Calvin Bassey signed

Reading the thread on Leicester official Twitter account about him leaving, he seems quite highly rated by their fans.

What?

How is he “worth more to us than £7m regardless”???

If we win 55 then...aye.
Beale said not long after he signed to take the press with a pinch of salt and that we got a good deal.

He's worth more than £7m to us because we'd rightly laugh at a club if they bid that for him. He's 23 and has an incredibly high ceiling.

Absolutely sick to death of people talking our players down for no reason, it goes beyond valid criticism.

Beale said not long after he signed to take the press with a pinch of salt and that we got a good deal.

He's worth more than £7m to us because we'd rightly laugh at a club if they bid that for him. He's 23 and has an incredibly high ceiling.

Absolutely sick to death of people talking our players down for no valid reason, it goes beyond valid criticism.
It is utterly bizzare the way our fans talk our players down. Pisses me right off.

A) We didn't pay £7m for Kent.

B) He's worth more to us than £7m regardless.

I think people struggle with figures like £7m in footbal now.

You want a promising English player from Liverpool? Then at least £7m is your price.

It's a big figure to us and sounds like an amount that we can't sell on, but its absolutely a buy to sell purchase. £7m isn't a massive fee in British football now - it was a price we had to pay and absolutely one that was worth it.

If anyone wants a laugh go on Rangersmedia and check the forum they have on Bassey, supposedly Barisic wasn't even our best left back last season and should be punted ASAP.

Rangers are delighted to announce the pre-contract signing of Calvin Bassey from Leicester City.

The highly-rated 20-year-old defender has made the decision to join the Gers on a four-year-deal with Rangers paying training compensation to Leicester after Bassey decided to make the switch from the Midlands across the border to Scotland.

Italian-born Bassey, who can play as a left back or centre back, is also eligible for Nigeria and England, and will officially become a Ranger when the transfer window opens.

Speaking about his new signing, manager Steven Gerrard said: “There was a lot of clubs interested in Calvin and for us it’s pleasing to secure the services of another young talent.

“He’s a strong and dynamic athlete who is very much the modern day full back. He will develop further and we are excited to have made another strong addition to our group.

“He’s left-footed, physically powerful and enjoys driving forward and is certainly equipped to thrive in the combative nature of Scottish football. We continue to look ahead to next season and Calvin is another positive addition as we continue to build the strength and depth of our squad.”

Sporting Director, Ross Wilson underlined his delight at securing the signing, adding: “Calvin has a really bright future and we are pleased to have attracted him to Rangers.

“The scouting staff identified him at the end of last year and Steven and I have been tracking his situation extensively since then. His ability to play as a full back and centre back will provide us with new depth defensively and doing that was one of our primary targets for this summer.

“He is a young man bursting with enthusiasm and positivity and I know how excited he is to be continuing his journey under the guidance of Steven and the staff.”

Calvin Bassey commented: “I am delighted to join Rangers and secure my future at a club of such stature. When I entered talks with Rangers, I knew this club was right for me. Of course I am thankful for everything Leicester has done for me and I am now very excited about working under Steven Gerrard and his coaching team to continue my progression.

“I have heard about the amazing atmosphere at Ibrox. I can’t wait to start pre-season and take my career to the next level in the famous blue Rangers jersey.”

Cheers Brendan - for all you lurkers

This is the sort of signings I want Rangers. Under the radar, no one knowing a thing, young, huge potential and into the slot replacing two lads that had not future and probably weren’t good enough in Flanagan and Halliday. Happy with this.

Welcome to the greatest club in the world.

An improvement on Flanagan & Halliday as a back-up with the potential of a sell on fee if he delivers.

I think people struggle with figures like £7m in footbal now.

You want a promising English player from Liverpool? Then at least £7m is your price.

It's a big figure to us and sounds like an amount that we can't sell on, but its absolutely a buy to sell purchase. £7m isn't a massive fee in British football now - it was a price we had to pay and absolutely one that was worth it.
£7m is pretty much nothing in British football these days. Clubs buy academy aged players for that and don't care if it doesn't work out.

For all of the abuse Kent gets, he's one of the few that you know will produce in the big games. He absolutely thrives against Celtic and in Europe, people are too willing to forget how good he can be so they can write him off as an expensive dud.

I think this is a bigger signing than people think. It's in terms of previous cross border deals for younger players. This is more like Joe Aribo level than Joe Dodo in terms of quality. He's not a punt or development squad player.

Can be luck with these signings and we have had enough bad luck with random u20 players from England. Hopefully does well! Boy looks fucking massive!

Here’s another response from a guy on the Leicester forum:

F0-DF55-EA-8-CE8-48-F2-B28-F-B69-BAF892-CA4.jpg

Just tried to create a Wikipedia page for him but apparently it was rejected as he isn’t well known enough, cheeky bastards!

£7m is pretty much nothing in British football these days. Clubs buy academy aged players for that and don't care if it doesn't work out.

