Calvin Bassey signed

I don't have a problem with this signing at all. He'll be back-up for Barišić , he's an actual left back and he's not cost a lot. Looking at the LCFC forums, he's reasonably well rated.
Welcome aboard young Calvin.

Leicester City’s James Maddison sends message to new Rangers signing Calvin Bassey.

madders: All the best little bro, some player
Screenshot_20200607-135731.png

I don't have a problem with this signing at all. He'll be back-up for Barišić , he's an actual left back and he's not cost a lot. Looking at the LCFC forums, he's reasonably well rated.
Welcome aboard young Calvin.
Back up is it fine? when there's a youngster or couple for that matter at our club at moment the boy Maxwell went to Dubai so obviously rated what does it tell him consider he's just signed extension not to long ago.

Back up is it fine? when there's a youngster or couple for that matter at our club at moment the boy Maxwell went to Dubai so obviously rated what does it tell him consider he's just signed extension not to long ago.

A very eloquent post :eek: . I still have no problem with this signing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
From The Foxes forum:

"He has pace and power and knows how to get forward. He is a very good Left Back and a decent CB. You're lucky to have got him."

I watched 45 mins of the Liverpool game and another one from him actually playing LB against Blackburn and aim not convinced how quick he is yet.

Might just be he was up against two very fast players in those games.

He looks quicker going forward than as a defender chasing a player (having seen him burst up the park to support an attack.

Looks reasonably happy to use his right foot to pass the ball on occasion too which is never a bad thing.

Probably suggests he’s not rated as high now if this signing is anything to go by

Barisic is the first choice for one of the top European nations, anyone we were bringing in was going to be playing second fiddle. Bassey is athletic, young, natural in the position and seems to like to get forward, it’s a very clever and shrewd signing for me. He’s going to be learning from a top player and and has plenty of time to develop into the role.

From the last time I seen maxwell, he didn’t seem physically ready enough to be part of any first team defender. Also I’m sure he’s only 17, he still has plenty of time. Patterson as back up right back is the right choice but that’s because he seemed physically ready for a defender right now imo

I'm really behind this signing. BB always has spells out, so there is a definite pathway there to develop.

Welcome to Ibrox big man!

I wouldn’t disagree, but I think we would need to off load Stewart in order to do that. I get the feeling Alfredo will be here until the transfer market normalizes somewhat. I just hope he recognizes the need to prove himself again.

I don’t doubt there are several areas of the team where it would be good to strengthen. I just feel that a ball winning central midfielder with a bit of bite to his game, who is a proven leader, would be the spark that ignites us. For me that should be the priority as I think it would help get the best out of others.

Agree, but I hope he has pace & energy to his game tottie.

Happy with this signing. For me Borna has that position cemented and is one of our best players. This signing gives him competition he didn’t have previously.
A relatively small outlay for one of our stronger positions is fine with me, keep the main money for the problem areas.
Cross border scheme also means we should end up making a decent profit from this lad further down the line.

Good shout mate.

I guess we’ll need to wait and see mate. The word ‘modern’ would suggest hes as good going forward as defending. He is also young so I guess that can also be developed. I would think this season he’ll be back up to Borna anyway

Sorry Tottie, I was referring to your suggestion on a midfielder.

According to what I’ve read this boy is strong & pacy.

The more strength & pace this season the better IMO.

We have a lot of quality.

Sorry Tottie, I was referring to your suggestion on a midfielder.

According to what I’ve read this boy is strong & pacy.

The more strength & pace this season the better IMO.

We have a lot of quality.
A midfielder like that is the key for me. Someone with the mentality of Souness or Ferguson who will fire up those around him. For me the pace is already there, its a bit of passion we need

See tbh Rangers should be challenging domestically and on the continent. The league is the priority but Europe shouldn’t just be regarded as a bonus. We need that money so we can eventually cement our position at the top and for Rangers to be respected on the continent.

EDIT: Don’t get me wrong, give me the league over the round of 16 in Europa. Although I think Europa groups should always be the minimum requirement

That money is vital to our financial survival & development.

I watched 45 mins of the Liverpool game and another one from him actually playing LB against Blackburn and aim not convinced how quick he is yet.

Might just be he was up against two very fast players in those games.

He looks quicker going forward than as a defender chasing a player (having seen him burst up the park to support an attack.

Looks reasonably happy to use his right foot to pass the ball on occasion too which is never a bad thing.
From the Wyscout clips I saw I think he is very fast when he is at full pace but a big guy like that will never be the fastest in the first few yards.

From the Wyscout clips I saw I think he is very fast when he is at full pace but a big guy like that will never be the fastest in the first few yards.

That's bang on from what I'm seeing. Not sure that's ideal as a left back who is facing a wide player who is lightning over the first few yards.

How often he'll face that in Scotland is probably less of a concern all the same. It'll be good to see him in the flesh. It's always hard to judge a player on camera.

That's bang on from what I'm seeing. Not sure that's ideal as a left back who is facing a wide player who is lightning over the first few yards.

How often he'll face that in Scotland is probably less of a concern all the same. It'll be good to see him in the flesh. It's always hard to judge a player on camera.
Then he has to have good positional awareness. it also helps that that he has pace to get back to make these tackles. Look at Wan Bissaka, nobody seems to get round him.

The big question is does he have the ability on the ball? The way we play requires our full backs to be extremely creative, we need him to have a wand of a left foot if he is to succeed.

Then he has to have good positional awareness. it also helps that that he has pace to get back to make these tackles. Look at Wan Bissaka, nobody seems to get round him.

The big question is does he have the ability on the ball? The way we play requires our full backs to be extremely creative, we need him to have a wand of a left foot if he is to succeed.
No idea if he can do it consistently but he can certainly curl in a cross with minimal effort.

Always excited be signings like this.

Highly rated at a top English side, were first team opportunities are limited but who can easily make a great impact at another club.

For a minimal fee it makes sense.

Hopefully he will be able to give Borna a good run for his money in providing competition.

Be great to have two top left backs.

My mate’s dad was his U23 coach at Leicester. He says he’s quite bitter about the deal and we will make a profit on him as he’s very good. He watched him be part of a back 3 so good to know he’s versatile.
Good to hear mate, he has a tough job getting ahead of Borna

Back