Can we really win the league this season?

The whole thing about leaders has been done to death.

Impossible to predict a league with the transfer window open for another 2 months.

Chances are us and the tims will look pretty different by the start of October.

The team that buys/loans right will win the league.

The team with the best players wins the league, the whole leaders argument is just an excuse and majorly overstated on here.

Valid points.

Iv learned over the last few years not to get too carried away. I'll not start genuinely beleiving we have a chance until we are near neck and neck / ahead of them going into the split, until then i'll always have the worry that we will lose consistency like we are renowned for. Ability isnt the issue, its consistency

Not far wrong, if we’re an enormous giraffe and they’re a James Forrest.

Wow, trolling fellow Rangers fans. Well done lads.
It's hardly trolling. If people are willing to put their head above the parapet with bold statements, they do so knowing they are open to a bit of banter should they make a Jeremy Hunt of it. Which a number of people in this thread did.

It's just a laugh given how elated we all currently are.

It's also nice every now and then to allow people to look back on some of the hotter takes/more hysterical moments, as a touchstone for future moments

Am not sure we can win the title to be honest there is still 8 games to go and a lot off football to be played and if you add in to the mix were only 18 points clear well the poets are really close its gonna be close am so worried oh no a cant look

Personally, I’ve never been happier to be completely wrong about something. I don’t see any issue bumping these threads for a laugh either, I’ve done it before, and I’d rather face up and take the ribbing than hide away and pretend it never happened ala the “punt Morelos for £2m” and “get that shitebag Barisic out of here” brigades. I did say that if this team did it I’d offer my apologies and kowtow to every one of them. That hasn’t changed, when it’s official I’ll have some apologies to make and some arses to kiss.

But if me being very wrong means Rangers are doing it right, then I’m absolutely fine with being very wrong B-D (plus I was due to get one wrong eventually, what with my superb track record, and I don’t think my pessimism was unreasonable either given the shit show that was the second half of the two previous seasons:shh:)

Here, that could have been worse.

I was on a downer after our second January collapse, but I always retained that even if we didn’t win the league this year but had continued to improve, then Gerrard should stay on.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that he and his coaching staff went away and had a very big think during lockdown and the off season, and he’s come back a much improved coach.

Stevie221 was a lucky guy. He was one of the chosen few who were allowed into the grand lodge meeting back then, when it was decided how operation stop the 9.75 in a row was to be played out.

He probably could have ended his post by saying "people have no idea how high this goes" but that would just have blown his cover.

Personally, I’ve never been happier to be completely wrong about something. I don’t see any issue bumping these threads for a laugh either, I’ve done it before, and I’d rather face up and take the ribbing than hide away and pretend it never happened ala the “punt Morelos for £2m” and “get that shitebag Barisic out of here” brigades. I did say that if this team did it I’d offer my apologies and kowtow to every one of them. That hasn’t changed, when it’s official I’ll have some apologies to make and some arses to kiss.

But if me being very wrong means Rangers are doing it right, then I’m absolutely fine with being very wrong B-D (plus I was due to get one wrong eventually, what with my superb track record, and I don’t think my pessimism was unreasonable either given the shit show that was the second half of the two previous seasons:shh:)
At the time of me posting this thread it was to gauge how other fans felt. I felt quite negative the way everything was handled. How can you “end a season” and “continue a cup”, the vote of no confidence, Dundee email, media bias, I just thought there’s no way we’ll be allowed to prevent them getting 9.7.
I’m delighted to be wrong!

At the time of me posting this thread it was to gauge how other fans felt. I felt quite negative the way everything was handled. How can you “end a season” and “continue a cup”, the vote of no confidence, Dundee email, media bias, I just thought there’s no way we’ll be allowed to prevent them getting 9.7.

I felt the same, and still think if the gap was a lot closer we would be seeing every dirty trick in the book played by the powers at be (when you think you've seen them all they would have impressed us again with the new depths they could plunge). By the time it hit them that no collapse by us was on the cards we were too far gone.
Their arrogance has helped us take them completely by surprise and shocked them all to the core.
Not taking anything away from us, boardroom down to the players on the park, and last but not least every Bear who refused to stop believing this time would come, by saying this.

