Call for pilot schemes to allow fans to drink alcohol at football in England

luckywhitefeather

Be interesting to see where this goes, any movement from government to sanction it

For lower league clubs will be a good source of revenue , although further up the league , will fans still pay for hospitality / boxes etc if they can just get a drink with regular seats

People who want to enforce and make decisions on these things should have to attend games as an average punter for a month at the same ground and see how people behave before they can make a decision on these things.

Selling bottles of beer that would be weak as piss would make no difference at all to how people act at a game of football.

I thought you could drink down er.

When I was at old Trafford in 2011 the concourse advertised hotdogs and bottle of Corona although as it was Rangers we were not allowed the drink part lol

Hopefully not, if you have ever sat beside a drunk at football it isn't fun.

I sat beside a guy who tried to sleep on my shoulder before and another guy who took his shoe off and then subsequently lost it. (I was laughing).

So in short no alcohol at the games as folk can't be trusted like above.

Hopefully not, if you have ever sat beside a drunk at football it isn't fun.

I sat beside a guy who tried to sleep on my shoulder before and another guy who took his shoe off and then subsequently lost it. (I was laughing).

So in short no alcohol at the games as folk can't be trusted like above.
Aye you never see people drunk at football with the current rules to be fair

Aye you never see people drunk at football with the current rules to be fair

My points obviously include the current rules.

Don't exacerbate the situation by giving the folk who take it too far even further.

It's disappointing for the guys (including myself) who would like a pint with his mates prior or half time in the stadium and gives extra revenue.

Don't exacerbate the situation by giving the folk who take it too far even further.

It's disappointing for the guys (including myself) who would like a pint with his mates prior or half time in the stadium and gives extra revenue.
The folk who do that are taking in bottles of Vodka, Dragon Soup, 20/20 if they are of a classier taste anyway, a bottle of beer isn't going to make a difference, or in some cases will likely curve what is taken on board before going in.

Chuck in time to wait for a beer, cost would likely be excessive, there is hardly the chance to get "that" much more steaming in a ground when bevvy is actually on offer.

They could easily make it that a pint is scanned against your season ticket, 1 or 2 pint maximum and if caught in a drunken mess you could be banned for rest of season.

It could easily be managed.

People who want to enforce and make decisions on these things should have to attend games as an average punter for a month at the same ground and see how people behave before they can make a decision on these things.

Selling bottles of beer that would be weak as piss would make no difference at all to how people act at a game of football.
I’ve been to old Trafford where plastic bottles of tepid bud are sold.
in all honesty it’s just not worth buying never mind actually drinking.

Can't see it happening, football fans are generally white working class so the government won't do us any favours in England or up here . It's clickbait.

Went to England V Turkey at the Etihad years back , got knocked back from 2 bars sober as anything before even having a drink "no football people allowed". But like I say white working class so it's not seen as discrimination

It’ll never happen up here.

Just take a pocket rocket in like everyone else!
Majority of fans have got a drink in them anyway imo it's always packed to even get a pie it won't do any harm if they do it here I prob wouldn't buy a pint from them just based on how bad all the food etc is anyways :))

The folk who do that are taking in bottles of Vodka, Dragon Soup, 20/20 if they are of a classier taste, a bottle of beer isn't going to make a difference, or in some cases will likely curve what is taken on board before going in.

I doubt that, we're Scottish we get greedy with alcohol there is a huge problem with it at a national level.

It is disappointing as you look at other cultures who have no where near the issues.

There's a reason it was banned outdoors in 1995, again the minority take away our fun.

drinking at Ibrox during the Rugby 7's at the commonwealth games was great, had a fantastic day out and apart from functions, even then, it might have been the longest ive been in Ibrox.

I doubt that, we're Scottish we get greedy with alcohol there is a huge problem with it at a national level.

It is disappointing as you look at other cultures who have no where near the issues.

There's a reason it was banned outdoors in 1995, again the minority take away our fun.
that happens with absolutely everything in life, government reacts to the minority and bans shit.

I think you are making a massive stereotype here bud,

I accept there are people who go to games and get utterly steaming but that happens already,

There are also a good 97% of fans who attend games and would just kick back with a casual couple of beers at best.

