Can Jamie Murphy be the missing 10 when fit?

BrownBrogues

Reason I say this, Kent has Left berth. I can't see Kent break Liverpool Squad, but suspect Klopp will give him a Pre-Season before allowing him to leave on loan again and I can only see him come back to Rangers after some tough loans that never worked out.

Gerrard says it will probably be the last few games of the season before Jamie returns, but I think when he does the 10 role would suit him. If you look at Hibs away last game of last season, and Corthinians in the Florida cup, when he came Central his link up with Morelos was superb in both games. He can make late runs, scored plenty in his career from out the box (See goal V Motherwell away last March).

interested to hear if you agree or not?

I don't see any reason why not.
He's a player that I think is slightly under rated by our support.
If not a number 10 then most certainly an able deputy for it.
Sooner he is back the better in my opinion.

He does tend to cut in to the central position anyway and seems to do well, ain’t the worst idea but we still need to find a quality central midfielder in the summer who can play that role, a player who can see and produce a pass that can split defences and chip in with the goals

I have thought several times this season when we were struggling to break down packed defences that we have missed him. Doesn't fit into the fast breaking team that Gerrard seems to like but was always useful in that situation. Beating one man and finding a teammate.

Don't see him as a 10 but more of an inside forward. I think he would have scored more goals than either Kent of Candeias - we are badly lacking goals from our wide players.

I'll add, I think this is what we wanted from Grezda but for various reasons he hasn't delivered (yet).

We have missed him this season. His ability to stretch defences and make space for his team mates has been missed most apparently in those games where we have dropped points to lesser teams.

He likes a dig from the edge of the box, something we definitely miss.
We don't play with a 10, it's more a Gerrard type we're after. Tough, strong, can cut a defence in 2 with short and long passing, and can strike from distance. Every team in Britain is after that type of player though.

Not sure about number 10 but he certainly would’ve chipped in with a fair few goals this season had he stayed fit which is frustrating

Jamie Murphy was the whipping before before he was injured. Regular complaints and regular talk of how he was our weak link.

He’s a much a better player than he was given credit for. But time out does wonders for players reputations on here, it feels like only yesterday we were in our first season back in the top flight and Jason Holt was going to come back from injury and solidify our midfield.

Arfield has been doing the AMF Role (10 Role) that is the position when Arfield is out injured we really struggle to cover.
Was about to ask 'who for?' If it's Arfield it may be worth a look although IMHO I think Murphy needs more room than he'd get in there. I'd have brought Steve Davis on at HT for Arfield the other night. Playing against ten men and playing professionally as we were I thought it was an ideal opportunity to give the wee man game time, build his confidence and let him slot passes through. Gerrard typically doesn't do 'early' subs, though.

Not a number 10 in my opinion, he is always a goal threat cutting inside though. I think more liable to score from the edge of the box which should help against teams who sit in. I expect him to play more often on the right with Kent doing well and Grezda lurking.

It seems a lifetime ago, but he was absolutely outstanding in the first game of the season at Pittordrie when we went down to 10 men.

I know he really impressed Gerrard in the Marbella training camp and I'm pretty sure he'd have featured regularly this season.

Scores and assists consistently as well too.

He's been a big miss.

Reason I say this, Kent has Left berth. I can't see Kent break Liverpool Squad, but suspect Klopp will give him a Pre-Season before allowing him to leave on loan again and I can only see him come back to Rangers after some tough loans that never worked out.

Gerrard says it will probably be the last few games of the season before Jamie returns, but I think when he does the 10 role would suit him. If you look at Hibs away last game of last season, and Corthinians in the Florida cup, when he came Central his link up with Morelos was superb in both games. He can make late runs, scored plenty in his career from out the box (See goal V Motherwell away last March).

interested to hear if you agree or not?
I think he possibly could.He is capable of driving forward from midfield with the ball,I believe we need 2 of that type,maybe young Docherty could step up.

I think he possibly could.He is capable of driving forward from midfield with the ball,I believe we need 2 of that type,maybe young Docherty could step up.

I would like us to go out in the summer and buy a Rolls Royce of an AMF a play maker who can score from the Midfield. We rarely score off long shots or from keeper parrying. Halliday is the only one who gives it a dig sometimes.

I would like us to go out in the summer and buy a Rolls Royce of an AMF a play maker who can score from the Midfield. We rarely score off long shots or from keeper parrying. Halliday is the only one who gives it a dig sometimes.
Yes our MFS are good players but are more defensive minded,young Docherty seems to be playing well as an advanced midfielder at Shrewsbury

No. It’s the position we will have to spend money on in the Summer. That and a striker if Alfie leaves. We need an experienced number10 who can open up defences and has the confidence to score from distance ,a Fergusson type and that will take money.

Jamie Murphy was the whipping boy before before he was injured. Regular complaints and regular talk of how he was our weak link.

He’s a much a better player than he was given credit for.
But time out does wonders for players reputations on here, it feels like only yesterday we were in our first season back in the top flight and Jason Holt was going to come back from injury and solidify our midfield.

I agree entirely !

No. It’s the position we will have to spend money on in the Summer. That and a striker if Alfie leaves. We need an experienced number10 who can open up defences and has the confidence to score from distance ,a Fergusson type and that will take money.
Ferguson wasn’t a no.10 type.

Murphy is direct, has good pace and is a pretty decent finisher.

A number 10 has to have a better touch, vision and ability to both see and execute a killer pass. Technically I would liken Murphy to Arfield. Neither are good enough to be the creative driving force we require.

I like Jamie Murphy, I think he's someone who brings goals to our team, proved that last season and didn't he score an important goal for us before his injury?

Hopefully we get Kent on a permanent deal, if not, that would explain having Jordan Jones being able to switch between Jones, Murphy or Middleton. Maybe Gerrard feels Murphy could be used through the middle? Not sure, just a thought given the options we have, then again, we don't know who will be in and who will be out the door in the summer.

I think he’s of a similar level to guys we have like Arfield, Jack, Candeias, etc.

Ultimately we need better if we want to kick it up a level, but he’ll be a useful squad player, IMO.

No, he's not very good.
Squad player at best going forward.
Didn't think he would be starting much prior to his injury apart from as a squad player and we need better still next season.
Nonsense. Not sure where to start with this. Murphy is our second biggest attacking threat by a distance

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. However I liked Murphy before the "absence". Looking forward to him returning to give us another option.

I think he's arguably our best wide/attacking link up man but it's marginal-he hasn't been here that long and had dropped off a bit before injury.

Not sure if he's a no.10, do think we are stronger with a JM in the team byt whether he's going to give us the upgrade required is up for debate.

He must of improved a lot through injury. Not even nearly as good as Kent, and we need better. He'll be a decent option from the bench or as cover.
He’s a better and more effective player than Kent. Scores and creates far more goals.

Because he's too good,not good Enough?
I’m pretty sure you know the answer to that question. If not, then it’s because I believe he won’t ever be good enough. No harm to him, and I’d love to be proved wrong, but I never seen any aspect of his game, that looked particularly promising .

Back