Last edited:
Just thinking if we can.
I’m not the pessimistic type but when it come to Rangers that’s sometimes my default position.

I hope we can but I’m not convinced we will, as I don’t see too many leaders in that squad and that concerns me.
I think we can do it I really can

No trips abroad and no winter break helped our momentum unlike last january 2020, we had beaten the mhankeys but the euphoria of that was stifled by the winter shutdown.

It was evident even in the first game back against Stranraer in the scottish cup.

We never got it together back then.

Thick skin loyal this is what I'd be aiming for - rotate Kent, Hagi, Ferguson and Aribo

............................McGregor.................

Tav..Goldson..Edmundson..Helander..Barisic

..................Jack.......Kamara...............

.............Hagi ............... ..Ferguson..................

.................Aribo......Dykes...............

Paterson
Bassey
Davis
Kent
Arfield
Stewart
Shankland or new St
Murphy

This made my eyes hurt.

I felt the same, and still think if the gap was a lot closer we would be seeing every dirty trick in the book played by the powers at be (when you think you've seen them all they would have impressed us again with the new depths they could plunge). By the time it hit them that no collapse by us was on the cards we were too far gone.
Their arrogance has let us take them completely by surprise and shocked them all to the core.

Not taking anything away from us, boardroom down to the players on the park, and least of all every Bear who refused to stop believing this time would come, by saying this.
We have been relentless this season, underpinned by a defence that has been absolutely magnificent.
I think the mentally challengeds assumed we would collapse in January, and used that as their comfort blanket when their season was going tits up. Unfortunately for them, we had a brilliant January, starting with the Old Firm victory which totally broke them. That’s the day when I truly believed that we’d be champions 2020/21.
It’s been one helluva ride this season, and when we eventually clinch 55 it will be, for me personally, the greatest and most important title win in our history.

We have been relentless this season, underpinned by a defence that has been absolutely magnificent.
I think the mentally challengeds assumed we would collapse in January, and used that as their comfort blanket when their season was going tits up. Unfortunately for them, we had a brilliant January, starting with the Old Firm victory which totally broke them. That’s the day when I truly believed that we’d be champions 2020/21.
It’s been one helluva ride this season, and when we eventually clinch 55 it will be, for me personally, the greatest and most important title win in our history.
I started to think it was ours when Ross county beat them in November in the cup. They were absolutely shyt. I think they knew them too as that’s around the time of the shark attack.

Looking back on this there were some amount of people who had the tims winning the league before a ball was kicked

I genuinely don’t blame anyone for being pessimistic after how last season ended. There has never been clearer skullduggery in the history of Scottish football than that vote. Disgusting!
I am however one of those who always believes that Rangers are going to win the league at the start of every season. ( even in the early 80s!!) It doesn’t always come true, but if ever I had a dream that matched this season, I’d go back to the LSD and try to straighten my head! :))

I didn’t seem to comment on this thread, but there were others at the time where I said we would win it.

When asked why I simply said that Aribo, Hagi & Kent would contribute goals + assists out with our striker & they have.

This was prior to Roofe coming in, so overall I was correct that we get a better spread of goals.

We recruited very well in the summer, and the players we already had have turned into better players as they’ve developed (something a lot of people failed to grasp in the summer).

It's hardly trolling. If people are willing to put their head above the parapet with bold statements, they do so knowing they are open to a bit of banter should they make a Jeremy Hunt of it. Which a number of people in this thread did.

It's just a laugh given how elated we all currently are.

It's also nice every now and then to allow people to look back on some of the hotter takes/more hysterical moments, as a touchstone for future moments
Exactly, I don't see it as trolling.
I did not post on the original thread but if I had put something with a less than confident prediction i would be happy to take the ribbing.
It's been nothing short of brilliant how big a turnaround this whole season has been with the defence being as solid as it is, everyone chipping in goals instead of it all being totally dependent on Morelos and just how this group of players know exactly their job regardless of the starting 11.

The management team have more than repaid the faith they have been given by the board and the fans.
Party time is not far away.

