Calvin Bassey discussion thread

Be to big a gamble for both Rangers and Bassey to turn down a move if the expected offers come in
Im sure Tierney got a 4/5 year contract at £70k per week which will probably have been improved since
I want more Calvin Bassey types that show hunger and desire to succeed and we now look to be a great option to attract suchlike

Just me that doesn’t see where he fits in the Villa side?

They’ve just bought the French left back for £25m, which means he’d likely be third or fourth choice centre half. Regardless of your thoughts on Mings, he’s their captain - and they’ve just spent £30m on another CB.

I don't want to see him go but there is a financial reality to all this. If Jack "heart like a hamster" Grealish was worth 100 mill to Villa then they can feck right off for any less than 25 mill for Calvin.

Fair enough there’s interest but I’m sick of these arseholes in the media giving it we should “cash in”! When it’s them selling it’s “hold out” for millions but us it’s cash in! %^*& off!

To make the wanted trading model work you sell your assets when they have high values (great seasons) to get top dollar.
For me £25m+ and it’s a no brainer. Under that and a successful showing in the CL or another great season sees him go up again (gamble of course).
Sadly this is true. But 25m gives us good options to strengthen 2 or 3 key parts of the team for the sale of one player.

As much as I don't want to lose him, I hope Villa can do us a turn here and we get good money. If he succeeds then we will be able to demand bigger fees for our players, as we can point to Rangers being a team you can come to, develop, and move on to the EPL.

2 or 3?

Our Europa League final starting 11 had a combined cost of about £13m. For £25m we could buy some genuine quality to really strengthen the squad in several areas.
Exactly , some are going to be very disappointed if they think we are going to pay £4m £5m on several players , that’s not the model , the youth set up starting to produce ,( looks like 3 international level players ) cross border deals , high quality Bosmans , and maybe one high transfer a window .

Seems like the mhedia are trying their best to have us offload our best players claiming its a mark of how far we have come and how it would "complete the journey". Fannies are running scared but trying to hide it behind a good for Rangers guise. Even if we do let a bunch go, their attempts to make their cult feel good about themselves is laughable.

I just want to keep him because I believe along with Tav, Alfie, Kent,BigJohn, and Aribo we fear no opponent .
If we can support that nucleus of quality players, then we can continue to upset the established clubs throughout Europe.
He is vital to our club.
That is only 6 players though, imagine by selling CB we could increase that nucleus of quality to 8 or 9 players?

Now we have a team who is really competeing and fears no one!

Last edited:
Absolutely! Completely agree with you! If you’d seen my original post, you’ll see I said he should go for more than Teirney. I said £25m- £30m.

Bassey has however only performed at this level for less than a full season.

He has only become a regular in the Rangers first team during this season.

He hasn’t won multiple trophies (and was a bit part player last season). Whether we like it or not, and we can try to put their tainted titles in context as much as we want, the facts are Tierney was a proven winner, multiple times over.

Bassey has never played in the Champions league, never mind over multiple seasons.

As I said the Europa League Final (and campaign) is something he does have that Teirney didn’t have… but again as I said, arguably, overall, Tierney had done more (or proved more) and that’s being generous to Bassey... That’s not to say Bassey hasn’t got more potential, I think he does, and that’s not to say that Bassey can’t be sold for more than Tierney was, I think he can be.

It can work the other way too. Clubs will look at Calvin’s rate of development and see a steep upward trend. He’s miles ahead of where he was a year ago at a young age.

Tierney is a good player but his development was far more gradual over the years. Potential suitors may see this as Bassey having a far higher ceiling in terms of potential.

That’s all before you consider KT being extremely injury prone.

All quiet now and we won’t hear anything for at least a fortnight as agents and players all either on holiday or away on international duty

I just hope big Calvin stays injury free this next two weeks regardless of what happens

I'll say one good thing about Tierney he has set a price bracket for a Scottish player going down south.

If we got offered 30m the big man will be away.

Just my opinion but i thought we should have tried Patterson right back and moved Tav right up the field. Plus we now have Bassey on the left with Kent in front.....

It can work the other way too. Clubs will look at Calvin’s rate of development and see a steep upward trend. He’s miles ahead of where he was a year ago at a young age.

Tierney is a good player but his development was far more gradual over the years. Potential suitors may see this as Bassey having a far higher ceiling in terms of potential.

That’s all before you consider KT being extremely injury prone.
Yeah I think we perhaps saw this with Hutton all those years ago.

I wonder if he now regrets committing himself to Nigeria. Can’t be the nicest country to have to travel to and most of their away games will be in equally grim places.

Could easily end up being good enough to get caps for England or Italy.

