Calvin Bassey

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn’t cause chaos. Fuckin hell.

ask the gaffer how important numbers are to the team and then reply.

he’s a decent back up, he’s got bags of potential. Let’s hope he can be the best player he can for us.
I suggest you look at how many go to him when he is challenging for a high ball. He is in and about it and draws players to him. Have a closer look. No need for the 'fucking hell' big chap.

Opinions, etc.

Thought he had a solid game and was my MOTM
As has been said he needs to improve his final ball but he is an outstanding prospect

People need to remember how little first team football he’s played.

Crossing is something that can be worked on, but he could be our left back for years if Barisic is moved on.

He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.
Strong going forward but not tested defensively. His crossing was very poor.

ask the gaffer how important numbers are to the team and then reply.

he’s a decent back up, he’s got bags of potential. Let’s hope he can be the best player he can for us.

I don't have Steven Gerrard in my phone contacts. I am sure if it was purely numbers Borna would have played today.

Bassey IMO is better than 'a decent back up'. Agree he has bags of potential but he is the type to make sure he IS the best player he can be. I hope you watched his interview on here. Pretty much shows his drive and determination to do just that.

Anyway. Great game today from him.

Absolutely fine today. Carried out his defensive duties and showed tons of energy to get up and down the left flank, linking well with others.

But the crossing / final ball was disappointing, let's be honest. Not expecting Borna levels of delivery but you'd hope for at least one good cross out of the dozen or so opportunities he had.

Still, that can be worked on and lad clearly has all the raw attributes needed to be a great modern day attacking full back. His build and physicality gives him a huge advantage in most situations.

He is a work in progress, i am sure the gaffer will try and give him more game time if the games are going our way.

Best player on the park today, right enough that wouldn't be hard as we were very flat most of the game.

But still won 3-0.

He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.
I haven't been on the match thread today.
But I agree with you.
I thought he has shown up well today and in pre-season.
Still some roughness around the edges, but the lad comes into a game focused and committed and professional.
He will do fine.

I was really pleased with how big Calvin played. Always positive and looking to drive forward. He's such a powerful runner and gets us up the pitch well. I also thought that he dealt well defensively with anything that came his way.

He's unfortunate that we'll naturally compare his deliveries into the box with Borna, which isn't a fair comparison for most players, nevermind an inexperienced 21 year old.

Plenty of time for Calvin to work on that side of his game. He's young and has everything he needs to become a top player.

Another great piece of business by our recruitment team to bring him to the club.

I don’t think his crossing was anywhere near as bad as being made out here.

It was a decent chip of his into a central area that led to the second goal if I’m not mistaken.

Thought he played pretty well, needs to improve final ball but thats to be expected for someone as young as him.

If the match thread was slating him you know he was playing decent based on the mental shit that goes on in those threads

Agree with the general consensus on here,if the big fella can improve his crossing ability he's got the potential to be a very good player for us.

Calvin "the unit" Bassey had a good game. Crossing needs to improve. How that rhat never got sent off for kicking him on the ground I don't know. Can't be cited cos the whistler gave him a yellow.

It’s amazing how different people see different things. I really don’t rate him at all.

I don't have Steven Gerrard in my phone contacts. I am sure if it was purely numbers Borna would have played today.

Bassey IMO is better than 'a decent back up'. Agree he has bags of potential but he is the type to make sure he IS the best player he can be. I hope you watched his interview on here. Pretty much shows his drive and determination to do just that.

Anyway. Great game today from him.
An attacking wingback in the system we play, especially in Scotland should always be about numbers.

it’s why James Tavernier was allowed to grow into the player he became.

He was excellent, always available, defenders shit themself when he runs at them. Final ball needs to improve, but the players around him may also learn how to link up with him and offer him an outlet to feet as he gets more experience playing in the side.

He suffers a little because Nathan Patterson is around, it's as if people think a 21-year-old full back should be the finished article because we have an excellent lad coming through at 19.

An attacking wingback in the system we play, especially in Scotland should always be about numbers.

it’s why James Tavernier was allowed to grow into the player he became.
No one gets a free ride at Rangers any more re: numbers. Just saying that Bassey is a different animal to Barisic. Of course Borna is our first choice there but he is not our only choice now. I think Bassey will get similar, or slightly less, game time to Patterson this season. I also think he will do a grand job. He will make mistakes but not many players his age are the finished article.

I think he should drive into the box rather than crossing. Maybe a wee cutback from the byline rather than trying Borna crosses would suit him.

Some banger on here was saying he doesn’t offer anything different to Barisic.
It’s clear as day they are 2 very different fullbacks. He’s a very exciting player. If he can kick on the way others (Kent, Goldson etc) did in their second season then we will have an absolute gem on our hands.

I thought he was outstanding in defence, and very good in getting up the park, breaking down Livi moves, and getting the ball into dangerous areas.

Never let us down.

He is a defender first and foremost, and he was very good today.

The attacking side is mostly new to him, and it takes time and experience to develop that side of the game.

I thought he was decent today. Defended well, and tried to support going forward. Needs to lift his head before crossing too many hopefull balls. But that can be worked on

Hes absolutely fine it's an incredibly difficult skill to run with the ball and cross it accurately he will develop

A very different kind of left back to Barisic. I think crossing will always be a weaker part of his game tbh but he is an ideal back up for us just now and has lots of potential.

He is making brilliant progress. His confidence looks high and there is much much more to come from him.

Under Gerrard's management I can see him holding down a first team place especially 8f and when Borna leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back