Can we really win the league this season?

Yes but I have these questions first.
Will our players allow it? What I mean by that is do they have the character?
Have they got over there fear of playing for Rangers?
Will they have learned anything from the from slump we hit in January?
Has Gerrard and his backroom team learned anything from it?
Will playing in front of no fans at Ibrox lessen any advantage we have over the opposition or it will it allow our players to play with more freedom?
With the transfer speculation around Alfie, will it have unsettled even more of what can be a volatile character?
Have we learned ro overcome the low block?

We need luck to be on our side this season. We need some flukey goals in matches if we are seen to be struggling. We need Celtic to some have some significant injuries. If brown gets injured would be a bonus as he drives them on.
If possible we need a points gap which would heap the pressure on them too. Hopefully a fixture backlog for them too would be good as they still have extra SC games to play.

We arent miles away from them when you compare the 2 teams player by player. The problem is other teams in our league dont lay a glove on them meaning we basically need to win every game to win the league which is difficult.

With the current squad no. I think it’s an absolute must that Morelos is sold this summer (for the right money of course). Referees will be constantly watching him like a hawk desperate to book him or send him off and every new controversy involving him is another distraction we could do without. If we can sell him for £18m or so, and replace him with quality (Maja and Roofe) and sign a powerful midfielder that won’t be bullied and chip in with goals and I think we’ll win it. But as things stand we have more or less the same squad that has bottled it for two years on the trot.

I think anything prior to this season goes out the window. Look at when they stopped 10 in a row. Based on prior years you wouldn't say they were gonna win the league. Based on prior years we couldn't say we are.

Take this season in isolation. There's going to be places that are difficult to go (rugby park, Tony macaroni etc) where both us and them usually fill 2or 3 sides of the stadium. That takes home advantage away from teams we play. That's won't be a thing at least for the first couple of months. Even home games for us and them might not intimidate teams as much with no fans in place. I honestly think it'll be a war of attrition this year. Points will be dropped where they wouldn't usually be.

My heart says yes we can win the league. We have a team who on their day are a match for anyone in the league (and a lot of European opposition) but for some reason we can't remain consistent against the "lesser" teams.
My head feels like it remembers the heartbreak of the last 2 seasons and looking closer before losing it.

We absolutely can win it... But that doesn't mean we will. All I ask is that the 11 guys picked every week leave it all on the pitch for us

Not with the squad in its current condition on reliance on Alfie not to go mental at some point or have a big drop in form

The one team I'd be confident of beating right now is the Yahoos. Recent games (shocking officials aside) prove that.
It's finding the back of the net against the so-called dross that's the issue, despite dominating possession in almost every game.
Easy to say, but score more regularly and the League is ours.

Keep it civil please.

And there's nothing wrong with that post.
Objectively, they have a better squad than we currently do – the last two seasons prove that.
Nobody's disputing that their squad has a greater strength in depth. But come on, we play our first game on Saturday. First game. And we have rangers fans stating there's no way we can win it? Sticks in my throat a bit.

I think we can - however - i feel that some fans desire to stop 10 will put too much pressure on players - it’s not talent or ability that’s the issue - but our preseason results or indeed last seasons Europe we played without pressure

They are just more consistent than us, I'm not worried about games against them, we will win 1 or 2 and they will prob win 1 or 2. They just don't drop many other points. We need to cut out the really silly games where we don't kill games off against Hamilton, St j etc.

We should mount a better challenge this season up to the last winter's break we showed we can beat them but I think we do need a Captain that will motivate his team mates and kick a few arse's for me we haven't got anyone in the squad to do that. We get off to a flyer then the pressure is on the scum.

I hate this frame of mind that says if a supporter looks at the reality of our situation instead of going into fantasy mode he’s somehow “pathetic” or displaying a “disgusting attitude”.

As it stands the personnel for the two squads is more or less the same as it was last season, and last season their personnel were a huge number of points in front of ours and on course for another treble, so how the fùck can anyone argue against that guy’s point? There’s nothing wrong with being realistic, sticking your fingers in your ears and saying “that’s a pathetic attitude, they’re not better” might get you staunch points but it won’t actually alter reality or make us any better.

