Call out for 'Boss' musicians

The lad Stephen Dean who sung those 2 songs Edmiston Drive and Majestic which are on YouTube is a very good singer and those 2 songs deserve more of an airing as they are absolutely perfect for this type of doo. There has got to be others in the support who are decent singers and play guitar who are up for this surely?
Stephen was one of the musicians I did have. He is fully booked

And another interested musician. The common concern is that it could sway away from the Rangers only material which would be a no no for me and the musicians. The good thing is they choose the songs. Would hate for this to be an issue. Hell bent that it ain't!!

I think the main issue here now is that the reason Boss Nights was successful was they already had a following with their magazine before they started these gigs and it was all young guys. Plus it became an underground movement which piggybacked on the success of the team last season and then peaked with them reaching the CL final vs Madrid.

Momentum and timing is key with things like this. Last summer from when Gerrard was appointed to us reaching the group stages of Europa League would have been an ideal time for it. Not at the end of a football season.

I hope this works but I think it’s becoming a bit too manufactured. Would love to be proved wrong but our support isn’t the same as Liverpool’s and sadly I can’t see it taking off.

I think the main issue here now is that the reason Boss Nights was successful was they already had a following with their magazine before they started these gigs and it was all young guys. Plus it became an underground movement which piggybacked on the success of the team last season and then peaked with them reaching the CL final vs Madrid.

Momentum and timing is key with things like this. Last summer from when Gerrard was appointed to us reaching the group stages of Europa League would have been an ideal time for it. Not at the end of a football season.

I hope this works but I think it’s becoming a bit too manufactured. Would love to be proved wrong but our support isn’t the same as Liverpool’s and sadly I can’t see it taking off.
I agree with the main point of your post. Boss already had a great following through the Mag and the core of their numbers was already there. Manufactured, I agree with 100%, mainly because that is what it is.

They key to this being a success is the quality of the product. If we get good musicians, who can provide a good mix of songs that can entertain people, then it can be a success. Rangers fans who enjoy a gig, going along to enjoy good music, with the added bonus of Rangers songs and being surrounded by bears. Ultimately, it is an alternative to a sash bash, which are readily available and successful.

You mention timing and the Euro success being an ideal time. I think last Sunday's victory could be as good a positive as anything. The enthusiasm within the support right now is very encouraging. Most people I know can't wait for the new season to start. Contrast that to a few weeks ago, they couldn't wait for it to end.

When we get a date sorted and advertise for sales, that will be the Acid test. If the demand is healthy, the enthusiasm will be too. I know many like you would love this to be a success.

Good luck WBD.

I'd ensure you intersperse the songs with some singalong chants. You know what it's like in a gig, when the band play some new stuff everyone loses interest. I don't think our support is renowned for it's patience!

Make sure you go heavy with the singalong stuff at first (of which we've got plenty of great songs over the decades) and then it gives you the chance to drip feed new songs through it. Just my tuppence worth.

Good luck WBD.

I'd ensure you intersperse the songs with some singalong chants. You know what it's like in a gig, when the band play some new stuff everyone loses interest. I don't think our support is renowned for it's patience!

Make sure you go heavy with the singalong stuff at first (of which we've got plenty of great songs over the decades) and then it gives you the chance to drip feed new songs through it. Just my tuppence worth.
Cheers OT, appreciate EVERY bit of advice sir. I agree the people like a sing song, after all that is why they are there. Will ensure they have that opportunity. Also the idea is every new song will be recorded beforehand to ensure the people know the words. Mix traditional with new and some of the musicians preferred choice of their own stuff or popular songs. As you say, need to get the mix right.

Starting to sound promising mate!

Think i mentioned it in a previous thread but i think it would also be good if you could get a hand out from someone with a bit of graphic design experience to help with the advertising. The stuff Liverpool (i know that feels like a constant comparison but they are the bench mark) come up with really adds something too it i feel.

Sure there are plenty of people about who could help especially on “Rangers Twitter”.

Think i mentioned it in a previous thread but i think it would also be good if you could get a hand out from someone with a bit of graphic design experience to help with the advertising. The stuff Liverpool (i know that feels like a constant comparison but they are the bench mark) come up with really adds something too it i feel.

Sure there are plenty of people about who could help especially on “Rangers Twitter”.
Good point. We really do need to come up with a Boss name alternative 1st

There have been others asking. We are starting to get some positive movement

It's taking my off now mate. I have quite a few up for it now. This will happen.

Would try and get it advertised in the papers pal, just email a few about it and see if any pick up on it, always worth a try to get the word out. Venue for this you're probably looking for somewhere max 5,000 standing capacity to start off. Can see this being a massive hit.

Would try and get it advertised in the papers pal, just email a few about it and see if any pick up on it, always worth a try to get the word out. Venue for this you're probably looking for somewhere max 5,000 standing capacity to start off. Can see this being a massive hit.
5000?! :oops::oops::oops::eek:

Wee Rangers will suffice for the moment :D

Good point. We really do need to come up with a Boss name alternative 1st

Yeah true mate!

“For the Love of Rangers” was my initial thought. Not sure if your thinking more of just a one word title similar to Boss right enough.

Start small. Create a buzz. Get videos shared after then slowly grow. Build it and they will come.
We take 3,000 to Blackpool every summer for the event at the Ice Arena, hundreds more go down but they can't get in as capacity is full
I have been offered a venue holding 600. The WRC holds 250 standing. It's all about demand. Need to find out soon how big or small it is.

Really pleased for you. Had stopped looking at the updates as it was starting to sound a bit pessimistic. Lots of the pubs and clubs round here get bands in and the crowd all get involved. Certain Oasis, Jam, specials and Sterophonic songs are impossible not to join in with when you have a few beers. Mix in the Rangers based versions and you are on to a winner. Look at the Arfield song how that took off.

Really pleased for you. Had stopped looking at the updates as it was starting to sound a bit pessimistic. Lots of the pubs and clubs round here get bands in and the crowd all get involved. Certain Oasis, Jam, specials and Sterophonic songs are impossible not to join in with when you have a few beers. Mix in the Rangers based versions and you are on to a winner. Look at the Arfield song how that took off.
Every goal we are loving your salute Scotty Arfield :p

Honestly if someone had come on here and suggested using Whigfield Saturday night for a Scott Arfield song before the Liverpool fans used it, they would have been rag dolled by the usual suspects!!!!

It goes to prove any song or tune is a possibility. Although I'm not a massive fan of it :rolleyes:

I went to watch one of the musicians gig last night. Very impressed with guy.

Last edited:
ndu0zd.jpg

Last edited:
Just an initial idea, don't think we are ever going to get a Woah! One

Just got an offer of assistance :)

Great news mate! I posted an example in one of the other threads on this subject. Think if the image is right it sets the tone for the whole event
Can't recall seeing it. I like the one with the mic and WATP, but WATP is just a stop gap name, fed up saying Boss night

Edit..Was it a Liverpool Boss poster?

Last edited:
Back