Calvin Bassey discussion thread

We don't want to see Calvin leave, but £ 27- £ 30 million and he'll go with our best wishes. He has a wonderful future ahead of him, wherever he wants to play football. He's been superb for us.
of those figures are correct we can't refuse that money

That Rangers are being quoted as looking for " in excess of £ 25 million " for Calvin is more than encouraging. I genuinely believe we'll receive near the £ 30 million mark.

If we make champs league , if his form continues , if he doesn’t get injured . To many ifs you have to sell at the right time , never going to be a perfect time .
This.

Also the “ champions league” thing is becoming really tiresome. What did making the champions league groups do for the yahoos 4 times during their 8.5 in a row? They still had to sell players. They didn’t evolve or improve. They were just ritually humiliated.

Yea the money is good but to me it’s vastly overplayed this land of milk and honey champions league stuff. You get three home games slapped about and out ye go.

If we make champs league , if his form continues , if he doesn’t get injured . To many ifs you have to sell at the right time , never going to be a perfect time .
His value isn’t decreasing anytime soon, he’s a young player who is going to get better and better which is why teams are willing to fork out big money for him.

His value isn’t decreasing anytime soon, he’s a young player who is going to get better and better which is why teams are willing to fork out big money for him.
You can’t guarantee that mate , for what an extra £5m say ? How much do you think someone will go to for a player in Scotland . it’s not worth the risk .

You can’t guarantee that mate , for what an extra £5m say ? How much do you think someone will go to for a player in Scotland . it’s not worth the risk .
It absolutely is worth the risk, he’s an outstanding young player who could stay with us for at least another season, he was pivotal in us reaching a European final and was motm in said final, it’s crazy to think it’s a risk that his value will decrease.

This.

Also the “ champions league” thing is becoming really tiresome. What did making the champions league groups do for the yahoos 4 times during their 8.5 in a row? They still had to sell players. They didn’t evolve or improve. They were just ritually humiliated.

Yea the money is good but to me it’s vastly overplayed this land of milk and honey champions league stuff. You get three home games slapped about and out ye go.
Correct mate , last season was heartbreaking going out like that to Malmo , it ended with what could have been best climax to a season ever . Due to the fact we went full on in Europe and didn’t let our heads go down , they are in it for the money we are in it for the glory . That’s the Rangers way .

It absolutely is worth the risk, he’s an outstanding young player who could stay with us for at least another season, he was pivotal in us reaching a European final and was motm in said final, it’s crazy to think it’s a risk that his value will decrease.
It really isn’t mate so many things can go wrong , we won’t reach they levels again in Europe either so won’t get that sort of exposure . The fact that story was put out on Sky sports alludes to what price range we would be happy with , So time will tell .

It really isn’t mate so many things can go wrong , we won’t reach they levels again in Europe either so won’t get that sort of exposure . The fact that story was put out on Sky sports alludes to what price range we would be happy with , So time will tell .
You can’t seriously go through life thinking so many things can go wrong, it’s a daft attitude to have, it’s incredibly negative and defeatist to think we won’t reach those levels again too, we have reached a European final twice in 9 campaigns.

You can’t seriously go through life thinking so many things can go wrong, it’s a daft attitude to have, it’s incredibly negative and defeatist to think we won’t reach those levels again too, we have reached a European final twice in 9 campaigns.
Aye ok mate incredibly negative to believe we won’t make another Euro final next season , or eh realistic :D .

I'll just wait and see what happens. As for valuations on here, well I've read about Alfie going nowhere for anything south of 30 mill, 18 mill was an insult and then he's went from 10 mill down to as little as 5.

If I remember correctly, he was even valued at, I'll drive him to the airport myself.

I definitely think he'll be away, as the seasons just finished and speculation has already started. Don't forget the agent, he'll be out to make a nice earner himself. Such is football these days.

I'll just wait and see what happens. As for valuations on here, well I've read about Alfie going nowhere for anything south of 30 mill, 18 mill was an insult and then he's went from 10 mill down to as little as 5.

If I remember correctly, he was even valued at, I'll drive him to the airport myself.

