Calvin Bassey discussion thread

Fraser Wishart (PFA) said on Clyde 1 SSB the other day that he was at a big meeting with players' unions from different countries a few days ago and Bassey was the talk of the room after his Europa League final performance. He won't be short of suiters.

If we got £12-16m for Patterson you can at least double that for Bassey. He has a much higher ceiling that Tierney.
We got £9m for patterson will only rise to 16m if he plays a certain amount of games..

I understand the financial power, but no way is the Europa League Final MOTM leaving to piddle about in the reserves at at a shite club like Villa.
English teams think buying good individuals makes a good team. While it's obviously true at a certain point, it's also easy for someone who was great and suited to their previous side to struggle there. Because they're by and large thick as %^*&, they think this means the BPL is the toughest league I'm the world and all the new signings must be lacking in ability for it.

Sky Sports now reporting that Villa, other EPL and Bundesliga clubs are wanting Calvin.

Article states that he is settled, but willing to talk to Villa. Says we don't want to sell, however, if we do, we will we want in excess of £25 Million.

Inevitably feels like this is moving in one direction which sees big Calvin leaving for a hefty fee.

Will be absolutely gutted.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/...r-league-clubs-interested-in-rangers-defender

Sky Sports now reporting that Villa, other EPL and Bundesliga clubs are wanting Calvin.

Article states that he is settled, but willing to talk to Villa. Says we don't want to sell, however, if we do, we will we want in excess of £25 Million.

Inevitably feels like this is moving in one direction which sees big Calvin leaving for a hefty fee.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/...r-league-clubs-interested-in-rangers-defender

I don't him to leave but if someone comes in with anywhere near that offer or over we need to take it and reinvest. Its simple as that, we do not operate in a league where we can get £130m for TV or £10m for a tiny wee shirt sponsor on our sleeve. We are a develop and sell club in a develop and sell nation.

I'll be gutted but for £25m+ I'll wish him well and follow his lucrative career with thanks and best wishes while we plough that fee back in to our squad.

If we accept a bid of anything less than £25 + add ons then heads must role..
None of this 16m un installments crap..
£25m + for me and straight up cash..
I wouldn’t sell even at £25m. I think we can get more, I’d prefer we offered him a vastly improved contract and sell when we have too.

This guy is destined for Greatness, it might actually be just as essential to have a Sell On % that is really good because no disrespect, if he goes Villa he won't ever be winning anything there. I think we will get 30M.

Never nice to see any player go but it's an exciting time to support us knowing even if this happens it will allow us to go up a level and spend decent money on better players.

If we are getting big money offered for Bassey then we have to take it while his stock is high.

His performances in the last few months have been outstanding.
Yep, as much as people are saying we need our best players for the qualifiers we need to cash in on a player if the money is right. It's the model that we need to use, buy cheap and sell on for a high fee in a couple years down the line.

The way its playing out with Goldson id like him to stay at least another year to be part of the mini rebuild, but that would need a contract extension as well to safeguard his value.

But if the model is going to work the this is a top example, free transfer 2 years leaves for 20+ million.

I'll be gutted but for £25m+ I'll wish him well and follow his lucrative career with thanks and best wishes while we plough that fee back in to our squad.

Think we all know he will get a big money move one day but id love for him to stay another season at least.

If we can get £25m it’s great business, possibly allow Gio and the management team to reinvest that in say 3/4 £5m players from the Eredivisie… could work out really well.

I love the guy but that money is just wild

I think he’ll be leaving this summer and it will be for a Scottish Football transfer record.

I will miss the guy. Been a fan of him since he signed and used to argue with people on Twitter that he would end up being a key player for us given time.

I know he’s very well thought of at the club. Just a cracking lad who works his arse off every day and the way he is with people on a day to day basis, some others at the club could learn from.

Suppose it’s just a case of waiting to see who wants him the most.

If he does go the more interested parties the better, best offer over 28m and see where we go and how much the bidding clubs are prepared to go to, Villa had no problem taking 100m off City, they have the dough lets play hardball.

I think he’ll be leaving this summer and it will be for a Scottish Football transfer record.

I will miss the guy. Been a fan of him since he signed and used to argue with people on Twitter that he would end up be a key player for us given time.

