- Linked up / one touch football
- Constantly up and down the left
- Some lovely touches
- Tenacious
- Involved inside Livingston’s box
- Read the game well
- Intelligent runs
- Desire to be involved

Only thing missing was his delivery. That can be worked on and improved.

Big man had a very good game today after an impressive pre-season.

He’s 21 and in the space of a year (a tough one at that for so many reasons) has already developed by a considerable amount in almost every aspect of his game.

Great game from a young player with little experience. He has to improve his final ball, but that will come with experience.

I love big Bassey and I think he has the potential to be a phenomenal full back but I think today showed where we miss Borna. Bassey is strong, pacey and defensively he was great, but despite getting into good positions his final ball wasn't great.

If Bassey can improve his crossing we'll l have a debate about first choice, but for now Borna is first choice comfortably.

I thought Bassey was fine.
He didn’t offer much in the final third but in the context of today’s game he did fine.

Bornas place not at threat, but he was hardly poor

Love his enthusiasm, he has a good first touch a lot of strength and pace. It is worrying that he doesn't have a look before he crosses and just seems to hit the ball as hard as he can into the box.
I'm sure that can be coached and he may well be a long term replacement for Borna. But not ready yet.
I will say he is as much a prospect as the boy at Hibs that a lot of posters feel we should bring in.

He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.
The only thing I could fault him for was his delivery into the box but he can work on that.

A solid 7/10 for me today.

Develop his crossing and he can be very good. I thought some of his defensive actions today were excellent, completely dominated their players to win the ball.

He got battered in the match thread? Talk about starting the new season with a bang...

Bassey needs to improve his final ball but his constant running, taking men on and linking up play put him down as having a really good game in my book.

Tavs delivery was equally as poor as Basseys today. did he get slaughtered in the match thread too? Its game 1 of a new season, give the players time to get up to speed ffs.

So many panty wetters on here recently

Has had a good early start to season imo. Crossing is poor, a lot of overhit crosses but hopefully working on that part of his game

First league match of the season. First competitive match of the season.
Come on to fark, the guy had a great game. He's not Barišić, we know that.

He's a player, great wee player, and with a bit of luck he would have had a goal or two :D

- Commanding
- Won almost every challenge
- Linked up / one touch football
- Constantly up and down the left
- Some lovely touches
- Tenacious
- Involved inside Livingston’s box
- Read the game well
- Intelligent runs
- Desire to be involved

Only thing missing was his delivery. That can be worked on and improved.

Big man had a very good game today after an impressive pre-season.

He’s 21 and in the space of a year (a tough one at that for so many reasons) has already developed by a considerable amount in almost every aspect of his game.
Agree delivery is actually OK to an extent its just we are used to borna who has an excellent final ball.

This will improve longer term he was sometimes to quick to put the ball in to percentage ares in box.

Other than that good game and good prospect for the future.

He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.
Agree - MOTM.

I wasn’t in the match thread today but I did see the game yes he had a few wayward crosses but apart from that he was great.

Thought he had a crackin game today. Crossing needs work but that apart he was fine.

Only skimmed the first page of this thread, and the match threads are an embarrassment during the match so tend to avoid them, but what I glanced at here seems fair

Everything good except some wild crossing

Overall a good game and crossing will improve with work

My MOTM today.
Powerhouse going forward and will take a good deal out effort to outmuscle when anyone tries to skin him but really his crossing was dreadful and Rangers can’t afford to waste balls all game long.

My MOTM today.
I though 1st half he was MOTM

powerful. pace

2nd half not as good but still impressed overall, especially in comparison to last years performances

I like him, big, strong, athletic, passionate (reaction at FT to the Govan was class) good on the big man

imagine we could take his size, pace, athleticism and combine it with Borna delivery and defending - what a player we’d have

From the limited number of games I have seen him feature in, I rate Bassey highly and feel he has a great future ahead with us.

Physically, he has been blessed with all the gifts, and with hard work, he will be on another level. He is very strong and quick. Indeed, he was dominant physically today -- our opponents could not match him, not by a long-shot.

Technically, I think he is pretty sound. I think he can improve in certain areas (for example, final ball delivery) and become a really strong player for us.

Last edited:
For me his performance was the biggest positive from today. He looked very much at home. Delivery needs worked on but that will come.

A lot of criticism of his crossing. Which is fair, but it's worth bearing in mind that Tav and Borna are both sensational at it. So it gets highlighted way more and becomes more pronounced. His energy and directness are very exciting. He's also some athlete with a good first touch and rarely messes up a pass. Very excited about this lads future with us.

Bassey is a good honest pro who won't hide or let Rangers down and will improve with the background staff and a good team behind him. He is a very good back up to Borna Barisic, that should keep Borna on his toes. Bassey is perhaps not as good as Sasa Papac was but Bassey reminds me of Stuart Munro, our very good left back from mid 80's onwards, one of those unsung workman like players who as I said won't let the team down.

I don't get the need for some to hold up his play and compare it to borna I don't think that's his game for me he's very similar to Alan Hutton if he can work on a few adjustments in his game he can be a very good replacement for Borna when the time comes

I like him, I’m just not sure he’s full back in our current system.

He’s an absolute fucking unit, I think eventually he’ll move to centre half and succeed.

Just as Patterson's delivery is nowhere near as good as Tav's, Bassey's is nowhere near as good as Borna's.
That will come in time.

Delivery aside, there isn't a massive drop off in the quality between our first choice and back up full backs.

We've definitely got the best 4 full backs in the league.

Delivers a cross like Dominick Diamond, but his movement and getting himself back and forth was spot on today. That he stood up and confronted the boy who booted him probably saved the guy a red, but showed we are a team of units ready to push back anyone who tries that. Will get a lotta games this season, probably see him next in the Dunfermline cup game to give Borna rest there, then against your bottom six jobbers as the season goes on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back