Came across a superb blog post detailing the story of Rangers kits under the Nike era (97-01)

AyrshireRangers0508

I’m glad it mentions the red socks with black tops that were launched with the 2001/02 kit. Most seem to have forgotten this weird aberration.

The McEwan’s lager Nike home and away tops were my first ever rangers tops and hold great memories for me, probably my favourites

I’m glad it mentions the red socks with black tops that were launched with the 2001/02 kit. Most seem to have forgotten this weird aberration.
The red socks were not that weird, we've had red socks with our home kit often over the years.
I'm sure there was a big thing around 2000 that our black socks with red tops were sectarian, the old up to our knees thing.
Possibly why we changed it, caving as usual.

Excellent. Read both parts, suppose I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to the history of Rangers strips. Glad it confirmed I didn’t imagine that we wore red socks with black tops in one game against the mentally challengeds, I was starting to think I was going doolally.

The thing I remember most about this was that at the start of these arrangements, Queersie was castigating Nike as corporate evil personified, but when they later got into bed with tgu, they were just symbolic of champions, suppliers to the sporting elite, etc.

An unbelievable u-turn which he thought none of us would notice.

When we played the bheasts with red socks and black tops I never even noticed it at the time. Funnily enough many years later on here was when it was brought to my attention. Somebody posted a pic showing the fact.

The subsequent blog about us producing our own kit with Diadora paying to have their logo advertised was really interesting as well, something that I'd heard about before but hadn't seen covered in great detail. Surprised Murrays ego allowed him to do it rather than sticking with a world-renowned brand.

The red socks were not that weird, we've had red socks with our home kit often over the years.
I'm sure there was a big thing around 2000 that our black socks with red tops were sectarian, the old up to our knees thing.
Possibly why we changed it, caving as usual.

We changed as Advocaat didn’t like the black socks, reading that blog it appears the Little General had quite an impact on kit design under Nike.

Still my favourite kit along with 7/8 in a row and 9 in a row

image.jpg

Loved our white NTL tops

True story I ran the Bluenose marathon in Halifax NS, 2010 in the white Nike Rangers shirt, my first ever full. Going up the last major hill on the Dartmouth side and a guy in a blue Rangers shirt passes me. We had a wtf moment together, he was a second generation Canadian RFC supporter from Ontario. It’s unplanned meetings like this with fellow RFC supporters that makes life fabulous

True story I ran the Bluenose marathon in Halifax NS, 2010 in the white Nike Rangers shirt, my first ever full. Going up the last major hill on the Dartmouth side and a guy in a blue Rangers shirt passes me. We had a wtf moment together, he was a second generation Canadian RFC supporter from Ontario. It’s unplanned meetings like this with fellow RFC supporters that makes life fabulous

That’s so good!

One chase that you didn't welcome lol. That's a good story op

Unsure if the guy who wrote that posts on here, but his stuff is great. Some detail on it.

Sure he does some work for Museum Of Jerseys as well, which is another really good source of info.

Back