Can we take 9 points at home?

Gaz030191

After an ideal start and 3 points already secured, do you think we'll take all 9 points at home this year?

On average it takes 13 points to win a group in Europe, and 9-10 points secures 2nd.

Had a debate with some guy in work who said it was a great start but he only thought we'd pick up 4 more points at home, as we'd draw with Porto.

Personally I think we'll get max points at home and it'll see us through. Just wondering everyone's own expectations.

Porto will probably be the hardest opponent we’ll have faced since 2010 when we played Man Utd and Valencia.

Reactions: VGM
I agree with the guy at your work OP. We’ll beat young boys at home and we’ll draw with Porto.

I genuinely think we’ll take feyenoord away from home though and get another 3 points on the board. I didn’t know what to expect from them last night, but they didn’t put up as much of a challenge as I expected.

Granted a huge part of that was down to us, so we just need to do it again away from home.

If we could sneak a point away from home against young boys, I think we could go through as winners. But don’t want to get carried away, I’d take second place right now and stop the remaining group games if I could

To qualify from this group would be a major achievement and I think we will need help even if we win the three home games. I’d like to see every game we aren’t involved in end up in a draw. We need the other teams to do as much damage to each other as possible. Draws will be our friend in that regard.

To qualify from this group would be a major achievement and I think we will need help even if we win the three home games. I’d like to see every game we aren’t involved in end up in a draw. We need the other teams to do as much damage to each other as possible. Draws will be our friend in that regard.
It’s a really tight group where I feel every game could go either way , hopefully most go ours.

I see no reason we can’t get 9 points at home. Porto were pumped by Krasnodar in the champions league qualifying and they were then pumped by Basel who finished 2nd in the Swiss league last season.

One big thing to remember about the away games is that Young Boys play on a plastic pitch which will give them an advantage over everyone so they might also get 9 points at home.

Off the top of my head thinking back over European campaigns we tend to do fairly well in the first three games then fall away in the second three games. The league has to be priority but if we play like we did last night then there’s no reason we can’t qualify for the next round.

If we don’t, we need one away win.

10 points has to be the aim. We can definitely beat Young Boys at home. After that, it has to be 4 points from 4 games.

Our pathetic home record garnered over the last 27 years competing in group stages suggests no, but we live in hope.

I might have missed a year but I doubt we have ever won, more than one home game from any section.

After an ideal start and 3 points already secured, do you think we'll take all 9 points at home this year?

On average it takes 13 points to win a group in Europe, and 9-10 points secures 2nd.

Had a debate with some guy in work who said it was a great start but he only thought we'd pick up 4 more points at home, as we'd draw with Porto.

Personally I think we'll get max points at home and it'll see us through. Just wondering everyone's own expectations.
If the crowd get behind the team in the manner that they did on Thursday night, then we can and we will.
I am of the opinion that three home wins can see us through the group.
But these games aren't like knock out matches with tactics to see you overcome a two-leg tie, there is always a prerogative to take the game to the opponent home and away to gain points, so it remains a far more uncertain dynamic.

Whatever, we are now back in the mix of exciting European competition and if the rest of the group can offer the level of entertainment that Thursday threw up, then it will be a rollercoaster of knuckle-whitening nerve-racking and sometimes excruciating football joy.
Steven Gerrard is giving it to us in spades.
The bluddy Bstrd!

We have never won more than one group stage game (at Ibrox)in any UEFA competition since 1992/3. Our best so-far is a win and two draws, which we have managed a few times. That record exists to be broken but a four point swing from our best showings is a big ask.

Edit - talking about home games only, should have been more specific.

Last edited:
We have never won more than one group stage game in any UEFA competition since 1992/3. Our best so-far is a win and two draws, which we have managed a few times. That record exists to be broken but a four point swing from our best showings is a big ask.
Genuinely never knew that - crazy stat!

What an achievement it would be for this team to beat that considering all we’ve been through in the last few years and the quality of some our teams pre 2012 who haven’t managed it :))

Genuinely never knew that - crazy stat!

What an achievement it would be for this team to beat that considering all we’ve been through in the last few years and the quality of some our teams pre 2012 who haven’t managed it :))

It's also not true considering we beat both Lyon & Stuttgart in 2007-08 season.

Also seem to remember us winning all 4 games I think under Le Guen in the UEFA cup?

It will be very difficult but of course its possible.
Young boys and Porto are both a step up from Feyenoord.

From what I noticed of their team last night it looked like Porto were resting a few key players and keeping them for the league instead. Think they'll expect to be able to get out of this group in 2nd gear which might leave the door open more than people think for us to take something from those games.

Also seem to remember us winning all 4 games I think under Le Guen in the UEFA cup?
Thought he meant home games no?

We beat Lyon away.

You might be right about Le Guen but I’m half cut and can’t be bothered checking :)

We have never won more than one group stage game in any UEFA competition since 1992/3. Our best so-far is a win and two draws, which we have managed a few times. That record exists to be broken but a four point swing from our best showings is a big ask.
Didn't we get a win and 3 draws last season?

Sorry guys, meant at home in reference to the thread title!

And earlier poster is correct 2006/07 it looks like we won two at Ibrox, so I'm wrong. That season remains the outlier in 27 years though.

Last edited:
Let's not forget the result on Thursday i thought flattered Feyenoord..and we've got Ryan Kent to come back so my glass is half full...WATP

We have never won more than one group stage game (at Ibrox)in any UEFA competition since 1992/3. Our best so-far is a win and two draws, which we have managed a few times. That record exists to be broken but a four point swing from our best showings is a big ask.

That's a shocker to be fair , we have had some really poor results in there.

We can, but I think Porto will be our undoing and Young Boys will be tough too. To be honest we’ve ended up in a really tough group all round.

We’re capable though.

That’s wrong .

We beat maccabi Haifa and partizan both at Ibrox in the 2006 uefa cup under Paul le guen

I’ve a feeling we always start well in European group stages and then tail off.
Maybe I’m completely wrong but would be interested to see the stats on this.
The atmosphere could well be a deciding factor as I don’t see Young boys or Porto fancying it much.

If Porto have won group by the time they come to us. They won’t be playing strongest team v us
That said imo we go through group unbeaten

9 points at home is doable,but we really need to start taking our chances. That first half we had the chances to blow them away and put our feet up and have a cigar for the second half.

That’s wrong .

We beat maccabi Haifa and partizan both at Ibrox in the 2006 uefa cup under Paul le guen

You are correct and it has been pointed out already. It was the only occasion though and still leaves us with around one win from three average at Ibrox, possibly lower due to 1995/96 and 2009/10.

Never say never. It is a big ask, however a much poorer Rangers team than this one took 4 points from Porto in 05/06.

Lyon was away we beat them 3-0 in France. They returned the favour at Ibrox in the final game

I think we can! I think we'll qualify from the group, tough games but very winnable. We'll pick up points away from home

I have a feeling the fixture layout could go against us although it paid off for Rapid last year

You are correct and it has been pointed out already. It was the only occasion though and still leaves us with around one win from three average at Ibrox, possibly lower due to 1995/96 and 2009/10.
Was it not also a different format then? 5 teams in group only playing each other once rather than 4 teams playing home/away.

Latest posts

Back