I know he’s very well thought of at the club. Just a cracking lad who works his arse off every day and the way he is with people on a day to day basis, some others at the club could learn from.

Suppose it’s just a case of waiting to see who wants him the most.
Agree, when villa are paying £26m for a 30 year old CH from Sevilla, we need to realise this kids real value. He’s going to be one of the best in the game in the next few years.

This boy can go to the very top , not just the prem all the way . But at the prices now being spoke about , very little he does with us can push that higher , and so much can go wrong , superstar of a boy and player , but we just can’t risk not selling .

Sadly think it will be a miracle to keep a hold of him this summer. Time to pony up that cash Stevie boy. Gonna be genuinely sad to see him go, I just think he'd develop more under our current coaching staff, get the vibe he's being bought to be a back up to Digne and cover at centrehalf. A damn shame, think he could have been dynamite for us next season.

When prices above £25 million start getting bandied about, then the club has to sell. Keeping him is no longer an option really.

Sadly think it will be a miracle to keep a hold of him this summer. Time to pony up that cash Stevie boy. Gonna be genuinely sad to see him go, I just think he'd develop more under our current coaching staff, get the vibe he's being bought to be a back up to Digne and cover at centrehalf. A damn shame, think he could have been dynamite for us next season.

When prices above £25 million start getting bandied about, then the club has to sell. Keeping him is no longer an option really.
He won’t go to Villa imo .

Controversial here perhaps but don't underestimate the impact playing alongside Goldson had on Bassey.

His organisation and marshalling of the defence was top notch and similar to how anyone who slotted in next to Davie Weir looked great.

Bassey is quality but, if Goldson goes, this may be when Basseys stock is at its peak.

£25m and above and it's an incredible deal.

I know £25 million plus would be fantastic business for the club and we'd be mad to turn it down, but I can't bring myself to be happy about losing one of our most promising players.

Maybe it's growing up through the late 80s/ 90s when we were competing at the top table on facilities, merchandising and players. I know those days are long gone and this is the model we should be following, but it'll sting seeing Bassey go before he's really got started for us. If it happens, what a final two games to sign off with, good luck to the lad.

I kind of feel like we are bringing it on just by it being in the papers. Although it also shows what a stage we have been on to showcase all our players. It bodes well for future signings, look at the stage we can give you to show your skills.

For me the Aston Villa link is lazy plus it's Gio who has made Basseys career take off.

Gerrard, much as i loved him, would still be running Barisic into the ground and playing Jack Simpson.

I love Bassey but the impact that sort of money could have would be much greater to the club than holding on to him. 25 million would be huge for us.

I wonder if he will end up regretting playing for Nigeria as in a year or 2 he could have been playing for England or Italy.

I guess that depends on what country he feels he identifies with most.

Be devastated if the big guy leaves but that's the model we need to follow. 25m+ and a good sell-on clause. One year at Villa or similar and he'll move on for 60m or more. A sensational talent.

We need to sell our assets when they are at their peak value.

Simply has to be the way forward regardless how much we'll miss him.
Yeah, we need a big sale every season that will allow us to invest funds into the squad.

That's just the way it has to be for us.

Selling Bassey early will be in our best interests.

We have to think of the long term here for what it would do to the squad. £25m+ and we are talking 4 quality players that could bring in.
Would be sad to see him go but it's a no brainer. We should be able to attract top players from what they saw in Europe with us.
But.... Need to invest quickly after the sale so that players can get in early and bedded in

Think we all know he will get a big money move one day but id love for him to stay another season at least.

We've been here before though. We are in full focus of European football after the run to Seville. Unless we go and win it next year and he is our star man then his stock might not get any higher with us.
We never bit the bullet with Alfie when if we were looking for money we maybe should have done. On the other hand it worked out for us as he fired us to a title and this season put us in a great position in Europe. If Bassey was to go and pick up a Hagi style injury then we might never see that sort of money again.

It's all ifs and buts. I love the big man and would love him to stay but if our model is to buy cheap sell high. Then selling a guy for 25 million plus that we got for nothing after a great 6 months is exactly what we should be doing. It's then up to the board to reinvest and those in charge of recruitment to find suitable replacements.

Back