Calvin Bassey discussion thread

Exactly ; Commons spouting the same pish in The Daily Mail today too .
Think it happens with all players doing well in Scotland tbf. Mind when they were putting price tags on Boyata, Dembele, Edouard etc then Morelos has been a regular as well. Big Bassey has been immense and has so much more room to improve. He could end up at a very top club but don't think his next move will be to 1. Bit like Van Dijk

Think it happens with all players doing well in Scotland tbf. Mind when they were putting price tags on Boyata, Dembele, Edouard etc then Morelos has been a regular as well. Big Bassey has been immense and has so much more room to improve. He could end up at a very top club but don't think his next move will be to 1. Bit like Van Dijk
I obviously say top club meaning high profile English club or whatever. Will never get better than the Rangers though

The issue with Bassey right now is the contract.

Typically you don't get big money for guys on lower wage contracts.

We need to get Bassey on improved terms with atleast a year extension.

If someone comes in offering 40k a week which we won't match, it becomes more difficult to command the fee when the player wants to move. Although the good thing is he's young and seems open to staying.

He could end up at a very top club but don't think his next move will be to 1. Bit like Van Dijk

Maybe not an elite team but probably not far off it. Only a limited number of clubs can and will pay that kind of money so hopefully a Man U, Arsenal, Spurs or Newcastle level team see him as a future star.

Getting an England call up would be huge for his future value. FWIW I think they may have an eye on him and he’s good enough already.

Maybe not an elite team but probably not far off it. Only a limited number of clubs can and will pay that kind of money so hopefully a Man U, Arsenal, Spurs or Newcastle level team see him as a future star.

Getting an England call up would be huge for his future value. FWIW I think they may have an eye on him and he’s good enough to be already.
You at it? He's chose Nigeria has he not

Fucking Kenny Miller on Clyde1 last night saying £15m for Bassey!

£25m is heading for a more realistic valuation to start talking.

Would be gutted to lose Bassey this early in his career, but if the money is right, sadly we need to accept selling makes sense.

This is the model the Club needs to adopt as much as it hurts as a fan.

Will certainly boost his appeal. If he continues to develop at this rate he’ll end up at one of the top English clubs but can’t see who would pay huge money for him this summer at least.
Seen someone mention Newcastle, plenty money and ambition. Not shopping in the elite player market

Probably the most relevant comporable is Tierney and it is no comparison at all
Bassey covers more ground in one game than Tierney does in a season notwithstanding a season for Tierney is a dozen games or less
Bassey has to be worth two Tierneys at least

Already said in the earlier thread we should tie him down on a long term contract. Anything less than £30M for this guy would represent a steal for an EPL team.

That is nonsense what people wanted them out of the club?

You have been keeping company with the wrong people.
I can't remember any one wanting rid of either player.
I don’t think anyone wanted him to leave it was just a practical thing as he wasn’t getting game time because he was behind the club captain for places and Everton offered a shit load of money for him
There were literally dozens of posters on here that wanted them sacked for breaking Covid protocols.

I hope he stays with us at least another couple of season's he has came on leap's and bounds with our training staff, he also sounds settled and happy with us.
I know that is the model we have but I feel like we don't have a finished player and he has so much more to show, the dribbling skills he showed against Hearts reminded me of Aribo/Kent style in attack and this from a back, the Bassey/Kent combo is working very well for us when they hook up together I always feel something is going to happen. On this occasion because of our fantastic run in the Europa and a healthier financial position he's exactly the player we'll need for the next challenge's in Europe. In short contract offered no sale.

Will be sad to see him go but unfortunately you've got to strike when the iron is hot. If we can get 25m for him then it would be crazy not to accept, we could end up with a situation like Hagi where he is injured for a season, his value plummets and he's into the last year of his contract meaning we get a fraction of what he's worth.

Big man's quality, I wonder if he was someone Gerrard knew of from his Liverpool youth team days or if we actually scouted him
Our B side plus one or two first team played their under 23 side at Ibrox that's where Gerrard saw him. You can see why the scouts would think him suited to Scottish football.

Patterson deal went for 16m.

Bassey has just played in a European final, was man of the match. He was also picked for the europa league team of the year.

And to add to that, he's an international player and has been quality the last few months. He's got everything in his game to play at the highest level.

The bidding starts at 25m plus for me.

"Star men Alfredo Morelos, Joe Aribo and Ryan Kent are also all in the final year of their Rangers deals, and the former Celtic hero thinks the sale of Bassey could fund an exodus."

WTF does that mean?
Selling Bassey means we can afford the rest to leave?
Moronic journalist.

Fairly certain he played against the B team in a friendly at Ibrox in 2017 when they had that season out the leagues.

Big Brenda gave Stevie a phone about oor Calvin as revenge for them turning on him when he left early as well.

' Best young player of the season' aye but his fellow pros and the Sportswriters did not think so not even a nomination, unless of course Fraser Wishart is in on the cinch league title cover up?.

We need to get him on a new 5 year deal asap

We could be asking 40-50m for this lad

He 3 times the player than likes of Shaw and the Chelsea left back they got from Leicester both of them went for 50m

I think that’s if we sell him this summer, if he stays and kicks on and has an incredible season next season with more great performances in europe then I reckon we could get more.
Main problem is teams don't seem like paying huge money for players from Scottish league. Most other leagues we would get 40 Mill easy..

Back