan’s appeal will be heard by an assistant chief constable within the next 60 days.

If the decision is upheld, she can then take her challenge against the demotion to the police appeals tribunal.

Police Scotland said last night: “This matter remains a live internal conduct process and as such, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

The allegations against Gilfillan were investigated by the Police Scotland Professional Standards Unit (PSU). They are responsible for probing allegations of misconduct by police officers and support staff.

The PSU also investigate complaints made by the public about officers and handle cases where potential criminal behaviour has already been established.

Their role is different from that of the controversial former Counter Corruption Unit, now called the Anti-Corruption Unit.

They investigate allegations against officers and police staff suspected of being involved in criminal behaviour or organised crime.

After the allegation of sectarianism was made against Gilfillan, all witnesses to the alleged remarks were interviewed.

Wow. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot which I’m pretty sure it has been.

Last edited:
Absolutely pathetic stuff. Whilst not knowing exactly what was said or condoning it (she is clearly apologetic) perhaps someone should ask the question over the choice of cake if things are going to get this petty. Clearly it would create a talking point and some awkwardness between people. Someones judgement should be called into question.

my brother in his old job got pulled for having banter with one of them a few years ago. even though my brother laughed off the other guys banter as you would do, the other guy went the other way and reported him for being sectarian.

this is why I have very few if any celtic minded mates either at work or at home! snakes the lot of them!

Remember this twat

https://www.change.org/p/the-ranger...the-police-federation-over-scottish-cup-final

But Calum Steele, of the Scottish Police Federation, told Good Morning Scotland that the police response was "nothing short of remarkable".

He said: "The speed and the skill, the agility and indeed the brilliance with which the police officers from the police service of Scotland brought events under control is something that should be praised to the highest heavens."

Why is he still in a job

Their must be more to it. I don't believe that someone would suffer that for banter.
Unfortunately it’s Police Scotland. You cannot get away with any form of banter.

It is full of hunks who wish to complain at the drop of a hat.

I was informed she is a very quiet unassuming person who tried to have a joke with her colleagues but as usual a vicTIM complained. There is no room for manoeuvre or backtracking. Once said there are people only too willing to complain.

The old saying, Know Your Audience, was not adhered to by her. Cost her a lot

This is ridiculous but hardly surprising in this day & age. You can't have a debate about anything deemed offensive because if you're getting the better of the argument & don't agree with the alt left viewpoint (I think that's what they're called), instantly you're a bigot/racist/LGBTQIA+'ophobe or any other negative term they decide to label you.
They'll scream from the rooftops to garner maximum attention to make you look as worse as possible. Then if it goes any further down complaints paths, decision makers are so shit scared to offend anyone themselves that they bow down to it. It's just too much hastle.
You just need to take a look at the whole gender pronoun laws in Canada. The tails truly wagging the dog.

my brother in his old job got pulled for having banter with one of them a few years ago. even though my brother laughed off the other guys banter as you would do, the other guy went the other way and reported him for being sectarian.

this is why I have very few if any celtic minded mates either at work or at home! snakes the lot of them!
That's the craic remember only they have the right to be offended and decide what is offensive also thems the rules.

To the person who complained, I'd watch your step but then, If you get offended by a jibe about a birthday cake then you'll probably have barely the basic social skills to interact with normal people.

To the ones making their complaint, they have ruined what on paper seems a talented and proactive copper's career and cost her financially all over a cake. Yes a fucking cake!

If she or any of her colleagues are ever in the misfortune of a life or death situation, imagine having to rely on a hunk like that for back up and support. Their religion and football time would come before anything else. Their is only one bigot in this tale I'm afraid.

Thank god for the our armed forces and their dedication to each other no matter their religion, race or colour.

Once she admitted her behaviour as a police officer was wrong it was end game for her.

Gilfillan refused to comment but a friend said: “She is devastated by the decision and is struggling to come to terms with it.

“She understands that what she said was wrong and she is extremely apologetic.

It seems like that particular cake has been brought in looking for someone to make comment on it. Anybody having an old firm cake in a working environment should expect comments from the other side, light hearted or not.
She should have kept quiet as these feckers will pounce at every opportunity!!

Feck me a joke which let's be honest has reasonable argument given the hundreds of thousands of legal written evidence of abuse.
The minute they are reminded about home truths they go all falling down.
How can this sort of punishment stand up in Scottish law?

As previous poster said the minute she admits she is wrong is her downfall.
I'm sure a certain rangers minded QC would have helped her out as the factual evidence is staggering. So making a colloquial joke yes may be offensive but a joke none the less

This underlines the mentality of the poets. Those at the top of the food chain are spineless, offendable, cowardly and petty.

If the Police are cowardly grasses, then what are the rest of their type?

Disgusting club from top to bottom.

Their must be more to it. I don't believe that someone would suffer that for banter.

I know someone who was given a written warning (in one of the big banks) for putting "WATP" at the bottom of an email autoresponder which was to inform colleagues he was off to Manchester for the UEFA Cup Final, so it's quite believable something like this would blow up out of all proportion, especially the way (and by whom) Police Scotland is run.

I have been told that it was a fat pricks birthday and for a laugh they got the wallflower a Septic cake. She was asked if she wanted a piece and she made some wee funny comment. The said fat prick is a Shettleston and she had reason to take issue with his work or lack of it. He was looking for an excuse apparently. He didn't make issue at the time.

I definitely would though. :D

mentally challengeds are part of the new LGBT, BAME etc protection in this shithole.

The woman was extremely stupid. She should have never admitted to anything. I’m afraid Ive no sympathy because of that. Scum sticks together.

I heard that she used the f word. It rhymed with green yin.

It was all taken in good heart till a few weeks later she denied a promotion to the female partner (his bird) of the guy she said it to.

Then a complaint was made.

This sort of story indicates that divisions are being reinforced by identity politics and cultural Stalinism rather than broken down.

There was another case recently of a guy being fired from BAE for a similar 'offence'.

The only safe course of action for Rangers-supporting employees is to restrict dialogue with their Celtic-supporting colleagues to the bare minimum and never say anything that could be held against them.

On another note, this is further evidence that Police Scotland seems to be disintegrating.

Back