Can we make a difference to Tav?

midlandbear

The grief we have given tav on here has been way too much on here IMO.
However I can’t help but feel that the comment he gets so much of it for (about us struggling with pressure) might very well be more of a self reflection. Something he feels within himself but doesn’t want to admit.

My question is, with him clearly being at his best when he is confident and the team are playing well, can WE be the difference between having a good full back and an Excellent full back?

Many players have come and gone, who have done much less for us and have still commanded better support and even had sang a song for them. Tav has never been given that individual show of encouragement from us and I genuinely think it could make a massive difference to what we see on the pitch consistently.

Tav suffers from being one of the players still left from that era and the fact he was at fault for a couple of important goals.
I'm guilty of thinking like that too, watching him at hampden get skinned left a memory but he's given us so much more than he's given away.

It's up to Tav and not the support to win a trophy, that will define his career with us

Genuine question. When was the last time in an old firm game you saw forest or mcgregor etc skin tav?

I don’t think it’s happened since gerrard arrived. Yet due to him playing a big part in some of our car crash performances under Warburton, Murty and Pedro I think we all just associate him being utterly skinned versus them. The reality is he is a very good one on one defender - it’s The off the ball stuff that can let him down.

Tav suffers from being one of the players still left from that era and the fact he was at fault for a couple of important goals.
I'm guilty of thinking like that too, watching him at hampden get skinned left a memory but he's given us so much more than he's given away.

It's up to Tav and not the support to win a trophy, that will define his career with us

But if we know that he needs the lift to get him over the winning line, isn’t it our duty to give him that lift?
Do we sit back and just say “you need to do it yourself pal” if we know we can make the difference?
Bottom line is, we know he’s a confidence player and we have never singled him out for positive treatment, only negative.
It’s well known that the best man managers know the difference between someone who reacts to a kick in the arsè and someone who reacts to feeling loved. Can you remember a time where the effort has been made to make him feel loved as our captain?

This

Supports don’t win trophies. If they did we’d win everything

This

Supports don’t win trophies. If they did we’d win everything
If support made no difference, home advantage wouldn’t exist.
The hordes have dragged that mid over the line countless times when they haven’t deserved it.

My point is simple, he has earned some individual attention. Why not give it to him?

I think the response to the comment he made is a bit of a misnomer (if I’m using that correctly – probably not, because I’m half canned). The people that rated him still rate him, the people that didn’t still don’t but now have a one-liner to boil down their opinion and pin it on.

There is absolutely no denying that Tav has had some howlers but the vast majority of his bad defending was pre-Gerrard and, rightly or wrongly, the first few seasons under Warburton etc. are still defining the supports’ perception of his defensive ability.

For the most part he’s been very solid for the past 2 and a bit seasons since he’s had teammates alongside him that can actually understand tactics and play football.

At the end of the day, there’s not one person that can question his character whether they think he’s good enough or not. The way he goes about his business is admirable and that’s with or without the support hounding him – the chips have been severely down for him at certain points throughout his time here and I don’t think there are many Rangers players that have shown the level of resilience and self-belief that he has. It’s clear that he loves the club and wants to do everything he can to make us succeed.

Win the league and 90% of the people that don’t rate him will quickly and firmly change their stance on him (and I mean that in a positive sense).

You probably can’t tell from my post but, cards on the table, I love Tav.

But if we know that he needs the lift to get him over the winning line, isn’t it our duty to give him that lift?
Do we sit back and just say “you need to do it yourself pal” if we know we can make the difference?
Bottom line is, we know he’s a confidence player and we have never singled him out for positive treatment, only negative.
It’s well known that the best man managers know the difference between someone who reacts to a kick in the arsè and someone who reacts to feeling loved. Can you remember a time where the effort has been made to make him feel loved as our captain?
There's no supporters at games right now and not likely to be for the foreseeable future. If he's hanging on to every word that FF says, which he won't be, then our Rangers captain has an issue.

Captains shouldn't need a "lift" from the support, he's meant to lead by example

For me Tav’s on the brink of legendary status at the club - but that final hurdle is a league title. If he captains us to 55 (especially if it’s this season) I think you’d see him get all the plaudits going.

As I say, he’s one step away from it. But it’s a big step.

