Calvin Bassey discussion thread

I would hope so we cannot afford another Goldson type situation. Bassey has age and growing ability on his side we need to tie him down.

I was at an development game in 2017 at Ibrox v Leicester unders 19’s.
I remember him playing for Leicester that night..?
(They won 6-1)

We need to get him on a new 5 year deal asap

We could be asking 40-50m for this lad

He 3 times the player than likes of Shaw and the Chelsea left back they got from Leicester both of them went for 50m
Agree that he is a better player than both and that we need to get him signed longer. The problem with the 50 million offer is it will never happen simply because they know we could never knock back 25-30m. Ever. So they dont need bid the extra 20m. It would take a seismic shift in the views of scottish football by both other teams and by ourselves for that to change.

The difference in Bassey’s case is that not only is he doing it in Scotland, which understandably is not valued too highly, but much more importantly he’s cutting it in Europe against top players. This is why teams are taking notice and why we should be expecting a helluva lot more than £15m ( which in EPL terms is a low speculative offer for players who may or may not come good ).

We need to get him on a new 5 year deal asap

We could be asking 40-50m for this lad

He 3 times the player than likes of Shaw and the Chelsea left back they got from Leicester both of them went for 50m
Can admin merge all these threads about players contracts. People seem to think the club have no idea what to do

So scouts spotted him and Wilson and Gerrard finalised it.

Fairly standard, I mean why would Klopp recommend him to Rangers and not Liverpool? Seems like some bizarre attempt to take any credit away from Rangers football department for getting a signing absolutely spot on.

Im sure I read somewhere when he signed that Brendan Rodgers had made Stevie G aware of him and his contract situation. Im sure the dark side were raging at the time because he was giving us players

The big man has improved big time this year but to suggest you’d knock back £30m is absolute comical, i’d be astonished if the board didn’t do a deal at £15m.
The same board that did a deal for £16m for Patterson?

Whilst they may be poor in some aspects one of the things that cant be levelled at them is taking low ball offers as shown with Alfie etc

20-25 and a decent add on and we should sell. He has no World Cup to excel in, and we are unlikely to look great in many champions league games if we make it, and if it’s Europa he’s looked as good as he ever will at that level.
His peak value is now. That funds some really quality buys that strengthen across the park.

Reading through this and posters saying we will “ accept £15”.

Do these people watch football?

Bassey has just put in two cup final performances of 120 minutes where he stood head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch. One of those games was an elite European final.

Eyes are very much on him.

We will come under serious pressure to sell big Calvin in the summer because after his performance in Seville he will be on a lot of radars,i really hope he stays

I want all our players to sell for £20-25m, and I think Bassey does warrant the higher valuation. However I do find posters who are saying he won’t go for anything less than £20m a bit foolish. We have no real track record of getting value for money. We have no idea what clauses are kicking about and what clubs are willing to pay. Therefore I wouldn’t go so balls deep on “this guy will not go for anything less than £20m” said with such certainty.

Bassey is a huge asset and his displays at CB and LB this season have been superb

He has the physique and skill and stamina and that combined with a brilliant friendly personality and stable home life will be very attractive to clubs in EPL

With 2 years left we either get a contract extension for another 2 years then sell next season or sell this summer

The lad at 22 will be a top professional in the EPL and if he goes for £20m plus we must get a sell on clause as he can move again and we need to get another slice of future transfer fee

Regardless of whatever his valuation might be I don’t think I can remember a player who has developed as quickly? He’s gone from being a back up left back, to a centre back through necessity (injuries), to a frighteningly good player in just a few months. I’ve had English football fans who know pretty much nothing about Rangers ask me about Bassey since the Europa final, saying he looks incredible. He is incredible. What an athlete. What a monster of a defender. There’s more development left in him as well.

The difference in Bassey’s case is that not only is he doing it in Scotland, which understandably is not valued too highly, but much more importantly he’s cutting it in Europe against top players. This is why teams are taking notice and why we should be expecting a helluva lot more than £15m ( which in EPL terms is a low speculative offer for players who may or may not come good ).
The starting bid is £25m.

That’s the going rate for a highly rated 22 year old Old Firm left back.

It’s that simple for me.

If Tierney cost that, Bassey has to be at least the same.

If not, why?

Explain to me what is so much better about Tierney that Bassey should not command the same pricetag?

I’d argue our man has actually performed at a higher level than Tierney at the same age.

I have to say that I want the big man to stay but his stock is so high at the moment, that we must cash in with bids no less than £25 m.
Across the road got that for a left back and ours is better .
Anything less is selling ourself short .

We have one of the best up and coming players in Europe in this young lad. I expect a feeding frenzy come summertime from some major clubs. Would love to keep him another season but can't see it.

Tierney had numerous injury concerns and goes to Arsenal for 25 million.

Bassey performances in Europe, especially the final have been unbelievable and clubs will be taking note.

Yet we have posters on here that would accept 15 million.

F.uck me!

Sticking my neck out on the line here defending Nicholas but for how long have we moaned about the Celtic cheerleaders in the media bigging up their players saying they’re worth £20M+

Here we have one giving a pretty reasonable and in no way derisory valuation of one of our players.

Nicholas’ thoughts that we should sell him won’t have any bearing on if we will or not. However, if the general consensus among the media is that he is a £25m+ player then clubs will know that’s what they’ll need to pay. Meaning we’re unlikely to be shortchanged if we do cash in on him.

I understand Nicholas is an absolute throbber but put the pitchforks away on this one.

Haven't a clue mate ,I'd imagine Bassey thought he'd get into the Rangers 1st team quicker than he would Leicesters
Yep 100% , and we should be using this to entice top British players from down south . And with quality at academy , want us to be the go to club to progress players in UK .

We need to be keeping him for another year or 2 and maximising his potential sell on value. Only 22 and has plenty of development left in both positions he has played this season.

Other players in squad that we should be targeting with getting maximum value for this summer.

1056828426.jpeg

E5d3WX2XEAEFA59

The cycle is working

drugs-essendon.gif

The issue with Bassey right now is the contract.

Typically you don't get big money for guys on lower wage contracts.

We need to get Bassey on improved terms with atleast a year extension.

If someone comes in offering 40k a week which we won't match, it becomes more difficult to command the fee when the player wants to move. Although the good thing is he's young and seems open to staying.
I'm pretty sure that Patterson wasn't on £20k a week plus when Everton splurged 12-16 million quid on him. Bassey is worth what clubs are willing to pay for him, imo.

I'm pretty sure that Patterson wasn't on £20k a week plus when Everton splurged 12-16 million quid on him. Bassey is worth what clubs are willing to pay for him, imo.
Patterson signed an extension in Jan 21, the exact extension we need Bassey to sign.

Patterson signed an extension in Jan 21, the exact extension we need Bassey to sign.
Patterson did indeed, it took him to summer 2024 and he was sold winter 2022, 2 and a half years left on his deal when he left. Calvin's contract also runs until summer 2024, so there's only 6 months of a difference between them. Obviously it would be hugely beneficial for hik to extend, but if we plan to sell him this summer we're still in a fairly strong position.

Back