Calvin Bassey signed

A squad filler to start the summer spending post Hagi (albeit one that was going to be needed as cover for Barisic). Let’s hope we sign at least 4/5 first team starters on top of any other squad fillers we’re signing. Another summer of squad fillers isn’t going to cut it.
A 20 year old that was wanted by West Ham and Leverkusen isn’t really a squad filler tbh. A Greg stewart or Jordan Jones is a squad filler, not someone with a lot of promise.

Not if we do it in a way that takes us off of our current path.

Rangers has the potential to be on the same level as clubs like Ajax and Porto in European football, I'd rather wait a bit longer and realise that than being a shit Scottish team that does nothing outside of a 2 horse race.
Each to their own. Rangers have and always should be based on domestic success. You’re alluding to some ‘model’ that you think is making us into a side similar to Ajax who were in the CL SF last season - not happening.

The club’s sole focus should be on getting back to winning the SPFL as often as possible.

£400k cross border fee according to Foxes forum, not that they will have it confirmed.

Aberdeen with Lowe and the bheggars with Frimpong haven't done too bad. Lowe would have been a good signing for us but that ship sailed.

I think many of us have been stung before with the EPL guys with little/no playing experience.

Dodoo, the dwarf from Man City, Barker, Ojo, Ejaria, Oduwa all fine in the EPL U23 bubble but it's another story when your up against guys who will eat you alive for their win bonus.

The positive for me is that physically he looks like he could be capable of handling the physical side of the game. I suppose it's mentally that will come into play as to how he uses this strength.

I hope he does well.

Each to their own. Rangers have and always should be based on domestic success. You’re alluding to some ‘model’ that you think is making us into a side similar to Ajax who were in the CL SF last season - not happening.

The club’s sole focus should be on getting back to winning the SPFL as often as possible.
I'm alluding to a model that makes those clubs attractive to some of the best young talent in world football.

Just goes to show all these rumours mean nothing, Club have been great at keeping Transfers under wraps.

First time I’d heard his name was about 2 hours ago on the dreaded Football Insider website. They appear to be the only ones who had an inkling of this which is really unusual. Usually they are very poor.

Sensible signing since we’ve lost our back ups in Halliday and Flanagan and Barisic is clearly first choice. Bringing in a young guy to provide competition and hopefully take over the spot in 1/2 years if we sell Barisic makes sense.

He definitely looks a bit of a unit, it’s clear that Gerrard is a big admirer of physical players.

Await “this is not the signing Rangers should be making” from same people who think Jeremie Frimpong is world class
That's who I thought of with this deal Frimpong has his weaknesses but for a young cross border signing he's been good for them just hope this lad is similar or maybe even better

Excuse me ?. He’s played 44 games this season.....

Wasn't questioning his number of games. Borna definitely had moments in his first season where he toiled with the physical aspect of Scottish football. It's well documented. That said, he's done brilliantly to redeem himself to Gerrard. I'd say there are still lingering doubts about his mentality to deal with the physical side, but they are minute at this point I must say. As I said, big Borna fan myself.

Didn't mean to detract from the thread, should've just said welcome, Calvin! Wish him all the best.

Yeah, that’s not happening for us in Scotland.
It happens in the Netherlands and Austria.

Why can't it? The reason Scottish football is in the state it's in is this self defeating attitude.

Rangers are one of the biggest clubs in Europe, it's a very big shopping window for the EPL and in a few years we will be able to offer wages comparable to all of those teams

I would imagine no more defenders in unless someone is sold, polster/ tav, 4 centre halves and 2 left backs.

It happens in the Netherlands and Austria.

Why can't it? The reason Scottish football is in the state it's in is this self defeating attitude.

Rangers are one of the biggest clubs in Europe, it's a very big shopping window for the EPL and in a few years we will be able to offer wages comparable to all of those teams
Just don’t think it ever will. If we’re giving up titles for fun just now to that lot in order to try and meet this model you’re talking about, then many fans won’t be happy and rightly so.

This is probably for another thread, but why not?

It's exactly what we need.

We need to operate as a modern European club with ambitions to compete on all fronts and build for the future. Having someone as good as Barisic with a young, hungry 20 year old behind him is much better than signing an ageing journeyman.

I get the impression that a lot of FF would be perfectly happy if we went back to being completely mediocre aslong as we win the title every other year.
Necro every thread you have a shocker. At this point in time I would take 11 efficient players who get things over the line rather than those who play better football but cant see out a season.

We can't afford to sign a left back better than Barisic.
I’m not saying we can. Just said it can’t be another summer full of squad fillers. Ones like this where we need some cover is fine but we need to sign 4/5 first team starters as well as Hagi.

I feel Borna definitely had moments in his first season where he toiled with the physical aspect of Scottish football. Hence the fallout with Gerrard. But he has done brilliantly to redeem himself to Gerrard. I'd say there are still lingering doubts with Gerrard about Borna's mentality to deal with the physical side of Scottish football.

Either way, hope this lad provides great competition to Borna. Didn't mean to have a bash at Borna at all, who I think is class.

Young, can cover Barisic or Helander if needed and minimal cost for us. Happy with that.

I imagine most of our funds will now go on a couple of midfielders and another striker.

According to the Leicester forum

“ thought he was one of our best U23s last season. Again disappointing for us that we can't use him but good for him to be going to a big club and have the chance of European football. He'll be a very good player.”

”He'll be starting for you within 2 years. Strong, fast and intelligent. I'd play him LWB”

Another project signing not what we need right now at least for the next 12 months.

Nobody knows if he's a project signing.

If he hits the ground running, at £230k, it's brilliant business in the now as well as the future. Even if he takes a year to settle, you still don't pass up what you think is a very promising player at a steal of a price.

Just don’t think it ever will. If we’re giving up titles for fun just now to that lot in order to try and meet this model you’re talking about, then many fans won’t be happy and rightly so.
We're not "giving up" anything, we're being calculated and working towards being the best that we can be in every area.

Rangers can be a big European player again, teams with smaller followings from similar sized leagues have done it. We won't achieve that by signing 30 year olds as cover, we do it by having a forward thinking recruitment model.

Exactly.

Expecting us to sign a player better than him is just daft.

This sort of signing makes perfect sense. Much rather than this than some Liverpool left back on loan as back up.

He's our player. Different if we were taking him on a 12 month loan and getting no long term value or benefit for it.

We can watch this kid develop knowing full well we'll reap the rewards if it works out.

Did borna shite it when he assisted Kent in the December old firm? Stop talking shite mate.

No, he didn't on that particular occasion. One swallow does not a summer make so there's no point in quoting individual games.

I think Borna is class anyway. The point I was getting at is Bassey could provide a more robust option - I accept I articulated it completely wrong and was too strong in my language towards Borna.

Necro every thread you have a shocker. At this point in time I would take 11 efficient players who get things over the line rather than those who play better football but cant see out a season.
Ok.

Unless you have a spare £50m to donate, Rangers aren't signing a better LB than Barisic.

Why sign someone with no hope of first team football over someone who could potentially become just as good?

Only YouTube video I could find is under 23’s game v Liverpool, plays as a CB. Solid and assured, plays with his head up

I’m sure we played LCFC youths a couple of years ago at Ibrox.

He could have been playing then.

IIRC, they beat us comfortably.

Back