Calvin Bassey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was happy with his performance yesterday. He showed great control on the run from a Goldson ( not sure) long ball. Give the guy time, he'll improve with our coaching staff.

Man, if his delivery improves what a player we have on our hands.
I can see why they see a future at centre half for him, given the size of the boy.

Barisic’s crossing is outstanding you can’t expect him to just slot in at the same level.

What an athlete though
Exactly instead of asking him to be a replica of someone else let him be his own player, a couple of times in the first half he was past his man.and nobody near him and he sent in a poor cross, I would like to have seen him take it in towards goal and draw someone out of position.

When I was playing (albeit at a very low standard) he’s the sort of big unit I’d look st and think “Shite. I’m staying out of his way for the next 90 minutes.”

Thought he was a unit yesterday and wasn't scared to get forward. Hope Borna is helping work on his crossing - can't think of a better tutor in Scotland.

He was fine bar some errant crosses but was a constant threat down the left and often we were slow in giving him the ball.

Always wanted involved

The thing I noticed

At least 2 or 3 times he misplaced crosses he could have continued to drive to the by line or into the box which also can create as much havoc as a good cross

He doesn’t have that unique crossing technique that Borna has but Borna doesn’t have the ability to batter through defenders like a bowling ball

It’s unfair to compare them but Bassey should be driving into the box more
….defenders will either shite it or foul him

Bassey has huge potential. He’s got everything to be a top player either at left back or centre half. Borna’s delivery is unreal but say you had Borna at 21 yrs old…is he as good as Bassey is now? No I don’t think so.

We’ve got a big prospect here Bears.

The position he plays it’s essential he can cross a ball. He can’t. He needs put out on loan. Only way he will develop.

Not saying he is ronaldo here before i get slaughtered but his final ball wasmt great as a lad. It will come

- Commanding
- Won almost every challenge
- Linked up / one touch football
- Constantly up and down the left
- Some lovely touches
- Tenacious
- Involved inside Livingston’s box
- Read the game well
- Intelligent runs
- Desire to be involved

Only thing missing was his delivery. That can be worked on and improved.

Big man had a very good game today after an impressive pre-season.

He’s 21 and in the space of a year (a tough one at that for so many reasons) has already developed by a considerable amount in almost every aspect of his game.
Agree delivery is actually OK to an extent its just we are used to borna who has an excellent final ball.

This will improve longer term he was sometimes to quick to put the ball in to percentage ares in box.

Other than that good game

There's obviously a raw edge to his play
There's obviously a few departments where he could improve on
There's obviously a big difference between him & Borna

But IMO all the right signs are there
He's got a much more robust style to most of our players & I can't help thinking many of his critics are letting that cloud their judgement
Because IMO there's loads of talent in there & it only needs a bit of fine tuning

He's not getting too many chances to settle & improve with us right now - but that's what happens when you have two players for every position

- If we were to loan him out - Borna would not have someone breathing down his neck & we'd be short of cover in the event of injuries or suspensions
So it's a non-starter for me

As for Bassey's development- well playing 2nd fiddle is all part of a young players learning curve & difficult as it may be - it needn't be a negative experience - not all loan spells are successful either

I'll be patient with him - but to be honest I think he's coming along just fine

Fair play to the big man, made his mistake with the covid breach but he’s obviously been putting the minutes in pre season to get another chance, great attitude to have.

Very good back up to Borna

He might have been the man of the first 45 but he faded slightly in the second,All in all a really decent game.

Thought he had a really good game. Obviously he can work on his final ball but at 21 is in a fantastic position to only get better. The perfect backup.

Really like Bassey, has the makings of a very good player but just needs polishing up a little. Gets in great positions then seems to just get a bit over excited. Maybe he just needs to take a second to compose himself but sure that’ll come in time.

He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.
Thought he had a great game his crossing into the box needs to be worked on but as a defender he is solid and will definitely push bornq

Man, if his delivery improves what a player we have on our hands.
I can see why they see a future at centre half for him, given the size of the boy.
We signed him as a cb then changed his position hes learning for a big guy he he has alot of pace and close control is outstanding he models his game on Marcelo totally different from barisc

I might sound like a grumpy old man but Bassey annoyed me with the way he behaved when the trophy was being lifted, particularly the way he was right at the front holding his phone in the air.

A good few photos were spoiled because his phone was up in the air covering up the face of another player who was standing behind him.

It seems kind of immature for footballers to be carrying their phones about with them during trophy liftings, I certainly don't recall remember seeing this at any other trophy liftings I have seen. Aribo and Morelos were doing it too. I hope it is a trend that does not catch on.

I might sound like a grumpy old man but Bassey annoyed me with the way he behaved when the trophy was being lifted, particularly the way he was right at the front holding his phone in the air.

A good few photos were spoiled because his phone was up in the air covering up the face of another player who was standing behind him.

It seems kind of immature for footballers to be carrying their phones about with them during trophy liftings, I certainly don't recall remember seeing this at any other trophy liftings I have seen. Aribo and Morelos were doing it too. I hope it is a trend that does not catch on.
Lsst title we won would have been Motorola bricks mate and your right you sound like a grumpy guy if that's all you wanna winge about

Lsst title we won would have been Motorola bricks mate and your right you sound like a grumpy guy if that's all you wanna winge about

Yeah it is a minor gripe.

I mean in other major leagues in other countries I don't see players walking around with their phones up in the air during trophy liftings, that was the first time I have seen that kind of behaviour anyway.

For all those saying his crossing is not as good as Borna’s you need to remember he is 7 years younger and therefore has time on his side to develop this.

Yeah it is a minor gripe.

I mean in other major leagues in other countries I don't see players walking around with their phones up in the air during trophy liftings, that was the first time I have seen that kind of behaviour anyway.

That’s because it’s the first time we’ve had COVID. No fans, family or friends allowed in to celebrate so the players had their phones to share the moment with those that weren’t able to be there.

Maybe while he is working on his final ball and crossing it would be an option to think more statically and play for corner kicks and throw ins in the advanced third of the pitch .

another option might be to try to centralise his position on occasion and let a shot fly for the back post , make it bounce eg and that brings the deep rhs guys into the options too .

just some thoughts on getting product out of his play while he skills up.

I really like him. His crossing needs a lot of coaching and I have every confidence in our coaching team.

Fast, powerful, decent passer, and can dribble. He hasn't much experience. He's going to be a very good player for us in a couple of years. Learning from Borba will be great for him.

In fairness to Bassey in the comparisons to Borna, it took Borna some time at Rangers to get to that level. I’d bet Bassey is going to get there too. It’s just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back