Just my opinion but i thought we should have tried Patterson right back and moved Tav right up the field. Plus we now have Bassey on the left with Kent in front.....
Whit? I thought it had been proven in the Lounge that you couldn't travel back in time. :oops:

Some post that. Now either i am pished and will need to apologize tomorrow or that is an absolute stoater with no relevance to just about anything discussed in 11 pages so far. Brilliant! :p

I'll say one good thing about Tierney he has set a price bracket for a Scottish player going down south.

If we got offered 30m the big man will be away.

Bassey is not Scottish and no player outwith Rangers or Celtic is ever leaving Scotland for anywhere near the £25m Tierney went for. If Bassey didn't play for one of the OF clubs he'd be lucky to go for £6 or £7m at a push.

Bassey is not Scottish and no player outwith Rangers or Celtic is ever leaving Scotland for anywhere near the £25m Tierney went for. If Bassey didn't play for one of the OF clubs he'd be lucky to go for £6 or £7m at a push.
I meant Scottish based as in playing!! as for the rest of your post I don't really get........

If Bassey played for any other club other than Rangers right now he would not have won MOM in the Europa League Final!!!

I think that’s if we sell him this summer, if he stays and kicks on and has an incredible season next season with more great performances in europe then I reckon we could get more.
Or on the other hand he has a poor season and his value plummets . You get offered £25 mil or even upwards you have to take it .

Absolutely! Completely agree with you! If you’d seen my original post, you’ll see I said he should go for more than Teirney. I said £25m- £30m.

Bassey has however only performed at this level for less than a full season.

He has only become a regular in the Rangers first team during this season.

He hasn’t won multiple trophies (and was a bit part player last season). Whether we like it or not, and we can try to put their tainted titles in context as much as we want, the facts are Tierney was a proven winner, multiple times over.

Bassey has never played in the Champions league, never mind over multiple seasons.

As I said the Europa League Final (and campaign) is something he does have that Teirney didn’t have… but again as I said, arguably, overall, Tierney had done more (or proved more) and that’s being generous to Bassey... That’s not to say Bassey hasn’t got more potential, I think he does, and that’s not to say that Bassey can’t be sold for more than Tierney was, I think he can be.
League winner last season, Scottish Cup winner this season. Always thought multiple meant more than 1. Pedantic loyal. :)

On your main points this is how I see it in terms of the value of both. Whenever Tierney was mentioned before as a benchmark for fees we should receive the arguments against were that he was young with scope for developing even further, had won trophies, played regularly in Europe and was an international. All valid arguments supporting why he went for more than we could've got for any of our players at the time. This is different as we are talking virtually like for like with added bonuses given they play the same positions. Now the argument appears to be that he had a few years more experience. Bollocks, tbh.

Tierney: Left footed, could play multiple positions comfortably, young, obvious ability with massive potential for improvement, won multiple trophies and capped internationally. Sold for 25m 3 years ago.

Bassey: left footed, mobile with good stamina, can play multiple positions comfortably, young, obvious ability with massive potential for improvement, won multiple trophies and capped internationally.

The only differences between them are Tierney was already injury prone (has remained so) and is not particularly dominant physically by comparison. Bassey is the opposite given he's built like a tank and hasn't been injured since he arrived. Then add in they got that fee 3 years ago and prices have risen, Bassey qualifies as homegrown in England (can add 5m for that alone if it's a team looking to compete in Europe) and you are looking 30m plus to get round the table. Cannot see or understand any argument implying otherwise tbh.

It doesn't work that way tho. Playing in scotland will never get you a move to Chelsea or Bayern for £50m etc. Van Dijk and Wanyama examples. Couple of seasons at a Southampton, Villa level then you get your big move. I know nothing about Cucurella but I bet he's not any better than Bassey. But he plays in England.
That’s why a sell-on clause is important in any deal we do (on top of the initial £25m+ of course).

Given how much he has improved and his versatility in defence I would say that he shouldn't be sold for any amount regardless of the final valuation whether its £10 or £25 million.
He gives 100%, can rampage down the wing till the last minute of the game and is hard to beat on a one to one in defence.
He does have some flaws and makes mistakes but I think that he is an exceptional talent who is constantly improving. If he keeps developing I think that he's going to be one of these players that can lift a team and a crowd when the going gets tough. He plays for the shirt and for a young player I feel confident when he's on the park. "Rangers through and through".

Gonna be hard to keep hold of this lad.
Based on overinflated rates down south for average players .....not MOM in a Euro final.......25M is a steal.

Love the boy but we must sell him hopefully as soon as the international tournament if finnished will be sad to see him go but we can rebuilt the full team with the sort of fee we will receive

Love the boy but we must sell him hopefully as soon as the international tournament if finnished will be sad to see him go but we can rebuilt the full team with the sort of fee we will receive
When does it finish? They’ve played two already

Heard some fanny in the pub on Wednesday, a Rangers fan saying they "didn't rate him and he was overated" I had to move table, after hearing that shite.

Back