Calvin Bassey discussion thread

Villa don't strike me as a squad that would urgently benefit from Bassey. He'd likely have to take Mings' spot, which, even though Bassey is arguably better, is unlikely given Mings is their defensive talisman with 17 England caps to his name. At left-back they invested in Digne last year as well whose delivery is as good as it gets in the PL, so that side of the defence would not seem to be a priority to me.

As expected, 'Villa close in on deal for Calvin Bassey'.

Soon we'll have everyone being linked with them :D

But since it's a Premier League team we should ask as much as we can. Seeing what they pay for players in general 30-35m should be where we start.

“KT”

vomit-vomiting.gif
Ooft!!

Not sure it's them that will go for him but it's a cert teams will be looking to get him I've no doubt about that

Fraser Wishart (PFA) said on Clyde 1 SSB the other day that he was at a big meeting with players' unions from different countries a few days ago and Bassey was the talk of the room after his Europa League final performance. He won't be short of suiters.

If we got £12-16m for Patterson you can at least double that for Bassey. He has a much higher ceiling that Tierney.

Genuinely don’t think there is a chance of him leaving. He’s had a quality season and I reckon he will want at least another year here - especially if it’s CL.

Leaving now, whilst clearly on top of his game, to go sit on the bench in the EPL seems a stupid move. And I don’t think he’s the stupid sort.

We should be offering him a new £25k a week deal though,

A contract extension and 1 more year with us is how I would be playing it from a Rangers POV.

Right now, maybe an Aston Villa. A full season wth us in that form in Europe and Domestically and it will be a Liverpool coming calling

Villa don't strike me as a squad that would urgently benefit from Bassey. He'd likely have to take Mings' spot, which, even though Bassey is arguably better, is unlikely given Mings is their defensive talisman with 17 England caps to his name. At left-back they invested in Digne last year as well whose delivery is as good as it gets in the PL, so that side of the defence would not seem to be a priority to me.

There have been rumours doing the rounds in Midlands for quite some time that SG doesn't fancy Mings, makes far too many silly mistakes.

Maybe not an elite team but probably not far off it. Only a limited number of clubs can and will pay that kind of money so hopefully a Man U, Arsenal, Spurs or Newcastle level team see him as a future star.

Getting an England call up would be huge for his future value. FWIW I think they may have an eye on him and he’s good enough already.
Really ? He’s already played for Nigeria in a WCQ game so I don’t think England are going to have an eye on him.

Agree that he is a better player than both and that we need to get him signed longer. The problem with the 50 million offer is it will never happen simply because they know we could never knock back 25-30m. Ever. So they dont need bid the extra 20m. It would take a seismic shift in the views of scottish football by both other teams and by ourselves for that to change.
Exactly this. People might accuse the EPL clubs of being arrogant but, in reality, it’s just good business sense. They know the Rangers board will never turn down a 25m bid so no need to bid what the fans think he’s worth.

Lmfao 10 mil for Bassey. Tierney's fee should be where the discussion starts. Ideally for us we could sign him to an extension that will keep both parties happy whilst also boosting his value. If he can build on this year and get even better then we're sitting on a massive pit of money.

10 mil though? %^*& off.

Mings and Digne have both been dreadful this season. They will have Targett back from his loan at Newcastle where he’s played well, but doesn’t look like he’s going to be signed permanently.

Exactly this. People might accuse the EPL clubs of being arrogant but, in reality, it’s just good business sense. They know the Rangers board will never turn down a 25m bid so no need to bid what the fans think he’s worth.
Right, and it's not just an SPL thing either. Look at Feyenoord, who many of our fans would probably consider as a club with transfer policy to learn from: they very rarely get more than 10-15mil for players at the top end (only Ajax and occasionally PSV do due to years of consistently successful sales), and the average is closer to 5-7mil. A lot of them end up running down their contracts and leaving on a free too.

It's all just a part of the league food chain.

Back