At this point our best hope is that they capitulate either due to TLB falling out with his players or due to them suffering some serious injuries, because they’ve demonstrated that when their side is fully fit and functioning they’re much better at putting wins together than us. Of course outside of that our best bet is to get 3 or 4 qualify signings in to go straight into the starting 11, but with the season starting in a couple of days that isn’t likely.
I couldn't give a flying fvck about being staunch. Look over any posts i've ever made. I'm also a realist and fully recognise they are in a better place. But to say we CAN'T win? Yet you hate my attitude for saying we can even though it'll be difficult? No bother.

I think we need to improve. I think winning the league will be very difficult. I think we should be up for the fight instead of rolling over before a ball is even kicked.
So you are more or less saying no. Doesnt matter what I or anyone else says on a forum like this, we aren't playing. If the team are struggling on the pitch it wont be because someone says they wont win the league on FF. As quite a few other people have said this squad lacks consistency, that should be a bigger concern than someone like me giving an opinion

The one team I'd be confident of beating right now is the Yahoos. Recent games (shocking officials aside) prove that.
It's finding the back of the net against the so-called dross that's the issue, despite dominating possession in almost every game.
Easy to say, but score more regularly and the League is ours.

They haven't signed a single player yet - only retained the Southampton sand dancer

Let's look at the question the other way:

Do celtic simply just have to turn up?

Cabal or not, I think they will drop points this year (or at least be at severe risk of dropping points before the inevitable last minute winner they so often get). They are not invincible, they will have to work hard, and although they will be favourites, it is not a foregone conclusion by any means that they will win. Therefore, we must conclude that yes... We can win the league.

It would be no disgrace if we didn't. This year is no more important than any other year despite what the mhedia are telling us to try ramp up the pressure. This is just another season in our unstoppable road to recovery. We have some so far, and what IS inevitable is that 55 is coming. We all know it is a question now of when not if.

And I am 100% convinced Gerrard will be here for it!

We definitely CAN, but we need this Morelos situation sorted quickly, and more bodies in.

The badly aligned transfer windows has done us no favours at all.

Outside the filth we have a better chance than any other Scottish side in the past 8 years.
We need to improve, if we beat our points total and don't capitulate at the halfway point I'm not sure we can ask for much more league wise. Whether it's enough remains to be seen, but add in a domestic cup and group stage minimum it will be a successful step on our journey

And that’s fair enough, bud.
Just keep it civil please.

And let’s hope to fuck we do win the league!

He seems to be suggest we all enjoy it! We are totally desperate for us to have at least 3 or 4 quality signings that can get us challenging and hopefully winning.
It is not being a defeatist for saying the team that has failed the last 2 seasons is not suddenly going to have us challenging unless we bring in some quality to bolster it.

So you are more or less saying no. Doesnt matter what I or anyone else says on a forum like this, we aren't playing. If the team are struggling on the pitch it wont be because someone says they wont win the league on FF. As quite a few other people have said this squad lacks consistency, that should be a bigger concern than someone like me giving an opinion
Don't put words in my mouth please. I most certainly am not "more or less saying no" to the question of "can we win this league?". For clarity, my answer to that question is yes, we can. Do I think it'll be easy? Of course not. We must improve our consistency to achieve it. That is 100% not the same thing.

Can't see that we're doing anything to address the leadership/mentality issue. Agree, disagree or go completely tonto with the necessity of that statement but you can't argue with the truth of it so how can we expect there'll be an improvement in the consistency of results, if not performance?

Last edited:
Tbh cant see it got a feeling we're gonna suffer at the hands of officials big time this season clancy's interview the other day has set the tone imo

I know re depth of squad and transfer changes that it is unlikely but I just have a feeling that this team are ready to take a title. There seems to be a more focussed and stronger attitude in the pre season games but consistency of form will be the key.

Don't put words in my mouth please. I most certainly am not "more or less saying no" to the question of "can we win this league?". For clarity, my answer to that question is yes, we can. Do I think it'll be easy? Of course not. We must improve our consistency to achieve it. That is 100% not the same thing.
I'll ask the question directly,will Rangers win the league? Yes or no?