I definitely think he'll be away, as the seasons just finished and speculation has already started. Don't forget the agent, he'll be out to make a nice earner himself. Such is football these days.
cant see clubs come in when he's still injured.

by our own boards admittance - our business model is to buy cheap and sell on high. This Summer could see a mass exodus after the performances this season.
Of course that's our business model, it's the only way we survive. More surprised we haven't cashed in over the previous couple of seasons

I just want to keep him because I believe along with Tav, Alfie, Kent,BigJohn, and Aribo we fear no opponent .
If we can support that nucleus of quality players, then we can continue to upset the established clubs throughout Europe.
He is vital to our club.

I just want to keep him because I believe along with Tav, Alfie, Kent,BigJohn, and Aribo we fear no opponent .
If we can support that nucleus of quality players, then we can continue to upset the established clubs throughout Europe.
He is vital to our club.
Unfortunately this was always going to the model, then reinvest and hope to do it again

He is vital to our club.
I agree but if we get a £25 bid for any of our players at all, we will sell. That’s just the reality of it.

Unfortunately this was always going to the model, then reinvest and hope to do it again
I know that is the truth. But if you deviate to get to European finals , the rewards are greater for the club, players, and fans.
Calvin is more than capable of helping the team progress further in Europe.

I’ve said elsewhere on here that I think he will genuinely be the first player to leave Scotland for £30m+. As much as I would love to keep him for another season or 2 if that kinda money came in we couldn’t say no to it as that’s a 2-4 quality players plus money the board can use for either upgrades to stadium etc or squaring the books up.

Of course that's our business model, it's the only way we survive. More surprised we haven't cashed in over the previous couple of seasons
We should have done.

I remember the valuations of goldson, barisic, kamara etc etc.

We need to sell either as they are approaching, or (very difficult) at their peak with us.

Fans won’t like the stars being sold but it’s how we have to operate.

We’ve been playing lip service to it. Which is why we have players either leaving or on short contracts

Chelsea must pay at least £45m to win the race for Brighton defender Marc Cucurella.... sure we play in the SPL, but that is the price we should be looking for and with a hefty 20% sell on clause!

Bassey is a good example of why we need to learn just a little patience as a support.

As recently as six months ago he was an okay back up. Now he's arguably our best player at the minute and going to make us a shed load of money one day.

It's a heavy jersey that needs grown into and when they do they learn more than they would anywhere else in world football because of it.

I am delighted he's ours, delighted we've stuck with him and hope he's here this time next year.
Thought he always looked better in the full back role , had to slot in at centre half though and grew into the position after a bit of a shaky start.
Outstanding in the left back position now though when he’s been played there.
Really don’t want to see him go even if it is for funny money.
Looks as if he’s enjoying life here and playing for us and that’s half the battle.
Could make more money down south but I believe if he stays he’s destined to get even better and win more trophies and medals with us which he may prefer to.

One other positive regarding Bassey is that, while Gerrard debuted him, I thought he developed in leaps and bounds under Gio. Of course, most of the credit for that has to go to Bassey himself, but it should give us encouragement that - if Bassey is sold - Gio has the ability and trust in younger players/fring players to develop any prospects breaking into the team.

Sky sports are reporting 6 clubs from EPL and Bundesliga have showed an interest.

Also say that Villa are one of the clubs and they are pushing hard to get a deal done quickly.

Villa pushing hard ties in with SG comments a few weeks ago saying he wanted business done early (as he has said most seasons) and the fact they have bagged three players already.

I think KT and Patterson are a better gauge of the sort of money we should be able to command for Bassey.

Bassey has done a lot more than Patterson so must be worth more than £16m.

Arguably when KT was transferred he had done more than Bassey has at this moment in time, so is £25m pushing it a bit? I don’t think so actually as that transfer was a good few years ago.

Personally I think we should be looking for £25m-£30m for Bassey.
What had Tierney done that Bassey hasn’t?

It’s a difficult one.

Ultimately there’s a limit to the price for a player in Scotland. We even be close to it now, irrespective of future performances.

I would hope he decides to remain for another season. He’s only just broken into regular first team football - he needs to consolidate and continue playing.

I doubt his value will decrease over the next season.

Sky sports are reporting 6 clubs from EPL and Bundesliga have showed an interest.

Also say that Villa are one of the clubs and they are pushing hard to get a deal done quickly.

Villa pushing hard ties in with SG comments a few weeks ago saying he wanted business done early (as he has said most seasons) and the fact they have bagged three players already.