A bit unfair , im sure there was similar threads at the start of the last few seasons and the posters who were proved correct then saying they didnt think we would win the league that season never came back on to question those who did. ;)

Gerrard deserves immense credit because - as the earlier posts on this thread demonstrate - we ended the "season" looking nowhere near good enough to become champions. Another post-Christmas collapse, defeats to teams at the bottom of the league, another exit from the Scottish Cup - none of this suggested a team that could go on and win it quite comfortably this year.

I'm not sure Covid kept him his job, but the way the season panned out certainly helped take the attention away from some God awful performances, and most people were of the opinion that if 2020-2021 panned out like the last two then it wasn't enough to keep him here for another season.

There will be some inevitable revision but the fans response to the Hearts game was hysterical and by the time Hamilton beat us at Ibrox the place had turned mutinous. The prospect of the season limping on like that for another three months was too much to bear and, as I suggested yesterday, the curtailing of the league has actually worked in our favour - we were never winning it and stopping it early gave us the momentum and motivation to go about this season.

The improvement from one season to another under the same manager has probably been the greatest in my lifetime, and certainly the biggest for a Rangers manager who hadn't previously won anything. Gloomy predictions for this season were totally justified. They've turned out to be wrong, but they were justified. It's no different to backing a horse for any other number of reasons.

It’s obviously a blessing that we’re so far ahead, but I can’t imagine how badly we’d have been treated by certain match officials if it was neck and neck.

Even in the past few weeks, Celtic have been getting everything.

I started to think it was ours when Ross county beat them in November in the cup. They were absolutely shyt. I think they knew them too as that’s around the time of the shark attack.

Prior to that game I watched a couple of their earlier games against Dundee United then St Johnstone before we played them in the first Old Firm. Didn't want to get ahead of myself but even then I was thinking we could beat them to the title by even being pretty consistent never mind how good we have been.

Even around half their wins have been a struggle for them winning by the odd goal or needing Eduoard to bail them out, Aberdeen last week, St J the week before, Motherwell at home recently as well.

Hibs and Jack Ross must surely believe they can be caught for 2nd.

Definitely. Of course what a lot of the returning “I told you so’s” won’t mention is that they also said that we’d learned from our mistakes after Gerrard’s first season and would stop their 8.75 last season (I remember a lot of the names). In fact I’m pretty sure if we’d cùnted this season too a lot of them would be here now saying “aw well we’ll do it next season and stop the 9.75”.

But if this makes them feel even better then that’s fine, like I said I’ll take being wrong and Rangers winning over being right and Rangers losing, every single time. And I’d rather front up than hide away like the psuedo-Guardiola’s that told us Barisic was shite, Cumdog was a better option than Morelos, Windass was going to be an EPL star and Kyle Lafferty was going to tear it up second time round because he managed to score for Hearts against Celtic B-D

Last edited:
Juat checked back my comment and it wasnt as negative as i thought it would be. Just said it would be difficult.

I didn’t seem to comment on this thread, but there were others at the time where I said we would win it.

When asked why I simply said that Aribo, Hagi & Kent would contribute goals + assists out with our striker & they have.

This was prior to Roofe coming in, so overall I was correct that we get a better spread of goals.

We recruited very well in the summer, and the players we already had have turned into better players as they’ve developed (something a lot of people failed to grasp in the summer).
Surprised there wasn't another thread checking if you were okay, buddy B-)

We will need to be like Pep's Barca this year.

The decisions that will go against us/for them will defy belief this season.

The refs, compliance officer, governing bodies, appeals panels and Scottish media will do absolutely everything in their power to hinder us.

The April/May shambles of this year has shown us the blatant lengths they will go to.
Turns out we were actually like Pep's Barca this year :cool:

Disclaimer: This was my opinion prior to the signing of Shane Duffy

celtic will win the league. Anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves. Not because 'we wont be allowed to " but because they are better, its that simple.
Can I quote this come March? I say March because we will win this league with time to spare.
Well done, Stevie.
Neck on the line and you called it correctly.
To RBG72 and his “likers”, your neck was also on the line.
Unfortunately, you have been decapitated.
Well, your pessimism should be “decapitated” from your minds.

Back