He seems to be suggest we all enjoy it! We are totally desperate for us to have at least 3 or 4 quality signings that can get us challenging and hopefully winning.
It is not being a defeatist for saying the team that has failed the last 2 seasons is not suddenly going to have us challenging unless we bring in some quality to bolster it.
I agree with part of your post. We are all desperate to mount a serious challenge (which we did for the majority of last season). We would I'm sure love another 3 or 4 starters to be signed that would help the lads already there. I don't however think I've suggested anything close to us enjoying being 2nd, or whatever you may have meant there. Strange comment. I feel you've misinterpreted my opinion, which is that i disagree wholeheartedly with people saying "celtic will win the league" before a ball is kicked. Celtic might win the league. So might we. I'm happy to discuss areas of weakness in our squad, but i'm damn sure i'll not be conceding anything to that lot or anyone else without a fight purely because the odds aren't in our favour. Hopefully you can see the difference.

It's all ifs and buts at the moment. We already know the current squad can't. Just need to wait and see who/what we add to it.

I agree with part of your post. We are all desperate to mount a serious challenge (which we did for the majority of last season). We would I'm sure love another 3 or 4 starters to be signed that would help the lads already there. I don't however think I've suggested anything close to us enjoying being 2nd, or whatever you may have meant there. Strange comment. I feel you've misinterpreted my opinion, which is that i disagree wholeheartedly with people saying "celtic will win the league" before a ball is kicked. Celtic might win the league. So might we. I'm happy to discuss areas of weakness in our squad, but i'm damn sure i'll not be conceding anything to that lot or anyone else without a fight purely because the odds aren't in our favour. Hopefully you can see the difference.

You base it on the evidence in front of you.
Our team is capable of beating them in a one off game. In two years though we have shown we are weak mentally and will collapse and drop points when teams sit back against us.
So unless we improve the quality of the first team with about 3/4 quality players then yes this team isn’t good enough to win the league, as the last 2 seasons have proved it.

Sorry mate, don't have my crystal ball with me this morning. I hope so. I believe we can. I believe it will be difficult, but doable.
Nobody has a crystal ball (well not a working one). One of my earlier responses was that there are too many ifs about the current squad, I stand by that.So far you have told me to gtf, answered a direct question with a vague response "hope so" "I believe" "difficult but doable"
I dont think Rangers will win the league, that's an honest opinion. Im only asking that you give an honest answer instead of the sarcasm and telling me to gtf.

You base it on the evidence in front of you.
Our team is capable of beating them in a one off game. In two years though we have shown we are weak mentally and will collapse and drop points when teams sit back against us.
So unless we improve the quality of the first team with about 3/4 quality players then yes this team isn’t good enough to win the league, as the last 2 seasons have proved it.
That's fair comment mate. I believe it's more grey than black/white, that's all. Remember, I'm answering the OP who posed the question of "can we win". I think it's crazy to have a mindset of "no we can't". Doesn't mean I'm not aware of the difficulties, trust me I am. It's why I'm a nervous wreck at every old firm.

Nobody has a crystal ball (well not a working one). One of my earlier responses was that there are too many ifs about the current squad, I stand by that.So far you have told me to gtf, answered a direct question with a vague response "hope so" "I believe" "difficult but doable"
I dont think Rangers will win the league, that's an honest opinion. Im only asking that you give an honest answer instead of the sarcasm and telling me to gtf.
I gave an honest answer. You've asked me to predict the future, which the OP didn't do. He asked, "can we". I think we can, yes. I will however retract the gtf comment as I'm sure you want to win as much as me.

That's fair comment mate. I believe it's more grey than black/white, that's all. Remember, I'm answering the OP who posed the question of "can we win". I think it's crazy to have a mindset of "no we can't". Doesn't mean I'm not aware of the difficulties, trust me I am. It's why I'm a nervous wreck at every old firm.

As am I with every old firm game.

Can we win it? Yes we could, but evidence shows it is highly unlikely unless we change the team.
If we keep the same team we have at the moment then I think we will once again win %^*& all, as you can’t trust these players mentality to maintain a challenge.

I gave an honest answer. You've asked me to predict the future, which the OP didn't do. He asked, "can we". I think we can, yes. I will however retract the gtf comment as I'm sure you want to win as much as me.
Thank you. Yes we both (and everyone else on here) want to win. Maybe I'm more a half empty rather than half full kinda person. End of the day we do agree we want it, its just that I cant see it happening and you think we can. It really is about opinions at this stage but we dont have to fall out about having a different one from each other.