I reckon that Gerrard knows our financial situation and might offer a take it or leave it £ 25 million deal. I'm not sure if our Board could turn that down, even though we could possibly get more by holding out for better offers.

Put in good performances in the Champions League

Really, which ones? Their results under Rodgers were generally awful, verging on embarrassing.

Yes, individually you can play ‘well’ when your team is being humped 5-0, 7-0, 7-1.

But I’m not sure you can put them above a player being central to a team’s progress to a European Final.

Reactions: VGM
It’s a difficult one.

Ultimately there’s a limit to the price for a player in Scotland. We even be close to it now, irrespective of future performances.

I would hope he decides to remain for another season. He’s only just broken into regular first team football - he needs to consolidate and continue playing.

I doubt his value will decrease over the next season.
Players go for big money from similar or lesser sized leagues all the time.

Look at Salzburg who have already made about 60m this summer. They are clearly a well run club but they play is a similar standard league to our own.

If teams want Bassey we are correct to ask for 25-30m.

That's the going rate all around Europe.

Players go for big money from similar or lesser sized leagues all the time.

Look at Salzburg who have already made about 60m this summer. They are clearly a well run club but they play is a similar standard league to our own.

If teams want Bassey we are correct to ask for 25-30m.

That's the going rate all around Europe.
Red Bull Salzburg have a history of producing quality and with Red Bull behind them have an enormous structure with in depth scouting so clubs buying their players trust them more.

He definitely fits Leipzig and Dortmund's transfer models.

I wouldn't see Bundesliga clubs who've played us this season trying to low-ball us with bids either, tbh. As we know with Gerrard, he'd prefer to get a deal over the line quickly, so could offer us the £ 25 million. Its all on the Board to whether they want to hold out for more offers.

What had Tierney done that Bassey hasn’t?
Had been a regular starter for them for a number seasons.

Had played several times in the champions league over a number of seasons.

Had won multiple league titles and trophies.

You can not say any of those 3 things about Bassey, yet! He is working towards them and I expect in time will match them. Bassey has played in a Europa League Final, which is why I said “arguably”, but honestly, Teirney was far more established and proven than Bassey is at this stage. I believe Bassey has more potential though.

This was Bassey’s breakout season, remember he started the season very much as back up to Borna. It is very doubtful if Bassey would have even made the impact he has, if it wasn’t for Borna’s injury/lack of form and other injuries in our defence.

Had been a regular starter for them for a number seasons.

Had played several times in the champions league over a number of seasons.

Had won multiple league titles and trophies.

You can not say any of those 3 things about Bassey, yet! He is working towards them and I expect in time will match them. Bassey has played in a Europa League Final, which is why I said “arguably”, but honestly, Teirney was far more established and proven than Bassey is at this stage. I believe Bassey has more potential though.

This was Bassey’s breakout season, remember he started the season very much as back up to Borna. It is very doubtful if Bassey would have even made the impact he has, if it wasn’t for Borna’s injury/lack of form and other injuries in our defence.

Bassey has done far more in one Europa League campaign to enhance his reputation than Tierney ever did playing in the Champion League for a team who were routinely humiliated. He did have some good performances but I also remember him badly struggling in games.

Regarding multiple trophies -- it was during the weakest period in the history of Scottish football when Aberdeen were their main challenger for much of it.

Bassey's outstanding Europa League form this season, making the team of the tournament, standing out against top German sides, becoming an international player for Nigeria, and showing he can play three different positions well at a very high level in Europe puts his value right up there and he could go for a Scottish record fee if and when we choose to sell.

I hope we receive nothing for him. We need to sell to balance the books but there are others that would bring in decent money and in worse contract situations that we should be cashing in on before Bassey.

No one gave a sh*t about Tierney winning games in the SC in reality, same as they won't with Bassey, same as they didn't with Frimpong, same as they didn't care about Patterson winning a Scottish title.

Players leaving Scotland are moving based on their ceiling, how good can they actually get - Bassey is worth a fortune at the moment based on how good he currently IS before even considering the potential.

I reckon that Gerrard knows our financial situation and might offer a take it or leave it £ 25 million deal. I'm not sure if our Board could turn that down, even though we could possibly get more by holding out for better offers.
I've had that thought too.

If the story re 5 other clubs is correct then, if he is thinking of trying that, he is screwed.

So far I've read of interest from...

Chelsea
BVB
Bayern
Leicester
Villa

Back