Calvin Bassey discussion thread

He’s better than anything Dortmund, Leipzig or Frankfurt had to offer. Would love him to go to Dortmund, genuinely think they could take him to another level and to the very top.

We've been here before though. We are in full focus of European football after the run to Seville. Unless we go and win it next year and he is our star man then his stock might not get any higher with us.
We never bit the bullet with Alfie when if we were looking for money we maybe should have done. On the other hand it worked out for us as he fired us to a title and this season put us in a great position in Europe. If Bassey was to go and pick up a Hagi style injury then we might never see that sort of money again.

It's all ifs and buts. I love the big man and would love him to stay but if our model is to buy cheap sell high. Then selling a guy for 25 million plus that we got for nothing after a great 6 months is exactly what we should be doing. It's then up to the board to reinvest and those in charge of recruitment to find suitable replacements.

You are right mate and i know we simply cant turn down 25 million for him. Or indeed any other player tbh.

Just looking at it from a fans point of view for his level of performances and how good he has been but i know the bigger picture.

I kind of feel like we are bringing it on just by it being in the papers. Although it also shows what a stage we have been on to showcase all our players. It bodes well for future signings, look at the stage we can give you to show your skills.
Although I'll be gutted to see the big man go, we simply cannot knock back £25 Million+.

Let's hope we have ready made replacement lined up.

If he does go the more interested parties the better, best offer over 28m and see where we go and how much the bidding clubs are prepared to go to, Villa had no problem taking 100m off City, they have the dough lets play hardball.

If he does go the more interested parties the better, best offer over 28m and see where we go and how much the bidding clubs are prepared to go to, Villa had no problem taking 100m off City, they have the dough lets play hardball.
Absolutely

I don't him to leave but if someone comes in with anywhere near that offer or over we need to take it and reinvest. Its simple as that, we do not operate in a league where we can get £130m for TV or £10m for a tiny wee shirt sponsor on our sleeve. We are a develop and sell club in a develop and sell nation.
Bang on
I don't him to leave but if someone comes in with anywhere near that offer or over we need to take it and reinvest. Its simple as that, we do not operate in a league where we can get £130m for TV or £10m for a tiny wee shirt sponsor on our sleeve. We are a develop and sell club in a develop and sell nation.

I'd love him to stay at least another season.

However, if he's away at least it looks like it will be for big money!

I’d have a minimum bid to get us talking for most clubs, then a separate much higher price for Villa. He should be aiming higher than them anyway.

I think that’s if we sell him this summer, if he stays and kicks on and has an incredible season next season with more great performances in europe then I reckon we could get more.
I wish you were right but there’s a ceiling value for players in Scotland. £25m has to be near the maximum. With a sell on clause it would be great business and he’d go with our best wishes.

Would hate to lose Bassey but for say £25m we have to sell.

I have said loads of times on here we would get more money for Bassey than we did for Patterson.

£25m gets us 4 players that go straight into the starting eleven. I think we will miss his personality as much as his ability. Rangers need to move quickly for their targets and show the fans the money will be used to strengthen the core of the team.

We've obviously got a tight-knit squad but you'll always get your wee groups within that, and I think Bassey leaving could push Kamara and Aribo toward the door. That group already lost Defoe, who they all adored.

If we are getting big money offered for Bassey then we have to take it while his stock is high.

His performances in the last few months have been outstanding.

Exactly and this needs to be the model we adopt going forward.

Realistically we should've sold Morelos when we were being offered north of £15m.

We're the only club in the world with fans who are scared of selling players it's a bit weird tbh.

As much as I love Bassey and want to keep him. If we get £25+ million then he should be sold.

We are a buy low, sell high model. In Scotland there is a ceiling for fees and £25/30 million is that ceiling.

Selling Bassey might allow us to keep Morelos and Kent on better deals, while signing players to strengthen RW, CB and LB.

If we got £25 million for Bassey, £10 million for Aribo and £7 million for Kamara, while signing new deals for Kent and Morelos... then I'd be happy.