Managers and captains who don’t win trophies are always likely to take the burden of the criticism for fans. 55 will be colossal for whatever duo bring us it. There’s no one I’d rather see do it more than Gerrard and Tav.

He needs to win that first trophy of the season then I think he will be off and running and could quite conceivably win the lot this season.
I believe we are the best team in the league, players just need to go out and show it.

Actually I'm not understanding the OP's thread at all unless it's just the usual general moan about the support.
People were also moaning he wasn't attacking enough recently, this is probably his best start to a season since he joined, assists, goals and no goals against us so far. He's doing fine

Lift the league and we will forgive anything

I’m afraid there will be question marks about Tav, especially as captain, until he lifts a trophy over his head.

That might not be fair but I think it’s the way it’s going to be. Until that moment arrives some of our support will connect him more with ‘the journey’

Personally I think too much gets made of Tav. He’s a decent defender who contributes his share to the side. He’s no Sandy Jardine, but he’s no Argyriou either. The main issue I can see is with him wearing the armband and if he wasn’t captain people wouldn’t make as much fuss about him. However, since Gerrard has stuck with him to lead the side I think it’s going to take winning a trophy until he’s viewed as a Rangers great by the majority.

Last edited:
Tav suffers a lot as he has to do a lot more than Barisic on the other side. Our left with Barisic and Kent is extremely strong. Right wing is a big problem for us IMO, and Tav has to do all the defending and attacking as well.

He's extremely underrated for me and deserves to win trophies with us. I hope he's the one that lifts the trophy for 55

I think the response to the comment he made is a bit of a misnomer (if I’m using that correctly – probably not, because I’m half canned). The people that rated him still rate him, the people that didn’t still don’t but now have a one-liner to boil down their opinion and pin it on.

There is absolutely no denying that Tav has had some howlers but the vast majority of his bad defending was pre-Gerrard and, rightly or wrongly, the first few seasons under Warburton etc. are still defining the supports’ perception of his defensive ability.

For the most part he’s been very solid for the past 2 and a bit seasons since he’s had teammates alongside him that can actually understand tactics and play football.

At the end of the day, there’s not one person that can question his character whether they think he’s good enough or not. The way he goes about his business is admirable and that’s with or without the support hounding him – the chips have been severely down for him at certain points throughout his time here and I don’t think there are many Rangers players that have shown the level of resilience and self-belief that he has. It’s clear that he loves the club and wants to do everything he can to make us succeed.

Win the league and 90% of the people that don’t rate him will quickly and firmly change their stance on him (and I mean that in a positive sense).

You probably can’t tell from my post but, cards on the table, I love Tav.
I’m not overly familiar with your posts, I guess you won’t be with mine either, but, maybe you should always be “half-canned” when you post as this makes much more sense than some of the tripe posted on here.

Tav suffers from the fact that when he makes a mistake it’s an absolute howler.

He’s actually a really good defender who makes the odd mistake at the back but contributes so much going forward that he’s allowed a mistake every now and then.

I love him, genuinely no idea why he gets the stick he does.

I've written about this before, but I was listening to someone speak about Bobby Moore a few weeks ago; I have obviously heard of Moore, and appreciated he was a great player, but this person said you never knew he was playing until he made a mistake. As soon as I heard that Tavernier came into my thoughts, because I've seen games where Tavernier had been brilliant, and simply been overlooked in his performance. I'll say this again, as well, but for me Tavernier was man of the match in the December 2018 game against Celtic; I wrote at the time that the discerning football observer would appreciate how good he was that day, because unbelievably, he was marked low out of ten by a newspaper the next day. I also wrote back then that I don't think enough has been made of Tavernier in the football world in general either; the manager had obviously noticed this better than me because he spoke about that over a week ago. Tavernier is a great player, and at times has been our most creative player; but maybe as a captain, how good he is has gone under the radar as well. We won't fully appreciate Tavernier till he's gone, possibly, and that in itself is a pity.

I like Tav although sometimes his lack of concentration is hard to defend, the fact that he never hides and is always willing to take the ball even when playing bad tells me enough about his character. His attacking play is fantastic and if his defensive play was as good he would be playing for Real Madrid.

I was in the front govan say 2 years ago and this guy in his early 30s with a young kid was giving Tav a hard time.
By that i mean language, aggression on the face and bad language.
He stunk of drink, and with a young kid.
I was embarrassed , at 53 i would never have done that.
Aye there was a time when the govan was posh yins.