I would expect it would have next to no impact on how games are attended, viewed and how fans behave now anyway.

They could easily make it that a pint is scanned against your season ticket, 1 or 2 pint maximum and if caught in a drunken mess you could be banned for rest of season.

It could easily be managed.

On paper your theory would work to a degree and again guys like us would love a beer talking about the game at HT with pals.

But come on its Scotland folk take the pish (pardon the pun) and it wouldn't be managed to the degree you would like it, the security aren't worth their wage.

Slightly misleading headline on OP.

Should read ‘while watching football’.

Alcohol is sold at every sports ground in England.

Only, you can’t have a view of the pitch whilst holding or drinking an alcoholic drink.

This law applies whether a match is in progress or not.

:)

You can buy alcohol and drink it in the concourses at English matches already.. you can’t take your drink into the stand (although you can at rugby).

I think that no beer in the stands at football is no bad thing in some ways. It would be lovely to sit with a beer during the game (we did this in Vienna in the Europa League match a couple of years ago) but when a goal goes in and the fans go mental in the stands then there’ll be beer flying everywhere. Not a fan of that.

Last edited:
I think you are making a massive stereotype here bud,

I accept there are people who go to games and get utterly steaming but that happens already,

There are also a good 97% of fans who attend games and would just kick back with a casual couple of beers at best.

I would expect it would have next to no impact on how games are attended, viewed and how fans behave now anyway.

And that's why I wouldn't appreciate the chance for them to get more.

It's a bummer for guys who just want one or two and never act out of line but the clowns would take it to the max.

Sad stain on our society.

Hugh Keevins is spot on when it comes to this sort of thing. Scottish football fans can't be trusted to drink at games.

And that's why I wouldn't appreciate the chance for them to get more.

Folks reach a stage of steaming a couple of warm, weak over priced beers aren't going to make any difference to them.

Beer at football isn't even remotely like being in a pub and just being able to sit and gub an endless stream of pints.

Hugh Keevins is spot on when it comes to this sort of thing. Scottish football fans can't be trusted to drink at games.
No need to tar everyone with the same brush, there was 900 odd seats in Bar 72 and most folk had a drink without a problem., some people just get drunk before the games and then act the lady's front bottom anyway and the amount of empty half Bucky bottles in the stadium is crazy.

Its 2021, society is trying its hardest against racism, sexuality, discrimination etc yet football fans get constantly battered.

I went to a game in Germany and it was class, proper big bratwurst hotdog and a few pints watching the game, miles ahead of us

No need to tar everyone with the same brush, there was 900 odd seats in Bar 72 and most folk had a drink without a problem., some people just get drunk before the games and then act the lady's front bottom anyway and the amount of empty half Bucky bottles in the stadium is crazy.

Its 2021, society is trying its hardest against racism, sexuality, discrimination etc yet football fans get constantly battered.

I went to a game in Germany and it was class, proper big bratwurst hotdog and a few pints watching the game, miles ahead of us

In Germany a guy finishes work in a suit and walks into a shop buys a beer for the way home on the tram. No one even blinks. No issues or ababuse. If a guy done that here he would be frowned aponsitying with a beer.

Imagine that in Glasgow. No me either the neds and idiots would be abusing that.

Different culture towards alcohol, scotland has tried hard but it can't shake it.

I can be guilty of abusing alcohol when "on it" too.

I love drinking, probably more than most. Have to say I don't miss it one bit when sitting watching a match and I don't see the enjoyment in chugging a pint of piss water in to you in 5 minutes at half time in England either. I'd rather they lifted laws on football fans drinking on supporters busses instead to be honest.

Maybe it would stop folk firing in before the game as they will know they can get a drink inside?

Heard that snivelling little prick Jim White talking about this an hour or so ago on Talksport.

He is not in favour of it and just because Rugby and Cricket fans get to do it doesn’t mean football fans should :rolleyes:

I love drinking, probably more than most. Have to say I don't miss it one bit when sitting watching a match and I don't see the enjoyment in chugging a pint of piss water in to you in 5 minutes at half time in England either. I'd rather they lifted laws on football fans drinking on supporters busses instead to be honest.
You wouldn’t need to chug it if you could take it to your seat which is what they are proposing

Would bring much need revenue to the game up here.

