Call for pilot schemes to allow fans to drink alcohol at football in England

Would be a money spinner up here, daft rules like that hold our football back.

Mental you can go to Murrayfield and get the full works but walk down the road to Tynecastle and can’t get a pint.

It’s classism.

I'd actually be open to it being trialed at all other SPL clubs bar us and that lot for a full season if that's what it would take to move the needle on it.

I think that no beer in the stands at football is no bad thing in some ways. It would be lovely to sit with a beer during the game (we did this in Vienna in the Europa League match a couple of years ago) but when a goal goes in and the fans go mental in the stands then there’ll be beer flying everywhere. Not a fan of that.
I was just about to post this, Imagine a last minute goal in a derby. A shower of beer for everyone!

Aye some fans, the same as some fans are arseholes on the drink at every other event.

I've seen it at concerts and hockey, the arrests, drugs and fighting at Transmit are well documented.

I get the point you're trying to make, but people will behave like scum on the drink if that's how they behave.
It shouldn't mean a blanket ban for the overwhelming majority who can behave.

I don't disagree, but football is an easy target - especially us and especially when it comes to the sectarianism industry.

You can drink at Scottish football grounds right now but you need to pay through the roof for that luxury. If you're in hospitality or Bar 72 then you can drink. Seems unfair on your average fan who can't afford those luxuries.

There is absolutely no reason why fans shouldn't be allowed to have a drink in the concourse one hour before kick-off and then at halftime. I don't think it would lead to any great drunken disorder. These fans who want to drink will be drinking in the pubs beforehand anyway and this would be a way to take that money from the pubs and give it to the club.

Heard that snivelling little prick Jim White talking about this an hour or so ago on Talksport.

He is not in favour of it and just because Rugby and Cricket fans get to do it doesn’t mean football fans should :rolleyes:
I go to both rugby and cricket matches regularly and the amount of alcoholic drink consumed there can be olympian! (Not by me though.)

How about this:

Alcohol Passports for Football
If you can prove you regularly attend either rugby or cricket matches you can apply for an Alcohol Passport for Football.

A QR code ensures you can get served in the proposed Ibrox Taverns in the concourses.

This ensures that the pure football fan will not get access to alcohol which is well known to incite riotous assembly.

Only a regular dosing of rugby or cricket viewing will cure the football disease.

Well, this is what the Scottish Government seems to think.

:rolleyes:

I like a beer but I don't get the attraction of sitting drinking out of a plastic cup while watching the game in our baltic weather.
If the Club can provide decent facilities I wouldn't mind a trial of being able to have a pint for a period before and after the game.

There is zero chance of this under the snp scum in Scotland. They have introduced controlled hours and minimum unit pricing, neither of which address the issue and both of which punish us all because they can’t tackle the societal issues behind alcoholism.

Be interesting to see where this goes, any movement from government to sanction it

For lower league clubs will be a good source of revenue , although further up the league , will fans still pay for hospitality / boxes etc if they can just get a drink with regular seats

A good idea in principle, but some drunken clowns will make sure this doesn't become permanent, unfortunately.

No idea what domestic football is like in England. But up here. No thanks. Far to many arseholes attend football up here. Across the board.

I think you are making a massive stereotype here bud,

I accept there are people who go to games and get utterly steaming but that happens already,

There are also a good 97% of fans who attend games and would just kick back with a casual couple of beers at best.

I would expect it would have next to no impact on how games are attended, viewed and how fans behave now anyway.
I agree that a beer would be nice at HT to catch up with people that you only see at the games. The issue would be where in the concourses do you stand and have this pint without getting the 3% jumping all over the shop and ruining it for the people looking to have a relaxed pint.

You can drink at Scottish football grounds right now but you need to pay through the roof for that luxury. If you're in hospitality or Bar 72 then you can drink. Seems unfair on your average fan who can't afford those luxuries.

There is absolutely no reason why fans shouldn't be allowed to have a drink in the concourse one hour before kick-off and then at halftime. I don't think it would lead to any great drunken disorder. These fans who want to drink will be drinking in the pubs beforehand anyway and this would be a way to take that money from the pubs and give it to the club.
Where in our concourses around the ground are we all standing having a beer. No room to move passing through from the kiosk to the toilet. Infrastructure seems a problem to me.

I agree that a beer would be nice at HT to catch up with people that you only see at the games. The issue would be where in the concourses do you stand and have this pint without getting the 3% jumping all over the shop and ruining it for the people looking to have a relaxed pint.

Manage it easy enough standing eating scran now and then, seems to be managed easy enough in England, at grounds that won't have the concourse space Ibrox does.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see where this goes, any movement from government to sanction it

For lower league clubs will be a good source of revenue , although further up the league , will fans still pay for hospitality / boxes etc if they can just get a drink with regular seats

20 years ago I was at Ajax Amsterdam arena and you HAD to drink you’re alcohol in your seat, not huddled in a concourse trying to neck a couple of pints in a rammed concourse. 10 years ago I was at Murray field (egg chasers) and you HAD to drink your alcohol at your seat.
It’s distain and snobbery by the uk government. I guarantee if ministers watched football instead of rugby and cricket this would have been addressed decades ago.

There is zero chance of this under the snp scum in Scotland. They have introduced controlled hours and minimum unit pricing, neither of which address the issue and both of which punish us all because they can’t tackle the societal issues behind alcoholism.
100% this

You can buy a beer before kick off and at half time, so not being able to drink it at your seat is nonsense anyway.
This,ive been to a few games in England you can drink all game if you want just cant take to your seat never seen a problem,not a hope in hell the snpatzis would allow this up here no chance they wouldnt even consider it for a second.

No thanks. Sitting next to bangers who are drunk is a massive pain in the arse.

Also, if you can’t go 90 minutes without a drink then you have bigger things to worry about

I very rarely bother with a drink at the ground as the novelty wore off years ago. I stand on the terrace at Accy so wouldn't fancy beer in a plastic glass anyway as most would probably get spilled if anything happens.

Hopefully not, if you have ever sat beside a drunk at football it isn't fun.

I sat beside a guy who tried to sleep on my shoulder before and another guy who took his shoe off and then subsequently lost it. (I was laughing).

So in short no alcohol at the games as folk can't be trusted like above.
They got hammered beforehand obviously and I doubt someone that drunk would get served

Hugh Keevins is spot on when it comes to this sort of thing. Scottish football fans can't be trusted to drink at games.
What about journalists? Hardly a collection of pond life known for its sobriety.

You can't tell me the ill-informed, lying drivel that oozes from their laptops are produced without the consumption of lots of alcohol.

They got hammered beforehand obviously and I doubt someone that drunk would get served
Someone that drunk shouldn't get in but they do so I doubt getting served would be a problem. They would probably get someone else to buy it anyway

No thanks. Sitting next to bangers who are drunk is a massive pain in the arse.

Also, if you can’t go 90 minutes without a drink then you have bigger things to worry about
It’s not about providing alcohol to pissheads who cannot wait 2 hours, it’s offering a service to all fans and a revenue stream to the club.

It’s up to staff to cut off drunk fans as pubs would.

Selling booze in the ground will not encourage those who wouldn’t otherwise drink, to drink.

Where in our concourses around the ground are we all standing having a beer. No room to move passing through from the kiosk to the toilet. Infrastructure seems a problem to me.
As an example, the concourses at Loftus Road are pretty narrow and the QPR fans manage to drink beer there just fine.

I thought you could down there, didn’t realise you couldn’t take it to your seat. Don’t know if I would like to see it up here, you would be forever standing up to let people by to use the toilet once that seal has been broken :)

Back