Agree with most on this thread - because we’d come to expect a high level of play and consistency from him, any mistakes he made were so obvious. He was clearly low on confidence this time last season when he was getting pelters left, right and centre but he didn’t try and hide. Remember the clamour for making him Captain? We could see he had the qualities then. And that was him being in the midst of big Rangers characters (still is with the likes of Davis and McGregor). He’s clearly well respected by his teammates and has a positive persona. Six years he’s been here and I for one can’t wait til he lifts his first trophy as captain.

I think we already have.

Just by us not being allowed in the ground seems to have had a massive difference in his play this season so far.

I was agreeing with the sentiment of this thread but he's gone to pieces again since gifting Hibs their equaliser. No strength of character at all.

And so begins the retarded breakdowns.

Blaming Tav for their 2nd goal is really desperate stuff.

I’m far from his biggest fan but bamboozled as to how Tav comes under the microscope today. Our front players passing up gilt edged chances fucked us today.

I am not a hater nor am I a fan boy. My personal take is Tavernier is a good player no more no less. His stats are only half the picture as they mask his deficiencies too. For all the assists and goals how many crosses into the box are just percentage hits and wasteful far more than productive? With Borna on the left he is looking to find one of our players whereas Tavernier hits a cross to the area.

Tav plays for Rangers for a reason ,no one would buy him from EPL .
He gets so much of the ball and most it gets cleared out the box.
Both he and Borna just throw in crosses but in the main they just get cleared by defence.
Tav should take his man on and get to the byline and run more direct into box
He is missing something ,expectations are high when he moves with the ball then in most cases nothing.

Tav is prob the most divisive player we've had. For me personally he doesn't do it for me. Our bigger matches domestically and in Europe he seems to look average. Would like nothing more than to be proven wrong and I would like him to ram Chris "s#it in a bag" Suttons comments from last season down his throat.

However I can’t help but feel that the comment he gets so much of it for (about us struggling with pressure) might very well be more of a self reflection. Something he feels within himself but doesn’t want to admit.

My question is, with him clearly being at his best when he is confident and the team are playing well, can WE be the difference between having a good full back and an Excellent full back?

Many players have come and gone, who have done much less for us and have still commanded better support and even had sang a song for them. Tav has never been given that individual show of encouragement from us and I genuinely think it could make a massive difference to what we see on the pitch consistently.

A true Rangers captain does not require a song sang about them to raise their performance on the field of play, that kind of nonsense is for lesser men at lesser clubs.

Tav is a good player, and a fantastic player in low pressure games against lesser teams. Put pressure on him and not so much. For that reason I think he should not be Captain. He doesn't have the bottle for when things get tough, he's admitted as much in a match day program.

He should play, he's our best right back. But I'd be looking for a new Captain. A proper leader who can grab games by the scruff when the going gets tough and raise others games. Not the complete opposite

The problem with Tav is not his own doing. The manager made him captain and he is never a rangers captain.
As a player he is decent but not fantastic and if we had a captain in the mold of Gough etc he would flourish.
He is not and never will be a good Rangers captain and the mentality of the team has come from him. I think we have as good players as Celtic but they have winners like we did previous and we don’t. It’s that simple.

Tav is a good player and is playing well , however he is not a leader on the park and that’s what we are desperately missing

tav is average and never a full back

I am not a hater nor am I a fan boy. My personal take is Tavernier is a good player no more no less. His stats are only half the picture as they mask his deficiencies too. For all the assists and goals how many crosses into the box are just percentage hits and wasteful far more than productive? With Borna on the left he is looking to find one of our players whereas Tavernier hits a cross to the area.
And yet Borna doesn’t create any more chances than Tav. Maybe all those measured crosses get defended just as well as Tav’s “percentage” balls.
Or maybe we have 2 exceptionally good attacking full backs who contribute a shed load of chances for the team.
It’s no coincidence this has become a mantra on the back of a couple of passes from Barisic that Kent has finished. Tav plays plenty of similar balls but maybe the guy inside him isn’t as good as Kent

How do we do that when the stadia are empty? Love the idea, but it's pointless without 50,000 bears inside Ibrox.

Back