That kind of money could help us bring in a few players, to enhance that bring us our next £20+ million sale.

People saying it would be devastating etc need to honestly have a word. 25 million is an unbelievable amount for us as a club and im sure we could bring in players that would slowly make you forget about calvin bassey. Coming from someone who loves him may i add

Anything £25m and above he has to go, that with Patterson money can see a big freshen up on the squad.

As it’s been said we need to sell players when their stock are high. You never know what will happen next year to performance levels or injuries.

He’s a brilliant player, I wish we could keep him but this has to be the model going forward.

We should have cashed in on Aribo or Kamara last year. Let a big player go every year and freshen up the squad.

Aye no danger. :D Love guys sitting on their arse judging how other much footballers should or shouldn't earn and what their priorities should be.
What's the most recent job you've turned down that was offering you a few million a year?

Retiredloyal GIRUY

I wonder if he will end up regretting playing for Nigeria as in a year or 2 he could have been playing for England or Italy.

I guess that depends on what country he feels he identifies with most.
I’m pretty sure if he wants to play for England he still can, he’s under 5 caps and I believe there is a rule after a set amount of years of not playing for your incumbent nation you can switch

I’m pretty sure if he wants to play for England he still can, he’s under 5 caps and I believe there is a rule after a set amount of years of not playing for your incumbent nation you can switch
Didn't know that.

I thought as soon as you played a competitive game that was you.

Look how Celtic spent the Tierney money on diddies from Greece etc. Need a more holistic approach to accepting any bid, make sure the money is going on pre-defined targets, stadium etc. Hope he stays.

I don't want him to go. No one wants our best players to leave.

But if our model is to to bring players in and then sell them on, then now is the optimum time for Bassey. In Scottish football, you are very unlikely to get much more than £25m for any player. Our league has a ceiling unfortunately.

Making sure we sell players at the right time is key.

For example, I think last year was the optimum time for Kamara. Our European run might mean he holds his value, but his stock was higher last year in my opinion. Barisic as well. I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This is probably the year for Bassey, whilst that European form is fresh in buyers minds.

Talk on other thread of that rat rent boy LB from east end at Arsenal being subject to a £50m bid, considering how much he’s constantly injured nowadays, Arsenal be wise to take it n use half it to replace him Bassey

The selling assets at highest value is something we need to do.

It’s not something we need to do with every player. There can be exceptions. But we need to sell a couple to not only get the ball rolling but to allow us breathing space to be firmer in negotiations

You can’t argue with 25 million plus ffs. It’s like another euro run financially just like that

Would be gutted if he left, was a huge part of our success in Europe.

But 25 million or above, we simply have to take that.
No we wouldn’t as he is still under contract , great money yes but our Board also want our squad into winner’s and selling at first chance won’t help

A lot on here love talking down the value of our players.
I went on the tim board last season and they had 4 pages slating Ajer, totally took his game apart, then they decided anything less than 10M with less than 12 months left on his contract would be a disaster.
That's the difference in mindsets.
Agree the separate entity fans never devalue even their worst players. Sad that so called supporters on here love to denigrate our own.

Genuinely don’t think there is a chance of him leaving. He’s had a quality season and I reckon he will want at least another year here - especially if it’s CL.

Leaving now, whilst clearly on top of his game, to go sit on the bench in the EPL seems a stupid move. And I don’t think he’s the stupid sort.

We should be offering him a new £25k a week deal though,

If we are valuing him at 25 million, he's gona need to be made our highest earner or at least thereabouts.

If we are valuing him at 25 million, he's gona need to be made our highest earner or at least thereabouts.

Wouldn’t necessarily say highest value equals highest wages. Otherwise Tav and Goldson would’ve been on relative pennies cos of age, and guys like Modric and Ibra would be playing for free.

He’s clearly worth more now though and deserves a much improved contract. Folk were valuing Kamara at £20m and he signed up without fuss.

Back