Calvin Bassey discussion thread

I don’t think he’s going anywhere…just now, imo he’ll sign a new contract then we’ll have a go at the champions league, if we don’t qualify - it might all change after that

Patterson did indeed, it took him to summer 2024 and he was sold winter 2022, 2 and a half years left on his deal when he left. Calvin's contract also runs until summer 2024, so there's only 6 months of a difference between them. Obviously it would be hugely beneficial for hik to extend, but if we plan to sell him this summer we're still in a fairly strong position.
The point he is making is the wage they are on is taken into consideration. Pattersons extension would probably more than tripled his wages, which is considered when fee is calculated.

Make Bassey one of our top earners and receive top money.

How exciting is it to have this guy on our books? His rise has been almost exponential. From that nervy, unassured young player who gave away a cheap penalty at St Mirren, to bossing it in a European final whilst bouncing between two different positions. Another example of how it often pays to be patient with younger players, and how absurd it is to begin to pass judgement on them so early in their careers.

22 years old? The sky’s the limit for him. It’s not just the ability and the athleticism too, he’s got an absolutely brilliant attitude. He’s keen, he’s humble, unlike many footballers he looks like he really appreciates the opportunity he has right now. His tribute to Jimmy Bell after Leipzig was heartwarming too. The euro showings are huge for us in terms of bargaining power too, clubs can’t lowball us using the “only really tested in the SPL” mantra when he’s done what he’s done in Europe. Looking at what players go for down south, looking at what the scum have (allegedly) gotten for far lesser talents, I’d be really disappointed if we got anything less than £30m for him.

The people putting the lower values have to remember the boy is a very skillful player as well as a defender and there is a lot more of that to come, we still don't know his best position as he is equally good in both and fcuk me I think he could even play up front,and he is left sided the most scarce of players in defence just look at the money top clubs have spent to fill those positions.

The point he is making is the wage they are on is taken into consideration. Pattersons extension would probably more than tripled his wages, which is considered when fee is calculated.

Make Bassey one of our top earners and receive top money.
All good and true mate however remember one thing.
Bassey needs to be up for same idea.
From what I've seen I think he is but agents/money etc!!

If Charlie is saying it then wow Bassey has impressed !
I know our board are pretty tight lipped on there business, which is the right way to go, but someone needs to come out on an interview and say don't low ball is with these ~£10m bids i feel it devalues the player somewhat when we publicly reject these.
~£20m would be good business in my opinion lets be honest we wont get much more other than other than attractive add-ons on top, I trust Ross Wilson to get the best transfer should it happen.

As much as I love Bassey, I'd be looking to sell now. He's just come off a week where he was MOTM at CB in a European final and then MOTM again at LB in the Scottish cup final.

While I think he will improve, his stock will never be higher than it is right now, a bit like the Morelos situation a few years back.

If he's willing to sign a contract extension maybe we get another year out of him but it would be very difficult to say no to £20 million right now with Leon King waiting in the wings for more minutes as well.

The longer we go on entertaining bids of 20m for talent like Bassey the longer we will continue to be low balled by buying clubs.

Bassey has proven himself at European level, won the league and Scottish Cup, Capped at International level and shown he can be played LB or CB equally well. Offers over 25m+ add ons is what we should be fielding, we only get to sell once. Patterson at 16m had no where near the experience that Bassey holds and for me is no where near the quality either. An injury prone Tierney went for 25m and I know which one I'd rather buy right now.

I dont want to sell Bassey now as hes been our best player for some time and only getting better.

However from a broader perspective, if Rangers were to land a large fee for him it would put the club on a high platform within the market from a selling perspective and ultimately should increase the fees we can seek for other players. For example, Aribo/Kent/Morelos/Kamara.

Clubs look at Scotland as a cheap option, particularly those in England, and its not untrue given Scottish Clubs make very little money from their own backwater Competitions. However if we followed up the NP sale with another Big Deal they will think otherwise, at least when dealing with Rangers.