Might prevent the guys that head off at half-time to the pub or down a half bottle in the toilets before kick-off.

We’d need more tables in our concourses for the drinks and think it would be too tight to be honest but who knows.

It’s 2021 football clubs should be allowed to serve drink in the concourses in Scotland the money they are losing out on is unreal.

And no offence to the louden or wee Rangers but I’d rather drink a pint in the concourse 2 min before the team came out!

What time would you need to start queueing at to get a pint at half time :oops:

That's true. I wasted 15minutes getting to front of que on wed night to be told no cash and ha no card on me hahaha I was raging.

I could only imagine the rage if I had a drink in me, waited 20mins to be told no beers left hahaha

That's true. I wasted 15minutes getting to front of que on wed night to be told no cash and ha no card on me hahaha I was raging.

I could only imagine the rage if I had a drink in me, waited 20mins to be told no beers left hahaha
I go down to Turf Moor sometimes and there's never really a problem. I'll go down maybe 43 mins and have ample time to sink a pint before second half. Just can't see it running that like that at Ibrox. Don't think it's anything to do with different drinking cultures either. From my experience Lancashire has just as much booze bags as up here.

While at the same time he'll tell you about those amazing European nights at the paedodome or how wonderful the tartan army are.

While at the same time he'll tell you about those amazing European nights at the paedodome or how wonderful the tartan army are.

Irrelevant really.

Scottish culture has a problem with drink. A lot of people can't just have one or two they need to get absolutely smashed.

If clubs were allowed to sell booze inside the stadium then they'd be directly responsible for a lot of the behaviour - whether that be our songbook or people fighting amongst each other etc.

Irrelevant really.

Scottish culture has a problem with drink. A lot of people can't just have one or two they need to get absolutely smashed.

If clubs were allowed to sell booze inside the stadium then they'd be directly responsible for a lot of the behaviour - whether that be our songbook or people fighting amongst each other etc.
Scottish culture?

Explain every other sporting event and concerts?

I'm the same guy at The Emirates watching basketball, Hockey at Braehead, Rugby at Murrayfield or a band at The Hydro.

Why do we accept being treated as scum in a football stadium?

Scottish culture?

I'm the same guy at The Emirates watching basketball, Hockey at Braehead, Rugby at Murrayfield or a band at The Hydro.

60,000 Scottish people could stand at Murrayfield for about 4 hours before the game kicks off and get utterly shit faced on pints and spirits if they wanted, a lot of them do. A hell of a lot more people go to the Rugby for a piss up than the football

Scottish culture?

Ok I'll rephrase that then...how many sectarian incidents and general anti-social behaviour incidents happen at the basketball / ice hockey etc compared to football?

No point burying our heads in the sand. Some fans can't be trusted to go to a game for 90 minutes and behave...they ruin it for those who can.

60,000 Scottish people could stand at Murrayfield for about 4 hours before the game kicks off and get utterly shit faced on pints and spirits if they wanted, a lot of them do. A hell of a lot more people go to the Rugby for a piss up than the football
And they can do it when it's Scotland v England without any bother.

Any bear at Murrayfield when we played Hearts will vouch for how well policed it was.
A significant, visible police presence but left us to just enjoy the day.

Ok I'll rephrase that then...how many sectarian incidents and general anti-social behaviour incidents happen at the basketball / ice hockey etc compared to football?

No point burying our heads in the sand. Some fans can't be trusted to go to a game for 90 minutes and behave...they ruin it for those who can.
Aye some fans, the same as some fans are arseholes on the drink at every other event.

I've seen it at concerts and hockey, the arrests, drugs and fighting at Transmit are well documented.

I get the point you're trying to make, but people will behave like scum on the drink if that's how they behave.
It shouldn't mean a blanket ban for the overwhelming majority who can behave.

Felt dirty liking anything that old cretin has to say but he's not wrong. Can't be trusted.

Back