Think some people underestimate how much of a massive impact Hagi can have.

Kent has had a full pre-season.

They both and Aribo are a year older, developing all the time, and are more used to the Scottish game.

Might look like 'the same squad' but its constantly getting better, and I think we will mount a much stronger challenge this year.

Can we? Yes

Will we have a chance to? No way. The powers that currently rule this game in Scotland will NEVER let that happen. They just got away with blatant mismanagement and obvious corruption. They will make sure that there are enough roadblocks in our way.

If not, and we are in the lead, they will call the league and use some convenient new way to declare the winner. I put NOTHING past these scumbags.
It’s as if some of our supporters have a mental block on the officiating last season and the absolute criminality the gangster squad got away with recently, some have the memory of a goldfish or incredibly just don’t see a problem.

It’s as if some of our supporters have a mental block on the officiating last season and the absolute criminality the gangster squad got away with recently, some have the memory of a goldfish or incredibly just don’t see a problem.
You'd hope given everything that's happened over the summer our board will be much more prepared to call out any visible corruption this season than last. I won't hold my breath though.

We can, and we have shown we can go head to head with that lot. What happens against the smaller teams will decide the title.
We need players in and we need to start this season with a mentality we haven’t had for the past few years and carry it on to the last game

You'd hope given everything that's happened over the summer our board will be much more prepared to call out any visible corruption this season than last. I won't hold my breath though.
No I definitely wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening mate.

Can we? Yes absolutely
Will we be allowed to? Probably not, no
if you honestly think we wont be allowed to , is there any point watching?

We need to drop the conspiracy / cabal nonsense and start doing it on the pitch.
Rag doll the lesser teams as we should be doing and take our chances when they come in the derby games.

At this moment in time as the squads stand no I dont think we will win the league, far too many ifs and buts in the equation for us to win it.

if you honestly think we wont be allowed to , is there any point watching?

We need to drop the conspiracy / cabal nonsense and start doing it on the pitch.
Rag doll the lesser teams as we should be doing and take our chances when they come in the derby games.
Sure, no worries.
Let's drop the so-called "nonsense" and let them rip the utter chunt out of us, pissing themselves laughing in the process.
Because that's exactly what they did, wasn't it? They said it was fine, there's no bias or conspiracy? Absolutely no chance they were settling for any less than an anti-celtic (Don't let them say anti-Catholic, Hibs get feck all against them either) conspiracy. Oh how we laughed at their paranoia. Oh how they kicked and screamed into top positions, setting their own agenda.

Oh how we're no longer laughing.

Sure, no worries.
Let's drop the so-called "nonsense" and let them rip the utter chunt out of us, pissing themselves laughing in the process.
Because that's exactly what they did, wasn't it? They said it was fine, there's no bias or conspiracy? Absolutely no chance they were settling for any less than an anti-celtic (Don't let them say anti-Catholic, Hibs get feck all against them either) conspiracy. Oh how we laughed at their paranoia. Oh how they kicked and screamed into top positions, setting their own agenda.

Oh how we're no longer laughing.
On the field is the only thing that matters though. if you honestly believe that the refs are going out their way to cheat us though, there is no point in us playing, or the fans watching. Just give the tims the title just now.

all the board room and court stuff has been done to death. When they announced the panel for hearts arbitration, most were happy as it could not be appointed by SFA/SPFL. Then when the decision does not go the way most thought, the screams of conspiracy again!!!

Rig
On the field is the only thing that matters though. if you honestly believe that the refs are going out their way to cheat us though, there is no point in us playing, or the fans watching. Just give the tims the title just now.

all the board room and court stuff has been done to death. When they announced the panel for hearts arbitration, most were happy as it could not be appointed by SFA/SPFL. Then when the decision does not go the way most thought, the screams of conspiracy again!!!
Right you are, mate.

I seem to remember a time when they all kicked up absolute %^*& with the referees, that they caused a referee strike, and foreign referees had to be brought in. It would appear, to many, that the intimidation worked.
If you honestly believe that the referees in this country give us a fair crack of the whip over an entire season, then good luck to you. If you honestly believe that the referees in this country call it fairly, and evenly, then good luck to you.

Back