Rangers should be in a Win-Win situation with the Player unless they make a mess of handling it.

1056828426.jpeg

E5d3WX2XEAEFA59

The cycle is working

drugs-essendon.gif

His leg genuinely looks like it a belongs on a horse in that second picture.

The Big Man will go for serious money.

Given he has everything and more as a modern day defender he’s a winner.

Semi Final last couple of minutes against that mob and everyone in the ground is just hoping to do well in PKs.

In the last two minutes Bassey makes a 50 yard overlapping run, ( after two 120 minute games in 3-4 days) puts in a delicious cross into their 6 yard box and we’re into the Scottish Cup Final.

Big teams will pay big money for that drive and commitment to winning.

Bassey is a far superior player than Tierney, when he left for 25m.

I hope he stays for next season. This has been his debut season with regular first team football - hopefully he decides to consolidate this with us.

The issue with Bassey right now is the contract.

Typically you don't get big money for guys on lower wage contracts.

We need to get Bassey on improved terms with atleast a year extension.

If someone comes in offering 40k a week which we won't match, it becomes more difficult to command the fee when the player wants to move. Although the good thing is he's young and seems open to staying.
Excellent point, agree 100%.
I've read two articles suggest he will be sold for £9 million though, and I honestly just can't see how he is possibly only worth £9 million, given his age and the rapid rate at which he is improving added onto how good he has been at the end of the season

I would use some of the money freed up by goldson leaving to make him one of the highest paid players.also in any new deal come to an agreement over a certain level of transfer fee that has to be reached before we accept offers

Not being funny, but with our striker crisis in latter parts of the season, I would have loved the big fella to have been tried up there. He has pace and power that defenders would struggle to live with. Admittedly I don't know what his finishing is like, but he would have caused chaos.

Shame we can't clone him for a few different positions. A Bassey a centre-back, a Bassey at left-back and a Bassey as battering ram number 9.

Calvin Bassey worth £25m to Rangers insists Charlie Nicholas as he urges club to sell prize asset

I was sittin' there thinkin'....... Charlie's right!

If we sell Bassey for less than£35 million it will be a bad decision as there are far to many big clubs with plenty money buying players that have not played better than Calvin Bassey over the last three seasons since he has come to rangers plus if we sell him we need to get a very good sell on clause put in his contract

Simply put, if Calvin Bassey goes for less than Kieran Tierney went for then serious questions have to be asked. He's a better player than Tierney, a better and more durable athlete than Tierney, has proven himself a standout at a higher level (getting pumped in the CL < MOTM in Europa final, obviously) and counts as homegrown for English teams. He's a more valuable asset than Tierney was.

Clubs interested in Bassey should be told in no uncertain terms that anything less than a Scottish record fee will not even be considered.

Realistically though the club would sell at 15m - 20m I'd reckon. Never know right enough but I would say so. The fact he's English trained would add a bit to his fee for teams that play in Europe but is he genuinely going to get near the tip 6 or 7 clubs
To answer your question. Yes he is. He will be playing for a top team outside of Scotland by the time he is 25. He is still incredibly raw but the talent is there for all to see along with pace, power and incredible fitness. He will be one of the top defenders in the world when he’s at his peak. Mark my words.

my preference would be to keep him 1 more year and then sell, but we have to sell at some point and that point has to be before hes entering his last year.
The value drops so much for players with only a year left and we are at that point with Kent and Alfie. Time to sell both was last summer. Either sign or move is the options we need to be giving players with 18-24 months left.

Club has done great making money outwith selling players, but its time to activate the selling model that we need to be a profitable, sustainable, well run club. Seeing the idols leave is not going to be easy for any of us, but its the only way to survive and thrive in Scottish football.

Be nice to have a thread where you don't read "Arsenal payed 25 mill for Tierney.." Basseys value will be reflected by his age, adaptability and his skilkset not what Celtic got for their players.