For all of the abuse Kent gets, he's one of the few that you know will produce in the big games. He absolutely thrives against Celtic and in Europe, people are too willing to forget how good he can be so they can write him off as an expensive dud.

If you want to pick a forward player to play in high profile games then Kent is the first name down, 100%.

Fans have spoke for years about a buy to sell policy yet when the club tries it they get pelters. I take some issue with the way the club has done business, but this is one aspect that you can see decent progress in.

Winning a championship would be fantastic, obviously. But buying players and selling for a profit year on year will be better in the long run that one league title.

Happy with this signing. For me Borna has that position cemented and is one of our best players. This signing gives him competition he didn’t have previously.
A relatively small outlay for one of our stronger positions is fine with me, keep the main money for the problem areas.
Cross border scheme also means we should end up making a decent profit from this lad further down the line.

Good cover in case Borna gets injured, or the jesuit books him for nothing thus trying to make him less effective or a potential red and we need to sub Borna.

Last edited:
I have no idea who this lad is or how good he is but we have to have faith that our scouting team and everyone else involved in making signings, are all pulling in the same direction. We needed another left back to give us cover and competition and if there’s no one else in the academy then I think this type of signing is the next best option. This season coming, I expect our academy players who are up to, or very close to the standard required, to be the ones offering cover and competition. When better to blood our promising youngsters when at least half the season is going to be behind closed doors, giving them a chance to hopefully fulfil their promise without the extra pressure of ourselves and opposition fans.

If anyone wants a laugh go on Rangersmedia and check the forum they have on Bassey, supposedly Barisic wasn't even our best left back last season and should be punted ASAP.
That is daft and not even funny. One small plus about this covid crap, I don't get on here much when I am away working because it is blocked. FF is usually just a quick read if lucky and not signed in.

But as far as rangersmdia goes, not even looked for years. They were absolute nutters then so obviously no change there.

Reactions: LD5
Absolutely mental there are people on here complaining about this signing. They clearly have no clue about football and how to build a squad.

They'd never even heard of him until earlier today and know phuck all about him, unreal. Leicester have produced a number of good youth players over the last few years so this bodes well.

The squad filler pish is exactly that....how does anyone know we havnt just signed an absolute gem let's wait and see him over a season before we judge. There is an abundance of talent being stifled in the EPL.

The boy Sancho couldn't get near the city team given a chance at Dortmund 10 games later hottest player in Europe.

Never heard of him

Hopefully he’s for cover

Ultimately, we need to sign proven quality if we want to win league titles.

Signing project type players hasn’t exactly worked for us since Warburton came in

If it’s the same player I’m thinking of, then i’m sure I seen this boy play when the Development Squad played Leicester at Ibrox a couple of seasons ago, Big, Strong and full of pace and he bombed down the left wing. Hopefully this is the same boy.

I'll reserve judgement when I see him play. I've never heard of him, never seen him play for Leicester. I didn't think we'd be going for unproven players when we're trying to stop 10.

Pleased to hear he’s the physical type. We could be doing with a few more of these. I’m guessing none of us have seen him play so we’ll need to hope the scouting dept have done their job well. The last development type player we signed from Leicester (Dodoo) was bang average so fingers crossed.

Never heard of him

Hopefully he’s for cover

Ultimately, we need to sign proven quality if we want to win league titles.

Signing project type players hasn’t exactly worked for us since Warburton came in

Of course we do. However Barasic is not one of the first 11 that needs replaced and his position requires backup.

So do we spend our money on a proven quality left back at say £15k a week to be backup or do we get a young player with potential on relatively cheap wages?

The higher wages and fees will be spent on players who will instantly improve the first 11 who need upgrading.

I'll reserve judgement when I see him play. I've never heard of him, never seen him play for Leicester. I didn't think we'd be going for unproven players when we're trying to stop 10.

We need to replace Foderingham and Haliday/flanigan in the squad. If we can do that without using a lot of funds meaning we can bring in a few quality players in key areas of the team then I am happy with that.

Sensible signings so far but we still need to address last season’s shortcomings and bring in quality

Good piece of business. Needed replacement for Halliday and Flanno and we have that now.

obviously signing qualify is the priority and we will do that. But some areas we just need back up and LB was one of them.

Taken from Goal: “The 2021 Africa Cup of Nations is set to take place between January 9 and February 6, 2021. The tournament was originally scheduled for June and July 2021, but CAF announced that they would be moving the dates to a winter period due to the weather conditions of the summer.”
Hopefully gets postponed as we could do without losing Aribo, although it does look like it will as it’s one of the reason have decided against buying Werner because Mane and Salah won’t be missing due to Afcon

@Chesterfield bear

Looks like it did get rescheduled right enough. Was supposed to be Summer. However, with COVID-19 now spreading in Africa who knows how it will turn out now.

What kind of players did you think we would be bringing in to be back up to someone else?

Back