Lets look at what you get in the EPL for big bucks
Maguire 80m
Ben White 50m
Wan Bassaka 50m
Ben Chillwell 50m
Nathan Ake 41m

I would not swap Bassey for any one of these players.

Also West Ham and Villa supposedly interested, ask WHU how much for Rice and you will be quoted 100m plus and Villa got that for Grealish.
The defender prices above are the numbers we should be looking at.

As much as I love Bassey, I'd be looking to sell now. He's just come off a week where he was MOTM at CB in a European final and then MOTM again at LB in the Scottish cup final.

While I think he will improve, his stock will never be higher than it is right now, a bit like the Morelos situation a few years back.

If he's willing to sign a contract extension maybe we get another year out of him but it would be very difficult to say no to £20 million right now with Leon King waiting in the wings for more minutes as well.
Leon King is a CB.

Simply put, if Calvin Bassey goes for less than Kieran Tierney went for then serious questions have to be asked. He's a better player than Tierney, a better and more durable athlete than Tierney, has proven himself a standout at a higher level (getting pumped in the CL < MOTM in Europa final, obviously) and counts as homegrown for English teams. He's a more valuable asset than Tierney was.

Clubs interested in Bassey should be told in no uncertain terms that anything less than a Scottish record fee will not even be considered.
Word for word 100% correct.

End thread.

Ridiculous talking about selling players as soon as someone puts in a really good run of games,

away tae %^*& with it,

he's staying,

for the next ten years,

to win lots of trophies

As good as he's been, and he's been bloody excellent recently I can't see anyone coming in with an offer to tempt us this summer! A new deal must be a priority this summer

Maguire 80m
Ben White 50m
Wan Bassaka 50m
Ben Chillwell 50m
Nathan Ake 41m

Also West Ham and Villa supposedly interested, ask WHU how much for Rice and you will be quoted 100m plus and Villa got that for Grealish.

Huge money for all those listed players but all had played in the EPL beforehand. Regardless of what you think of their ability compared to Bassey it does put their price up. I’d say, similar to Van Dijk, that if Bassey were to leave this summer it won’t be his ‘big move’.

Maguire 80m
Ben White 50m
Wan Bassaka 50m
Ben Chillwell 50m
Nathan Ake 41m

I think KT and Patterson are a better gauge of the sort of money we should be able to command for Bassey.

Bassey has done a lot more than Patterson so must be worth more than £16m.

Arguably when KT was transferred he had done more than Bassey has at this moment in time, so is £25m pushing it a bit? I don’t think so actually as that transfer was a good few years ago.

Personally I think we should be looking for £25m-£30m for Bassey.

I think KT and Patterson are a better gauge of the sort of money we should be able to command for Bassey.

Bassey has done a lot more than Patterson so must be worth more than £16m.

Arguably when KT was transferred he had done more than Bassey has at this moment in time, so is £25m pushing it a bit? I don’t think so actually as that transfer was a good few years ago.

Personally I think we should be looking for £25m-£30m for Bassey.

“KT”

vomit-vomiting.gif

Makes a change from hearing about the valuations of the beastenders. At least it gets it out in the mainstream to be noticed

Sadly think a large element of our support haven't realised that fans don't "want" players sold, more that this has to be our way in modern football.

Ideally, we add a two year extension onto his current contract, he has another storming season and goes for proper cash next season.

Alternatively, if stock is high and we got a silly deal offered now that allows the club to add years to Alfie, Kent and Aribo deals then I think worth taking.

Huge money for all those listed players but all had played in the EPL beforehand. Regardless of what you think of their ability compared to Bassey it does put their price up. I’d say, similar to Van Dijk, that if Bassey were to leave this summer it won’t be his ‘big move’.
We should stop low balling our players and be looking for proper money, a blind man can see this young man is going all the way to the top, keep saying no to bids like Liverpool done with Coutinho 70m first offer sold for 126m or Maguire 45m up to 80m, they have the money so let us get it off them, even better if he stays but if two or three major players want him let them fight it out with their cheque books.

Back